Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

onemile

Big grin

you missed this one "5ks IMO are a necessary evil.  I don't ENJOY them but I think in order to do speedwork you really need to do them on occasion to tune up your paces.  "

Dang, homegirl--always calling me out! +1 to your comment that the Speed gets tougher starting with the 1k repeats.

Smashy!!!

I read very selectively. Wink

Big grin

you missed this one "5ks IMO are a necessary evil.  I don't ENJOY them but I think in order to do speedwork you really need to do them on occasion to tune up your paces.  "

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

I must be weird....I actually like 5Ks!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

In the last few 5ks I've run, it was a real struggle not to puke. I start retching toward the end and it's just rough. Dead

I wish I knew how to fix this but it's like I get to a point and my face gets hot and the puke starts rising up.  TMI and gross, I know.

me too. The other thing about 5k's are that the people there are just different IMO. lots of newer runners (not a bad thing)

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

In the last few 5ks I've run, it was a real struggle not to puke. I start retching toward the end and it's just rough. Dead

I wish I knew how to fix this but it's like I get to a point and my face gets hot and the puke starts rising up.  TMI and gross, I know.

Exactly!

onemile

Exactly?? What do you know? From what I've heard, you've never even run one.

Joking

Exactly!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

5ks IMO are a necessary evil.  I don't ENJOY them but I think in order to do speedwork you really need to do them on occasion to tune up your paces.  I was considering running one soon because I think I could PR after all the Hansons speed stuff but I don't want to disrupt my training right now so I will likely wait.

onemile - could not agree more. For you guys doing Hanson, are you using your 5k PR (if you have one) or paces from book? I've really come to like 5k's the last year or so especially winning my AG back-to-back last spring. The one AG medal I got is nicer than most of my marathon medals.Smile My last 5k i ran last month was by far my best one. Not because it was my fastest, but probably one of my best paced races. First mile fast, but miles 2 & 3 were the closest in times than any of of my others. (6:17,6:41,6:46). Previous 5k's splits all over the place. Think all the quality I've done this cycle really helped with that.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

That's the rumor I heard too. Time to man up cbus!Smile

Joking

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

Joking

By "exactly," I meant that's exactly why I don't want to race a 5k. And while it's true I've never raced a 5k, I almost puked a few times just doing speed work, and that had rest-intervals. But, okay, I'll keep my mouth shut on this topic.

onemile

By "exactly," I meant that's exactly why I don't want to race a 5k. And while it's true I've never raced a 5k, I almost puked a few times just doing speed work, and that had rest-intervals. But, okay, I'll keep my mouth shut on this topic.

NO! That is the wrong answer. The right answer is "Ok, I'll go run one to experience the joy first hand!"

Big grin

onemile

I started off using my 5k PR (which is from Sept 2012).  But I also tried to do them a touch faster if I could.  (My 5k PR pace is 7:19 - and I was trying to run in the 7:15-7:20 range.).  Hansons suggests using a race for this if you can instead of your marathon goal time.  Which makes sense because they are supposed to be done at VO2Max pace.

After my 15k, I tried to speed up my intervals closer to 7:05-7:10 because the 15k indicated a slightly faster 5k time than my PR.  I sorta went by effort.  Sorta a guess of what I think I could run for a 5k right now.

onemile - could not agree more. For you guys doing Hanson, are you using your 5k PR (if you have one) or paces from book? I've really come to like 5k's the last year or so especially winning my AG back-to-back last spring. The one AG medal I got is nicer than most of my marathon medals.Smile My last 5k i ran last month was by far my best one. Not because it was my fastest, but probably one of my best paced races. First mile fast, but miles 2 & 3 were the closest in times than any of of my others. (6:17,6:41,6:46). Previous 5k's splits all over the place. Think all the quality I've done this cycle really helped with that.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

that makes sense. i used my recent 5k for all my paces based on daniels' VDOT system. probably end up running few more 5k's before I start hanson plan in July.

I started off using my 5k PR (which is from Sept 2012).  But I also tried to do them a touch faster if I could.  (My 5k PR pace is 7:19 - and I was trying to run in the 7:15-7:20 range.).  Hansons suggests using a race for this if you can instead of your marathon goal time.  Which makes sense because they are supposed to be done at VO2Max pace.

After my 15k, I tried to speed up my intervals closer to 7:05-7:10 because the 15k indicated a slightly faster 5k time than my PR.  I sorta went by effort.  Sorta a guess of what I think I could run for a 5k right now.

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

NO! That is the wrong answer. The right answer is "Ok, I'll go run one to experience the joy first hand!"

Big grin

I don't wanna be right. Wink

bagopux

Signed up for a 10-miler this weekend.  Considering that I've never raced this distance before, I'm pretty psyched:  Guaranteed PR!