Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Smashy!!!

Docket:  I don't know but between the dailies and the butt thread, those people have all lost it!

CBus:  Long story short....apparently, it is only ok to give people running advice on the B & B board if it is solicited and it is positive!  You can not disagree with anyone either.

Ami, with all due respect, I don't want to know the drama. I'm very rarely on the Beginners group, mostly because, I find, running is like the last thing discussed there. And when it's talked about, it's not as analytical in tone, as it is here. More, encouraging than analyzing. Not a bad thing, but I enjoy more analytic discussions---although I do need the occasional encouragement (see, my marathon disaster). I will, however, post the occasional snarky comment, if I find one of your all there, and read a RR written by a Donut.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

But isn't the track faster than outside (or so that girl has said)?  How did the effort feel?

I was at the indoor track where it's easy to get carried away but I can't count the times I looked at my watch and it said 8:23-8:24 and I said better slow down because cbus will be stalking my log.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Thanks.  Now I want a donut!

Ami, with all due respect, I don't want to know the drama. I'm very rarely on the Beginners group, mostly because, I find, running is like the last thing discussed there. And when it's talked about, it's not as analytical in tone, as it is here. More, encouraging than analyzing. Not a bad thing, but I enjoy more analytic discussions---although I do need the occasional encouragement (see, my marathon disaster). I will, however, post the occasional snarky comment, if I find one of your all there, and read a RR written by a Donut.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Mmm...donuts!

CBus:  I do not involve myself in the drama whatsoever...just laugh when I read it!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

But I was at the indoor track.  It's definitely feels easier there and then you have to pass people and stuff so I feel like I have to get around them quicker (it's only 2 lanes).  But those are just excuses.  I'll do better next week, I promise.

do stalk your log, and yes, I am creepy like that.

Seriously though (and I'm beginning to realize my "seriously" is losing all value), but seriously though, I take it as a good sign that your Tempo pace keeps creeping down. That to me is a sign that you are getting stronger at your GP. The more Strength workouts you do, the easier Tempo day will feel. But I'm gonna keep nagging you to stay disciplined on Tempo days. The last think you want is to go into your race, start out around 8:25, and then think "Well, I was doing this pace on Tempo days..." You gotta, gotta, gotta get disciplined now during training so that you are disciplined on race day. That's why I think you gotta commit to pace, and not a range. Lock it in at say 8:32--that way you can be totally objective about your Tempo and race day pace. But let's say you commit to a 8:35 goal pace. Well, some of your Tempo miles creeped down to 8:27, which is only :02 away from your Strength pace--in fact, you are closer to your Strength pace than you are to your GP! And you don't plan on racing at your Strength pace, do you?

Okay rant done.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

That's all it took?Smile it don't count if you don't throw up.Smile

Okay, seriously. If you do a 5k in a bikini, then I'll race one. Seriously.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Canuck

Hey all.  Busy week, kind of crazy and weird.  I'm able to run, I just haven't actually done so yet due to life stuff.  I fell down the stairs at 6 am  yesterday morning, that was fun.  Fortunately I didn't hurt myself, just a bruised knee and elbow, but the cats' water bowl flying up in the air and drenching me with water was a bit much!  We have a rainfall warning tonight - supposed to get about 2 inches of rain between today and tomorrow, so I'm going to the gym tonight for spin class and weights.

Anyway, you guys have managed about 15 pages since my last post, so I've skimmed, but can't remember much before the last couple of pages.  Sorry, I'm a bad forumite.  I'll just give you all a group "good run!" and leave it at that!

Cbus - on the subject of your pace rants, I don't disagree that people should try and stick to a pace for MP training, but one thing you're forgetting that it isn't a piece of cake to hit an exact pace number on the GPS (and GPS isn't exact anyway).  I don't know about everyone else, but I try not to look at my GPS every minute while I'm running, I glance down occasionally to get a sense of my lap pace and adjust as needed, but most of the time I don't hit the same pace for each mile.  If I'm within 5 secs either way, I'm usually pretty happy with that, and I generally prefer to be 5 secs fast.  You're talking about trying to hit 8:32, not the easiest task and frankly, more mental energy then I'm willing to put out on a run.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

White Lightning

Afternoon everyone....

cmb - congrats to your husband

DTF - I use my footpod with my garmin.  Takes some adjustments depending on how fast i'm running but i'm always within about 5 seconds of my TM speed, something about an incomplete log I can't deal with

Amik - Sorry about the snow :-(  Its almost over

bago - I always shut off the GPS manually when i'm inside and don't have any troubles with my data.  I have mine set to every second data recording as well

cbus - nice job on the tempo.  No way would I run a 5k in my marathon cycle.  Still aren't you just the wee bit curious to see how fast you are?

onemile - nice job on your 8

me - 8 GA miles finished at a very easy 10:07.  My quads still feel pretty trashed so really trying to take it easy.  T-shirt running today was simply amazing with a nice dead calm wind.  Finished the month with 170.2 miles which is my second highest month ever but would be my highest if I had two more days in the month, so its kinda a PR I guess.  Also lost about two pounds in February since i've been more serious about my diet again.   Asics GT-2000 seems to be working out so far with about 30 miles on them, heel drop doesn't seem to be bothering me.

And I too am a training log stalker.  If you want to be great at something, do the things that great people do.

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Ouch!  I bet the cats were looking at you saying WTF?  Our bowl!

Hey all.  Busy week, kind of crazy and weird.  I'm able to run, I just haven't actually done so yet due to life stuff.  I fell down the stairs at 6 am  yesterday morning, that was fun.  Fortunately I didn't hurt myself, just a bruised knee and elbow, but the cats' water bowl flying up in the air and drenching me with water was a bit much!  We have a rainfall warning tonight - supposed to get about 2 inches of rain between today and tomorrow, so I'm going to the gym tonight for spin class and weights.

Anyway, you guys have managed about 15 pages since my last post, so I've skimmed, but can't remember much before the last couple of pages.  Sorry, I'm a bad forumite.  I'll just give you all a group "good run!" and leave it at that!

Cbus - on the subject of your pace rants, I don't disagree that people should try and stick to a pace for MP training, but one thing you're forgetting that it isn't a piece of cake to hit an exact pace number on the GPS (and GPS isn't exact anyway).  I don't know about everyone else, but I try not to look at my GPS every minute while I'm running, I glance down occasionally to get a sense of my lap pace and adjust as needed, but most of the time I don't hit the same pace for each mile.  If I'm within 5 secs either way, I'm usually pretty happy with that, and I generally prefer to be 5 secs fast.  You're talking about trying to hit 8:32, not the easiest task and frankly, more mental energy then I'm willing to put out on a run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Now I know nobody looks at my log, since I have nothing great for people to look at!  Better that way as, contrary to what people think, I like to live in the shadows.

Afternoon everyone....

cmb - congrats to your husband

DTF - I use my footpod with my garmin.  Takes some adjustments depending on how fast i'm running but i'm always within about 5 seconds of my TM speed, something about an incomplete log I can't deal with

Amik - Sorry about the snow :-(  Its almost over

bago - I always shut off the GPS manually when i'm inside and don't have any troubles with my data.  I have mine set to every second data recording as well

cbus - nice job on the tempo.  No way would I run a 5k in my marathon cycle.  Still aren't you just the wee bit curious to see how fast you are?

onemile - nice job on your 8

me - 8 GA miles finished at a very easy 10:07.  My quads still feel pretty trashed so really trying to take it easy.  T-shirt running today was simply amazing with a nice dead calm wind.  Finished the month with 170.2 miles which is my second highest month ever but would be my highest if I had two more days in the month, so its kinda a PR I guess.  Also lost about two pounds in February since i've been more serious about my diet again.   Asics GT-2000 seems to be working out so far with about 30 miles on them, heel drop doesn't seem to be bothering me.

And I too am a training log stalker.  If you want to be great at something, do the things that great people do.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

Now I know nobody looks at my log, since I have nothing great for people to look at!  Better that way as, contrary to what people think, I like to live in the shadows.

Every time you run another marathon I go stalk your log saying how the F--- did she just run another one

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Well, when you put it that way....Joking

Every time you run another marathon I go stalk your log saying how the F--- did she just run another one

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Today's Tempo kicked my ASS!!! 7 mi @ 8:12 + wu/cd = 9.25 mi total. But I was seriously dead on today's run. Like I started smelling like a corpse toward the end of my run. I think I might need to take an URD tomorrow. I know someone is going to say, "it's supposed to be tough," but I'm kinda worried that I might be crossing over into overtrained territory.

Zoe, I guess I disagree. The whole reason I got a Garmin was to run pinpoint paces. Granted, it's not exact, but it's a whole heck of a lot better than Timex + Google Maps. On easy runs, I don't really look at my watch, except to make sure I'm not running too fast. But on quality days, I make sure I'm within :02 of my desired pace. And yes, that requires a lot of watch hawking. And yes, it takes a lot of mental effort. But I guess I feel that's the point of training.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Canuck

We'll just have to disagree then.  I'm pretty sure that being within 5 seconds of goal training pace and avoiding the neck strain from checking the Garmin every 30 seconds is still getting "the point of training".  To each their own.

Hey all,

Today's Tempo kicked my ASS!!! 7 mi @ 8:12 + wu/cd = 9.25 mi total. But I was seriously dead on today's run. Like I started smelling like a corpse toward the end of my run. I think I might need to take an URD tomorrow. I know someone is going to say, "it's supposed to be tough," but I'm kinda worried that I might be crossing over into overtrained territory.

Zoe, I guess I disagree. The whole reason I got a Garmin was to run pinpoint paces. Granted, it's not exact, but it's a whole heck of a lot better than Timex + Google Maps. On easy runs, I don't really look at my watch, except to make sure I'm not running too fast. But on quality days, I make sure I'm within :02 of my desired pace. And yes, that requires a lot of watch hawking. And yes, it takes a lot of mental effort. But I guess I feel that's the point of training.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

White Lightning

I agree with Cbus, I can stay within about +/- :02 seconds if I pay attention, especially the faster i'm running.  The first .15 mile it can be a crap shoot but after its pretty spot on.  Was running today wondering when someone is coming out with HUD sunglasses that hook to our garmins..........

Play the Game Hard!