Sub-4 Marathon Group

What's Cookin' (Read 232 times)

akalei

Banshee: quite possibly a dumb question, but by ripe bananas are we talking browning? Like what I would use for banana bread?

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Trail Monster

I figured just not green. I used nice, yellow bananas for both recipes and they seem fine.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

My year 'round everyday breakfast.  The following is added to one cup of water.

Quantity  Calories     Carbs        Fat       Protein    Fiber
        Flaxseed, Organic, finely ground per 1 svg (= 2 tblsp)         0.5         40.0          2.5           2.5          1.5         2.0
        Oatmeal (1/2 cup)                                                                 1.0       150.0         27.0          2.5          5.0         4.0
        Whey Protein Isolate chocolate  (scoop)                              1.0        116.0           3.0          0.0        26.0         0.0
        bananas (medium) per ounce                                               4.0        100.0         24.0          0.4         0.0         4.0
        Strawberries, 1 oz = 28 grams                                              4.0          36.0          8.0           0.4         0.0         4.0
        Baby Spinach 1 cup                                                              1.0           7.0           1.1           0.1          0.9         0.7
        Breakfast smoothie  Total:                                                                 449.0         65.6           6.0        33.4       14.7

Note:  I usually put in more spinach than that.  It can't be tasted anyway, so it is like free nutrition.  One can also add some vanilla concentrate and/or sprinkle some cinnamon in.  I usually add several ice cubes as well.  It adds some thickness.

White Lightning

Here's the link to the sweet potato and black bean enchilada recipe I mentioned on the other board.  I've made it several times now and it's always delicious.  Also, to save time, I don't roll up the enchiladas; just layer it like lasagna--it tastes the same and works much better for me because I use brown rice tortillas, which have a tendency to break when you roll them if they're not warm enough!

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/black-bean-sweet-potato-enchiladas-00100000064281/index.html

tried this tonight, very quick and easy and really good.  I added a jalapeño and some cilantro to the sauce and went half the cheese.  The filling was great with the sweet potato

Play the Game Hard!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I am making this tonight: Cinnamon Toast Crunch Banana Bread with some modifications...

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Banana Bread

Just when you thought banana bread couldn’t get any better, it does!  Greek yogurt makes this bread super moist, while Cinnamon Toast Crunch adds just a hint of spice, sweetness, and best of all, crunch!

Makes 2 loaves

Prep time: 15 minutes

Cook time: 40 minutes

• 2 ripe bananas, mashed
            • 4 tablespoons canola oil [I will use applesauce instead - can't do oil before running...ends badly!]
            • 1 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (I use Chobani[you can use soy or coconut yogurt too, or extra banana instead of this]
            • 2 large eggs [or flaxseed...i'll probably leave the eggs though]
            • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
            • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
            • 3/4 teaspoon salt
            • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
            • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
            • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
            • 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, crushed [using Kashi in the food processor]

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray two 8-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, stir the bananas, oil, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until mixed well.  In a separate small mixing bowl, stir the sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just mixed.  Stir in 1 cup of the cereal.

Spread the batter into the prepared pans.  Sprinkle the remaining cereal over the top.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

tried this tonight, very quick and easy and really good.  I added a jalapeño and some cilantro to the sauce and went half the cheese.  The filling was great with the sweet potato

Oh this looks great Akalei and Josh.  I'm gonna try it.  I use the whole wheat tortillas too...it sometimes ends badly.

I also did a Mexican Lasagna a few weeks ago...you can make it regular, vegetarian, or vegan, whatever your choice is.

Instead of using lasagna noodles, I used tortillas and layered them with salsa, black beans, sauteed onions, cheese, and sauteed mushrooms and then just baked the whole thing until it looked done (I cook like that- grew up in a restaurant...i follow no rules...I just cook it til it looks ready to eat).

White Lightning

I was most impressed with the sweet potatoes, they tasted great mixed with the black beans.  Even if not making enchiladas its great for a burrito filling.  I'll eat that filling once a week I liked it so much

Play the Game Hard!

White Lightning

So pizza is my favorite thing in the world but i'm always trying to make things healthier.  So here is my whole wheat flatbread pizza dough recipe, makes two 10" pizzas

1 packet (.25 oz) active dry yeast

1 cup warm water (110F)

2 cups Whole Wheat Bread Flour (or high gluten whole wheat flour) or use regular white bread flour

2 tbsp Olive Oil

2 tsp kosher/sea salt

2 tsp sugar

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add the olive oil

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt and stir well.

3. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix until a ball has formed

4. knead the dough, either in your stand mixer with a dough hook or on the counter. You may need to add more flour if the dough is too sticky, it should pull away from the sides of the bowl or counter clean. This takes about 10 minutes

5. Form the dough into a tight ball and placed in a lightly oiled bowl, about 3 times the size of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and rise until doubled in volume, about 30-60 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees F

6. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and cut in half.

7. With your fingertips punch out all the air out of the dough and form another round ball and let sit for another 15 minutes or so

8. Roll the dough out flat. If the dough springs back on itself after rolling out, let rest for another 15 minutes and try again until it isn't springy

9. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil, especially on the crust and place your toppings, sauce, whatever on top

10. Place onto a pizza stone in the oven, or a pizza pan, and cook until golden brown.

Play the Game Hard!

cmb4314

We made this kale and white bean stew last night - it was delicious, as well as really easy.

Has a small amount of sausage in it, so not so good for the vegetarians of the bunch, but overall a really tasty dish.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Made slow cooker chicken w/ carrot ginger marinade last night.  Basically- cut up chicken breast, throw every veggie into the crockpot that you own, and then pour in some carrot ginger soup- eat.  So good.  I'm really in a soup/stew mood lately because its COLD here in NYC again- 28 today- glad its not a running day.

So pizza is my favorite thing in the world but i'm always trying to make things healthier.  So here is my whole wheat flatbread pizza dough recipe, makes two 10" pizzas

1 packet (.25 oz) active dry yeast

1 cup warm water (110F)

2 cups Whole Wheat Bread Flour (or high gluten whole wheat flour) or use regular white bread flour

2 tbsp Olive Oil

2 tsp kosher/sea salt

2 tsp sugar

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add the olive oil

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt and stir well.

3. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix until a ball has formed

4. knead the dough, either in your stand mixer with a dough hook or on the counter. You may need to add more flour if the dough is too sticky, it should pull away from the sides of the bowl or counter clean. This takes about 10 minutes

5. Form the dough into a tight ball and placed in a lightly oiled bowl, about 3 times the size of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and rise until doubled in volume, about 30-60 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees F

6. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and cut in half.

7. With your fingertips punch out all the air out of the dough and form another round ball and let sit for another 15 minutes or so

8. Roll the dough out flat. If the dough springs back on itself after rolling out, let rest for another 15 minutes and try again until it isn't springy

9. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil, especially on the crust and place your toppings, sauce, whatever on top

10. Place onto a pizza stone in the oven, or a pizza pan, and cook until golden brown.

OHHHHHH MAN!!!!! Thanks Josh

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

LCanida

LC Runs

Banana, PB, Bread is my Long Run fuel staple!!

more like snack staple too! I could have been kin to Elvis.

DetroitTigerFan

Food question !

a friend of mine asked me why runners always like pasta.  I told him a little about carb loading.  However, he countered saying that pasta is not a "high glycemic" food  He mentioned that normal pasta is just sugar and other foods may be suited better. So, i'm confused now - lol

I'm not an expert in this area - any thoughts?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

White Lightning

I do agree that there are better carbs out there for us.  Fruits and Vegetables have a much higher nutritional value but during a carb load you would need to eat an insane amount of fruits and vegetables and that could cause some “interesting” GI issues.  2-3 days before a race we are more worried about making sure our glycogen stays topped off and pasta is about the most carb dense food per weight out there.  Obviously things like brown rice, oatmeal, cornmeal, etc... could be just as effective.  I highly recommend Fitzgerald's new book The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition

Play the Game Hard!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I always stick to sweet potatoes and rice before a race of any distance.  I'm not gluten intolerant or anything, I just gravitate towards those things and oatmeal naturally before I know I am putting a lot of stress on my body otherwise.  They are high glycemic but easier to digest.