Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

question - are the Pure Flows enough shoe for long runs/marathons? I have been rotating between the Launch and the Connect. My shin hurts far less after my runs in the connect. This tells me that either I need a new pair of Launch or a smaller heel drop is better for my biomech. The flow are a MM or 2 less than the connect but an 1.4 ounces heavier (which may be a good thing for longer runs). The heel drop in the Launch is 10MM. The Connect are 5-6MM and the Flows are 4MM.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ball of Fury

Akalei:  Ugh!!!  I literally feel your pain and I so hope your ITBS resolves quickly.

Roll:  I wish that bike suggestion would work...he even sees his 4 year-old sister on hers and just doesn't care.  He is perfectly happy on his scooter!  As far as the PF, I think they are definitely enough shoe for a marathon...they are very cushiony!  As long as you give yourself time to get used to the lower heel drop, I think they are fine.

Docket:  Feel better!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

RV: How many does this make for you?

This Chicago will be my 17th: 6 Chicago, 3 Lake Wobegon, 2 Philadelphia, 2 Fargo, 1 Berlin, 1 Albany, GA (Snickers), 1 Pensacola and 1 Shamrock.

Too bad that Berlin and Chicago conflict.  My kind of must-dos every year are Chicago, Lake Wobegon and the Shamrock (already registered for next year).

mdawg87

Roll:  Yeah, the effort from Chicago wasn't there last night.  Crawford was the only thing that kept them in the game.  He stood on his head making some of those saves...and got a few lucky bounces too.  Boston should've had 2-3 more goals.  I know of several people that've run marathons in Pure Flows.  Not sure if it matters, but they are all fast birds (sub 1:30 HMs and sub 3 FMs).

Docket:  Ugh...sounds like you and DH may have eaten something that wasn't quite fresh.  Feel better!

Akalei:  Oh dear...I hope you heal quickly.  The graston will definitely move the process along quicker.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

Cbus, DTF, with you on the journey for the next 18-weeks.  Let's go get that sub-4 in October!

Strider - agreed ! let's do this - Week 1 - here we go - I'm rooting for everyone here ! Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

DetroitTigerFan

Pfitz question:

This past week I had jury duty so I wound up moving runs -

Schedule was planned as: speed 8 / rest / 10 mi / rest / 5 recover / 13

I did: speed 8 / 5 recover / rest / rest / 10 mi / 14 mi

Now I am coming off two "hard days" so I moved my schedule from this: 10 mi / 4 mi recovery / 8 mi LT / rest / 14 / 4 to...

5 mi recovery / 10 mi / 4 mi recovery / 8 mile LT / rest / 14 mi

I figured moving the recovery around as well would put me n a better position than running too many back to backs.

Thoughts?

Sprinkles - I hear you on the schedule conflicts - I have a major one in like week 10 I need to ask about.  As for your schedule it definitely makes sense doing the recovery coming off of the hard run, so starting the week with 5 seems reasonable. As for the back part of the week, I would see how you feel but suggest  5 recovery / 10 Mile / rest / 8 mile LT / 4 recovery / 14 LR.  The only reason I suggest this is I think they want some tired legs by running the day before the LR (thus the 4 miles just before the LR)  This assumes you have the day off after the 14 miler I suppose. I hope this helps !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

DTF: Definitely a good plan- I'm going to see what i can get done at 5 am tomorrow just because its a crazy week at the office.  If I can belt out 10 by 7 am I'm good, if not, then 8...just get it done I guess, somehow. Worst case I end up running the recovery on Saturday before the long run Sunday (the way it is prescribed). I do have the day after the 14 miler off.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Ami: Yup, 12x400.  Though I did them as Quarters, because I didn't switch my Garmin to metric.  That cardio workout sounds tough.

Roll:  I think so.  Last couple of runs have been great.  I was scuffling through the weeks right after my race, but now this is week 4 post-race, so I should be fine.  I'm also acclimating to the heat and humidity.  Well, mostly.  There have been a handful of hungover runs close to noon these past few weekends that have been terrible, but those are my own damn fault.

mdawg: Nice intervals!

Docket:  Hope you feel better!  I've been thinking about SF, but the profile scares me a bit.

Sprinkles:  I don't think it is a Pfitz-specific question.  Separating the harder days is a good call in general so that you are sufficiently rested to do the quality work.

akalei:  Bummer about the ITB.  Hopefully it is a minor flareup.  But congrats on the 5K!!

Hi to everyone else!

Me:  12x400 this morning.  I think it went well, for my first ever try at real speedwork.  Out the door at 4:45am, but even still the weather was pretty miserable.  73 with 89% humidity.   Ran two miles as a warmup, then found a flat loop of the Mall to run around.  I hit all of the intervals reasonably tightly, only two were outside of the target pace band and then only by :01/mile: fastest was 1:39 and slowest 1:42. (6:35-6:50 pace)  I was a dripping mess by the time I finished because I don't think one drop of sweat evaporated.  1.3 cooldown run home.  Morning was 3.3 wu/cd @ 9:41; 6 intervals @ 8:08 average pace.

I ran with a friend at lunch today, too, which was a good shakeout.  3.6 easy @ 9:05

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Rusk Runner

Roll - I have run three marathons and every one of them was done in Pureflows. I wear a pair for every run long, short, in between.  They offer more than enough cushioning to take a marathon and more.

cmb - So does the sprint tri mean you are going to overcome the fear of the bike you had mentioned?  Have you already been cycling?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Did 8.5 in dead heat and humidity. Boy, was it tough. But it's done, and now I get a rest day tomorrow.

Roll, I think the simplest answer is that if you can do long miles in the shoes, then, yes, they are. If not, then, no they aren't. What I mean is that it's personal, and everyone will be different.

Sorry to hear about all the injuries out there. Akalei, definitely check into Graston. My chiro told me to not stop running through my treatment. So you may not have to miss any time.

And here, here to all who are starting fall marathon training this week, like Strider and Dtf (I forget who else).

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Me:  12x400 this morning.  I think it went well, for my first ever try at real speedwork.  Out the door at 4:45am, but even still the weather was pretty miserable.  73 with 89% humidity.   Ran two miles as a warmup, then found a flat loop of the Mall to run around.  I hit all of the intervals reasonably tightly, only two were outside of the target pace band and then only by :01/mile: fastest was 1:39 and slowest 1:42. (6:35-6:50 pace)  I was a dripping mess by the time I finished because I don't think one drop of sweat evaporated.  1.3 cooldown run home.  Morning was 3.3 wu/cd @ 9:41; 6 intervals @ 8:08 average pace.

Very nice. For some reason this workout scares me. I skipped it last time around with Hansons because my calf was acting up and for some reason I'm really dreading it. 12 intervals just seems like a lot.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Very nice. For some reason this workout scares me. I skipped it last time around with Hansons because my calf was acting up and for some reason I'm really dreading it. 12 intervals just seems like a lot.

Thanks!  I didn't think it was that difficult physically, because just about the time you're hurting, the interval is over.  It was tough mentally because there are so many of them (and with the recovery intervals, the workout takes a long time: I think I was out there for just under an hour, all told).  By the fourth or so I was having conversations with the beeping pace governor on my Garmin along the lines of "I hate you."

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Smashy!!!

Morning all!

SRD today, which is good, considering yesterday's run felt doubly hard, for some reason.

Sprink, I think your reschedule looks fine. The alternative is what--skipping a run? So, I think you do what you gotta do. Pfitz, I think, says something to that effect in his book. One of my tendencies, and I don't think it's a good thing, is I get to wedded to the plan as written. I think tailoring it to your needs is fine.

Flinders, great work out--and a double on top of that? You're a running machine.

Big Board, it's all updated!

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Good morning!  SRD for me.  Ready for pool time this weekend already and it's only Wednesday!  The week after vacation will do that to you.

Roll:  Good luck tonight.  I'll be watching!  Chicago needs this game or the series might be over.

onemile:  I did the 12x400 workout last week.  The shortness of the intervals lessens the suffering.  Like Flinder says, it does take a long time for a speed workout though.  Total of 8 miles including the minimum 1 mile w/u and c/d.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Thanks!  I didn't think it was that difficult physically, because just about the time you're hurting, the interval is over.  It was tough mentally because there are so many of them (and with the recovery intervals, the workout takes a long time: I think I was out there for just under an hour, all told).  By the fourth or so I was having conversations with the beeping pace governor on my Garmin along the lines of "I hate you."

Yeah, that 3wu+12(400@5kw400r)+3cd Hansons' workout kicks my butt too.  I'll get this one next Tuesday. The only one worse is when the recovery segments are only 200 meters long.