Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Smashy!!!

Mdawg, basically, it's how intensive MRT can be. At this point in my life, I don't think I can give this much of my time to running. To a lesser extent, I'm starting not to enjoy it as much. The primary reason for running is health, and, I might be completely wrong on this, but I think there might be more health benefits (with less time investment) in 5k type training than in MRT--but again, I might be wrong on that.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Cbus - I was wondering about your 5k questions considering your distaste for 5k running, but now I get it. I kind of feel like I am in the same boat. I wanted to run to get in shape and prove to myself that I could run a marathon at a decent pace. Now my running reason is mostly to achieve faster goal times. But, I think bago mentioned that you really have to enjoy running to continue after you hit your plateau and aren't continually establishing new PRs. I realize that I don't know if I really do with the time that marathon training takes. And, add in having worn out legs much of the time, where I don't instinctively say, "YES!" when my 3yo wants me to run around with him in the back yard, makes me think that maybe I should run less.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Rusk Runner

Cbus - You dont really need to think about it. MRT is beyond running in for health.  You could do the research and I would just about guaruntee that you will find that MRT is at the diminishing returns level for health.

Roll - Gianterd.com has schwinn fastback sport 2's on sale for 496 bucks.  Its a value IMO, with shimano sora drive, carbon fork, 19.8 lb total weight, and other extras.  Thats what I bought, but then again I wanted an entry level road bike.  I put another little bit of cash in clipless pedals and shoes.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

National Running Day (June 5) & National Doughnut Day (June 7) are both this week.

Coincidence?  Nope, that's everyday for us doughnuts!  Smile

Hope each of you is healthy on your feet and enjoying the passing miles!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

One more thing, for the iPhone/iPad users, there is an app called "Runner's Log" that does what the name says.  It's free today to June 5 and is useful for tracking miles (in particular on shoes).  Just FYI.

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Sprinkles: Nice race given the conditions.  Which MRT plan are you doing?  I jump back into MRT next week and am trying to follow a plan this time around, so I am curious what others will be using.

Cbus: If you don't have time for MRT, then you don't have time.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to focus on other running goals and the more important things like family.  But fair warning, 5Ks hurt.  A lot. Smile

Hi everyone else!

Me: 3.5 @ 9ish at lunch.  2000 yards in the pool after work (4x500yds; about 8:30 per set with 2 minutes rest between each set).

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

DetroitTigerFan

Cbus - i agree with you - there's nothing wrong with different running goals based on what life has for all of us. I'm somewhat in the same boat as I have other non-running goals I want to accomplish in life - this training takes up alot of time which forces competing priorities.  I've made a decision that this training cycle for my fall will be my last marathon, for a while. I need the time for other things. I may be looking at buying a new house next year, etc stuff like that.  Like i've said before -  I thought it was hard to train as a single guy, but it always amazes me for those training with families - you all get extra credit !  However, that being said, I would still encourage you to think about 10K's and HM's next year if time permits.  I think the time investment is much lower. . I'd really like to get some of my friends into running and that may mean participating with them and running really slow or even run/walking with them and totally ignoring time.  I'll cringe when i see my finish times next year, but I think the events may be really fun to do with others and that may be just as enjoyable as competing for a time goal,etc

Nick - agree with you on PR plateaus. I was saying something similar earlier - this year I keep looking back at my times from last year - trying to beat each workout from last year- and I have been performing somewhat better - but the constant lookback sucks some of the enjoyment out the training. I know at my mileage level, i'm not willing to invest 70mpw and if I do a re-hash of Pfitz 18/55 like last year, will I really do any better than my time last year? I know I have some carryover fitness from the winter and last year - i'm not sure if it will be enough to get to 4 but we'll see though Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for the tip!.

One more thing, for the iPhone/iPad users, there is an app called "Runner's Log" that does what the name says.  It's free today to June 5 and is useful for tracking miles (in particular on shoes).  Just FYI.

Mr. Rocket is now registered for his first half marathon.  Who is this person and what has he done with my husband?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

DTF, Thanks. I think I'll always run HMs, because I love the atmosphere. But I'm not sure I'll race as many. Maybe just once a year. I wish I had friends. I also wish I had friends who wanted to run because, like you, I'd love to run with them in their first race experiences. On a related note, I wouldn't mind pacing a 2:00 HM group.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

CBus - A year off from MRT can provide clarity and direction. x2 on focusing on other races. Either way, it would be nice to have you stick around and continue to post here.

dRocket - Mr Rocket has the run bug!

Ami - hip progress?

Strider - sounds like one heck of a coincidence

Indi - the bike is a little further down the road. We are getting our house ready to put on the market and all extra $ is going toward repairs and related cost. I had a friends for a while, earlier this year, and enjoyed it but life gets in the way of play sometimes.Cool

hopefully Onemile is safe in Uganda.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Some miles with hubby, some solo, and weights, planned for tonight.

onemile has been posting great pics from her trip, so I"m sure she and Robin (our friend) are having tons of fun.

Rollcast, hopefully.

CBus, I think it's a sound plan.  I hate short distances but it's good to get faster in them to get faster on the marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bagopux

National Running Day (June 5) & National Doughnut Day (June 7) are both this week.

Coincidence?  Nope, that's everyday for us doughnuts!  Smile

If a thousand things go wrong today, I will still think of this and laugh!  Thanks Strider.

9 easy for me today.  Trying to run all of my favorite routes at least once more before I move across town.  Different routes bring back different memories.  Kinda cool, and a little emotional too.

mdawg87

Good morning!  7 easy TM miles at the gym.  Strength training tonight.  Weather forecast for Saturday is looking better.  It's now saying humidity will be lower.  Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

cbus:  HMs are definitely easier regarding time investment.  Nothing wrong with not running marathons if it doesn't fit your life right now.  I do agree with Flinders though, 5Ks hurt!  I've only ever done one and didn't like it!

docket:  You finally reeled him in!  The running bug has officially bitten Mr. DR!

Strider:  It's definitely a good week for the donuts!  Thanks for the info!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- Nothing wrong with a break from the marathon - its a long distance and a lot of time investment, and you were sick for quite awhile, so it makes sense to take a step back for a bit.

Nick - I hear ya on needing to love running to continue after a plateau.  I feel like i'm close to one, if its temporary or not, and the urge to say screw it is pretty high right now.

Flinders - I am using Pfitz 18/55 - I think i need a greater training stimulus this time around.  Last time HH Int. 1 just didn't do it for me and I wound up disappointed (due to the heat), but still, time to step it up.

8 mi w/ 4 at Half MP: I'll put this in my log later.  My legs were tired today from Bikram yesterday and from running this weekend, but at least it was cool.  I ran straight into a headwind for most of this, so I had some difficulty maintaining a consistent pace.  First 4 miles were between 9:00-9:30 (as McMillan says), and the 15k to HMP miles were between 8:00-8:30, which is a bit slower than I'd like, but hopefully that will pick up as time goes on.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

Docket - agree with most, that congratulations are in order for converting your hubby.  Tell him I said "good on you"!  I am hoping to be running (jogging?) the local 5K on July 4 weekend with my wife.  I have conceded that I cannot race it this year due to injury so my sub 20 plans are out the window.  But, I would carry alot more joy to say I ran a 5K with my wife on my 2nd running anniversary.

mdawg - You and jedi are the treadmill masters.

I am feeling that I should be able to start running this weekend.  If all goes well with a slow 3 to 5 miles I will bike in between running days till I and add running days accordingly.  Sure would like to run a half on September 1st even if I cant race it.

By the way........I really enjoy cycling.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!