Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

onemile

cbus - nice LR. And congrats on week 1.  Only 17 more to go :P

Sprink - very nice MP miles - you're going for a 3:40, right?

mdawg - good luck at the doc

Ami - Hi! Glad your hip is still feeling okay. When I had ITBS the soreness while sitting took far longer to go away than the pain while running.

I ran 8 yesterday. 52 for the week. Hopefully will be a little higher this week.

akalei

Morning, all!  So, I made it down 3 flights of stairs in the parking garage with ZERO pain today--big improvement for me! I think I'm ready to try an easy run, but also thinking of waiting until tomorrow because (1) I go to PT tomorrow morning and can talk to him first (and Graston!), and (2) It's going to be hot as heck this afternoon and I don't want my first run back to be a miserable one.  So maybe just yoga tonight.  Never thought I'd be so happy to walk down stairs!  ITB people--when did you try and get back out?  When you had ZERO discomfort or just when it had mostly subsided?  I didn't do it the smart way when it was my left ITB, so I'm trying harder this time.

Ami: can't count how many times I've said "F U Tanya!" haha

Sprinkles: Nice MP miles on your half! I've been so jealous of your runs, particularly since I'm supposed to be doing the exact same runs as you!

As I type, I can only see onemile's most recent post, so I forget everything I wanted to say otherwise--hate when that happens.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

Nice to hear, akalei.

onemile, sounds like a great week.  Good luck with this one.

Which brings me to the fact that I only ran 7.50 last week.  My coach told me to take a cutback week but I might have overdone it, ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bagopux

ITB people--when did you try and get back out?  When you had ZERO discomfort or just when it had mostly subsided?

I waited until I had zero discomfort.  The pain, when it came on, was so sharp that I wanted to be as sure as I could going out for a run that I wouldn't get stuck somewhere suffering.  I think I might've taken anti-inflammatories prior to the first few runs back, and I definitely continued to ice heavily afterward.  Everything went OK when I started back up.  Best to ya.  Glad you enjoyed the stairs.  Its the little things, ain't it?

Smashy!!!

Akalei, I ran as much as my ITBS allowed. Taking time off was never helpful for me. The knee would feel great during the time off. And then as soon as I started running again, it would come right back. When I started Graston, the chiro told me NOT to take time off, since the goal is to run. He adjusted the Graston according to my situation. Good news is, once I started Graston treatment, after three sessions, I was able to increase my miles.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Onemile - Yes, around a 3:40.  I decided to be optimistic and assume I ran around a 3:45 at Cleveland. I think my paces are supporting 3:40 right now.   Nice mileage, btw, 50s seems so high!

Akalei - You'll get back on the horse! ITBS is awful and consumed most of my life in 2011- early 2012.  I was able to do some jogging and only took a week off, but that was because I went to graston incessantly until it went away.  Also, my mileage was so low back then (20 mpw was a big week) and I was SLOW, so it didn't make much of a difference what I did.  Once I started graston, ITBS went away after 3-4 treatments and never came back.  That was after months of useless PT though.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

cmb4314

Akalei - I'm in the same boat as you with the IT band - wanting to start up, but hesitant because I don't want to get into full blown ITBS like I've had in the past.  I've taken the last week off, and I feel good when I'm up moving around, but when I sit at my desk for too long, it's still a little sore.  I'm going to try running tonight and see how it goes - though, my "running" right now still involves walk breaks, so I'm less worried than if I were doing something more stressful.

Sprinkles - nice job on the half!  It's a good sign that running at that pace felt so easy, especially in the summertime.

Cbus - You can count on me to be slower than you Big grin  It's going to be a good long while before I'm back and ready to run a solid marathon.

Onemile - Nice mileage!  Seems like you're setting yourself up well for another speedy race.

Ami - glad the hip is feeling better!  Hope you're back to running soon, but sounds like you're doing a kick ass job with Insanity.

Mdawg - Hope all checks out well with the doc!

Indi - Holy crap, 47 miles?!  That's a pretty impressive ride.  Glad you're enjoying it so much.

Me - I have decided, at least for the next few weeks, to just kind of wing it on the triathlon training.  Ideally I'll swim twice a week, bike twice a week, and then run at least twice.  Swimming is proving to be the easy part thus far.  Cycling has been thwarted by thunderstorms, and running has been thwarted by my IT band.  Very excited to get out on my bike soon though - fixed my flat and adjusted some things so I should be good to go.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Docket_Rocket

cmb, glad to see you training and planning!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

cmb -  Thats 7 short of last weeks ride.  Yesterday I could have went for another 20 I was having so much fun.  I also am glad to see you training again.

Akalei - I just ran while getting treatment.  Thats probably not what you wanted to hear.  Of course, look at me now with a strained calf and a total of 10 running miles for June.

SASTON on the leg today.  They want me to take just a little bit more of a break before I start running again but cycling is still a go.  Weather permitting, I will tote the bike to the base tomorrow and get an hour of riding in before work.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

DetroitTigerFan

roll - good luck to Chicago ! i'm hoping for a fun game 7 actually but hope Chicago wins !

me - found a great way to lose 5 lbs !! run 8 miles at easy pace in 88 degrees. I'm sure it's all water weight and i'll be back up a few lbs tomorrow. Docket - do Miami runners have this phenomenon - do you like pound water after all workouts ? how many gatorades do you go through for each hot weather run? it seems like I go through 1 to 1.5 of the 32 oz gatorades for each really really warm run. I'm sure 88 feels cool to you though Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

akalei

Sounds like we're all over the place on this one... And I had no idea so many of us dealt with ITBS! I think I'm going to try to go out for a flat, easy 4-5 tomorrow morning before PT.

cmb: sounds like our experiences for the last week or so are pretty similar. Let me know how tonight went for you if you went out!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

cmb4314

Sounds like we're all over the place on this one... And I had no idea so many of us dealt with ITBS! I think I'm going to try to go out for a flat, easy 4-5 tomorrow morning before PT.

cmb: sounds like our experiences for the last week or so are pretty similar. Let me know how tonight went for you if you went out!

It was kind of iffy tonight.  Started out tight, then loosened up nicely, and by the end was getting pretty tight again.  Didn't make it quite as far as I had been running, but I made the executive decision to stop before the tightness became pain, foam rolled and stretched, and it seems to feel okay now.   So, it's definitely not quite better.   In my case, I'm hoping that since I'm only doing a couple of runs a week, if I don't push it too far it will heal up okay.

I am going to the PT soon for my final ankle visit/running analysis, and if it's still bugging me I think I'll ask what else they can do for me.  I don't know that she does Graston, but I've seen the tools in the office so I know at least one of the PTs there does it.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Docket_Rocket

My run was tough.  20sec per mile slower than yesterday.  Boy it was hot!

Hubby did his longest continuous run in Miami (he ran more in SF).  Nice pace for being close to

100F.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

roll - good luck to Chicago ! i'm hoping for a fun game 7 actually but hope Chicago wins !

That may put me in an early grave. CoolIt's been a stressful playoff season. Go hawks!!!!!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

mdawg87

That may put me in an early grave. CoolIt's been a stressful playoff season. Go hawks!!!!!

Watching It now!  Intense atmosphere with the 1-1 tie.  It's all on the line tonight!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)