Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Docket_Rocket

I do them during the last 2-3 miles of the workout.  Run 100m as fast as I can without losing form, then recover by running slow until the end of the quarter mile, rinse and repeat.

Hi, nachos.  Hope recovery is going well.  We've missed you!

I ended up doing 3, no strides.  Still not fully 100% from the illness.  Marathon training starts Monday (confirmed by the coach) so I'm going to take it easy this week and stop whenever it gets too hard.  My asthma is not very happy this week, so I'm giving her what she wants, rest.

Bago - re: drinking - I can't stand water sloshing in the stomach while running so i always sip....yet I lose weight too.  I tried using those Hammer Endurolyte pills in the high heat of summer and that seems to help retain water/prevent cramps. However, at the same time - I used those pills during the marathon in cold weather and still lost a lot of weight. I'm wondering if the pills are only useful in summer months ? (should I not even use them on race day?)  After running I balance the drinking with eating and eventually get full though to answer your question

Docket - how do you do strides? I think you told me last year.  I've tried youtube to see exactly how to do them. I was supposed to do 10 of them on my 8 miler yesterday and just simply forgot to do them - lol

roll - nice avatar. I'm glad the wings lost to the cup winner !

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Onemile- Curious to see how your 5k goes - I have no idea how mine would go on fresh legs at this point.

"Fresh legs?"  What dat?  Hanson makes you forget there is such a thing.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Probably an SRD or hubby run.  Based upon how I felt yesterday, my chest hates me and therefore I shall give it what it wants to do (nothing).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Nachos - I hope the PT helps.

Indi - Very nice on the biking miles. I admire people who can get into cross training when they are injured. I'm too stubborn.

Sprinkles - that looks like a great workout you did last night!  I'm curious as to what I can run in a 5k right now too so I guess we'll see. My PR from last fall is 22:46 (7:19 pace) but I think I've gotten a little faster.  Not sure how much though.

RVD - hehe yes I went for months with tired legs. It gets sorta old.  But then on race day I felt great.

Oh and I ran 13 last night.  Hoping to reach 60 this week.

mdawg87

Good morning!  SRD for me.  Hazy, hot, humid, and storms to come later here in Atlanta.  I'm bummed the hockey season is over.  I enjoy that sport about as much as college football.  Oh well, the Tour de France starts on Saturday so looking forward to that.  Wonder what the spin will be post Lance debacle??

5K related:  I'm not sure how much faster I can run a 5K vs. a 10K or HM.  I've never really trained for shorter distances so I don't think my pace would be that different.

onemile:  Nice mileage!

Sprinkles:  I'll be doing a similar run tomorrow morning.  7 with 5@GMP (8:30).

Nachos:  Nice to see you and I have missed your delicious avatar!  Hope the PT can work you back to running.

RVD/onemile:  I'm waiting for that tired leg feeling to hit me.  I'm guessing in about 3-4 weeks.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

bagopux

DTF - I've also used endurolyte to deal with stomach cramps in the summer.  I think they are basically extra electrolytes but without all the calories and liquid associated with a sports drink.  They really helped.  I don't use them in cold weather because I've never had electrolyte-related stomach issues in cold weather.

Nachos -- Glad to hear you are making progress and keeping at it.  I am very happy for you.

onemile

Oh I forgot to mention. I finally bought that Racing Weight book.  I've been using the DQS scoring chart the last week.  So we'll see. I think I like counting calories better because it makes me feel more in control but the concepts in this book make sense.  My only problem is the diet soda. I lasted about 3 days before I started drinking it again.

mdawg - thanks. enjoy the rest.

Nacho - good to hear from you

jedi - ????

MDawg - post season boredom sets in soon

DRocket - no bueno

RVD - I haven't started Hansons yet but I am on day 29 of the RW Challenge and my legs are feeling the effects.

Onemile - NICE! You're on fire.

DTF - I thought the Redwings were gonna spell disaster for us a couple of times.

Bago & DTF - look at Smart water. It water with nothing added except electrolytes. I use it for 95-100 degree runs and for recovery. No sugar, or anything else, added.

Sprinkles - nice run. is this the Whippets team?

Logged 7 progressive miles last night. Starting to actually enjoy some of my hot/humid runs. Weird.

QOTM : (question of the month - because its becoming that much of an issue). My running shirts seem to be holding residual stench. We wash them immediately after runs. I have even tried rinsing them in hot water before washing them as well as different wash cycles. As soon as the sweat begins on a run the shirt seems to be as funky as the end of a long run. Its like a scratch an sniff at this point. They smell great when I pull them out of the drawer and even during stretches or just walking around but as soon as perspiration is added, funk. I feel like I need to avoid the trails so I am not ambushed by feral hogs...not really but you get the point.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

QOTM : (question of the month - because its becoming that much of an issue). My running shirts seem to be holding residual stench. We wash them immediately after runs. I have even tried rinsing them in hot water before washing them as well as different wash cycles. As soon as the sweat begins on a run the shirt seems to be as funky as the end of a long run. Its like a scratch an sniff at this point. They smell great when I pull them out of the drawer and even during stretches or just walking around but as soon as perspiration is added, funk. I feel like I need to avoid the trails so I am not ambushed by feral hogs...not really but you get the point.

I don't have this problem and I wash all my running clothes in COLD water - usually the delicate cycle.  I hang dry all my running clothes (except socks).  I would avoid hot water or using the dryer.  I'm not sure if it depends on what brands/fabrics you use - I mostly stick to Nike and Lululemon.

They do make special detergents for this, such as Sport Wash or Penguin Wash but I've always used regular detergent without a problem.  At this point you might have to toss some stuff and start over (no hot water, no dryer).

akalei

Morning all! Was back at PT this morning but no Graston this time... I guess they only do it every other day at most.  However, I can get used to the leg and butt rub every day.  Makes me want to fake a back injury so I can get some work done there, too, but I won't risk the bad karma. Joking

Nachos: Hope your recovery is going well... sounds like you're making progress!

Sprinkles, onemile: If you do a 5K and do it hard, make sure you don't try and run the next day.  Big oops for Ashley.

+1 to endurolytes being pretty awesome.  I'm a very salty sweater, so they've saved me a couple times.

Any idea where I can find a good biking plan?  I feel like if I have a "plan" in front of me, I'm more likely to stick to it than to go out and say, "I'm going to ride X miles on my own."  Google hasn't produced much help yet!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Rusk Runner

Nachos - Good to hear frrom you again!  I too researched bikes, bought what I could afford, and found that I really, really enjoy cycling as well.

Onemile - Nice miles girl! I see a half ironman in my future and probably a full also.  I think cross training has led to me wanting to try something different so I will continue to cross train everyday. oh yeah, please stop drinking diet soda, its of the devil.  I am with you guys on the 5k.  I was going to go for 6:30 this July, and that has obviously been shot to hell.  I ran just under 7:00s for my 4 mile thanksgiving day race last year.  If I am running within the next couple of weeks I might try to run 6:30s this coming thanksgiving.

Roll - I am about the same as onemile with all athletic clothing.  Cold handwash cycle, sportswash detergent, hangdry.

mdawg - All the leaders of the tour have been dopers anyway, so the whole thing could be considered a debacle.  Much like baseball, Armstrong made the wrong decision, but it was the popular decision.

Akalei - Wish I could help but I am just trying to treat it like running.  Recovery after long, stacking some days, taking some off, etc.

I am experimenting with Honey Stinger Waffles for nutrition while cycling.  I know I can eat more solid food when cycling, and just let me say, them Honey Stinger Waffles are friggin delicious!  Hoping the weather holds out today.  If it can stay rainfree after I cook dinner tonight I would like to go out for about 30 to 35 miles tonight.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Onemile - I have that book too, but I take it with a grain of salt.  I'm pretty sure he says coffee is not a food group, but I beg to differ.  Also, when I quit diet coke, I gained weight because I replaced it with crap.  Artificial sweeteners have never given me a craving for anything though.

Mdawg- Enjoy the workout - I like the goal MP miles (most people seem to hate them).

Rollcast- Yes, my team is the Dashing Whippets.  THeir plan is for the NYC marathon, and I'm a month ahead of them on it at this point, so I'm doing Pfitz...sometimes workouts overlap.

Akalei - No idea about biking , but good luck

Me - water wasn't working this morning in the building, so I didn't run since there is noplace to shower near work.   I may do the 5 recovery miles tonight or move them to Friday - don't know yet, I'm tired and grumpy today.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Yo!

SRD for me today--yippee!!! I love my SRDs in the Hansons plan. We are in the middle of some crazy humidity, but we are getting storms too, so that helps a touch--at least it blocks out the sun.

Rvd, I had to chuckle at your "fresh legs" comment.

Onemile, you are a BEAST! And I also chuckled at your "it gets old" comment. Speaking of which: what did you think of the Hansons' two week sorta taper?

Roll, don't use heat--that'll bake the stench into the garment permanently. The problem is that with running clothes, the material is designed to resist absorbing water. They make that special detergent, but I've been told it doesn't really help. So what you gotta do is figure out how to kill the microbes in the garment, knowing that traditional water and soap will not be as effective. I usually spray my clothes with Lysol, which is supposed to kill bacteria. I've also tried washing the clothes with some bleach. Both have made the clothes wearable. I've heard of people freezing their clothes, again to kill the microbes, but I have not tried it. Good luck!

Stay thirsty my friends!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

onemile/sprinkles:  I quit the diet soda and have been off of it for 4 months.  I tried it as an experiment to see if the artificial sweetners affected my hunger just like sugar.  For me, it did.  I've not had any of the crazy cravings when I'm truly not hungry since cutting it out.  I should add though that I only drank 1-12 oz Diet Coke per day in the morning (my version of coffee) and maybe 1/2 of a CF Diet Coke in the evening.  So it wasn't much to lose and I don't really miss it, suprisingly.

roll:  +1 on cold water only.  I've not had a problem drying anything in the dryer though.  Both mine and DH's clothes are fine.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Hey mdawg87, I just registered for the Silver Comet Marathon on Saturday, Oct 26th.  Time for you to get in! (at least for the half if not the full).  There is a price increase after the end of this month.