Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Ball of Fury

Cbus:  Looks like they have you covered on the yoga.  Thanks for the avatar info....figured it out with your help!  ETA:  obviously that picture is too small for anyone to be able to see it...better pick a new one!  Mostly I just like it because I was on the podium.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Quote from Cbus//

Re: Pfitz, I realize that I'm in the minority, but when I look at his plans, I just don't get the logic. Sprinkles, when you say it has too much variety, that is what I mean by "purposeless." The first Mesocycle is Endurance, and it has 3 LT runs, and the second Mesocycle is LT, and it ALSO has 3 LT runs. Then what makes it an LT focused Mesocycle? Then he has you do MP runs 2X in MC1, and 1X in MC2--why? Especially since he doesn't think you get any physiological benefits from running at GMP. Is it to memorize your GMP? Then will 3 MP runs cut it? And then in WK7 he has you do this insane 7 mile tempo run (11 total) on top of 55 mpw--wow. If you surive that week without injury, you might be on the verge of overtrained, and go into your last MC not just with dead legs but legs that are beyond repair.//unquote

The thing I do not get with Pfitz's plan 18/55 is that in MC3, there are no more LT runs, which are essential so we can run fast for long periods, and VO2 max every week, despite the fact that he says that VO2 max is not really that important for a marathon.

Also, if you read his previous book, :"....for serious runners", you do not have the V02 workouts in the MC3 stage, but LT workouts - which seems more logical

Despite that, I think I will use Pfitz 18/55 but reduce distance and intensity if I find it is getting excessive for me, and also alternate between LT and VO2 in MC3

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Smashy!!!

TFS, I totally agree with you on the VO2 Max in Pfitz. Just another reason I feel his plans lack purpose. In the Hansons plan (that's another shot, folks!), it's just the opposite: the speed workouts (which are slower than Pfitz's VO2 max workouts) are at the beginning. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

TFS, I totally agree with you on the VO2 Max in Pfitz. Just another reason I feel his plans lack purpose. In the Hansons plan (that's another shot, folks!), it's just the opposite: the speed workouts (which are slower than Pfitz's VO2 max workouts) are at the beginning. 

I agree that Pfitz' positioning of the 600m and other intervals at the end left me puzzled.  Especially since I don't think such short intervals are necessary for a good and fast marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei- Work blocking things stinks!  A donut meetup in Corning would be great.  I know at least one restaurant to avoid the night before that race and also, where to stay (The Ramada in Corning itself).  I stayed in the hood last time, and no offense to the hood but I would not have wanted to blacklight my hotel room.  Definitely excited to test myself in the full in 2013.

Mdawg: thanks.  I felt good the whole race.  There are some from Hartford where I definitely look like I'm dying.  I did not order the proof for that one. 

Banshee: interesting job.  I spent a year on an insurance trial about piping in a chemical plant - so I know quite a lot about piping.  I had a full-sized pipe model made out of a foam roller stuck in my office for over a year.

Dreamn: sounds like our paces/predictions are similar.  I should be around a 3:49 marathon, not 3:56.  I'm hoping a few more MP runs will get me there.  I plan on training just a wee bit faster with the exception of recovery runs.  I'd like to keep nearly all but recover runs sub-10:00 if I can. Higdon Intermediate 2 is what I'll be doing with a friend- I think the MP runs will make a difference.  Plus, MP isn't that hard for me to sustain...10k on the other hand...ohgod.

Me: 4 easy TM miles after work today- 20mph winds in downtown manhattan...my poor dog could barely stand up to pee!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

I miss a day and I'm four or five pages behind.  Apologies in advance if I miss anything.

I don't have much to add on the training plan discussion, seeing as I've only loosely followed HH Int 2 twice.  My view off the Higdon plans are that they are designed to get you to the start line healthy.  The weekend loading is designed specifically for two things:  to teach you to run on tired legs, and to prevent more novice runners from running their LRs too fast.

I might try the yoga; I sit at a desk all day (and, Sprinkles, I pace around my office, too).  Indiana, you asked:  I'm a lawyer, like a good many of us here.

Sprinkles: Nice pics.  I still don't think I've gotten a race pic that wouldn't frighten children.

MA:  Hi!  Glad things are going well.  Stick around!  You don't have to be running or actually training for anything to chatter with us!

Simon, cmb (and other new people):  Hi!

Bel:  If you can drive to a park or somewhere closer by that has trails or sidewalks, I'd do that if it is available.

This is a bit of a drive by; sorry about that.  This week has been busy.

I did 3.5 @ 8:55 or so yesterday, and 3.8 @ 8:33 today.  I tried to slow down, but that didn't work.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Ran 6 miles in warm rain yesterday, intervals at just below freezing tonight.

6x400M average 1:40 with 1:20 rest. Pathetic!

Don't ask why I did intervals, there was no reason,  I am on the "run what you feel like plan."

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

akalei

Sprinkles: Good to know on the Ramada.  I looked at the Radisson because it was maybe a block from the finish line/bus pickup.  I'll check out the Ramada this week!  Also, since I'm at home, finally got to see the pictures from Philly--you do look incredibly happy for mile 25! Great pics!

Up late working on the post-clerkship job search.  Calling all the lawyer donuts--Akalei needs to find a new job come August Smile Yuck.  I need to get to bed--pup and I are hoping for 5 in the morning.

Cbus: glad to help.  If you were closer, I'd tell you to join me for yoga.  My teacher is awesome.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Rusk Runner

Cbus - Glad to hear the ITBS is getting healed up.  I still think it is to early to make a call on a fall marathon.  Get your base built up and see where you are at come spring time.  Monumental will have room till close to race day.

Nachos - Is it still the same leg that you said is weaker than the other?  What do you think causes you more problems, speed or distance?

Docket - Shout out to you, just cuz.

9 miles last night @ 9:36 pace.  34 deg and dark the entire run.  Debating adding a 6th day of running in this week.  Will have to evaluate that during the family outing this weekend.

You guys had me reading Pfitz again and referencing Noakes instead of reading Tom Clancy's new one. LOL.  I will be the minority here and say that I have no problem at all with either Pfitz's 18/55 plan or Hansons advanced plan.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  My 5 went great so I'll try 6 tonight.

Working from home and it's getting late to turn on the computer (it takes forever to log me in).  So, BBL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei- I was so wrong, it IS the Radisson.  I have no idea why I thought it was the Ramada.  Do not stay at the Days Inn by the start - it was super sketchy. Whichever one the official hotel for the race is, is the one you want to be at, and it is the Radisson Smile

Flinders-  Sometimes bad race pictures are the most exciting ones.  There is one from the Hartford marathon of me wiping my nose post-snot rocket.  So attractive.  I should find the one where I look like I'm dying after a 10k too.  I'm about to go walk around my floor out of boredom.  I can't look at these interrogatories any longer. 

Docket- Oh to work from home would be so amazing today.  Its 30 degrees and windy.

No running for me tonight- its a spin class day.  Not sore anymore though- there's a plus.  I'm debating whether to get a second pair of pureflows on sale while they are available on the great almighty Runningwarehouse before the Pureflow2 comes out.  the new ones are pink...and I'm not a big fan of neon pink shoes.  I prefer blue or purple myself.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - I just bought a new pair of flows for $56 since the 3 pairs I bought at that price are all about gone.  I am actually looking forward to the Pureflow 2s and I thought I might go try a pair this month.  I think you would look great in pink shoes.  I bought my wife a pair.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Morning all!  7 TM miles for me this morning at the gym.  1 w/u and c/d with the other 5 at GMP.  GMP is at a 3:55 finishing time right now.  We'll see if that gets faster as training progresses.  Send Donut wishes for DH this weekend.  He's doing a 24 hour trail race/run on Saturday in Spartanburg, SC.  His goal is 50 miles.  I think he'll get it if he sticks to the race plan he drew up.

Sprinkles/Akalei:  I'm an financial controller (aka bean counter).  My profession is about as equally liked as yours.  I "heart" my company's legal staff...they are tough cookies!

Pink shoe related:  I have the new Saucony Guide 6s in bright pink with lime green accents.  I love them and they are all the reflective gear I need!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

bagopux

All,  I need a little help deciding:  I'm down to picking between Hanson and Run Faster to use for the spring half marathons.  Run Faster is intriguing because I'm not looking for something so rigid right now.  Want to keep it flexible.  Also, Run Faster seems more exploratory.  Seems like it gives you more opportunity to learn about yourself. However, I am also looking forward to MRT over the summer.  I'd like to try out Hanson for the Half to see if I'd want to do it for the full.  I think I need more structure for a full.  I like the theory behind Hanson (juxtaposed with Pfitz, as several have mentioned), but I'm not sure I can do 5-6 days per week, which is more critical for Hanson than for Pfitz.  (And, the local bookstore has the Hanson book but I would have to wait an interminable 5 days to get Run Faster on-line!)

I'm concerned, though, that if I do Hanson for the Halfs and then for the Fulls next fall I'll get seriously burnt out on it by mid-summer.  I'm also a little concerned that Run Faster has too little structure.  Does it give you a good starting point from which to launch your adaptive training?

All thoughts appreciated.  Thoughts that contain dry humor more highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Docket_Rocket

I don't know anything about Run Faster, but if you're planning on using Hanson for the full, I would try their HM schedule to se ewhether you would like their philosophy.

Damaris

Fundraising Page