Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Ball of Fury

Akalei: I will admit I have started carrying TP in my Camelbak for most runs....just in case!   How terrible is that?

Bago:  Thank you for the gi input...I am still experimenting and it helps to know what issues others have had.

Nick:  GL with the start of your Hanson plan!

Cbus:  Thanks!  Do your wife have gi issues all the time or just related to running?  I think where I am having trouble figuring out what to do is that I have problems at least twice a week and it doesn't seem to be related at all to food, drink, gels, type of run!  Some days, I have trouble on morning runs where I am running on an empty stomach and just water.  Some days, I have trouble on long runs where I have eaten oatmeal and used a couple Honey Stinger gels (they seem to be what works best for me).  I have zero gi issues unrelated to running so I am not sure if I just need to completely change my diet or what (cut out wheat or gluten or go paleo or what!)

Sprinkles:  Thanks!  Glad you got your Flows cheaper at least.  I have never had an item from there excluded from my 15% off code but it could just be that I have been lucky.

Josh:  Good luck with your first day back after LV.

Bel:  Thanks!  So did you just cut wheat completely out of your diet for a while?  Where  you having issues in everyday life or just with running?  Thanks for the info on Kinvara....I guess if they have a narrow toe box, though, they are probably out for me.  I was getting pinky toes blisters on the outside of my feet when I ran in Ravenna's and they aren't all that narrow.  I have been told I pronate slightly, but I am a forefoot striker and I would like to transition to at least a neutral shoe is not one of the "semi-minimalist" shoes like the Pure Flow or Kinvara.  I am going to one of my LRS this weekend and I think I will have them reassess my gait because I haven't been assessed in over a year.  I seem to be having lots of shoe problems so am hoping to clear those up.

Damaris:  Glad you got in six easy miles.

I did 4.5 this morning on legs that felt like lead, so had no trouble slowing down.  Average was right around 10/mile.  We have a 5-mile trail race tomorrow so am looking forward to that.  I need to add another 5ish miles somehow so will hopefully get in a couple warm-up and then a couple cool-down miles.  Have a great day Donuts and again, thanks for all the suggestions re:  gi issues!  It is becoming a very frustrating problem.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

sramaley

Simon - For lifting, I do full range of motion for all lifts (unless I have an injury) and basis for my lifting is the time under tension principle. Meaning, more reps with less weight and less rest between sets.  For squats, I go to parrallel. If you start light and have no preexisting knee conditions, then they should be ok for you as long as you use proper form. Range of motion depends on your flexibility and hip tightness. The key is to build all the support and stabilizing muscles up as well to protect the knee - hence starting very light and working up. Or starting with low weight and gradually increasing your range of motion over time. This also requires more exercises than just squats. i.e leg extensions. Heavier weights and lower reps do put stress though and need to use wraps to protect them and give support. But my days of doing workouts with 400 plus pounds are long gone.

Ami- for DW, she finally starting doing strength training routinely and picked back up with spin to supplement running.

Planning spin at lunch. May run tomorrow, but I have a yard of leaves that I have been putting off...

mdawg87

AmiK:  I feel for you.  GI issues only seem to affect me in the warmer weather...which we have plenty of down south.  I haven't been able to pinpoint what that's attributed to yet.  This summer was the first time I remember having them more than a couple of times.  My solution was to pre-plan...i.e., pick routes with restrooms, TP in the hydration belt, etc.  Once I did those things, I didn't worry about it anymore and just stopped if I needed to.  I wouldn't take Immodium every time either.  Maybe carry it with you like Sra suggests.

cbus:  I'd really like to try bikram (hot) yoga, but haven't found a studio offering it that's within a decent drive.

Upper body weights and 4 easy TM miles for me this morning at the gym.  May do some Xmas baking this weekend so I can fill co-worker requests that are piling up!  I only bake this time of year as we're a non dessert/sugar household for the most part.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

bagopux

Akalei: I will admit I have started carrying TP in my Camelbak for most runs....just in case!   How terrible is that?

Its better than having to use leaves.  Yeah, been there.  TMI?

mdawg, if your issues are only in summer, it could be dehydration/electrolyte imbalance.  Try electrolyte capsules.  Worked for me.

akalei

Mornin', donuts! 

Ami and Bago: HA! We've all been there! Leaves are easier to deal with in the summer than in the fall (dry and dead), no?  Joking

(Just realized while I was making the face that the "joker" emoticon is incredibly creepy.  Just sayin'.)

Where are you guys getting this runningwarehouse code?!  I need to order compression socks for my momma for Christmas--I get their emails but I don't have that!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Dreamn

Is this the Hanson half marathon plan that you guys are referencing? http://www.hansons-running.com/training-plans/half-marathon-training-plan/ .  Seems a little low in miles, but I guess the quality makes up for it?

I'm going to try to run 5 easy mid-day today.

Trail Monster

Morning all! I'm running behind so no personals at the moment! Have to get tempo fast tempo before work. Looking at 30-ish minutes at the faster end of tempo pace so probably 4 miles plus warm up and cool down? Not sure how well it will go after yesterday's squats. 

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Ball of Fury

Mornin', donuts! 

Ami and Bago: HA! We've all been there! Leaves are easier to deal with in the summer than in the fall (dry and dead), no?  Joking

(Just realized while I was making the face that the "joker" emoticon is incredibly creepy.  Just sayin'.)

Where are you guys getting this runningwarehouse code?!  I need to order compression socks for my momma for Christmas--I get their emails but I don't have that!

I will PM one to you!  And yes, the leaves are very dry this time of year!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

When I bought the Pfitz book "Advanced Marathoning" I must have thought the plans were advanced. (I have delusions of mediocrity- not of being an advanced runner.)

I do not think the book is aimed at people like me (us?) who aspire to run a 4 hour marathon.

There are several indications of this through the book:

1) Reference to a typical 140lb male- I am not that typical.

2) On vo2max- "For example, if you are running 1,000M repeats in 3:20"- well, you try it!

3) Page 9- "If Stacey and Christine are racing at 5:55 per mile".....in a marathon?

So my conclusion is some of these programs are pretty tough because the book is intended primarily for much better runners than me.

I can't comment on Hansons or Higden as I have not tried them.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Trail Monster

I agree about Pfitz Simon! My 5k pace is just under 8 minute miles! Heck, most of the pace charts in Pfitz don't even go that high!

managed 7 miles at 9:05 avg pace. That was 2 mile warm up, 3 x 10 minutes at 5k pace (the rest periods were long enough for me to run up and check on the baby then wipe my face with a cool cloth. LOL), and cool down to even 7. Now shower and off to work. Have a great day Donuts!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

One time on a snowmobiling trip I had to use snow... 

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Rusk Runner

Morning All!

12 miles @ 9:36 avg pace, HR about 72% MHRR.  Raining and 49 deg the entire way.  Hoping to get in 5 recovery miles both Sat and Sun, but will have to see how it goes.

On the GI business, I usually try to have a cup of coffee or two and be rid of the issues before a long run.  This is habit before any and all races.

All of the training plans are challenging in thier own way.  Its the challenge, I think, that most of us seek.  The training ultimately is more difficult than the race itself.  When I ran marathon #2 I was able to tell myself after mile 22 that I had felt worse in training.  At that point I knew I was going to beat my goal and I knew I was going to push it all the way to the finish.  I think the training should sometimes keep us on the edge.  Push but dont overdo it.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all, 

Got in 4 easy today, around 9:52ish. Ran in the rain, and came home soaked. Fun! Did the yoga hip sequence last night, and DANG, I am not flexible. Either that or the human body is not designed to bend in those ways. Think old school Star Wars action figure versus Stretch Armstrong (was Stretch on EPO like his cousin?). I was doing a pigeon pose, and my butt couldn't even touch the floor--I looked real classy. 

You guys are all cracking me up with the emergency potty strategies! But Nick, you are the big winner today! 

Ami, DW's GI problems are ongoing. She runs a tiny bit, but the GI problems have nothing to do with them. I would highly recommend consulting a doctor. From what I understand, GI is caused by a bacteria. And so it can be treated with an antibiotic. Unfortunately for DW, she is allergic to most antibiotics, so she couldn't finish the course. But running on an empty stomach makes sense too because you've got nothing in your stomach to mitigate all those stomach acids. Basically, DW tries to manage the acid levels of in GI tract, whether by eating something "basic" like rice or bread, or staying away from things like pasta sauce (or eating something before she eats pasta sauce). 

Simon, good catch on the Advanced Marathoning. However, Pfitz says in the beginning that the book is aimed at anyone who is striving to do more than just finish the marathon. So, I took his examples as stuff that he is used to, and not an indication of who he thinks can use his plans.

But still, I would like more explanation on why he chooses the workouts he does and prescribes them when he does. 

Dreamn, the Half plan can be a little low. But there are a few things to keep in mind. All Speed, Strength, and Tempo workouts assume a 1-2 mile warm up and cool down. When you add in the rest between intervals, most of those workouts end up around the 8 mile mark. The beginning part of the plan is "base building," and they say in the book you can just continue doing what you normally do. What's in the plan is for someone who wants some direction. And in the book, they say you can easily add miles if you want by adding more warm up and cool down or running on the off day or increasing one of the easy runs. They don't suggest fiddling with the LR. 

Nick, that's one of the things I like about their plans. You can easily go from one to the next. You can start off on Advanced, and if it's too much, you can go to the Beginners, etc. Because they are all basically the same plan with varying levels of mileage. If you want to keep your options open for a marathon, then your plan makes sense. 

Josh, if I do a fall marathon, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do the Beginners plan. I might, however, add the Speed days where they are missing in the Beginners plan. 

Akalei, Clown

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Oh yeah, the RW discount code I know is FB15D. But it only works on liquidation stuff--an additional 15%. (Not to be confused with sale stuff.)

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Interesting discussion about Pfitz.  I like Pfitz but I agree on the points that have been raised here.

I love that his website allows us to include something about ourselves in our screen profile.  Reading yours is fun.  Like the Ball of Fury AmiK. Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page