Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 8 easy @ 9:50 pace. 

Nick, what's your goal pace for the spring race? 

Ami, the Riders are a good shoe. I hope it's the Rider 16. If its the 15, then hope they gave you a discount. I wonder if he was pushing the Rider because he didn't have the Precision in your size or the Elixir. In anycease, I'm glad you found a shoe you like. 

Roll, hope the toe is feeling better. LOL at the donut holes comment. 

Great running everyone! 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

That is a picture.  I'm very pasty white and totally rectangular.  I used to be a square, but I'm feeling better now.  Smile

Angry

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

12 mile MLR this morning.  And it's my birthday Cool 

Traveling for work and in MN. They got 16 inches of snow sunday and saw a person running in it. She was doing the high knee action to get through it...reminded me of running through the tires back in middle school. Crazy up here. They were outside playing paddle ball near our hotel in 10 degree weather...

Welcome to my world Big grin  I have not been running through it, though.  I'm not up for the high knees, nor am I up for running on the packed ice that is everywhere that they "plowed".  Well, at least not in the dark.  I had to push off my Sunday LR to Monday because I didn't want to leave the house on Sunday.

Thusly, I have done 36 miles on a treadmill in the last 36 hours (18, 6 recovery, 12).  I never want to see one again. (On an off note: Dear legs - thank you for not dying, even though you didn't get the rest day you were supposed to get after that LR.  You can have 2.5 days of rest now.  I love you lots).

Re: pronation - I believe that it can change to a certain extent, as you strengthen muscles in the area and have better support for the tissues involved.  I ran my first HM in Brooks Ariel, which are big ol' motion control shoes.  I eventually adjusted to the point where I could wear Adrenalines.  I've since gotten to the point where I can wear things that are more "moderate" support shoes.  Adrenalines are still my favorites - they keep me happy and uninjured and I get 500 miles or more to a pair.  

There is often a component, though, that just can't change.  For instance, I am knock kneed, so when I run my feet turn out pretty severely (My husband left the house for a run 20 minutes after me the other day, and decided to see if he could follow me by following my footprints in the snow.  He could pick mine out from other runners', because everyone else's footprints were straight, and mine were crooked Roll eyes).  I'm also flat footed.  Both of these are pretty big contributors to pronation, so it is likely that my biomechanics will cause me to overpronate, no matter how strong I get.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Ball of Fury

Hey all,

Got in 8 easy @ 9:50 pace. 

Nick, what's your goal pace for the spring race? 

Ami, the Riders are a good shoe. I hope it's the Rider 16. If its the 15, then hope they gave you a discount. I wonder if he was pushing the Rider because he didn't have the Precision in your size or the Elixir. In anycease, I'm glad you found a shoe you like. 

Roll, hope the toe is feeling better. LOL at the donut holes comment. 

Great running everyone! 

They are 16s.  I flat out asked him if he thought the Rider was a better shoe than the Precision and he said yes?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Trail Monster

I'll be back to give shout outs after I eat and pick up the baby. My mother in law watched her so I could do my run. Got 12.12 k for 12-12. I'm on track for my highest mileage month ever so far! Hope I can keep it up!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Happy b-day cmb!

Cbus, my goal for the half marathon would be 1:40 (7:38 pace) if it was flat. Since it is not flat I am not sure if I should target a slower pace and by how much. (reading through the reviews of the course I saw people say "REALLY hilly" to "some rolling hills", and pretty much responses matched up to what you would expect them to be based on what state they were from)

Also, regarding the intervals, it seemed to me that the 400m in between each interval was too long, and so I went back and read the Speed section in the book. It says the same thing that the Pfitz book said, that the time between intervals should be 50%-100% of the time it takes for an interval. So, of course a 400m rest period between 400m intervals would be much longer than that. I am just assuming that they set it up that way for the first one just to get used to intervals? The book does say that it is acceptable to reduce the rest time, so I assume then it would be ok to reduce the distance between next week's 600m intervals to whatever distance equates to 75% of time for the interval? In addition, the book says (also as I have read other places) that intervals should be above 2:00 in duration to maximize benefits. So, then if your 5k speed is anything below 8:00/mile pace, then the plan prescribes you to run 400m intervals that will be below the 2:00 minute 'max benefit' threshold. Again this is only the first interval session and all others would be above 2:00, so I am not too worried about it, but it would have been nice if the book explained the reasoning for the shorter intervals in the first week.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Smashy!!!

Ami, I run a lot in both the Rider and the Precision. It's hard for me to say that one is better than the other in absolute terms. It depends on what you prefer. The Precision is a lot more flexible from toe to heel and is a lot less stable laterally. That is why I suggested them to you, since they'd be closer to the Flows, which you are trying to transition. The Rider is more traditional, and therefore is taking you away from the feel of the Flow. The Rider is a lot stiffer and firmer than the Precision, which is exactly why I love them. Together, they are a dynamic duo.

Nick, I would have to go back over the Speed section. But the 400m rest is as important to interval workouts as the intervals themselves. The closer your intervals get the less time your body has to recover. With less recovery time, the more stress to your systems, and you start to lose the benefits of the workout.

Docket_Rocket

I wouldn't buy new Precisions, since the rumors are they are being discontinued.

I love the WR 16s, FYI.

cmb, happy birthday!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Cmb – Happy Birthday!  Never let it be said that you arent one tough runner.  I would run naked in the snow eating ice cream before I attempted 18 miles on the mill. 

Amik -  Where are you located?  You had mentioned the Monumental Marathon, and your temps are relatively close to what I deal with.

Sra – I have been eyeballing the program for a 50 miler given in the book “Relentless Forward Progress”.

Looking to do 4 unscheduled recovery miles tonight.  Its up for a 3:00AM, 10 mile run tomorrow.  Ahhh, I like the nightlife, I like to boogie, on the dark and lonely streeeeeets, yeah.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

CMB, I totally missed that it's your birthday! Happy birthday!

Docket, it's not a rumor. The Precision WILL BE discontinued after the 13, and replaced with the Wave Sayonara. But why would that prevent you from buying the Precision? I think it's a good shoe, and it doesn't become any less a good shoe just because it's being discontinued. In fact, I will probably pick up another pair when my current pair dies. Hopefully its being discontinued will lead to good deals.

Canuck

Morning all.  The weather conspired against me last night, so I didn't get a run in.  It was windy, pouring rain and 34 when I got home from work, that's just too shitty even for someone who is used to running in rain in the winter.  Today is much nicer, clear and calm, so I'm planning on a 12 mile MLR tonight since it is 12-12-12. 

Happy Birthday cmb!

Oh, and as administrator of the group, I can see a list of group members.  There are a lot of people on that list who've never posted, so I say, come on out lurkers and introduce yourselves!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Ball of Fury

Cbus and Damaris:  Thanks for the Mizuno info...I asked the LRSG the difference and he just said the Riders are better...lol!  I do like them so far so hopefully that will continue.  

Jag:  I live in Northern Kentucky just outside Cincy.  We moved here from Indy a few years ago for grad school but we spend a lot of time in Indy because my mom still lives there and she is our primary babysitter for races and such.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Cbus and Damaris:  Thanks for the Mizuno info...I asked the LRSG the difference and he just said the Riders are better...lol!  I do like them so far so hopefully that will continue.  

Jag:  I live in Northern Kentucky just outside Cincy.  We moved here from Indy a few years ago for grad school but we spend a lot of time in Indy because my mom still lives there and she is our primary babysitter for races and such.

Ami,

Have you consider running the Flying Pig in Cincy? I thought about doing the half this year, but it was too pricey (not only entry fee but the hotels).

Dreamn

Happy birthday, CMB!  And I can't believe you've done 18 miles on the treadmill.  How did you not die of boredom?!

Smashy!!!

Happy birthday, CMB!  And I can't believe you've done 18 miles on the treadmill.  How did you not die of boredom?!

I think the only answer could be that she did die, but somehow came back to life.