Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

bagopux

Happy Monday.

Sat - 13 miles with fast finish on hills

Sun - 10k on the track (steady low HR)

32 miles last week total.

Today - personal training

Thanks, indi, for making me feel welcome and remind me of the December thread.  Smile

Great racing and training, everyone!

sra, sorry to hear it wasn't quite what you were hoping but still a great effort!

Josh, sounds like tough conditions.  Congrats nonetheless, marathoner!  I will read your RR shortly.

Flinders, a sub 140!  Congrats, that's awesome.

Bel, nice ag award and 10k time.

Lc, awesome job on the 4:11, and a great PR.

I hope I didn't forget anyone.  I wonder how D made out.

I put off my long run yesterday and just did 5 on the tm so I could still have 27 for the week. The weather was just yucky and I'm not wanting to get out when it's -10C.  I am hoping to get out this afternoon when it will be 0C to do 12 or so.  Happy running, everybody!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Flinders- I have my eyes on a small HM in the 13.1 series here in Queens in March.  It's a boring course (2 loops) and has a lot of turns, but I ran it last year and its pretty much flat except for one bridge.  I could likely set a solid PR there...but, allergy season could kill me, so we'll see how its going.  

AmiK- nice long run! I still haven't done 20 in training. My toe is still healing from the Philly damage...good luck with healing the blister.  I had a doctor pop mine.

NC_RB- I tell myself the cold will help with lung capacity.  My husband said it did when he ran winter track.  

OneMile/Indiana- Sounds like I'll  be joining you in Pfitzland comes January- I'm about a month behind you - starting January 10, 2013. Hope to hear good reports. Last thing I need is my legs falling off or something Smile

I am so lazy.  I ran 4 miles yesterday -felt great.  That's really all I did all weekend besides work and eat chocolate.  Apparently I eat like a teenage boy despite the fact that my training has been well, nonexistent.  This week I'm back in the saddle. 6 planned for tomorrow morning before work.  Hopefully spin or Bikram in the evening (I have a groupon).

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

Morning guys.

Bagopux - nice job on the 32 last week - 13 with hills and fast finish sounds like a pretty good workout!

paula - 5 on the treadmill is tougher than a long run for me!

Sprinkles - I'm actually planning to use Hansons, not Pfitz but will be starting my schedule soon!  I considered Pfitz 18/70 but decided to give Hansons a try instead.

61 miles for me last week and now I'm taking a needed rest day!

sramaley

Morning. Thanks for the responses. Just a wierd race (Heart rate jumped into the 160s in the first couple of miles - normally in the low 150s and legs felt tired at mile 15 - normally hits at mile 22ish). Once I let the 4:00 pace group go and hit the porta potty at mile 18, just went into damage control mode with the nauseau messing my stomach up. Ran till I felt like I was going to hurl and then walked alittle. Once that calmed down, I started running again. Just repeated this cycle till the finish. Stopped and helped a couple of people in the last 6 miles with calf spasms/cramps. Felt bad for them. Lots of carnage out there in the last 6 miles.

Wasn't to sore yesterday and did a spin class yesterday morning with DW. Felt good.

Nice PR LC. You will crush that 50K at your rate.

Tough race Josh. Congrats on finishing.

Welcome to the newbies.

Have a great day donuts. Need to catch up on the thread info later today. Also - I will update the tables this week. Thanks for posting the info for me to put on the table.

Congrats Josh on your first FM. Sra sorry to hear the frustration. Congrats to all that finished 26 miles 385 yards this past weekend.

Turf toe may be actually broken so i decided to try and cycle for 25 miles (instead of running) to help with recovery. Sounded good on paper. At mile ten, the bike and I crashed. THe bike is fine functionally. I have road hickies in all the typical spots and a very soar shoulder.

This week i am gonna hit the road running again. If this week doesnt feel better on the foot I may consider defering my Houston Marathon until next year.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

close one Dogs. 

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

akalei

Morning, donuts!

Feeling pretty blah today--I was going to do 12 yesterday, woke up feeling like crap after indulging in some too-delicious beer with the family to celebrate brother-in-law's return from China.  Oops. 

Anyway, Wineglass registration opened this weekend.  If I'm going to do that in the fall, I want to sign up before the price increases.  But I really loved Steamtown and I think I could nail my BQ there.  Anyone have a suggestion for Wineglass vs. Steamtown?

Hoping to do 6 this afternoon.  It's going to be pushing 60 outside today, which is insane for PA in the beginning of December.  Just insane.

Congrats on finishing your first marathon, Josh! And congrats to everyone else who raced this weekend.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Canuck

Morning all.  Congrats again Josh for finishing in tough conditions, and Sra with nausea.

LC - congratulations on the PR!

amiK - nice job on the 20 miler. 

bagopux - enjoy the personal training.  I've been doing it since May (although taking a break right now and working out on my own to save money). I am so much stronger than I was 6 months ago.

With 9 last night, got in 30 for the week on 4 runs.  Also biked about 39 miles as well.  Planning to up the miles a fair bit this week.  My team is in the finals of the 2012 in 2012 game (from the Beginners Forum), so I need all the miles I can safely run this week. 

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

White Lightning

Wow, I’m way behind on the thread. 

Flinders – Wow, great half

Bel – Nice job on the 10k+ race

Sra – Sorry about your race.  Still a great effort though

LCanadia – Great job on the huge PR     

Amik – Nice job on the 20.

Paula – I am NOT looking forward to coming back to the cold.  So nice running in shorts and t-shirt.

Indiana – Thanks.  If I can get my mileage back up to 30 plus by Jan 21st, I’ll run Calgary on May 26th.  Much cooler

Thanks everyone.  I'm still extremely happy I got through it and would have never done it without the help of this group.  Kept my training "honest".  

Feel surpsingly good today.  Stiff when I woke up but as I move around I feel  almost normal.  Heading back to Canada tomorrow and hopefully be back on my feet sometime this weekend.  Next cycle starts Jan 21st!!!

Play the Game Hard!

Canuck

What's your next race Josh?

White Lightning

What's your next race Josh?

Probably Calgary if I can get my mileage back to 30+ by Jan 21st

Play the Game Hard!

Canuck

You should come do Vancouver!  It's a beautiful course and the risk of hot weather is pretty tiny. 

Smashy!!!

Hey all, 

Did 6 @ 9:26. My knees felt fine during the run, but, like Flinders, I was kinda hobbling around afterward. They feel rickety. And they also feel worse after sitting (and especially if I have my legs folded). Tomorrows an off day. 

Josh, I already posted something on your RR thread, but I'll say it again: congrats! Those were tough conditions. Your experience sounds a lot like mine (which as we all know did not go according to plan). I know the allergies were playing havoc. But I've also heard that an elevated hr is also a sign of overtraining. Do you think you might have been overtrained? A few things come to mine: 1) that 13 miles felt a lot tougher in the marathon than other points in your training, 2) ITBS flaring up toward the end of your training, and 3) for some reason I remembering you needing to throw in a lot of recovery paced stuff toward the end. Just some food for thought. In any case, it looks like you learned a lot--especially about pacing (it's crazy how significant 10 sec/mile is isn't it). You'll be stronger and smarter for your next race, and I know you'll crush it. 

Sra, that sounds like hell. Way to persevere. The man in the mirror is looking on approvingly, for sure. 

Amik, just wanted to remind you to put in some easy paced miles this week, especially coming off that 20 miler. Those easy paces will help you stay on your feet while you recover from that workout. Re Garmin: I also got the 410, for my bday. I think the bezel functions by sensing moisture, so yeah, be sure to lock it. 

Akalei and onemile, the weather is also insane out in OH. It was 60 today. I wore a singlet! In Dec.! 

Roll, I've never suffered turf toe. But I remember them always talking about it in professional sports, and they make it sound like a real stubborn injury. Hope it's not that bad for you. Get better! 

Indi, have you decided on what race you'll be doing?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

CBus:  Thanks for the reminder.  Am planning to do the rest of my miles this week as easy except for Saturday, because we have a 5 mile trail race scheduled.  Probably not the best time for this race, but its the first in a series of 6 and I really want to compete for one of the top 3 points spots this year!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

White Lightning

Zoe - I looked at it but its about three weeks too early for me otherwise I'd do it.  Calgary is the latest I can go because I get real busy with work starting in June.  Maybe 2014 if I run a October/November marathon in 2013.  I'd like to do two a year for as long as I can, I had a blast

Cbus - lol, I thought I was under-trained.  Here's the thing.  First 13 miles didn't "feel" tough, I felt good but noticed my HR was pegged so slowed things down.  My legs were saying, let's go, let's go.  Of course I'm glad I didn't or I would have been on the bus later.  I started throwing some recovery stuff in to get to 6 days of running.  I averaged 10:10 to 10:40 on 90% of my runs.  This go around I will follow a proper plan and am sure I will make some serious improvements.  Here's my other thing, I could run today if I wanted to, I feel like I do the day after a long run.  <shrugs>

Crossing the finish line

Play the Game Hard!