Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

good morning donuts. Welcome aboard Simon. I am recent to this group as well. Stay tuned they have helpful info.

Thanks for the well wishes on the toe flinders and onemile. Tried a run last night and will try another tonight but i may be defering my entry for the marathon (Houston lets you do that and keep a gauranteed spot so you avoid the lotto system) until next year. I want very badly to run this marathon, seeing as though it would be my first, but i also want to run healthy for many more years and i feel as if running on this stupid toe is causing other problems in my foot. The bright side is that I can build a larger base and make a better run at the sub 4 next year. Plenty of smaller races between now and then. If you peeps dont object, i may continue to contribute here, even though i may not be marathon bound thsi go around, since may loong term goal is a sub 4.

off to find a donut or just oatmeal.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

mdawg87

Mdawg, awesome interval workout. Sounds like a Hansons Speed workout. (was it?)

Sharp eye!  Yes, it was the first speed work out from the beginner plan.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Sra, Josh, Docket, good job toughing out non-ideal situations this weekend. Josh, congrats on your first!

Flinders, sub 1:40 - awesome. That sure is inspiring, and making me think about actually training for a Spring half rather than just doing easy low mileage over the winter. I know I could set a PR no matter what since my best half was the first half of October's marathon, but I wonder how low in the 1:40's I could get. Hmmm...

Was planning on running this afternoon, but got 4 miles in this morning when I realized it was 60deg out at 6:00AM. 

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

BelRunner

Welcome, Simon!

Roll-sorry that toe is bothering you so much.  

Josh and Docket-way to finish despite difficult circumstances!

As for me, my long run keeps getting pushed further and further back this week.  I was feeling good after my race Saturday and a SRD Sunday and had planned 12 for Monday.  But we got snow overnight and then it was 34 with a snow/rain/sleet mixture in the morning-just about the worse possible weather for being outside.  So I did an easy 4 on the treadmill at the gym and then some core and strength stuff and planned on doing the 12 today.  I didn't sleep well last night and woke up with a bit of a cold today and sore from the strength training and just wasn't in the mood for a long run.  So I did 7 easy instead and moved the long run until Thursday.  I'm lucky that I have that flexibility.  My Pfitz 18/55 (+ a few extra miles early in the program) starts next week for Rotterdam.  

Jenny

PRs: 5K-23:08 (10/12), 10K-48:15 (4/12), 13.1-1:49:33 (10/12), 26.2-4:09:21 (5/12)

Trail Monster

Nice workout mdawg!

welcome Simon!

rollcast, you can definitely stick around! I still haven't broken 4:30 and they haven't kicked me out!

nice miles Nick.

I'm working second shift today so I did my workout this morning. 1 mile warm up, 20 x 1 minute repeats at mile pace with 1 minute recovery jogs, 1 mile cool down. Ended up with 6.2 miles at 9:40 average pace. Would rather have done 2 miles warm up and cool down but the little one was out of patience this morning.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

BelRunner

A question:

How do you all keep up with your training while traveling?  I haven't done very well at this.  I usually end up not running much, mainly because I don't know where to run and where in the cities I'm in might be safe or not safe for a woman runner by herself.  But I'm also thinking of Christmas.  We are planning on going back to the States for 2 weeks at Christmas.  I'm excited because it will be our first time back in 1.5 years and we'll be able to see all the family, etc, but I'm already stressing about getting the running in.  While at my parents' house it will be easy because they live 1/2 mile from a big park with tons of trails.  That part I'm looking forward to.  But my in laws live out in the country just off a road where the speed limit is 55mph with no sidewalks, etc.  It's hard to go for more than a few miles there.  

Jenny

PRs: 5K-23:08 (10/12), 10K-48:15 (4/12), 13.1-1:49:33 (10/12), 26.2-4:09:21 (5/12)

Thanks for all the welcomes, a friendly group for sure!

Bel you might be able to use a treadmill at a gym- the big chain usually offer visitors privileges to members. Or if staying in a hotel there may be a gym for guests.

If neither of these then it is more tricky but local running shops usually have group runs you can join at no cost.

Flinders- Australian? (Guessing from the name you chose..)

Nick, you had a busy month in October, 10k, half and full in one month, was that wise?

My  profile and log are public, so if anyone wants to know more about me, like  what shoes I wore or the weather conditions for a certain run it's all there!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

White Lightning

Cbus - My ITBS is directly related to hips being too tight.  Rolling helps but unless I do some specific stretches my PT gave me ITB hurts every time I run.  It’s just to be disciplined to do them.

Indi - Good luck this cycle, excited to see what you can pull off this time.

Simon – Welcome

Me – Knee had a bit of swelling last night but iced and compressed and it went right down, feels fine today.  Signed up for a HM for end of March (please no blizzard) and will most likely sign up for the full in Calgary in May, will do that as soon as I start running consistent miles again.

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Roll, injuries suck. Do what you gotta do to get over this toe thing. If you gotta defer Houston then do what you gotta do. Maybe you can get heeled up and train for a spring race instead. 

Bel, I don't travel much, and when I do, it's to CA to visit my folks. Thus I am there long enough to do my running there. you could try the website Maymyrun, and try mapping out some routes or searching for established routes, if you are planning ahead. 

Mdawg, what pace did you do that workout? 5K or 10K? And does that mean you've decided to go for a spring race?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

akalei

CBus: What have you been doing for your ITBS? Sorry, I'm sure you've said it before and I just missed it. I spent 3 months in PT for ITBS last year and after strengthening (for me, glutes and quads) and learning to run differently (thanks, Chris McDougall!) I haven't had an issue with it since. Rolling did wonders. I still have all my exercises that they had me doing and I'm happy to share anything that you haven't tried already.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Smashy!!!

CBus: What have you been doing for your ITBS? Sorry, I'm sure you've said it before and I just missed it. I spent 3 months in PT for ITBS last year and after strengthening (for me, glutes and quads) and learning to run differently (thanks, Chris McDougall!) I haven't had an issue with it since. Rolling did wonders. I still have all my exercises that they had me doing and I'm happy to share anything that you haven't tried already.

Akalei, thanks for the offer! Yes, I'd be interested in anything and everything. Basically, I'm rolling out, doing a strengthening routine (various leg lifts, planks, one and two legged bridges, that clam shell type exercise, lunges), and now I've added stretching of the glutes and hips. I'm already an efficient mid-foot runner. I would use more supportive shoes if I knew they would work, but I'm fairly certain that my issues start from the hips. 

Trail Monster

Can anyone see me? I've been posting daily but not getting responses? Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

Can anyone see me? I've been posting daily but not getting responses? Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?

I see you! I even gave you a shoutout for your great mileage last week. 

cmb4314

I think I will poke my head in here.  Big grin

I thought that I had no chance of hitting a sub-4 in my next marathon - then I knocked out a 1:50:09 HM with energy to spare just before starting my marathon training program (Pfitz 18/55).   And I thought, "hmmm.....4 hours?"

Last marathon I ran a little over a year ago was a 4:19, which at the time was 2xHM + 30 minutes (ugh), but it was hilly and about 75 degrees outside, and I didn't account enough for the warm weather and then crapped out on the late hills.  I think I will be better trained this time (more advanced plan, more lifetime running experience), running a completely flat marathon (New Orleans), and I can pray for good weather Wink.

The next three weeks will test my mettle - 48, 54, 50 miles, the final week culminating in a 16 mile long run with 12 miles at marathon pace.  Heavens my poor legs are going to need Christmas vacation.  

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

bagopux

You must've had on the Banshee Cloak of Invisibility.