Sub-4 Marathon Group

Music Thread - All things music ! (Read 39 times)

DetroitTigerFan

I'm always looking for music ideas for my Ipod.   And thus....a new post topic is born !! Smile

Use this post to discuss all things music !

Topic Ideas

• Favorite bands & songs you enjoy listening to while running or exercising
    • Inspirational lyrics 
    • Thoughts on music hardware (mp3, ipod players)
    • Do you race with music ? any music strategies during a race ?
    • Any stories related to music - like if a fav song starts playing as you are finishing a race or at a key part of a race
    • Music you can't stand running to,etc - lol
    • Anything else music related with running

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Ball of Fury

I like it! I always run with music...when I first started, it helped me get over the fact that I hated running and I was miserable.  Now, I just find it enjoyable!  I run with all kinds of music...country, hip/hop, hard rock, alternative....whatever!  I have question for everyone though:  what are your favorite headphones?  I have Earbuds but am now on my 3rd pair in a year because the stupid things keep breaking.  I think I am going to contact the company to see if they will replace my current pair because they shorted out during the marathon in January...that was unpleasant!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Training Montage from Rocky IV...nuff said! especially good when going up a hil.. DRAGO!!!!Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

White Lightning

Same as Amik, I used to use music to help me ignore the fact that I was running.  Now it compliments my run.  I don't however listen to anything GMP or faster so I can concentrate on breathing, paceing, cadence, etc....  I listen to pandora on my iphone to keep it fresh and always seem to end up to my Red Hot Chili Peppers channel with AC/DC added for a good mix.  Recovery days i'll just throw on the blues acoustic channel to keep me mellow

Amike - I love my Bose SIE2 Sport head phones.

My pre-race song is Europe - The Final Countdown but i'm not racing with music anymore now that i'm taking it a bit more serious

Play the Game Hard!

ap4

I actually do either podcasts or the radio to help take my mind off things and prevent staring at my watch.  Don't know the numbers of times I've tripped or stepped off the sidewalk while looking down or fussing with my Garmin.  Only during training though, I feel like part of the race experience is to soak in the atmosphere (and be aware of those around you.)

Headphones- I've been pretty happy with the Etymotic line of headphones.  I currently have the Etymotic Research MC5 Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones, which are about $55 on Amazon.  The last pair lasted me about 3 years of use before I started losing the connection in one ear.  They fit snugly and block out most ambient noise which is good or bad depending where you run.  I will go one-sided if there's a lot of bikers out on the trail or if I'm completely alone in the wee AM hours.

nachosgrande

Training Montage from Rocky IV...nuff said! especially good when going up a hil.. DRAGO!!!!Smile

Lol!  Set that incline to 60 and let 'er rip.  Just no preworkout injections from your team of doctors, ok?

DetroitTigerFan

Nachos and jedi - i never understood 2 things about that Rocky 4 sequence -1) the hilarious 60 degree angle - trying to understand how that is physically possible and what health benefit Drago was exactly getting other than a hyper extended achilies - LOL and 2) when the camera pans to the treadmill controls and its all blinking lights - no labels or levers on the lights- LOL - its like - why are they all blinking - what does that mean ???!! Smile

Next time i run indoors, i want to run in the dark with a spotlight chasing me - haha !!!

DetroitTigerFan

I have question for everyone though:  what are your favorite headphones?

Ami - mine are very un-aerodyamic but i love them - i have ones that clip around the ear and the headphonego over the ear but not in it them. I end up being able to hear around me better. The only disadvantage, sometimes you can hear the earplugs bouncing as you run. I have 2 pairs, but Sony doesn't make them anymore and it looks like Amazon charges aftermarket prices (one listing is for $140 !! and i got them for like $30 normal price a few years ago)

http://store.sony.com/p/clip-on-headphones/en/p/MDRQ22LP

DetroitTigerFan

I don't however listen to anything GMP or faster so I can concentrate on breathing, paceing, cadence, etc....

Josh - i do the same thing - VO2 max or any fast stuff i need to leave them off. It's my most challenging workout - at peak i think Pfitz has like a ~1.5 hr VO2 max workout at a track with no music

Docket_Rocket

I always run (and race) with music.  It's a Miami thing, I've always said.

Anyway, most of what I like you guys have never heard of, but reggaetón is my favorite genre for racing.  The beats are just amazing.  Favorites would be anything by Daddy Yankee.  If you want a sample, PM me your email and I'll send you some.

I have a playlist and work on it depending on my goals.  I currently have a 4:30 playlist for a marathon, hmmmm.  Maybe I should just have a 4 hour one and maybe I'll get lucky?

From what you know, I love ACDC on my iPod too.  And Quiet Riot.  I am still not sure how people can run while listening to country music because I for sure would've fallen asleep.

Funny thing from Saturday's run.  We started the run in the sand.  The sun was rising and I started my iPod.  First song: Eye of the Tiger.  I felt like Rocky in Rocky III for sure.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And oops, that country music joke was made before I read AmiK's post.  It was a joke, just in case. Joking

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

I always have music when I'm on the treadmill, never outside.  Basically, I'm just hugely paranoid and want to hear everything around me when I'm outside without any distractions.  The treadmill is just SO boring though, that I need something to help get me through.

Amusingly, I'm still rocking the earbuds from my original IPod, which are something like 8 years old at this point..  The little rubber strip on the edge of the earpieces (I guess it's for comfort) is nearly entirely peeled off on both ears, but I can't feel the difference.  I've tried much nicer earbuds, but I could hear them shift in my ears with every step, and these ones just sit still.  I'm going to use them until they die because I like them so much.

Usually, I stream local radio stations on my smartphone while I run.  I always have trouble deciding what I feel like listening to, and the radio decides for me Smile  Part of the problem is that the music I listen to while not running tends to be like, singer/songwriter, guy/girl with guitar or piano kind of stuff, which I love, but is decidedly underwhelming music to run to.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Ball of Fury

How dare you criticize my music Wink!  I listen to country on easy runs...helps me remember to run slow, especially if I fall asleep...that's a nice, easy pace!  as far as race songs, when we ran the Mini-Marathon for the first time last year, I was in complete awe of what 35,000 runners together looked like at the start line.  When they started the gun, the first song on my I-pod (put the playlist in shuffle) was the Rocky theme (not Eye of the Tiger...the other one).  It was very inspiring to hear that song and just see so many people running A race together!

And oops, that country music joke was made before I read AmiK's post.  It was a joke, just in case. Joking

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

nachosgrande

Nachos and jedi - i never understood 2 things about that Rocky 4 sequence -1) the hilarious 60 degree angle - trying to understand how that is physically possible and what health benefit Drago was exactly getting other than a hyper extended achilies

Wha...Wha...What?!?  Don't tell me you haven't been incorporating AGVF (anti-gravity velocity factor) intervals into your training!

Docket_Rocket

Burning Heart?  Or the one without lyrics?

How dare you criticize my music Wink!  I listen to country on easy runs...helps me remember to run slow, especially if I fall asleep...that's a nice, easy pace!  as far as race songs, when we ran the Mini-Marathon for the first time last year, I was in complete awe of what 35,000 runners together looked like at the start line.  When they started the gun, the first song on my I-pod (put the playlist in shuffle) was the Rocky theme (not Eye of the Tiger...the other one).  It was very inspiring to hear that song and just see so many people running A race together!

Damaris

Fundraising Page