Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

There are no retail outlets here in Houston for me to try the flipbelt.

Roll- I had to get the flipbelt at a marathon expo- I got it at Hartford- they're at a lot of expos these days.

Akalei- I'll email you back.  That maternity policy is horrific.  We get FOUR MONTHS!!! Our policy is fantastic. My firm actually has a big PA presence and is a Pittsburgh -based firm.  I'll give you deets.   I'm reading the Cheryl Sandberg book "Lean In" and just, wow...yeah story of being a woman in a big law firm is pretty much written all over that.

ONemile- lulu shorts.  The waistband is basically like the flipbelt.  I shove everything in that waistband.  It held all my Gu and stuf for the marathon in it and I carried nothing on me, not even my inhaler.  Heck, that company even makes bras that store Gu.   Sign me up.

Indi- chin up! TAPER TIME.  You'll be totally fine.  Just eat healthy to take stress off your body that way, and treat yourself well.  IT'll pass!

Me: I have a cold. ICK.  Working from home today so I don't infect everyone.  Took spin this morning bc I had already paid.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

thanks for the support everybody!  5 easy in the books today. HR is back where it should be.  Keeping it easy and looking forward to race day.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Getting better, but slowly. So another day off. Still hopeful I'll be ready by Monday.

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

I think that offer sucked.  As to the DOJ, we are in a hiring freeze, but PM me for what you need.  Have you always been in a clerkship?  If so, you might be candidate for the program that hired me (I'll include it in my response).

Docket and Sprinkles: Thanks for the input.  I'm actually in a state intermediate appellate clerkship.  I've considered sticking with the government--maybe EPA or something.  I always wanted to do corporate/environmental though, so who knows.  Anyway, I'm turning down this job offer after finding out that the firm has no maternity leave policy except for me to either (a) take short term disability for 6 weeks at 60% pay or (b) save my sick days for 4 years (without taking a single sick day off, since they only give you 7 a year) to be able to have 6 weeks off.  And then I'd have to wait another 4 years to have another.  I want a family one day, even if not yet, but it's something I need to consider as much as I take into consideration how good schools are in our area when we look to buy.  It's definitely an "ol' boys" firm, about 30 attorneys, and this sort of showed that.  I know not every place offers a maternity leave, but a lot of the big firms have good policies on this, and I busted my butt to come out at the top of my class, even if at a lower tier school, and I feel like I deserve a little more.  Plus, Sprinkles, you had a good point with having certain resources available to you.  My mind goes right to an unlimited Lexis subscription because I tend to be a roundabout researcher Smile  Docket, I may be picking your mind about DOJ in the near future, too!

So back to the real stuff, I just checked out the FlipBelt and I really like the looks of it.  I have a SpiBelt, and it's nice, but it has to be arranged just so or it bounces.

RVD: Happy birthday!

Banshee: I don't know much about your line of work, but my husband used to work in QA (he's in the produce industry, and judging by the possibility of a radiation safety position, I'm guessing you aren't in that field Joking), and he didn't like it much at all.  However, I think it had more to do with the people he worked with than anything.

Indi: chin up!  Hope everything works out!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Just order one from their website, they are not that expensive.  If not, return it.  I ordered mine and it fit so I didn't have to go through that hassle.

There are no retail outlets here in Houston for me to try the flipbelt.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

ONemile- lulu shorts.  The waistband is basically like the flipbelt.  I shove everything in that waistband.  It held all my Gu and stuf for the marathon in it and I carried nothing on me, not even my inhaler.  Heck, that company even makes bras that store Gu.   Sign me up.

Oh I have a few of those. Unfortunately the ones I like the best don't have pockets.  I WISH I liked their groove shorts because those have nice pockets but they aren't very flattering on me.

Docket_Rocket

lulus have bras that store GU?  I don't find their pockets that big (at least to carry 5 GUs).  How many GUs can you put in them?  My Crank e-gels are 1.5 size bigger than the GUs so they cannot fit in there (except one in each).

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

The reason I recommend the gel ready race belt is because you do not have to attach your bib number to your shirt during a race.  This is particularly helpful if you start a race and it is cold.  You can peel of whatever layers you have without needing to worry about your bib.  Also the gels are attached to the belt itself, leaving the pouch free for whatever else you may find necessary to carry.  The belt holds up to 10 gels ( I have carried 8 without a hint of a problem) and has never caused me any chaffing problems or discomfort.  I keep caffeine gels on one side and decaf on the other so I can be sure to alternate between the two through the race.

Of course guys do not get all of the high fashion running options that you ladies do.  I paid 35 bucks for a Pearl Izumi Fly singlet and 50 dollars for a the Fly split shorts and felt as if the world was going to end with prices so high on so little material!  Still it amazes me how many choices  you ladies get for running attire.  I would probably be in some amount of trouble if I had so many choices.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Hey guys...just wanted to pop in for a quick hi!  Super busy day at work today...too many babies!  Anyway, got in 5 easy this morning @ 10:35/mile.  Hope you all have a nice Easter weekend.  I have to work...bummer!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Onemile- I forget the name of the ones I have- they're not the groove ones though- these have actual leg holes and aren't just tights.  They look like this ...

Docket- I don't know if the bras are still available, but they totally had bras that had an extra layer in which you could shove a gu packet, i..e if you're running in a sports bra in the summer.  I don't have one.  I only carry 1 Gu during a marathon though, and then take whichever Gu they hand out for the second.  I've only ever used 2.5 (Philly) as my max Gu -before-puking capacity.

Indiana- I hear ya on the pricey running clothes- I basically have expensive bottoms and then just race in my singlet for my team.  For non-team points races I get jazzed to wear something else!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Oh, I tried checking the bras but I didn't see one with a pocket.  ONe has some sort of hole but it says it's for breathability but it is big enough for a GU.

And thanks to you, I just purchased two more skirts there.  The new pink and white one looks so cute.  Damn you!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

afternoon everyone.  Something hit me hard yesterday giving me a fever and really congested so no running.  Feel a bit better today and hoping i'm ready to go again tomorrow.  Just trying to stay hydrated and rested.

I use the same belt that indi uses and highly recommend it.

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Feel better!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

Ami - on your QOTD, last year i did my pfitz tune up HM 4-5 weeks before the marathon and i think it worked out really well.  I stopped racing after the HM - all my 10K tune ups were earlier - tried to hit the schedule as best i could. I was tempted to run a HM 2-3 weeks out. It's a popular hilly HM for some runners here training for the local annual marathon, but i just thought it was waay too risky for a pfitz plan with a time goal. I'm going to do the same 4-5 week race this year too

Question for those doing 12 x 400's - how long do you do your recovery lap for ?  I see the Hanson's book says 50-100% of the time. So, if you did a 2 minute interval, you'd recover in 1-2 minutes and startup.  I've been used to doing a full 400 lap fast and one 400 lap slow as opposed to the time rule.

Finally some good weather over here !!! a 50 degree heat wave !!!  whoever's sending the sun over please keep it going !!!!

Hope everyone's pony tail is nice and bouncy this good weather weekend !

Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

DTF, although there are different schools of thoughts, I usually do 200s for 400s and 200s for 200 intervals.  Having said that, recovery is I think as important (or even more) than the actual interval, so make sure to keep it long enough to recover between intervals.  Pfitz also has recoveries at 50-90% of the interval distance/time.

Damaris

Fundraising Page