Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

akalei

6 mile run at lunch went well... just in time, too.  It's raining now!  Regardless of my rain wimp status, no one wants to spend an afternoon in the office looking like a drowned rat Smile

Jedi: your profile pic is in Harrisburg!  Big grin I just ran Front Street at lunch.  Now that I think of it, I remember you saying you were running HBG back in November when we were still on the RWOL boards.  Hope you enjoyed it.  I had fun volunteering--everyone should do that from time to time.  It's neat to check out the "other" side and see how things work... gives you a new appreciation!

Question for you Garmin-users: my Garmin spent forever on the "Getting Location" screen, and it never got past about 10% on that little bar on the bottom that fills up as it's getting closer.  So I just quit with that since I know the route.  Does this happen a lot when it's overcast?  I'm still new with the GPS.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Ball of Fury

Cubs:  I am delayed at the Columbus airport on the way to Disney and its not raining any more...get out there! Yes, I know you are probably at work but I am bored in here and it's apparently pick on CBus day so I wanted to join in!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

akalei - yeah that was Harrisburg probably the last .2 when pic taken. I had fun race for most part until about Mile 17 when i got some blisters. Crushed stone section right before Wildwood did me. Don't think I broke my shoes in enough, but still PR'd by 4 minutes. far cry from my 3;30 goal but that's marathoning for you I guess.Smile I would not say course is flat and fast though as they label it. I ran the HM last year too and both PRs reside in Harrisburg for the moment.

My garmin does that sometimes. i usually turn it on in house so by time I get outside it's ready to go.

6 mile run at lunch went well... just in time, too.  It's raining now!  Regardless of my rain wimp status, no one wants to spend an afternoon in the office looking like a drowned rat Smile

Jedi: your profile pic is in Harrisburg!  Big grin I just ran Front Street at lunch.  Now that I think of it, I remember you saying you were running HBG back in November when we were still on the RWOL boards.  Hope you enjoyed it.  I had fun volunteering--everyone should do that from time to time.  It's neat to check out the "other" side and see how things work... gives you a new appreciation!

Question for you Garmin-users: my Garmin spent forever on the "Getting Location" screen, and it never got past about 10% on that little bar on the bottom that fills up as it's getting closer.  So I just quit with that since I know the route.  Does this happen a lot when it's overcast?  I'm still new with the GPS.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

mdawg87

Back from the 2nd appointment and working from home.  More work on the right leg, this time lower towards the heel/achilles area.  Also addressed the left calf as it had the same issue during the last part of Chicago training...just not as bad.  He did some nerve work as well to get them "flowing" correctly in the right leg.  I think I may be a little more sore this time!

Running in the rain:  i ran my first marathon in 45 degrees with a steady rain until it finally slacked off around mile 15.  Then the wind picked up as the front started to come through.  Awesome...  Can't say I ever want to repeat that.  I'm with you cbus!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

It stopped raining, so I skipped out of work early to get my run in. Did 4.2 @ 10:08. I was able to wear my Elixirs again, AND preserve my rain wimp status! How did I get that title anyway? I run in the rain all the time.

Akalei, +1 to volunteering. I did it this year at Columbus, and it was awesome. As for Garmin, that can happen to me. Like Jedi, I feel like it links faster in doors than out doors. I usually initiate a link and then start warming up, and by the time I'm ready so is Garmin.

Ami, welcome to Cbus! Have a safe trip!

Mdawg, glad to hear the treatments are going well. Are you noticing a difference?

Zoe, glad to hear your treatments are also going well.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

This was his expression when the camera guy told him to give the dolphin a kiss. Notice the missing teeth.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Dreamn

Super cute pic, Rollcast.  I saw your family pics in the BF, beautiful family!

Good luck AmiK and Docket.  I'm a little sad that I picked Bermuda over Disney this year :-(.

6 easy miles today and just beat the rain!

Trail Monster

Akalei, nice 6! My Garmin is the 305 so it takes longer to connect but that thing is a monster! It hasn't failed me yet!

Mdawg, glad you're getting the calves figured out. I noticed I still have bruises! I'm going to be one big bruise by the time this is over!

Cbus, glad you got your run in.

Rollcast, adorable!

Dreamn, I would kill to see Bermuda!

Got my 7 miles of rolling hills in, 9:49 average. Instructions were to push hard on the ups and recover on the flats/downs. Very happy with that strong I felt!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Love the picture, Rollcast, definitely a keeper.

Banshee, that is terrible. Are you a full time student or do you have a job? Can you get a position as a teaching assistant to help pay the way? If working, will the company help you pay so they have a better qualified employee?

Probably very different here in Canada, my son did 4 years of university to get an honours degree in Math, which my wife and I paid for, but for his Masters degree in pure mathematics he paid his own way with a TA position. He is now a derivatives analyst and taking further courses, but able to pay for them himself.

Cbus, I like Asics 1100 series, but Elixirs are boss!

Josh, congratulations on the weight loss, and stick with it- your health is so important. Don't worry too much about deadlines, it's more a matter of forming healthy habits for the rest of your life, which it definitely seems you are doing!

Gunnie, some really impressive and tough goals you have set for yourself this year, very impressive.

What a tough group of people you are- Docket running the Goofy and Ami joining her in the heat and humidity of Florida, Josh out running in knee-deep snow, Indy running 8 miles in the absolute dead of night, half of you running great  mileage  through illness and injuries that would put me on the couch- I'm very impressed!

I think we need a monthly "tough guy" title for whoever shows the most HTFU attitude. (This was an expression that caused some merriment around here a couple of years ago, taken from an Australian video, it means Harden the FU!)

I feel now after a few weeks of chatting with you all that I am getting to know the group a bit better- I wish more of the RA folks would join up, I am really enjoying myself here- thank you all!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Trail Monster

Simon, I work and I'm a full time student so I can't take a TA position or anything. I would pay for school myself but the payment 'plan' is $800 a month. I'm the bread winner in our house so that's not an option. Student loans from the federal governments programs max out at $57,000 I think is what they told me. I have to cover the rest with private loans (about $12,000 to cover three more semesters) and since that's not going to happen now I guess I'm done with college. I registered to take my CPR/AED course and 6 weeks of personal training classes. Once that's over I will test for my Certified Personal Training certificate and finish my degree in health and wellness later If I can find an employer with tuition assistance.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

White Lightning

akalei - I turn on my garmin when I start getting dressed, plus I run about a 5 minute drive away from my house so it has plenty of time to connect.

So she didn't do any Graston on me today but did other work.  My back lower back is locked, as in I can't bend from the hips.  When I bend any which way, I bend from the belly button up so she worked on that but needs me to get an x-ray before I can have any real work done, confirmed my scoliosis is causing everything to contract around there.  She used Active Release on my butt, hamstrings, quads and calves.  Painful at the beginning but after 5 minutes or so, pain free.  No knee pain by the time she was finished and never touched my knees, really interesting.

Worst part was working on my left ankle.  I guess your foot/toes should have about 30% dorsiflexion when pulling up, I have 0% in my left ankle, the one I have to tape before I run.  My foot never heeled properly when I broke it, all three times.  She tried to re-set (pop) some bones but couldn't get anything to click.  Worked on the nerve on the inside of my ankle making sure it was separated from the muscles, freakin hurt and feels like its on fire right now. Confirmed that I need a different kind of shoe for each foot, i've been told this since I started running.  Basically told me tough luck unless I want to get into orthodics

On a positive note, I have very minimal scar tissue.  Heading back on Tuesday for more work, and wants to see my running mechanics to see if there's something we can do about my ankle.

Play the Game Hard!

Thanks Simon, Dream and Banshee. He is an old soul.

Banshee, I dont recommend it but i have some friends that have taken equity loans out on their homes to cover their college tuition. If thats an option.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

akalei

Morning, donuts!  Heading out for 6 with DH and pup this morning once breakfast digests.

Thanks for the help on the Garmin, all.  I turned it on while I was in my office building, but I swear that place is built like a lock box, so maybe that's why it never connected.

Jedi: You're definitely right about the hills at HBG.  When I was leaving the race, some lady was telling her family about how the hills at Wildwood were "straight up, straight down, straight up, straight down!"  I had to laugh.  Coincidentally enough, I'm running Wildwood this morning.  Even for short hills, I've found that they prep me well for any other hills in races.

Did I mention I'm jealous of the Disney folk?  DH just informed me that if we were doing Goofy, we'd be running right now.  Disapprove

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Rusk Runner

Morning All!!

Beautiful pic Roll!

Akalei - I usually set mine out on the porch whilst I dress.

Josh - Jeez Louise, you gonna be allright?

SRD for me yesterday and busy setting up new phones after work.  Will do 5 recovery later today.  Best wishes to all.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Good morning from Saratoga Springs Resort at WDW!  We got in about an hour late last night but we made it!  Did a quick 2-mile shake out run this morning @ 10:15 with just a few strides.  It felt pretty nice out til we started running and then wow, heated up quick!  Hope Docket's 1/2 went well!  We are headed to the Ethe and then some laying around the pool.  Hope you all have a great day!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15