Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

When running intervals I have done a couple of things:

1) Allow 3 minutes total to run the 400 and rest- if you slow down on the run you get less rest. Don't usually do this.

2) Run 400 then jog about 100. Thinking here is that the jog is about half the pace of the running so this will be about 50% of the time.

I don't have access to a track so I simply estimate the 100meters, I don't think accuracy is important.

3) Run 400 then stand around puffing and panting until I feel a bit better, i.e. not fully recovered. This method is very unscientific as the rest periods start short but get longer as the session progresses. This is probably ok as the heart rate is raised sooner and then maintained for the rest of the session.

I don't always follow plans exactly. I am not sure why not; I fully realise people who wrote them know a lot more about training than I do.

About 10k yesterday at easy pace.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

"Naked" aka Garminless run today - 5 miles with a nasty head cold and my trusty inhaler.  My lungs and nose hurt but I wound up doing about an 8:53 pace on average despite stopping to adjust my podcast twice.  The pace felt super easy, like a 10:00 pace used to feel a year ago.  This really makes me think that I am getting faster this training cycle no matter what.  If I hit the 3:45 ish mark this spring, I may try to go for a BQ in the fall...

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Hello?  They make other stuff?

Docket- I am a BAD influence!  Did you get the cute kind with the pleats in the back? I have my eye on that one- good pockets! I have a black one that I love because its flattering.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I had a fun run with the ultra running group and my plan was to run the 50K I never got to run last week but I'm still sick.  After Mile 18 I said fuck it and quit.  I have used the nebulizer once already but it's not a good day for me :-/

Having said that, I don't think I could've finished an 18 miler last year with the asthma like this so progress!

Hope everybody has a great day today!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Intervals - with Hansons I do whatever they specify. For the 400s, they had 400 recoveries but they also had 400 recoveries for the 800s.  When I used a Pfitz plan, he said to run for half the time of the interval so I did that.  So basically, I follow whatever the plan says Smile

Sprinkes - Yeah, I think I meant the 'Groovy Run Short' - the Groove Short is the fitted one.   Nice pace on your run today!

D - hope you feel better!

Got my 8 easy in . Legs are feeling tired.  My last LR is tomorrow!  Only 3 weeks til M-day

Docket_Rocket

Meh, onemile, it's just annoying.  I'm sure if I had taken some time off this would be history, but coming back from vacation to work 12 hours a day and Trixie being in the hospital and waking up at all hours to medicate her, have taken their toll.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

7 fast yesterday and 5 easy today.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Evening, all.  Sorry I have been a bit MIA. (That seems to be my lot -- missing most of the week and being able to catch up on the weekends -- but things should improve in a couple of weeks when some of my after-work commitments ease up).

I had a fun run this afternoon.  The weather is beautiful; the first true spring day we've had -- its about 60F, clear and calm.  I took the subway out to a neighborhood in which I used to live.  It is near a trailhead for the system of trails that crisscross parts of the city, and I ran home from there.  (Sadly, when I lived in this area, I wasn't a runner yet, so their existence and benefit was lost on me).   The first mile and a half was relatively technical, but the remaining three miles of the trail portion of the run was mostly a rocky path that was relatively flat. Ended up being 11.1 @ 8:58.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Docket - I have one that has vertical pleating from a few years ago - now I want the other kind too!  So many color options.  Either that or the Oiselle bum wrap, but I can't decide if that offers enough pockets.

Onemile- yeah the groove short is really fitted.  I have one pair of the booty shorts and i like them, but i fear what they might appear like in race photos.

Docket- Asthma blows.  Also, 50k! Dude.  I can't even imagine.  I have to do 18 tomorrow and i'm already concerned because I have a minor cough from this cold.  Totally need to suck it up.

Flinders- welcome back! nice running

Roll- nice runs

Me- just got back from Soulcycle with BRADLEY COOPER IN MY CLASS.   I hate to say that i wouldnt' have noticed had the girl next to me not informed me.

Ball of Fury

Docket - I have one that has vertical pleating from a few years ago - now I want the other kind too!  So many color options.  Either that or the Oiselle bum wrap, but I can't decide if that offers enough pockets.

Onemile- yeah the groove short is really fitted.  I have one pair of the booty shorts and i like them, but i fear what they might appear like in race photos.

Docket- Asthma blows.  Also, 50k! Dude.  I can't even imagine.  I have to do 18 tomorrow and i'm already concerned because I have a minor cough from this cold.  Totally need to suck it up.

Flinders- welcome back! nice running

Roll- nice runs

Me- just got back from Soulcycle with BRADLEY COOPER IN MY CLASS.   I hate to say that i wouldnt' have noticed had the girl next to me not informed me.

Sprinkles:  I must tell you I am disappointed....he is super, duper hot!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Sprinkles:  I must tell you I am disappointed....he is super, duper hot!!

He was hiding beneath a baseball cap and a hoodie and I was 3 rows back!

Ball of Fury

He was hiding beneath a baseball cap and a hoodie and I was 3 rows back!

Excuses, excuses!! Wink

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Missing a long run today- I am going to try to do 13 during the week and 18 next weekend, effectively swapping my days - I got hit with a horrific head/chest cold last night and am out of commission...haven't slept at all.  Ugh.

Ball of Fury

Sorry to hear that Sprinkles!  I am sick as a dog too!  Up all night coughing and for some reason, my joints are so achy, I had to walk sideways down the stairs this morning...can't bend my knees!  URD for me Angry.  I hope you get some rest today and feel better.  I am unfortunately working a 12 hour shift, but hopefully, it won't be too busy!

All the rest of you Donuts, have a great day and Happy Easter!

DetroitTigerFan

Happy Easter !

Gals - hope you all feel better soon !

Sprinkles - did Mr Cooper have a lady friend with him in class? - if so, on behalf of the guys ... details ! Smile

Docket - how's the cat doing?

Me - had a challenging run yesterday 12 miles at 10min/mile - as expected, negotiating mud on hilly trails and dirt roads slowed me down, but at least i have a stake in the ground and something to improve in.  The mud wasn't too bad.  It was a long run anyway, but i ran on effort and expect better for that type of workout - it will come back as my fitness improves - still have 2 months to go for my HM on the same course

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/