Sub-4 Marathon Group

Madison Marathon -- evil hill at mile 25? (Read 135 times)

I was nosing around looking for another fall marathon that didn't conflict with Chicago.  I see the Madison Marathon is to be held on Nov 10th, four weeks after Chicago BUT.....  In reading reviews I hear tell of an evil hill at mile 25.  Anybody know how evil that hill is, or have a recommendation for another non-conflicting marathon in November that is flatish?

onemile

The Rails to Trails marathon is flat and pretty.

http://railstotrailsrace.com/

I ran the half last year and I'd do the full if I was looking for a November marathon.

The Rails to Trails marathon is flat and pretty.

http://railstotrailsrace.com/

I ran the half last year and I'd do the full if I was looking for a November marathon.

I see that also has a 320 foot hill that one hits a couple of times.  Sad

Trail Monster

Marshall University Marathon in Huntington, WV is pretty darn flat and in November.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Harrisburg decent marathon in November or Richmond which I hear is good race too.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Marshall University Marathon in Huntington, WV is pretty darn flat and in November.

I see it is a two looper, but that is not a show stopper.  I don't see any date specified for it yet though  It would be nice to have at least 4 weeks after Chicago on Oct 13.

Harrisburg decent marathon in November or Richmond which I hear is good race too.

I see the Harrisburg hills hit you from mile 18.x to 20.x or so.  Richmond doesn't show an elevation profile but does refer to "rolling hills."  One reason I'm nosing about for another fall marathon is that if I don't get my sub-4 in Chicago maybe I can get another shot before having to go through another training cycle while waiting for a spring marathon.  Chicago is nice and flat, but does have congestion and a bunch of turns that can cost time/distance.  Also, Chicago's weather is always a crap shoot.

onemile

I think you must be looking at an old elevation chart map.  It's very flat.  I mean there is a slight grade in some sections but nothing I would call a hill.

I see that also has a 320 foot hill that one hits a couple of times.  Sad

I think you must be looking at an old elevation chart map.  It's very flat.  I mean there is a slight grade in some sections but nothing I would call a hill.

This is the map I was looking at.

It shows grades of 2.0% for 1.4 miles, 2.4% for 1.19 miles and 3.6% for 1.13 miles.

Ball of Fury

The Indianapolis Monumental Marathon is flat, flat, flat but is Nov 2nd, which might be too early.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

That includes the old out and back which they did not do in 2012.  I guess I can tell you that it didn't feel hilly. It felt completely flat.  But it is on a crushed limestone path, so that's a consideration too.

This is the map I was looking at.

It shows grades of 2.0% for 1.4 miles, 2.4% for 1.19 miles and 3.6% for 1.13 miles.

That includes the old out and back which they did not do in 2012.  I guess I can tell you that it didn't feel hilly. It felt completely flat.  But it is on a crushed limestone path, so that's a consideration too.

Actually, my DD did the Wisconsin Ironman in Madison this past August, and while she was on the bike segment I went out for a 20 mile run on a trail that Madison Mandy had recommended.  It was also crushed limestone.  It is not my favorite, but I didn't have any problem with it.

runlikeagirI

Are you dead set on Chicago? St. George (which is by lottery) and Twin Cities are either the same week as Chicago or a week before.  For some reason I think I remember reading that Chicago is not the first weekend in October this year.  The other two I mention are.

Are you dead set on Chicago? St. George (which is by lottery) and Twin Cities are either the same week as Chicago or a week before.  For some reason I think I remember reading that Chicago is not the first weekend in October this year.  The other two I mention are.

Chicago is the second Sunday in October, the 13th.  Yeah, it will be my 6th consecutive Chicago.  It is my favorite marathon each year.

Trail Monster

I see it is a two looper, but that is not a show stopper.  I don't see any date specified for it yet though  It would be nice to have at least 4 weeks after Chicago on Oct 13.

It was November 5th for 2012. I did Baltimore in October and then Marshall in November and the spacing was good.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop