Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Ball of Fury

Evening donuts!  Just wanted to pop in and say we did get our run in.  Ended up at the gym so the kids could play for a while (DS has been absolutely fine all day, after the vomiting incident at 3 AM) so did 4 miles alternating between the TM and the tiny indoor track (20 laps is a mile).  Average pace 9:53....dead legs for sure!  We then did some push-ups, pull-ups, and ab work.  Looking forward to intervals tomorrow morning.  Have a great night all!

Onemile:  Although I am certainly not an expert, I think  you are right on track!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Trail Monster

3.5 mile hill workout tonight. 10 minute warm up, 30 minutes at 6-8% incline, 10 minute cool down. Yoga later. If the kids go to bed on time I will catch up on personals. I owe you all donuts!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

!

cbus - I think I will like it too, but I want some runs over 16 miles.  Kind of wondering if I should contact Luke and ask for a custom program.  Of course all of that depends on how well things go in April.

SRD for me today.  7 easy on schedule for tomorrow in the AM.

Indi, I definitely thin you'd crush the Advanced program. You could follow the guidelines on how to add more miles, like doing a 16 mi LR every week instead of every other week. You could certainly purchase a customized plan. But I wonder if you couldn't just follow the 25% rule they say they follow. Meaning, on weeks you do a 20 miler, just make sure the weekly mileage is 80+ by adding to easy days or to wu/cd. But I think RV and Jedi have purchased customized plans, so maybe they can say if there is more to it than that.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Awesome, thanks guys! That's it then.  3:45 or bust.  I'm excited to start the strength workouts and get on with it now that I've decided on MP :dancing banana:  Big grin

Amik - glad your son is doing better and you got your run in!

Banshee - nice job on the hill workout. 6-8% is a pretty serious incline.

zoe -  glad your run went ok and no pain is awesome! Smile

indi - thanks for the encouragement as always! enjoy the rest!  The capping of the LR at 16 definitely makes me nervous. I still might end up going for an 18 miler for one of them.

cbus - nice job on the easy miles. 9:35 on dead legs?? Pretty decent.

Damaris - fingers crossed your forecast holds and you get a perfect weather race for once!

Did my 8 easy around 10mm. Legs are feeling a bit better. Hopefully ready to hit the intervals again tomorrow.

Rusk Runner

Good Morning Donuts!  Its 4:35 AM, do you know where your running shoes are!?

Out at 3:16 for 7 miles GA.  Thought I was supposed to run GA but turns out it was supposed to be recovery.  Oh well, 7 @ 8:42 avg, 25 deg.

Shout out later for personals, I gotta get lunch made, showered, coffeed, and off to work.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning all.

onemile, to chime in late, yes, you seem to be on track.  3:45 is a good goal.

Zoe, hope you figure it out, but no pain when running is good.

Nice runs, everyone.

Just finished 6.7 easy @ 8:23; I was out the door at 5am.  This second early am run of this month was a lot easier than the first.  We'll see how it goes later in the week when I have a couple morning runs under my belt.  I'm scheduled to run with a friend at lunch today, so I should be adding 3.5-4 to the day.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Indi, I definitely thin you'd crush the Advanced program. You could follow the guidelines on how to add more miles, like doing a 16 mi LR every week instead of every other week. You could certainly purchase a customized plan. But I wonder if you couldn't just follow the 25% rule they say they follow. Meaning, on weeks you do a 20 miler, just make sure the weekly mileage is 80+ by adding to easy days or to wu/cd. But I think RV and Jedi have purchased customized plans, so maybe they can say if there is more to it than that.

I didn't purchase a "customized" plan; I just purchased the "uncustomized" HansonMarathon 20 week, 40-60 miles per week plan.  I'm definitely lovin' it.  There is a lot more meat there than is shown in the book.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

indi - I plan on posting my hanson plan soon and you can take a look at. I added miles as they suggest and plan to do a LR every week as they suggest in book if you can handle it. i have 16wk custom plan too and my plan is a mix of book advanced book and that plan. Don't get hung up on the 16m LR. You can run longer than that if mileage warrants it 25% of your weekly total. My last 4 weeks will be 18-18-20-20 but will be running in high 70s at that point. My mileage will top out at 80. Can't wait for this. if my May half goes as planned might be making a BQ attempt in Philly, but that's putting the cart way before the horse right now.Smile

cbus - I think I will like it too, but I want some runs over 16 miles.  Kind of wondering if I should contact Luke and ask for a custom program.  Of course all of that depends on how well things go in April.

SRD for me today.  7 easy on schedule for tomorrow in the AM.

Morning Donuts! 8+ miles w/4x5min @ I pace (6:18) on mill w/3min recoveries. Warm-up/cooldown miles to/from gym. just too windy out this morning to be doing that kind of run outside. #doworkgetfaster

Oh, colleague brought in donuts, so who am I to decline that. Just one though. I'm still burning calories from run this morning anyway.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

Good morning Donuts!!

Flinders:  Nice AM run!  I think you will come to enjoy them more and more!

Indy:  Good lord, I wish 8:42 was my recovery pace!  As far as Hanson and the 20-mile run thing, I think their big sticking point is just overall mileage and that for many of us that are "only" running 40-60 miles/week, a 20-miler is too big a percentage of the weekly mileage and takes too long to recover from.  If you have higher mileage, I do not think running 18-20 mile long runs would be a bad thing at all.  I am quite sure their elites run more than 16 mile long runs at times.

RV:  May I ask how the purchased plan is different than the book plan?

Onemile:  Glad your legs are coming back around!  Do you plan to run your strength runs at the track?  I haven't decided...I would like them to be fairly flat, because our goal HM is very flat, and where I typically run, there is only a 1.5 mile section of road that is flat.  I have been doing my tempos back and forth on that little stretch but that's pretty boring!

CBus:  Hope you enjoy your intervals today!

Banshee:  Welcome back!  That is a big hill workout!

Nachos:  Sorry to hear about the shin splints...hope you recover quickly.

Simon:  18 for the week is way better than 0!

Docket:  I hope you get your cool weather this weekend!

Zoe:  Sounds like you had a great run with no pain...awesome!

Today was interval day 2 of the Hanson HM plan and I chickened out and went to the gym to do it on the treadmill.  I don't know why running on the track in the dark is bothering me, especially since I run in the dark all the time!  Anyway, I had my first treadmill accident this morning and let me tell you, treadmill rash hurts!  Next week, I am putting on my big girl panties and going to the track!  I was a bit worried about this workout because when I got up, my legs (especially calves) were super tight.  But, after a 1 mile warm-up, I felt great.  I had 8 x 600 M today and I did the first 4 @ 7:19 and the last 4 @ 7:13 (I think I will stick with 7:13 from now on) and although I was ready for it to be over, it was easier than I thought it would be.  Next time, I think I need to run the recoveries a bit faster because I was doing them @ 9:40 so only getting in about 0.2 miles instead of 0.25.  Overall, I did 6.6 miles and it was a good workout!  Hope you all have a great day!

Ball of Fury

Jedi:  You snuck in while I was posting!  Nice interval run... I will also look forward to looking at your plan!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I ended up not doing anything.  Felt so exhausted and sick I decided to just rest.  And today I feel much better.  I hate asthma but I hate how asthma exhausts my body even more.  Bah.  6 and weights tonight.

Forecast was nice yesterday but now it's warming up.  So long as the day is less than 70F I consider that a win.  Of course, yesterday it said it would be long sleeve weather but now it's barely short sleeves (although as jedi knows, I predict people will run in parkas).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Morning guys -

indi - nice job on the 7 miles. I too wish that 8:42 was my recover pace!!

Flinders - nice job getting a run in this morning and enjoy the lunchtime miles Smile

RVDowning - not sure if I missed this but is your hamstring better?

jedi - very nice pace on the intervals!!  I'd have to re-check my plan but I think it's peaking at 65ish.

Amik- nice interval run!  I'm planning to do the strength runs outside but use the indoor track option for days the conditions are bad (too icy, snowy, or super windy).  My marathon is pretty flat but so is my normal outside route Smile

Damaris - glad you are feeling better today. Enjoy the 6.

I have 9 miles with 6x800 at 5k pace on the schedule for tonight.  I think my legs should be recovered enough to do it.

RV:  May I ask how the purchased plan is different than the book plan?

I sent you an email.

RVDowning - not sure if I missed this but is your hamstring better?

I think I'm just about back to normal.  I seem to be sore everywhere, but then I'm not used to having 6 days off.  I resumed the Hanson plan and picked it up as though I had not had that 6 day lapse.  This morning's 2wu+2(3m@1/2MPw1mr)+2cd (12 miles) went ok.

onemile

Awesome. Glad to hear it!

I think I'm just about back to normal.  I seem to be sore everywhere, but then I'm not used to having 6 days off.  I resumed the Hanson plan and picked it up as though I had not had that 6 day lapse.  This mornings 2wu+2(3m@1/2MPw1mr)+2cd (12 miles) went ok.