Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Docket_Rocket

Morning, donuts! 5 recovery miles and weights for me tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Good morning!  I'm more sore than expected from my run last night.  7 miles planned for tonight and they will probably be pretty slow.

mdawg87

Good morning!  Strength training, biking (or should I call it spinning even though it wasn't a spin class???), and stretching at the gym this morning.  3 days until my first attempt at running again!  I'm not counting or anything...

I'm with Docket, I'm going to find a Graston practitioner and give it a try.  We can all hurt together!

Docket:  Question for you...how's the half course at the 1/27 marathon in Miami?  DH and I are toying with coming down to do that.  Of course, it may be sold out.  We haven't checked yet.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Morning!  Easy 12 after work tonight with the headlamp in the dark.  The temperatures are supposed to be close to 30 today, so hopefully that means that with the sun, the paths will clear up a bit more before I have to go out there.

I seem to be coming down with a cold - I got a sore throat right before bed and it lasted until this morning, and now I feel all phlegmy.  Hopefully it stays in my head and I can keep running with it.  My husband seems to think that I should take the day off from running and see if I can get the cold to go away, but I have never in my life managed to ward off an impending cold, no matter what I do, so I figure I'm just going to drink a bunch of water and tea and let it run it's course.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Morning!  Easy 12 after work tonight with the headlamp in the dark.  The temperatures are supposed to be close to 30 today, so hopefully that means that with the sun, the paths will clear up a bit more before I have to go out there.

I seem to be coming down with a cold - I got a sore throat right before bed and it lasted until this morning, and now I feel all phlegmy.  Hopefully it stays in my head and I can keep running with it.  My husband seems to think that I should take the day off from running and see if I can get the cold to go away, but I have never in my life managed to ward off an impending cold, no matter what I do, so I figure I'm just going to drink a bunch of water and tea and let it run it's course.

I ran under the same conditions and have been sitting out for two days. The flu left no stone un-turned in our house. I may try and venture out today.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

It is always sold out but it has not sold out yet.

It's not Florida flat.  You have at least 2 bridges, but other than that, it's OK.  It goes from the American Airlines Arena through the McArthur Causeway, to South Beach and then back to Alton Road and the Convention Center, heading to downtown and then the finish.  The full and the half depart in downtown.  In typical Miami fashion, there is no shade.  Hope to see you there.

Good morning!  Strength training, biking (or should I call it spinning even though it wasn't a spin class???), and stretching at the gym this morning.  3 days until my first attempt at running again!  I'm not counting or anything...

I'm with Docket, I'm going to find a Graston practitioner and give it a try.  We can all hurt together!

Docket:  Question for you...how's the half course at the 1/27 marathon in Miami?  DH and I are toying with coming down to do that.  Of course, it may be sold out.  We haven't checked yet.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

onemile, enjoy your easy run tonight.  What week are you of Hanson?

cmb, hope you don't get sick!

Rollcast, feel better!

I called my doctor and she is going to try to squeeze me in on Tuesday morning.  The swelling has subsided but the itchiness and pain is still there.  I am sure she wants to see the pictures I took of the reaction.  It was up to the size of a plate by the time I took the picture.Surprised

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

cmb- Hope you're feeling better soon.  I see you have the Adrenaline 12s in your AVI.  Have you tried the 13's? They are SO MUCH better.  I hated the 12s but the 13s are the best version ever.

Rollcast - good luck on your run today if you do decide to do it!

Damaris - I'm on week 3 (although I had to skip a couple runs the first week and skip the speedwork the second week because of my calf).  And I added some extra mileage last week to get it up to 50.   So this is the first week I'm actually following the schedule to the letter.  (mostly anyway  Cool).  Hope you are feeling better soon.

cmb4314

I ran under the same conditions and have been sitting out for two days. The flu left no stone un-turned in our house. I may try and venture out today.

Feel better!

I don't *think* I'm getting the flu, though I know it is going around.  All of my symptoms thus far just seem to be sinus based, and I'm pretty positive that my sore throat was just from drainage.

Onemile - I didn't mind the 12s, even though most people hated them.  Got 500+ miles out of my first pair, and just started a second.  I just liked the color of the ones I  that are in my avatar Smile  I would have preferred the 13s rather than getting a new pair of 12S, I think, but I made the mistake of waiting too long to realize that my shoes had 500 miles on them, and I was traveling for Christmas and needed a pair quickly so I didn't have to put 50 more miles on them while I was away, and the LRS didn't have any 13s in my size.  So I figured I'd do okay in the 12s again, particularly considering the price drop.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 4.19 easy today (@ 9:55ish).

Zoe, let us know how Graston went today.

Cmb, careful with running with a cold. Taking a day off is not a bad idea. It's not about warding off the cold, but not exacerbating it by suppressing your immune system, which will be working overtime to fight the cold, with a run. I did that once, and I ended up with shingles, which is miserable.

Onemile, I hope you don't mind, but I checked your Tempo workout on your log. I saw that you did it at 8:30ish pace. I just wanted to say, if you find yourself struggling to recover by your LR day, don't be afraid to slow that down by :10 or more sec.

Sprinkles, I forgot to say it somewhere, but I think you'll do great on Pfitz 18/55.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Onemile - I didn't mind the 12s, even though most people hated them.  Got 500+ miles out of my first pair, and just started a second.  I just liked the color of the ones I  that are in my avatar Smile  I would have preferred the 13s rather than getting a new pair of 12S, I think, but I made the mistake of waiting too long to realize that my shoes had 500 miles on them, and I was traveling for Christmas and needed a pair quickly so I didn't have to put 50 more miles on them while I was away, and the LRS didn't have any 13s in my size.  So I figured I'd do okay in the 12s again, particularly considering the price drop.

When you're ready for a new pair, check out the red ones.

http://www.finishline.com/store/product/womens-brooks-adrenaline-gts-13/_/A-9474?productId=prod712946

I just got these. I hope they come out with more colors!  I hate mostly white shoes.

onemile

Onemile, I hope you don't mind, but I checked your Tempo workout on your log. I saw that you did it at 8:30ish pace. I just wanted to say, if you find yourself struggling to recover by your LR day, don't be afraid to slow that down by :10 or more sec.

That's why my log is open, so ya'll can nose around in it Smile  The MP miles felt easy enough last night but today I do feel pretty beat up.  We'll see how my run goes tonight and the rest of the week.  I'd like to keep them at 8:30 as long as I can handle the rest of my schedule.  Because I'm supposed to do the 10 on Sunday at my LR pace (which is like 9:10 I think on the Hansons chart)...so if I start not being able to hit the paces, I may adjust things.

And nice job on the easy 4ish.

Smashy!!!

That's why my log is open, so ya'll can nose around in it Smile  The MP miles felt easy enough last night but today I do feel pretty beat up.  We'll see how my run goes tonight and the rest of the week.  I'd like to keep them at 8:30 as long as I can handle the rest of my schedule.  Because I'm supposed to do the 10 on Sunday at my LR pace (which is like 9:10 I think on the Hansons chart)...so if I start not being able to hit the paces, I may adjust things.

And nice job on the easy 4ish.

I hope my comment didn't sound like a criticism or lack of faith. Just to be clear, I think you're a fantastic runner. And I am rooting/hoping that 8:30 is your MP.

Chuck Norris Joke of the day: Chuck Norris once came in second in a marathon...that is, until they realized he was on his second lap!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

I hope my comment didn't sound like a criticism or lack of faith. Just to be clear, I think you're a fantastic runner. And I am rooting/hoping that 8:30 is your MP.

Chuck Norris Joke of the day: Chuck Norris once came in second in a marathon...that is, until they realized he was on his second lap!

Not at all. It's a valid point and if I'm being dumb I want people to call me out on it, not say "you can do it!!!"  Joking

I'll see how it goes because the schedule will only get harder.

I don't really expect 8:30 to be my marathon pace.  But I'm sort of hoping I can do a 1:45 HM and if I do that in March, I may shoot for 3:45 at Carmel (which is 8:37 pace I think).  But it's all speculation at this point.  Who knows.

And lol to the Chuck Norris joke Big grin

White Lightning

Morning everyone

onemile - My 13's should be here end of next week.  I have two pairs of 12's i've been rotating one at 350 miles and one at 520 miles.  Excited to see if there is any difference since everyone said brook's screwed up the 12's and the 13's are more like the 11's.

MP Tempo runs and speed work question - How fast should you run your warm-up and cool down laps?  Onemile I noticed you were only running your warmup and cooldown yesterday 30-45 seconds slower, that's why I ask.  I did mine yesterday 90-120 seconds slower

Me - got an easy 5 planned for this afternoon but I feel a bit sore this morning from my run yesterday.  Not my legs, but my entire upper body, like I did a strength training session

Play the Game Hard!