Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Smashy!!!

Re Chuck Norris, I still don't get it. Why Chuck? And why does running a marathon make me tougher than him? Am I missing something here?

Dreamn, I think the screw shoes Onemile is talking about is a home remedy. You get sheet medal screws, and then screw them into an old pair of shoes. You can find an instructional video at Runners World, and probably also YouTube.

Also, welcome Still Bluesky.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Re Chuck Norris, I still don't get it. Why Chuck? And why does running a marathon make me tougher than him? Am I missing something here?

Dreamn, I think the screw shoes Onemile is talking about is a home remedy. You get sheet medal screws, and then screw them into an old pair of shoes. You can find an instructional video at Runners World, and probably also YouTube.

Also, welcome Still Bluesky.

There are a lot of Chuck Norris tough guy type jokes. He is known for being like the toughest ever.  So the sign is supposed to tell you that you are tougher than the toughest ever Big grin

And yes, Dreamn - here's the website:  http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm  They really work better than YakTrax. I've tried both.

White Lightning

Onemile - I have been for the last three weeks, maybe its catching up to me.  Supposed to be 30-36 F for the next 2 weeks so I'll be outside as much as I can

Play the Game Hard!

DetroitTigerFan

I agree with one mile - Chuck Norris is the toughest and coolest guy ever. Do not mess with him !!!!

Just remember - Chuck doesn't do push ups....he pushes the world down !   Come on-  let's hear your fav facts !! Smile

Cbus - 6 years ago there was a Chuck Norris fad where huge fans of his came up with funny jokes on a website to show his toughness. Here are some links to help and enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA_hMq-JUOE

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/chuck-norris-top-50-facts

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Chuck is the Dos Equis guy of martial arts. One time Chuck thought he was wrong but it turned out that he was just mistaken.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Chuck Norris cannot be that tough if he has not run a marathon.  Just sayin'....

7 awesome miles and heavy weights done.  After the asthma attack and subsequent exhaustion, these miles were easy, fast, and all.  One of those runs that remind you why you keep doing it when it sucks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

nachosgrande

docket - sorry to hear the asthma bit you again

Rain today so i skipped the running and went shoe shopping.  tried on a ton of shoes and ended up walking out with a pair of pure connects.  They fit my narrow foot like a glove.  Cant wait to take them for a spin in the morning.

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Sorry I have been MIA for a couple days...we went to in-laws for Christmas Saturday and then my mom's yesterday.  I did read the last few pages but catching up on all the personals is just too much for my lazy self at the moment.  Saturday was a SRD and I ate a zillion cookies...end of story.  Yesterday, DH and I went for our 13 miler on the Monon Trail in Indianapolis, which was fairly clear from snow but icy in many spots.  I was having a great run and running on the ice was actually kinda fun....something to concentrate on other than running.  Anyway, at around mile 6, my ITB started aching a little bit, but nothing terrible.  At mile 7, I developed the most horrible pain in the ankle on that side...it felt like there was a rubber band around my ankle, right were it meets my shoe, and that is was just squeezing and squeezing.  I would stop, it would go away, I would run again for about 1/4-1/2 mile, and then the pain would get so bad I would almost fall!  What in the world is up with that??  Have never felt anything like it before.  I made it back to the car, for a total of 9.3 miles with an average of 9:50/mile, so not terrible.  Last night, I iced my ankle and today it feels fine.  Anyone ever felt anything like that?  At first, I thought it was maybe a shoe/sock/tight problem on that side, because that's what it felt like but it wasn't.  At this point, I just want this damn marathon to be over....very frustrated!!  Anyway, sorry for my damn whining....have a great day all!  I shall be celebrating NYE with a 24 hour shift full of women trying to give birth before midnight so they get an extra tax deduction Big grin

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Ball of Fury

docket - sorry to hear the asthma bit you again

Rain today so i skipped the running and went shoe shopping.  tried on a ton of shoes and ended up walking out with a pair of pure connects.  They fit my narrow foot like a glove.  Cant wait to take them for a spin in the morning.

Hope you like the connects....I LOVE my Pure Flows!

Smashy!!!

Chuck Norris can't be all that tough--Bruce Lee kicked his ass in "Return of the Dragon." Now if that sign read, "BRUCE LEE never ran a marathon," then I'd find that inspiring. But now I get it: it's one of those ironic type cultural jokes. Thanks for those links DTF.

Ami, we're you wearing tights? I find when I wear tights, and I'm not careful, they can be too tight around the ankle area and result in pain like the type you described. Many times it feels like AT. As a result, I never zip them all the way down. But I'm more concerned about your ITBS. it's not too late to look into Graston (I'm being totally, Chuck Norris, serious), although time is running out for that. Otherwise, I hope you're on that foam roller two or more times a day.

Nachos, a huge win over Miizzou for the BB team. Hope we keep it up in conference play.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

I was wearing tights and I loosed them because that's what I thought at first, but it didn't help.  I am foam rolling twice a day...good lord that thing hurts!  I have been trying to get into DH's chiro but it is so crazy at work I haven't been able to get an appointment I could actually make it to.  I think I am off Wednesday (depends on our schedule) and if so, I am definitely going to go....I wasn't sure how much it would help at this late date though.

mdawg87

Good morning Donuts!  Crazy start for the mdawgs today.  Got up and headed to the gym only to discover they don't open until 8am due to it being NYE.  Go back to bed and get awakened by a knock on the door around 6 am from the police.  Apparently, someone with a cell phone near our house called 911 and they were trying to find this person.  Drama early in the morning for sure.  I'm glad to be in the office where things are more calm...but I'm irritated I missed my workout.

AmiK:  Good luck with that shift.  Hope you find what caused the pain.  Did you roll your ankle by chance?  Or...maybe it just got sore from compensating for the icy footing?

cbus:  Yeah, the Chuck Norris thing is kinda cheesy, but funny.

Josh:  I'd run every day it was warm enough if I were you.  Spring is quite a long time away.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

REST!  And I wonder whether the Pure Flows had something to do with the ITB. When I used to run in the Pure Cadence, my IT was always sore.

Hope you like the connects....I LOVE my Pure Flows!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

At least you know if you're in trouble, they would come.  Ouch.

Good morning Donuts!  Crazy start for the mdawgs today.  Got up and headed to the gym only to discover they don't open until 8am due to it being NYE.  Go back to bed and get awakened by a knock on the door around 6 am from the police.  Apparently, someone with a cell phone near our house called 911 and they were trying to find this person.  Drama early in the morning for sure.  I'm glad to be in the office where things are more calm...but I'm irritated I missed my workout.

AmiK:  Good luck with that shift.  Hope you find what caused the pain.  Did you roll your ankle by chance?  Or...maybe it just got sore from compensating for the icy footing?

cbus:  Yeah, the Chuck Norris thing is kinda cheesy, but funny.

Josh:  I'd run every day it was warm enough if I were you.  Spring is quite a long time away.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I ended my year at about 865 miles, second lowest total ever,  but at least December was a good month.

13.5 miles yesterday around 9:30 pace, main roads clear but sideroads covered with packed snow.

Nachos I also like the Pure Connect- almost bought a pair yesterday but chose the New Balance Minimus as I wanted something really light for running intervals and 5k races. I am not used to no padding and no drop so will take it very easy. They are INCREDIBLY light and comfortable, but may not be durable for a somewhat heavier runner like me, we will see.

Docket, I don't know if your asthma is partially exercise induced, my wife has problems with cold weather, any exertion in cold air and she must use her puffer. No long term solution I guess. Glad to hear you had a good run.

Sprinkles, Ami and Indi, take care of yourselves!

Josh, that looks like a wonderful course, (Banff I mean), we certainly don't get that kind of scenery in Ontario- or your winters!

I spoke to my daughter over the holiday break, she lives in Zimbabwe in Africa, on a 130,000 acre game reserve. She said the temperature was 110 degrees F and the swimming pool as warm as pee. She used to be a top level cyclist but now does a bit of running in the gym, both the heat and leopards and lions make it unwise to run outside. Quite a different way of life!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.