Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Josh - A 1500 calorie deficit would leave anyone ravenous!  I think that's where I am at though too- I don't really count calories and pretty much eat when I am hungry or my body is asking for food without a specific calorie goal in mind.  I just generally think I come out to around 1500/day although on days where I run I'll have some Gu or some protein powder or extra oatmeal and then probably a slightly higher amount of calories all day...so probably more.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

I am not THAT cold.

I seriously recommend a balaclava in those temps. Maybe even two! Joking

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

My dad was shot at last night and they crashed his car too.  Fortunately, he is alive.  Unfortunately, this is not atypical in Puerto Rico.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

My dad was shot at last night and they crashed his car too.  Fortunately, he is alive.  Unfortunately, this is not atypical in Puerto Rico.

Oh no! Hope he's okay! Does he live there or just visiting?

cmb - get well soon.

everyone else, hope you have decent weather and happy runs!

Today was my rest day. I worked all day instead. Tomorrow I have 21 miles and its supposed to be in the teens and snowing. Yuck!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 6 easy today @ 9:44ish. Not as sucky as yesterday, but still sucky. Tomorrows a 10 mi LR.

Onemile, I agree. The run after the Tempo is the worse.

Docket, crazy about your dad. Hope he's okay.

Sprink, get well soon!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

cmb - hope you get well soon !

jedi - pretty cool how you have the warm up / cool down graphed.   I'm assuming you need to start and stop your GPS at those phases to mark it properly. One similar question I have is with intervals. Let's say you're on a track doing 1 loop fast and 1 loop recovery and you repeat 8 times. I think the graphs on this site would average out the entire workout?   I guess you'd have to look at the detailed workout to see true performance for the speed portion if you mark your gps at each interval.

docket - i thought 70 degrees and high humidity was terrible, but 84 and no shade is pretty bad too. Here I am complaining about 20 degrees and dry.  what's interesting - i know asthma is different, but i ran into someone recently who actually had alergies to cold weather. I didn't even know that was possible, but i guess it exists

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

DTF, most asthmatics are also "allergic" to cold weather.  I still blame all the shit in our environment, as the % of people getting sick with asthma and other respiratory illnesses is higher now.

Thanks, guys.  This happened in PR which is usual.  One of the many reasons I left.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Docket:  Glad to hear you dad is ok...very scary!  Good luck today!

Morning donuts!  URD for me...boo hoo!  I was going to try for an easy 5-6 this morning but my hip and knee hurt quite a bit just walking so I decided it was best to skip it!  I am so over this whole thing!  On a positive note, my DD had her birthday party at her gym (as in gymnastics) yesterday and we got to play around.  I was able to do a few round-off backhandsprings and some other tumbling I haven't even tried in 10-12 years!  I was impressed with myself...lol!  They have an adult gymnastics class on Monday nights that I am seriously thinking of trying...just need to work on my flexibility!  Hope you all have a fantastic day and enjoy your runs!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Thanks for the encouragement guys.  I think I really just need to hang on for a few more weeks til it warms up and the snow melts so I can use my trail again.

indi - nice recovery miles

Flinders - nice job on the 13

Sprinkles - moving around the schedule makes sense. looks good to me.

Josh - wow that sounds like some nightmare!  Nice recovery run.

Docket - wow that's scary about your dad!  GL on the marathon today!

Banshee - Good luck on the 21.

Cbus - That's pretty much how my runs go.  Friday = sucky, Saturday = not as sucky and by Sunday (just in time), I'm ready for the moderate paced LR.

Amik - Sorry the hip and knee are acting up.  The gymnastics sounds cool!

15 at Hansons LR pace for me today.

Smashy!!!

Good morning donuts!

Got 10 on tap today.

Ami, I feel your pain. Your ITBS sounds like mine. I was able to battle through it a while, and then it won in the end. The bright side is Graston will fix it.

Mdawg, did you get your Riders on Sat.?

Onemile, hope you don't mind, but I lurked on your log and checked on your Tempo paces. It looks like you're doing them at 8:25ish. Is that your new goal? I thought you were going for 8:30-8:35.

onemile

Oh aren't you nosy!  Joking Big grin

Onemile, hope you don't mind, but I lurked on your log and checked on your Tempo paces. It looks like you're doing them at 8:25ish. Is that your new goal? I thought you were going for 8:30-8:35.

I AM going for 8:30-8:35. I don't know why but I have a hard time running at that pace. It always seems like I can go faster or slower.  It seems like 8:25-8:28 is where it ends up (or 8:50 but then I am like oh shit, I need to speed up!).  But yeah. That's not good. I just seem to have a hard time getting into the 8:30-8:35 groove. I figured it was close enough.  ???

Smashy!!!

Oh aren't you nosy!  Joking Big grin

I AM going for 8:30-8:35. I don't know why but I have a hard time running at that pace. It always seems like I can go faster or slower.  It seems like 8:25-8:28 is where it ends up (or 8:50 but then I am like oh shit, I need to speed up!).  But yeah. That's not good. I just seem to have a hard time getting into the 8:30-8:35 groove. I figured it was close enough.  ???

Get on pace. No excuses. Just do it. Seriously, though, a 3:45 goal is good for a 8:35 pace. That means in some cases you are basically doing Strength workouts on Tempo days. I think at this point slower is better than faster (not 8:50, but say 8:37). Maybe you can practice easing into your pace, instead of freaking out and going too fast. There is a chance in the race you'll be slower than your pace due to crowds, and unless you practice easing into pace, you'll freak out, go too fast, and then fade in the end. Whatever you do, remember the whole purpose is to learn your goal pace. So just do it!

onemile

Get on pace. No excuses. Just do it. Seriously, though, a 3:45 goal is good for a 8:35 pace. That means in some cases you are basically doing Strength workouts on Tempo days. I think at this point slower is better than faster (not 8:50, but say 8:37). Maybe you can practice easing into your pace, instead of freaking out and going too fast. There is a chance in the race you'll be slower than your pace due to crowds, and unless you practice easing into pace, you'll freak out, go too fast, and then fade in the end. Whatever you do, remember the whole purpose is to learn your goal pace. So just do it!

Yep, freaking out and going too fast is definitely how it works.  I relax and my pace drops and then I check my watch and I'm like oh no...SPEED UP!  ugh.  And I like to be safely under that 8:35 mark.  But then it ends up 8:25.  Oops.  But yes, you are right.

Carmel is pretty small and shouldn't be crowded and they should have pace groups but yeah.  I do need to reign it in a bit.  I will work on it.  Practicing MP doesn't really work if I'm running them too fast.

mdawg87

It's been a good weekend in the mdawg house...

DH ran 1:42:26 in his HM yesterday.  Super proud of him!  This race is the hilliest either one of us has ever done.  It's on a parkway with loooonnnggg hills that sap your energy.  He went out conservatively and had some left in the tank at the end.  If he'd known how fit he was, he would've had a sub 1:40.  However, he did the right thing coming back from plantar facitis and not having run a hilly race like that  in over a year.

Ran in the new Wave Riders today.  Got in 6.5 easy TM miles at the gym with no pain!  My calf tightened up a little about half way through but I just relaxed and concentrated on my form and it eased off.  Definitely like the new kicks.  I could tell a difference in that my feet seemed to be more underneath me vs. out front clawing at the ground.

docket:  so glad your Dad is okay!  

Cmb:  continued healing vibes sent your way.

amik:  could the gymnastics you did be the cause of yor soreness maybe?

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Congrats to your DH...super speedy!! Also glad you were able to run!  I wish the gymnastics was the cause but it's the ITBS...damn thing!  Hopefully, the PT appt/Graston will help!

It's been a good weekend in the mdawg house...

DH ran 1:42:26 in his HM yesterday.  Super proud of him!  This race is the hilliest either one of us has ever done.  It's on a parkway with loooonnnggg hills that sap your energy.  He went out conservatively and had some left in the tank at the end.  If he'd known how fit he was, he would've had a sub 1:40.  However, he did the right thing coming back from plantar facitis and not having run a hilly race like that  in over a year.

Ran in the new Wave Riders today.  Got in 6.5 easy TM miles at the gym with no pain!  My calf tightened up a little about half way through but I just relaxed and concentrated on my form and it eased off.  Definitely like the new kicks.  I could tell a difference in that my feet seemed to be more underneath me vs. out front clawing at the ground.

docket:  so glad your Dad is okay!  

Cmb:  continued healing vibes sent your way.

amik:  could the gymnastics you did be the cause of yor soreness maybe?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15