Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Smashy!!!

Cbus, feel better!  And I agree (I put a number more as an example).  I think a basenof longer duration might even be better than an increase in base prior to a plan that is shorter.  We all have limits and the important thing is to decide on a plan (if using one) but to amend if it is needed.

onemile,  Trixie might be home today.  Waiting for confirmation.  I already took tomorrow off.

Docket, I know what you meant. The point I was trying to add was that "too much, too soon" applies over the long term as much as it does over the short term. What I mean is that when I hear people say "too much, too soon," usually they are talking about increasing their miles too much from one week to the next. But I think it's possible to do too much too soon from one year to the next. At least that was true in my case.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Yikes...how did I get so far behind?  Let's see, yesterday, I did 5 on the TM (couldn't stick with it enough for 7..lol!), interspersed with some strength training.  Today was strength run #3 and yowzer, it was tough!!  I knew I was in for a treat when my warm-up miles felt hard!  Anyway, I managed the 3 x 2 miles @ 7:47, 7:48, and 7:47 paces with 800M recoveries.  Total mileage was right at 10.  I am a bit concerned about how hard this workout felt, but am hoping it's because it comes after 6 days of running, 3 of which were double digits!   Thankfully, tomorrow is a rest day.

Plan discussion:  I really am too much of a beginner to contribute either way and I am sure that like the rest of you, I built up my mileage too fast!  I have been running for about 18 months but never kept a log until this year, so I really have zero idea how much I was running...not more than 25-30 mpw when I started marathon training.

CBus:  Ugh...hope you feel better!

Onemile:  Yes, I did pick the correct Jennifer!  I still think you did an awesome job, especially with zero taper and the weather conditions.  Good luck with your strength run tonight!

Josh:  You have come a long way very quickly!  Good luck with your 8 miles.

Docket:  I am glad your kittie is better!

MDawg:  Nice 7 on the TM...your recovery seems to be going really well!

Sprinkles:  I am sorry you are still having calf troubles...good luck with your run!

Cmb:  Good luck at the doctor!

Roll:  Nice running!!

Indy:  Welcome back and hope you are enjoying your time in Florida!

Ap4:  Good advice regarding training and building mileage!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Then, I would go with your intuition, and replace the intervals with easy miles.

True story- I never do the strides in Pfitz...for a reason.  They knock my legs out!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Very true, Cbus.

vet has not called but still hoping to get my girl back today.

Just done with my allergy shot.  Hoping tonight's run does not go down the drain!  I needed it and lost two weeks of them while on vacation and sick.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Nice strength run Amik!  I know what you mean about when the warm up miles feel tough you know it's just going to be misery. But you got it done!  I'm glad I get to do my 3x2 miles tonight at 8:20 instead! I would die trying to hit 7:47.

Sprinkles - I hate strides too and have been guilty of skipping them.

Damaris - good luck tonight

cmb4314

Josh - I agree that if you are worried, then skip the intervals.  I don't know how much it's correlated to the intervals, and how much it's correlated to just being far along in the program, but the problems with my IT band kicked in the day after an interval session, which was three days after I did the 18 w/14@MP.  I actually felt quite good for those intervals, but I think that the stress from too much fast running in too short a period was the straw that broke the camel's back for the IT band.

Whoa.  I just looked back at my last marathon cycle when my IT band also started complaining at the very end of the cycle - and it started hurting after I did 3x1mile at tempo pace (so not quite intervals, but fast)....four days after I ran a 25k race at MP.   That's so eerily similar to this time around - my IT band must need a lot of time to recover between fast efforts.

I am also guilty of skipping strides in Pfitz runs, not intentionally, but because I often forget to do them, particularly on treadmill runs when I just space out totally.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Ball of Fury

Nice strength run Amik!  I know what you mean about when the warm up miles feel tough you know it's just going to be misery. But you got it done!  I'm glad I get to do my 3x2 miles tonight at 8:20 instead! I would die trying to hit 7:47.

Sprinkles - I hate strides too and have been guilty of skipping them.

Damaris - good luck tonight

Thanks One!  I did think I might die a couple times but managed to keep my heart going...scared for next week though!!  Good luck tonight!

onemile

I actually liked the 2x3 better because the 2 sets seemed less daunting than 3 somehow.

Thanks One!  I did think I might die a couple times but managed to keep my heart going...scared for next week though!!  Good luck tonight!

White Lightning

Cmb - My ITB is tender at the top in my hip after the race.  Think it would be disastrous if I tried my intervals tomorrow.  I do have PT tomorrow and she always seems to work her magic but even still, not worth the chance.

I've missed strides for the first 9 weeks except for the first ones, always forgot.

8 recovery miles at 10:29.  Started slow and real stiff but felt much better by the end so confidence is a bit higher.  Weird that 8 didn't feel like a long enough run?  Sunny and a bit chilly but warm enough for shorts.  60's by the weekend Smile

Play the Game Hard!

Ball of Fury

I actually liked the 2x3 better because the 2 sets seemed less daunting than 3 somehow.

That shall be the way I look at it then!  Thanks!

onemile

That shall be the way I look at it then!  Thanks!

Yes because you do the first one (which sucks) and then you're all ready to do the last one Smile

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Pain free pathetic recovery run tonight  - 5 miles @ 10:03 pace, on the Woodway treadmill (the kind that boasts low impact).  Did light stretching and icing afterwards. I think its time to bid Mr. Pfitz good bye and stick to Higdon Intermediate 1 until the end of this marathon cycle.  I think I need to build to 40s before I try Pfitz again- and I'm in the 40s now, but I've missed too many weeks to call it a 40 mile base.  I'll see about upgrading my plan for the NYC Marathon, when I'll be training in more daylight hours.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

My run started with my 6 yr old, 7 yr old and my 9 yr old. The 6 yr old lasted about a half mile, luckily by the house so we dropped him off and the other two lasted two miles before the loop ended up near our house again so they parted ways and I continued for 6 more. The first two were obviously slow, the last 6 were at a normal (for me) pace. I am new to running with my children, I must admit it is a blessing.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

My 11 with 3x2 miles actually felt pretty decent last night.  SRD today.

Sprinkles - you've done really well on lower mileage so I don't think that's a bad call at all!

Rollcast - very cool that your kids are taking an interest in running!

mdawg87

Good morning!  SRD for me.  Travel news for the mdawgs.  We're going to Aruba in mid-September!  That's the way to close out summer for sure!  The only carribbean island we've been to is Puerto Rico so I'm excited to visit somewhere new.  If I do a fall marathon, that'll be right in the heart of training, but I'm sure I can swing it.  Lots of running areas at the resort.

Sprinkles:  "Pain Free" is the key phrase in your comment.  Glad to hear that.  +1 on it being a good call to step back from Pfitz at this time.  Wish I'd had enough sense to do that last year!  Oh well, live and learn.

onemile:  '"Yes because you do the first one (which sucks) and then you're all ready to do the last one" My thoughts exactly!  I much prefer two long intervals vs. three or more shorter ones.

roll:  Nice run with and without the kiddos.  Sounds like more "awesomeness" to me.  Smile

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)