Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I don't know what I am doing awake since I cannot start a run at this hour no matter if the weather is 60F.  10 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Look what happens..miss a couple days and there is so much to catch up on!  Great discussion on GMP, etc...I don't have much to contribute since I am definitely a novice and not great at pacing myself.  I will say that blowing up in a race is overrated!  If you have never done it, it's hard to describe the feeling of going from feeling fantastic both mentally and physically, to thinking you cannot run another step in mere minutes...NOT FUN.  Having said that, I totally understand wanting to challenge yourself and see how far you can push.  If you are willing to take the chance, then I say go for it!

I have not had a good last couple of weeks, between recovering from the marathon and vacation, this respiratory thing (which has turned into a full blown sinus infection), and my Aunt's death, I have only run a couple times and done a couple Insanity workouts.  I feel fat, lazy, and just generally unhealthy.  So, since tomorrow is the start of our Hanson HM program, it could get pretty ugly this week!  But, I am going to make a new commitment to training and eating well, and hopefully, my fitness will return quickly.  Today is a SRD (although I am not sure what I am resting from) and I have a 24 hour shift to do, so hopefully, I will get some rest in prep for tomorrows 6 mile "long run."  Have a great day Donuts!  Good luck with all the cold long runs....it is snowing again here and gonna be cold for a couple more days...then warm up to the 30s and 40s...yay!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

akalei

Morning, donuts! I'm giving pilates a try for the first time this morning... trying to decide whether I want to run 5 on the TM before, wait until after and see how I feel, or just write it off altogether since I have 14 tomorrow.  Hmmm...

Banshee: Bless you and your committment.  When it was bitter cold here last week, I went outside in (basically all UA--I'm a creature of habit, what can I say?) a HeatGear long sleeve first (moisture wicking, like Josh said), topped with coldgear turtleneck and jacket.  On the bottom, I wore tights and UA yoga-type pants on top of the tights, plus knee-high UA ski socks.  Headband AND hat.  3 pairs of gloves--not mittens--and my hands were throbbing 3 miles in.  So Josh (at least I think it was Josh who said it--it's on the last page now so I can't confirm) was onto something with the mittens.  Good luck!

Ami: I know the feelings you're going through right now.  If you're like me, there's no convincing you otherwise, but I can assure you you're not doing as badly as you think!  And you'll get it right back!

Docket: Thanks for rubbing your warm weather in. Joking

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Smashy!!!

Ami, I hope things turn around for you. Hang in there. The first few weeks of the Hansons plan are base building. Just do a bunch of easy miles, and things will come back to you.

Banshee, maybe I'm an anomaly, but I'd rather be under dressed than over dressed because running produces so much heat by itself, for me. Pitt and Cbus have similar conditions. And when it gets really cold here, I wear my Nike Thermal shirt and Nike Shield jacket. With those two layers, I'm never cold. On quality days, and I'm sure it'll be really cold, like single digits and teens, then I go with my Mizuno Breath Thermo shirt instead of the Nike Thermal. I like the Mizuno because it's thinner while just as warm, but it's a mock turtle neck instead of a half zip, so I have to be sure it's going to be cold because I won't be able to unzip. On quality days with temps in the 20s and above, I wear my Nike half zip, which is thinner and not brushed--I think it's called Element half zip or something like that. I've got a pair of Nike Thermal tights for the cold days, and I wear my regular tights on quality days, unless it's really cold, and then I'll go with the Thermal tights. As far as hands, I've got Mizuno Breath Thermo gloves, and those are warm enough. If its really cold, the Nike jacket has got those long sleeves that go over the hands, and so I'll just pull them over and the hands are good. The only thing I've added now is the balaclava. The only quality workout I've used it on is my LR, and it was great. I think on temps lower than 20, I'll go with the balaclava, regardless of quality. As far as feet, I just wear normal running socks. After a few miles, my feet warm up enough. I've worn three layers only once, a few years ago, and it was so uncomfortable that I swore I'd never do it again. I find there are enough cold weather shirts and jackets that i can get down to two layers.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Thanks for the advice all. I'm a heat-lover so any kind of cold really slows me down. I had no problem setting a 50M PR in the middle of August this past summer. Yet I wasn't much faster in single digit temps with wind last night even though I was wearing what most would consider 'enough'. I'm going to have to carefully study my gear tonight and choose some extras to keep in the car. I'm thinking I'll add capris under my tights and pack wind pants plus ditch the jacket and put a UA hoodie on top instead. Then I will see if I have some mittens to layer over my gloves. If not I will double layer gloves. I guess I better go do our running laundry so I have a full wardrobe to pick from! Shocked

have a good one Donuts! I'm going to enjoy my SRD and hang out with my kids.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Come down here and you'll change your mind.  I am worried about my 50K in MARCH that will be in the 80-90s.  Shadeless.

Thanks for the advice all. I'm a heat-lover so any kind of cold really slows me down. I had no problem setting a 50M PR in the middle of August this past summer. Yet I wasn't much faster in single digit temps with wind last night even though I was wearing what most would consider 'enough'. I'm going to have to carefully study my gear tonight and choose some extras to keep in the car. I'm thinking I'll add capris under my tights and pack wind pants plus ditch the jacket and put a UA hoodie on top instead. Then I will see if I have some mittens to layer over my gloves. If not I will double layer gloves. I guess I better go do our running laundry so I have a full wardrobe to pick from! Shocked

have a good one Donuts! I'm going to enjoy my SRD and hang out with my kids.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

AmiK, wishing you a speedy recovery.

akalei, enjoy pilates.  Don't worry.  Expect a lot of bitching about the weather from me starting next month and until December.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

nachosgrande

Wow...took the goruns out on the road this morning and I love this shoe!  Really flexible and great road feedback.I already like these better than the pureconnects.  More minimal and with a nice roomy forefoot.  I could see myself running a HM in these.  I will be picking up a few more of these on amazon at $27.

Ran 5@8:27 with some strides.  10 slow easy miles on tap for tomorrow.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 6 easy @ 9:40ish. Tempos were in the teens, so I wore the balaclava. It was awesome.

Jedi, that Hansons 5k plan sounds tough! Have you run in the Ronin yet?

Nachos, glad you liked the GoRuns. It sounds like you're having a lot of success with less shoe.

Onemile, there are some things I should disclose about my marathon that might give YOU more confidence about your goal. There were a number of circumstances that probably contributed to my terrible time. First, I was pretty dead legged going into the race. In retrospect, I was probably a touch overtrained. Then, i was sick, and had a terrible cough during the race (ie phlegm, etc.). Then I walked a ton the day before between the airport, expo, and getting lost on my way to my motel. Then there was the motel, which was far away from any food, except Chipotle , and so my carbo loading consisted of a burrito. The motel also didn't have breakfast, so i had to run down to a gas station and buy some foods stuff (ie donuts!). I don't like to mention this stuff because it always sounds to me like I'm making excuses. But there was something definitely wrong on race day because the wheels were already coming off at mile 13, and I'd run faster HMs with less effort. I mention it now because I think my meltdown is not typical of overestimating one's fitness. So even though I'm still cautious and conservative when it comes to marathons, I don't think you should expect the type of meltdown I had even if 8:30 is a touch aggressive. So now when you hear me naysaying and doubting, just couch it in that experience with those circumstances, and that might give you the context from which my comments are coming.

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I am moving my long run tomorrow- got up late, and I have a 4 mile race tomorrow that will set my corral for the NYC Marathon.  This way I can run FAST.  If I do 14 today I'm just going to be deadlegs later.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

I am late getting in on the pacing discussion but found it very interesting, and helpful.

I have not yet run my first marathon, so the pace question is vital to me, I am planning for October and already feel behind schedule.

I did not start running until the age of 56 and do not expect to get faster now that I am in my 60's, so going for a lifetime PB.

Races done in the middle of training can help determine goal pace, but if you do not taper and run on tired legs this may lead to a conservative goal. If you do taper, of course, you may lose part of the training plan, though likely not enough to matter much.

The mentality and goals of the runner also come into play- although not a competitive person in everyday life I get into racer mode when I hear the starting horn, and tend to go for broke, pushing myself really hard. (Last year was an exception, I ran cautiously both races.)This is a high risk strategy but I have generally had better times than my training would have suggested. I did give myself a serious scare three years ago in a half marathon when I started losing my peripheral vision two miles from the end, but no harm done.

Not having the experience of others here I will not offer advice, but enjoyed reading and thinking over the comments by Cbus, Indi, Docket, Braycon, Flinders, Cmb and others.

In cold weather I wear tights under fleece warmup pants and two pairs of gloves. Like Josh, layers on top with nylon jacket if it's windy. Sometimes wish I had ski goggles to stop snow/ice crystal getting in my eyes from passing cars or wind.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

I don't see those as excuses, but reasons.  We always need to find a reason so that we can improve and change what we did last time.  It might also not have been your day.  We all have those (I sure have had horrible marathons too and I'm like WTF).

Hey all,

Got in 6 easy @ 9:40ish. Tempos were in the teens, so I wore the balaclava. It was awesome.

Jedi, that Hansons 5k plan sounds tough! Have you run in the Ronin yet?

Nachos, glad you liked the GoRuns. It sounds like you're having a lot of success with less shoe.

Onemile, there are some things I should disclose about my marathon that might give YOU more confidence about your goal. There were a number of circumstances that probably contributed to my terrible time. First, I was pretty dead legged going into the race. In retrospect, I was probably a touch overtrained. Then, i was sick, and had a terrible cough during the race (ie phlegm, etc.). Then I walked a ton the day before between the airport, expo, and getting lost on my way to my motel. Then there was the motel, which was far away from any food, except Chipotle , and so my carbo loading consisted of a burrito. The motel also didn't have breakfast, so i had to run down to a gas station and buy some foods stuff (ie donuts!). I don't like to mention this stuff because it always sounds to me like I'm making excuses. But there was something definitely wrong on race day because the wheels were already coming off at mile 13, and I'd run faster HMs with less effort. I mention it now because I think my meltdown is not typical of overestimating one's fitness. So even though I'm still cautious and conservative when it comes to marathons, I don't think you should expect the type of meltdown I had even if 8:30 is a touch aggressive. So now when you hear me naysaying and doubting, just couch it in that experience with those circumstances, and that might give you the context from which my comments are coming.

Happy running all!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

nachos, picture of said shoes, please!  You know the rules.

Sprinkles, good luck on the 4 miler tomorrow.  Give 'em hell!

Simon, morning!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Docket: Thanks!  This will be the first time I comply with the Pfitz "Long run Sunday" plan- usually I run long on Saturday but I think I needed the sleep.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

White Lightning

All this cold running talk and i'm sitting here with a high of 43F today, suns shining, snows melting, could it be over..........

Nacho's - I love that shoe but can't wear it running.  Its my summer shoe when I need something more than sandals

Play the Game Hard!