Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Rusk Runner

josh - swallow your pride and go get a pedicure.  I will make a deal with you.  You go, I go.  This is more frightening than graston to me.  But dude, if you are peeling your feet, you are better off getting the pedicure.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I slept in because I'm working from home today.  Still, I feel so tired.  Maybe I slept too much?

I have a scheduled 10 miler tonight, but we'll see how I feel.  I am so blah this week I wonder where is my mojo.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! 9.25m for me this morning w/40min tempo @7:13 avg pace on the TM. Ran to and from gym for warm-up and cooldown with it snowing this am. All my quality done for week, so I can take it easy the rest of the week.

What's up with all this pedicure talk?Smile lol

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

OMG you guys are hard core.  Shocked

josh - swallow your pride and go get a pedicure.  I will make a deal with you.  You go, I go.  This is more frightening than graston to me.  But dide, if you are peeling your feet, you are better off getting the pedicure.

13 miles for me tonight with 7 at GMP.

Rusk Runner

I have come in from a 20 mile run with frozen water bottles and icicles hanging off of my moustache and beard.  If I get a pedicure, I am comfortable it is not because I am light in the loafers Big grin.

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

There is a rule here.  If you get a pedicure, you must provide pictures to prove it.

Now I have a migraine, sigh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Good morning!  3 more TM miles this morning.  Almost no pain or stiffness.  It was barely noticeable!  Hoping today is my last sports doc appointment and that he releases me to begin ramping up mileage and increase the pace.

Josh:  +1 on Indy's pedicure advice, but with a caveat.  One pedicure option is callous removal.  Make sure you don't lose all the callouses that protect you in blister prone areas...if that is an issue.  It isn't for me, but I know some women who struggle with blisters.

Indy:  Yep, when you run hills all the time, it just becomes normal.  It really helps out in flat races.  They feel so much easier.

Oh and to tack on to Docket's picture request....the photo needs to be taken in the pedicure chair.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

bagopux

Dog story, in light of the discussion a couple of weeks ago.  I was at the tail end (pun intended) of a 5.5 miler this morning.  Turned onto my block, which is about 3 car lengths wide.  I was near one curb and a man with two medium-large collie mixes (the lassie types) was on the other.  The dogs were on leads.  The man was facing away from the street.  For no reason, one of the dogs launches at me, barking.  Takes about second before he's tangled in my legs and trying to bite my leg.  I swerve away and the man pulls the dog back.  I have a tooth-shaped hole in my pants and felt the teeth on my leg.

I said, in a none-too-pleased tone of voice, "Keep your dogs under control."
                  Response: "I didn't see you coming."

"Well, you need to pay attention when when you're out with your dogs."

"He didn't bite you."

"He got tangled in my legs and bit at my pants."

"But he didn't bite you."

(By the way, this is the G-rated version of an R-rated, um, "discussion.")

Several take-aways here:

1.  Just because your dog is on a lead doesn't mean he's under control.  These dogs clearly were not.

2. Just because your dog is not a known aggressive breed doesn't mean that you don't need to be vigilant, especially if its a large dog that can do some damage.  These were very pretty and peaceful looking animals but a half inch difference and I'd be in the urgent care right now getting a tetanus shot.

3. This is the most important lesson:  If your dog attacks someone (and this was an attack), OWN IT!  Don't make excuses like, "I didn't know you were there" or "He didn't bite you."  The fact was, I was there whether he knew it or not and the fact that the dog didn't bite me was just by luck as much as anything else.  The dog was absolutely trying to bite me!

I'll get off my soapbox now.

By the way, 8 x 40 sec @ 1k-3k pace on hills with 30 sec. recoveries.  Rough stuff.  Followed by some ruff stuff!  HAHA! Roll eyes

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts.  Just a quick pop to let you all know my aunt passed away and I am driving to Arkansas today for the service.  I will probably not be around until next week.  I did pack running clothes but I am not sure what I will be able to do.  Would like to run at least once or twice because I didn't run yesterday with the long shift, cold, and then the bad news.  Wish you all luck with your training the rest of the week.

Braycon:  I have run the Mini and will be running it again this year.  It is a nice flat course with tons of entertainment.  It can be a bit crowded but if you are seeded or preferred, it's not too bad.  Other midwest HMs I have heard good things about are the Derby 1/2 in Louisville (In April I believe) and of course the Flying Pig, which is a great course but fairly hilly.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Trail Monster

Bago - did you get the owners name or some type of ID? Did you report it? The next time he's 'not paying attention' it could be a child that runs by and isn't so lucky! I would also have asked for reimbursement for the ripped pants!

Josh - do you immediately remove your socks and shoes after running or work or anything? If you aren't airing them out properly the trapped moisture and stuff can lead to jungle rot. I had it when I was in boot camp and it led to peeling feet like you are describing. The only thing that helped was wearing sandals or going barefoot as much as possible.

On that note, one of my friends posted that he is upset that the pentagon is allowing some women into combat to assess their abilities. The arguments that arose against women in combat in this 'discussion' disgusted me. Women get yeast infections if they don't 'clean their naughty bits' (yes, exact words), women distract the men, women can be raped by said distracted men, etc. Are there really that many pig-headed jerkoffs left in modern society?! As an ex-marine I am apalled and sickened and ready to show these assholes my sharp shooter skills.

Thankfully I have an hour run on the schedule today to clear my head. Bet I could outrun all the jerks on that thread and probably outscore them on a military PT test too. Evil

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

bagopux

The next time he's 'not paying attention' it could be a child that runs by and isn't so lucky!

Yeah, that was my thought.  I was not going to get any ID off the guy at that point, though.  If there's another issue, I'll make it my business that he loses his dogs.  One-bite rule.

Rusk Runner

Bago -  The gentleman in question would have been saying different things because I guarantee you I would have kicked the (*&* out of that dog.  I had to chase three of them sunday and fortunately a couple handfulls of rocks discouraged them.  I am not proud to say it but do to my location and the way things are I have had to eliminate more than a few dogs.  I dont feel good about it, but I will do it without question if it is the interest of myself or my family.

Just Run!!!

Rusk Runner

Amik - sorry to hear about your aunt.

The Derby half in louisville is also the derby marathon and its a cluster(%$^.  I did my first marathon there, and for several reasons I would not give it a very high rating.

Banshee - as a 20 year veteran I say if a woman wants to fight, let her.  I know many woman who would be more able in combat than many men and vice versa.  Its Americas biblical sense of shame that causes the attitudes of the people you mention.  And yes there are more of them you would possibly like to imagine.

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 5 tempo @ 8:12, 9 mi. total. Today's tempo went much better than Sat. Even though the overall pace is almost the same, today's run was much more consistent and under control. Speed workouts suck--I hate to do them. But I find Tempo workouts to be tougher on the body and harder to recover from. Anyone else feels this way?

Ami, condolences.

Mdawg, awesome that the leg is coming around!!!

Pux, glad you weren't seriously injured. Did you show the owner the hole in your pants?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Banshee - as a 20 year veteran I say if a woman wants to fight, let her.  I know many woman who would be more able in combat than many men and vice versa.  Its Americas biblical sense of shame that causes the attitudes of the people you mention.  And yes there are more of them you would possibly like to imagine.

Yes, I know this but I hate to see it. I went and looked up the men's PFT table and I could score fairly high even in the 17-26 age group. Given that I'm just a recreational athlete without much focus on strength (pull ups would be hell for me) I KNOW that I could blow most of the men out of the water if I actually trained towards that goal. All these degrading comments seem to forget that physical strength is only going to really help in hand to hand combat which is highly unlikely. Being a strong shooter, able to follow commands, organized/team worker, etc all seem like bigger issues to me and ones that women in general tend to excel at. The whole thing just makes me sad. We're supposed to be a free country but I can't even go fight for it. Sad

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop