Sub-4 Marathon Group

Music Thread - All things music ! (Read 39 times)

DetroitTigerFan

Funny thing from Saturday's run.  We started the run in the sand.  The sun was rising and I started my iPod.  First song: Eye of the Tiger.  I felt like Rocky in Rocky III for sure.

docket - that's funny. I love it when songs coincidentally align with a certain aspect of running or the time of day

Last year, i did a 4 am run since it was so hot in the summer and had my ipod on shuffle for the entire library (no playlist) Figured it would shake things up so there would be no predictability on the playlist.  Anyway, Bruce's Dancing in the Dark came on and i kind of chuckled as i ran in the pure darkness

For those of you who like live music on dvd, there is software to let you extract the audio for your ipod. Docket - you should get the "Live at River Plate" ACDC dvd/cd - i'm a huge fan and its great to run to

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

DetroitTigerFan

Burning Heart?  Or the one without lyrics?

Are you referring to the instrumental Rocky Theme (the one where the kids follow Rocky downtown) ?

I enjoy blues, new country and jazz, with a bit of folk and old fashioned rock'n'roll.

JJ Cale, Dixie Chicks, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Asleep at the Wheel, Emmy Lou Harris, Joan Baez, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Beach Boys.....etcetera.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

One time I was running near my house and two bikers came rolling down at the same time that ACDC started playing Highway to Hell.  Very apropos.

And yes, I meant that Rocky song.

docket - that's funny. I love it when songs coincidentally align with a certain aspect of running or the time of day

Last year, i did a 4 am run since it was so hot in the summer and had my ipod on shuffle for the entire library (no playlist) Figured it would shake things up so there would be no predictability on the playlist.  Anyway, Bruce's Dancing in the Dark came on and i kind of chuckled as i ran in the pure darkness

For those of you who like live music on dvd, there is software to let you extract the audio for your ipod. Docket - you should get the "Live at River Plate" ACDC dvd/cd - i'm a huge fan and its great to run to

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

AmiK, now you have me intrigued about country music while running recovery runs.  Maybe I should put one of my Dixie Chicks albums and try it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Yes the instrumental one!  And D, it really is nice and relaxing...although I am more of a Zac Brown fan!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Nachos and jedi - i never understood 2 things about that Rocky 4 sequence -1) the hilarious 60 degree angle - trying to understand how that is physically possible and what health benefit Drago was exactly getting other than a hyper extended achilies - LOL and 2) when the camera pans to the treadmill controls and its all blinking lights - no labels or levers on the lights- LOL - its like - why are they all blinking - what does that mean ???!! Smile

Next time i run indoors, i want to run in the dark with a spotlight chasing me - haha !!!

DTF, you're cracking me up with your questions about Rocky IV!!! Next time you run at your in door track, get someone to "spot" you!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I've actually strayed (GASP) from music and started listening to the Freakonomics podcasts!  They are fantastic.  So is NPR.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

DetroitTigerFan

Rocky IV Montage - including "Hearts On Fire"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q57qB6Kwroo

0:59 - why the blinking lights !?!?

3:11 - spotlight on in indoor track !?!??

6:50 to 7:01 - 60 degree treadmill (aka Nachos and cbus doing their daily VO2 max workout) lol

7:17 - how the heck did he get up there ?

Docket_Rocket

I ran today in the company of ACDC.  No wonder I love the movie Battleship so much;  it's like an ACDC soundtrack.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

i no longer run with music. Running is the only time i have to quiet my mind and i enjoy running so much more now in silence. BUT, toward the end of my music/running i really liked the classical piano station on iHeart Radio.

Dont judge until you run to it. Cool

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

White Lightning

Today was all acoustic blues on pandora and it was absolutely fantastic

Play the Game Hard!

DetroitTigerFan

Ami - the instrumental Rocky Theme is called "Gonna Fly Now" by Bill Conti. There are a few versions since i think it was played in a few of the Rocky flicks

Docket - what's your fav ACDC song ? I've heard it said that Phil Rudd is like a human metronome as drummer. It's funny how many of their song's are in line with a running cadence. There are extremes too - like the concert versions of the Jack or Let There Be Rock which can go on for like 10-15 minutes for the one song -lol

Sprinkles - i'll have to check into podcasts - in the summer i sometimes will put the radio on my nano on while running and listen to the ballgame

roll - yeah, i debated no music as well. Right now i have to leave it off when i do any type of speedwork. In my first marathon i listened the entire time and wanted to chuck my ipod at mile 22. This past year i listened all the way but had the volume down - kind of white noise. I also shook it up by putting the playlist on random mode so it was a surprise and that helped

simon - have Sultans of Swing on my ipod - good running stuff

Docket_Rocket

Not sure which one is my favorite, as I go through phases.  I would say I like Who Made Who, Back in Black, Highway to Hell, and recently Thunderstruck!!!  Blame that on the movie Battleship, ha.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

Docket - Thunderstruck - great running song - alot of races i've been to play it before the starting gun as everyone is getting settled

Donuts - I know it's a cliche running song, but you know you all run to "It's not my time" by 3 doors down - admit it !!  Smile