Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

6 @ 10:03 this morning. Tomorrows my first Speed workout. It's the 12X400. I've done it once before, and I hate it. It's the amount of intervals that gets to my head.

Regarding Dogs, I don't care if they are not on a leash, as long as they don't bother me. Unfortunately, many dog owners do that, "Get back here right now mister!" business when Cujo is running at me gnashing his teeth. But DW has a real bad case of dog-phobia because of an attack she suffered when she was a child, and so the sight of dogs makes her deathly afraid. I think she would appreciate dog owners using the leash.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Oh yeah, I've noticed new people introducing themselves on the Personal Intro thread, but haven't yet participated in the monthly conversation. I just wanted to say, Welcome! and please join in!

White Lightning

Dogs - you know, I'm amazed how well dogs are behaved up here in the town I live in.   No one walks with their dogs on their leash and most won't even glance at you as you go by.  I have more problems with dogs on leashes because they may be taking up the whole path, especially coming up from behind.  All in all very good dog owners up here.  I don't run with my dog but when I walk him in town he's never on his leash.  Now he's trained to come to my side when I say leash Without hesitation Which helps but the other day he saw a pheasant and there was no getting him back, lol.  Chocolate Lab.  We have a lot of border collies up here being a farm town and they are pretty cool.  Most owners give a command when I'm getting close and they lay down on the side of the path until i pass by, owners could be up to 50 yards away.

mdawg - I was on the TM watching the game, not the easiest if you are trying to keep your HR down who ever you were herring for

Play the Game Hard!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - i did a similiar workout last week 10x400 and once you get thru first half the rest is not so bad, but definitely a mentally draining workout.

Hey all,

6 @ 10:03 this morning. Tomorrows my first Speed workout. It's the 12X400. I've done it once before, and I hate it. It's the amount of intervals that gets to my head.

Regarding Dogs, I don't care if they are not on a leash, as long as they don't bother me. Unfortunately, many dog owners do that, "Get back here right now mister!" business when Cujo is running at me gnashing his teeth. But DW has a real bad case of dog-phobia because of an attack she suffered when she was a child, and so the sight of dogs makes her deathly afraid. I think she would appreciate dog owners using the leash.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

cbus - i did a similiar workout last week 10x400 and once you get thru first half the rest is not so bad, but definitely a mentally draining workout.

Yeah, I've done it before. And when I did, I literally lost count of the intervals, and when my watch beeped to signal the end of the workout, I took off again. After about, oh, .5 miles, I was like, "What is going on?" and then realized the workout was over. I'm already looking forward to the 3X1mi workout.

Ball of Fury

Hi all!  Thanks again for the positive thoughts!  DH and I "ran" 2 miles this morning (in Ryan Hall's book, he talked about doing a very short run the next day to help recovery so we thought we would try it).  At first, I couldn't even physically make myself go forward, but eventually got into a bit of a stride.  2 miles @ 15:02/mile...lol!  I do feel better now though.

Sorry I can't do personals but I am on my phone and we are on our way to Epcot to "drink around the world" with some other runners!

QOTD:  As long as the dog is well behaved, it doesn't bother me if he/she is not on a leash.

QOTD #2:  How long do you take off after running a full marathon?  Our plan for the rest of the week was to just do elliptical/bike in the gym and then run some next week.  We are registered for a trail race next weekend (it's in our series) and I really want to run it for the points race but not sure my legs and specifically ITB will let me!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

last 2 marathons I have taken a entire week off before running again. Important to give your body rest right after 26.2 especially if it's your first one too IMO. My spring marathon i took 10 days off, but was nursing a ankle injury from race so wnated to make sure it was healed before running again.

QOTD #2:  How long do you take off after running a full marathon?  Our plan for the rest of the week was to just do elliptical/bike in the gym and then run some next week.  We are registered for a trail race next weekend (it's in our series) and I really want to run it for the points race but not sure my legs and specifically ITB will let me!

cbus - I did my 10x400 on TM as track was a mess last week with snow and ice and not well lit at time I run.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

Amik.  I took a week off after both and plan to do the same after the next one.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

I took two entire weeks off from all activity after my first marathon. In retrospect that was probably too much. I was a little too inactive during that time. In the future, I'm gonna still take 1 or 2 weeks off of running, but will find ways to be more active, like walk, foam roll, stretch, etc.

cmb4314

Morning!

My cold is almost completely better, and I managed all three of my runs this weekend, though it was so cold that I ended up on the treadmill for everything, even my long run.  Yesterday was a high of 10, feels like -2.  I tried waiting it out so I could run in the warmest part of the day, and then it snowed unexpectedly.  The paths were already pretty treacherously icy because it was 40 and rainy on Friday, then within about 12 hours the temperature went from 40 to 10, and all of the rain puddles froze.  Once the puddles were covered up by a thin layer of snow, it made it even more dicey because I wouldn't be able to see them coming, so I just sucked it up and ran 17 on the treadmill.  Sigh.  At least there were football games on to watch.

AmiK and Damaris - congrats on Disney!

Question of the day #1 - Dogs always make me nervous when they are not on a leash, because I have no way of knowing how well someone has trained their dog, and the answer usually is "not well".  If I knew the dog, I would be okay with it probably, but it's nerve wracking to me until the dog is past me because I have no idea how it will respond to my presence.

Question of the day #2 - I have taken a full week off after both marathons.  After a long training plan, I need the mental break as much as I need the physical break.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

ap4

Good morning Donuts!

AmiK and Damaris-Good job on races well done!  Do you have your next marathons planned out yet?

QOTD #1:  Dogs and their owners can vary quite a bit.  For some owners, "not ever bitten anybody"=well behaved.  As a runner, you also have to worry about tripping over the dog if they zoom in front of you.  It makes a huge difference if the owner is paying attention or not.  Leashed dogs that are zooming about with an owner on a cell phone are the biggest hazard to a runner in my opinion.   Akalei, your dog sounds well-behaved and mindful.  My guess is that guy just wanted his run to be over.  Sometimes when you're hurting, the littlest things get magnified...the wind's too strong, I'm thirsty, my shorts are chafing, etc.  So your dog got to be his scapegoat.

QOTD #2:  I would take at least 2 solid days off.  Not that you can't do a 2 miler to keep things moving, but don't worry about time and keep the distances short as you're healing.  With my first I took 3-4 days off and ran maybe 10 miles that first week.  With the second, I was following Pfitz's mult marathon schedule, so 2 days off, then ended up doing 4 5-7 mile recovery runs the rest of the week.  I would have taken it easier on my own, but was exactly 12 weeks from my next goal marathon.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Banshee- You do not come across that way, and I don't think that all running bloggers are like that, or bloggers in general.  It only annoys me when i see how cliquish they are, taking pictures mid-race, not taking running seriously and generally looking completely foolish.  It also bothers me that these upper-middle-class white girls from Manhattan are getting free gear, when there are a LOT of people who need it (I just donated partially worn shoes to a woman who lost her house in a fire last week so that she wouldn't quit running).  I dont' think every company needs to be a charity either...just these girls are insufferable. They all suffer from "special snowflake" syndrome and think they are celebrities.

Mdawg- Agreed- there are different types of bloggers - I'd much rather read from someone like Banshee who treats her running seriously.

Ami- people whose dogs are off the leash don't bother me if it looks like the dog is under control and (breed discrimination here) its not a pit bull...I've been chased by pitbulls before and tehy are far more terrifying due to the strength of their jaws.  I assume that if an owner has a dog off the leash, the dog can be trusted.  It always makes me nervous becuase I fear that the dog will dart into traffic or get hurt though.

Me- SRD + Spin today.  I think my metabolic rate must have been measured incorrectly because I"m gaining quite a bit of weight eating more despite my training. Ugh...frustrating for sure.  My shin still hurts from the fence-smash.  I will never try to do anything requiring agility again.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

akalei

Thanks for your input, everyone.  Not sure why this is still bugging me so badly a day later.  I guess I just don't want to be THAT dog owner or otherwise inconsiderate person.

cbus and mdawg: that was my biggest concern (which I didn't really think about until after the fact/stink eye face), that maybe one of them was afraid of dogs in general.  They didn't act like it, but I guess you never know.  I guess I think no one could be afraid of my goofy looking angel, but I've never been scarred by experiences with dogs, either.  And cbus--also to contribute to the "depends on the size/breed" debate, here's Cujo (on a leash, might I add Joking):

ap4: They weren't even running, although the weather was a bit miserable nonetheless.  Almost looked like they might have just had a fight, because they were walking about 3 feet apart when we first saw them ahead of us and both looked like someone peed in their cheerios.  Maybe I was insult to injury?  Sorry to ruin your day, man I'll probably never see again.

I think a good rule of thumb going forward is, in the mornings during the week, I still don't need to be too concerned because it's ALWAYS the same people there, so they recognize him.  Of course, I still put him on the leash when we're going through the parking lot or when we're going to pass someone because I don't want to startle anyone.  But on the weekends when you never know who will be around, he'll probably be stuck on the leash for the bulk of his run, much to his chegrin.

As to QOTD1: I took a week off after the first marathon because I needed it, but after the 2nd, was running again by Wednesday.   All depends on how you feel... DH and I ran a 3-miler race (not to be confused with a 5K) in Boston at a comfortable pace a week after Steamtown.  If you feel fine, you'll be good.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

bagopux

QOTD #2:  I don't think the real issue is how many days you take off immediately, but what you do in the 2-3 week term after a hard race.  I tend to recover very quickly for near-term purposes.  So I can go run in a day or two.  But, I'm not training in a day or two.  You need to do just light running with low mileage only for a good 2-3 weeks afterward.  You will have latent fatigue in your legs, and if you try to do too much to soon, you significantly increase the risk of injury (or, in your specific case, an injury in addition to your ITB).

Smashy!!!

Your dog is cute, and looks nothing like Cujo (who was a St. Bernard, who also save people in the alps by feeding them alcohol, which I learned through cartoons). But it would still frighten DW. It doesn't matter what the dog is, she freezes up. I guess being attacked by a dog when you were like 3 years old can do that? Personally, I used to love dogs, until I developed a severe dog allergy (and suffered the trauma of putting my two dogs to sleep). So I'd prefer not to be touched by a dog so as to avoid itching like crazy the rest of the day.   

And cbus--also to contribute to the "depends on the size/breed" debate, here's Cujo (on a leash, might I add Joking):