Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Rusk Runner

Cbus - I have pretty well dicided on the Southern Indiana Classic in Evansville for April.  I have basically two choices for the Fall; either Indianapolis or Indianapolis Monumental.  I will probably lean toward the Monumental for the sake of the elevation profile.  Its a bigger race so I will have to make that sacrifice if I decide to go that direction.  The Classic is going to be a bit hilly but, its close to home and benefits military, so its a win, win for me.

Josh - Classic photo!  Good to hear that you are feeling good today.  I assume you are chomping at the bit to get to the next one.  Let us know what organized training plan you are looking at using, and remember, they all need to be written in pencil, not ink.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

great quote

organized training plan you are looking at using, and remember, they all need to be written in pencil, not ink.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Trail Monster

Great work today all!

today was an ultra-training day for me. 1 hour speed hike to see how much ground I could cover. Ended up with 4.2 miles. If I can make walking that pace fairly comfortable I could foreseeably run a sub-24 at Burning River!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Rusk Runner

You are a trail monster banshee!  Smile  I hope to one day learn this ultra thing you speak of. 

Just Run!!!

Trail Monster

Indiana, considering you run much better than me at all the shorter distances I am pretty sure you could kick ass at an ultra too!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.

Josh:  way to gut it out; sounds like conditions weren't great, either.  Regroup and get it next time!

Roll:  hope the turf toe isn't a fracture.  I dealt with it when I played soccer back in HS and it was wretched.

Nothing much to add. Only my glutes are sore from the race, which makes sense because the race had contour.  Something that I don't normally get.  Ran 4.1 @ 8:52 today at lunch.  It was 60 degrees in December, so I did what I could to enjoy it.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Dreamn

It was beautiful outside today - shorts weather.  Only did 4.5 short miles but I could not pass up mid-60's in December.  More great weather tomorrow before we get back to the arctic blast.

Nice pic, Josh!  I always look like death in race day photos.

Hi everyone! I didn't want to just be a lurker- seems a bit like listening to a private conversation, not very nice.

I understand this is a group made up mostly (entirely?) of people from RW- I hope you don't mind if I ask to join.

To introduce myself, I have been running for about 6 years, live in Canada and have been an RA member for 5 years, after a while on a Canadian forum and on Cool Running.

This seems like a very active group and runners at about my level, so I hope I can fit in. I have never run a marathon, though I have done seven halfs, mostly around 1:45, which leads me to think I can probably run a 4 hour full.

If I can get my training built back up I will register for a race next October. (You are going to have to explain the "donuts" reference!)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Smashy!!!

Hi everyone! I didn't want to just be a lurker- seems a bit like listening to a private conversation, not very nice.

I understand this is a group made up mostly (entirely?) of people from RW- I hope you don't mind if I ask to join.

To introduce myself, I have been running for about 6 years, live in Canada and have been an RA member for 5 years, after a while on a Canadian forum and on Cool Running.

This seems like a very active group and runners at about my level, so I hope I can fit in. I have never run a marathon, though I have done seven halfs, mostly around 1:45, which leads me to think I can probably run a 4 hour full.

If I can get my training built back up I will register for a race next October. (You are going to have to explain the "donuts" reference!)

Hi Simon--welcome!

Yes, we all started at RWOL, but now we are here, so come on board.

1:45 is a great HM time. You definitely have the speed for a sub-4 full. Now it's about building endurance and learning pace discipline. Any ideas what plan you might use?

The donuts reference is actually quite simple. A while back, we all started talking about how much we loved donuts, for some reason. And then it snow balled from there. Now it used as a "congrats" or a greeting.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Thanks, one of those interesting things that becomes part of the culture- I like it!

I used the Pfitz 18/55 plan to run my best half, though I topped out at 49 miles and cut out a few of the tougher runs.

I would use that plan again as I have confidence it works for me. One of my problems is a tendency not to slow down enough on slow runs- I get bored or impatient.

Most of us have no problem with the speed- it's always the distance that's the problem!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rusk Runner

Ahhhhh - 63 deg and windy at 0300 (AM for you non 24 hour folks).  First date with Pfitz round 2.  8 miles tempo run, 2miles @ 9:42, 4 miles @ 7:24, and 2 miles @ 9:40.  Probably about 11 seconds per mile faster that what I wanted on the tempo portion but, what the hell.

Welcome  Simon!  Lots of Pfitz users here, and lots of soon to be Hansons converts.  I also will be trying a Hansons plan but it will have to wait till after the spring cycle.

Flinders - Contour.  I like the wording.  My training runs often have too much contour.  If you dont mind my asking, what is your career path?

Just Run!!!

onemile

Good morning!

Josh - nice photo!

Roll - ouch on the crash.  Hope your toe gets better. Biking is dangerous :P

zoekat - it sounds like we may be rivals in the 2012 game.  Evil  I'm heading to St. John, USVI for a vacation later this week so my miles are unfortunately not going to be great this week.  Bad timing but I really need a vacation.

cbus - my knees always felt worst after sitting too or driving.  Ugh.  That took forever to go away.

Indiana - sounds like you have some good races to choose from.   I haven't decided on fall yet.  Want to see how this training cycle goes first.  And nice job on the tempo miles this morning.

Dreamn - we've had crazy nice weather too. I think today is the last day of it though.

Simon - Welcome!  And yes, it does look like you run your training runs pretty fast!  My HM PR is 1:46: xx and I usually run around 9:30, sometimes over 10mm if my legs are feeling tired.  Sub-4 should be no problem but don't be so easy on yourself.  How about sub-3:50?

Probably 10 for me tonight.  Want to get in a few decent runs before I head on vacation.

Docket_Rocket

Yo, Donuts!  I'm alive (and I mean that literally).  SRD # 2 today.  Will probably run tomorrow if the throat feels better.  Still a bit swollen, so I must be careful.

Lots of work today but I'll be back later tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Good morning!  First speedwork since pre Chicago for me this morning.  12 x 400s w/400 recoveries.  Including the 1 mile w/u and c/d, total was 8 miles.  Like many of you, fantastic weather in Atlanta the last few days.  Today's record high of 76 stands a good chance of being broken.  We'll cool down to the normal high 50s on Wednesday, but that's still not bad.

Simon:  I have the same HM time as you.  Like the others have said, if you build your endurance, a sub 4 is definitely within your reach.  Oh, and Donuts (aka...welcome!).

Indy:  I am on the Hanson bandwagon.  I'll be interested to see how it works for many of us.

onemile:  10 after work?  I don't know if I could do that.  I'm such a morning runner.

Off to read Joshlynn and Docket's race reports...

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Hey all, 

Today's an off day. I was emailing with a running friend, who knows A LOT, and she mentioned that the glutes and hip flexors are the major muscles that are attached to the IT band. So even though there is debate about the effectiveness of rolling the IT band, there is definite consensus that muscle CAN be stretched. I think tight glutes and hips might be contributing to my ITBS. I've pretty much determined that whatever is causing it, it is happening in the hips. So, I'm gonna do a lot more static stretching, to see if I can get my butt and hips to loosen up. 

Indi, just read your bio. Wow! You have come so far in such a short time. Along with the running, have you changed your other habits? What did the doc say at your next physical (did the doc even recognize you anymore?)? 

Mdawg, awesome interval workout. Sounds like a Hansons Speed workout. (was it?)

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)