Sub-4 Marathon Group

August 2013 (Read 41 times)

Rusk Runner

90 deg, 93 deg heat index. The hill at the end of the 4th interval was not going to happen (steep). 1 mile w/u @ 9:21 pace. 5x400 @ 6:04, 5:59, 6:05, 6:33 (hill), 6:04 pace, 1:40 rest periods. 2.1 c/d @ 9:19 pace.
    Tough for a short workout, and rather crazy in the heat but, doable.

RVD - Hope you are mending well.

Docket - Do it !

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

DetroitTigerFan

Docket - don't know how you do it but you are my inspiration !

Disaster for me tonight - 86 degree day with a 70 dew point (Docket - I track that now) Goal - was 11 with last 7 at HM pace (lactate threshold)  Backstory - out in SC for work, working in hotels until 10pm. Fly home this morning -had a big omelet breakfast, got back at noon but no lunch. Boss lets me leave early as we are exhausted. Get home early, rest for 30, suit up and out the door.  First 4 go well - 9:30 warm up, next few at LT go well at ~ 8:40 (aiming 8:15-8:30), but then it all fell apart.  Had to run/walk and my tempo run turned into a recovery run.  My heart rate during the recovery portion was almost as high as a tempo run, so I was forced to walk to bring it down. I also ran out of water. Oh - I ran past an accident scene too. It had happened already when i ran near it on the other side of the road.  I said a prayer for a guy being loaded into an ambulance.  Looked like a car ran into a telephone poll or something.

I've done these runs before with success but I think all the factors including work, weather and lack of rest, and nutrition today contributed.  Seeing my heart rate that high scared me as it was 20 BPM higher than my normal recovery run pace. I was scared to run at that point

Question - I have 12 long tomorrow - should I just do that workout as planned or try again to redo the LT run? in my view, I failed today and I simply need to move on in the schedule. thoughts ? it's supposeed to be 86 again tomorrow

headed to the couch now Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Do the 12 and don't attempt to catch up on missing runs.

8 miles done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

I agree with Docket.  Just keep moving forward.  Crappy days happen to everybody and it is best just to move on.

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  13 miles done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

Another sub par effort tonight - 12 miles done - could only get 9:48 avg when was aiming for 9:15 (today I ranged 9:30 - 10:05 ish) not sure what my deal is but I suspect the sudden heat wave  has something to do with it. It was very cool here in August with mornings in 50's. This past week nightly lows are in the high 70's and the days ranging to 89. I simply think my body hasn't adapted yet. Looks like a cool down next - just in time for my first tune up race 10k !

Hope everyone is doing well !

Rusk Runner

Good Luck on the 10K, DTF!

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD!

DTF and indi, good luck!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

5 supposed to be recovery miles.  103 deg heat index.  8:53 avg pace.  Time to relax.

Just Run!!!

DetroitTigerFan

my 10K is next weekend, but thank you ! Smile

Indy - good luck with your race !  I hope the weather cooperates for you

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all.  Returning to group after a little hiatus after Steamtown last year. I rushed back into training too fast last year and got injured so haven't really been hangin here.

Did 8 miles this morning, was supposed to do 6 as part of recovery.  Basically it is 2nd week recovery from marathon I ran on the 18th [Chasing the Unicorn]. Temps were not as bad Indy's yesterday - not by longshot.  Only 73F but about 90% humidity.

Have a great weekend all - especially Indy.  Best of luck.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

DetroitTigerFan

Hi shadow !

All - my scheduled 20 miler today was a disaster, much like all my runs this week. I'm not sure if i'm possibly sick or maybe a little over-trained right now.  I have been pushing paces these past few weeks.  Anyway, out of the 20 scheduled today, I was forced to call it a day after 16 miles after being nauseous aroundmile 13 and doing the run/walk thing to the 16 mile starting point. It wasn't hot this morning, but storms rolled through leaving 90% humidity.  As I mentioned before the heat/dew point caught me by surprise this week.  However at this point, I don't know what my issue is - I've done these 20 milers before with 0 issues and thought I was prepared. All I know is that i'm not hitting my paces this week averaging around 10:00 min/miles on all my workouts, including the first 8 miles today.  Overall I'm tired and hope that being run down isn't causing any issues. I just hope my will isn't giving up - disappointed again in my effort today and was almost in tears as I was walking and runners were passing me. Even if I wasn't feeling well, I should have at least been able to get 16 done without walking.  Time to rest this weekend and go back to the drawing board... Sad

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

DTF: Humidity can be a killer on long runs and races and more sneaky than heat.  I bonked my marathon 2 wks.ago even though I was well acclimated and trained in worse temps/conditions.  Temps on race day were 71-74F with light breeze, and overrcast but humidity was close to 80-90%.

Like your run today still not sure what went wrong since I was fine until mile 18-19 and then downhill from there [actually walked miles 23-26] so ended up 4:16+ time. Route was extremely flat so no hills and pace was around 8-8:20 before crash.  I started questioning everything I did that day [gels, pace, water/gatorade stops etc.], but still haven't figured it out.

A coworker who ran  marathons back in the 1970's [old school] suggested it was the humidity. Something I hadn't really noticed/considered.  You lose more fluids since body can cool down since sweat doesn't evaporate so you sweat more.  You end up losing more fluids/salts but you don't notice like you do in the heat.

Chances are the high temps earlier this week has left you dehydrated and humidity today drained more.  Rehydrate and rest, then kick it behind you.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

DetroitTigerFan

Shadow - i'm sorry to hear about your race.  8's for a marathon are great.  thanks so much for your feedback - i know docket has taught me to look at dew point as opposed to humidity since its relative, but I hear you though overall.  I'm not sure where you live, but last year was the 2nd hottest summer in record in MI.  This year has almost been no summer, so my body was not acclimated the sudden heat this week.  To your point on hydration, i'm wondering if that's what did it for me - i track my weight and lost 5-7 lbs this week alone, which is unusual for me.  I used 30oz of fluids today for the 16 miles when I used ~16oz for my 20 miler the week before.  I also had a out of town business trip early in the week which also pushed all my running for the week into the past 4 days too.  Maybe cramming the miles into a short period along with hydration were factors. Anyway, i'm going to rest, stay positive and put my game face back on this next week..   Hope everyone has a great weekend !!!

Rusk Runner

So as I posted before, the 2nd annual Heartland Half Marathon was supposed to be a fun run with a running buddy of mine and it was supposed to be done at a slow pace. Once he dropped I figured I would go ahead and do a fitness test for a mild PR just to see where I might be at for the upcoming Monumental Marathon/Half Marathon.
                                Yesterday ended up being quite a parody that I just took in stride since I wasnt really going to be racing today. Quick review is not much sleep due to environmental conditions.
                                No Biggy. Goal was to run 7:45 as much as possible. No slower, no faster, just good solid pacing.
                                Temps were at 70 deg and humid when I left the house at 6:15. Only got warmer from there.
                                Splits were as follows:
                                7:39
                                7:45
                                7:46
                                7:47
                                7:44
                                7:47
                                7:39
                                7:41
                                7:27
                                .10 @ 6:57 pace.
                                Garmin shows 1369ft ascent, 1462ft descent.
                                Official time is 1:40:34 for an avg pace of 7:41.
                                5th of 24 in AG, 32 of 178 males, 37 or 359 finishers. (1st 49 year old, LOL)

I had a great time running and never thought I was working too hard at all however, pushing to much harder for the weather could have ended bad for me. I think with added training I should be able to race a hard race at Monumental this November.
                                THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT, DONUTS! COULDNT DO IT WITHOUT YOU ALL!

Just Run!!!