Sub-4 Marathon Group

August 2013 (Read 41 times)

Rusk Runner

22.2 miles on the bicycle, nice and easy.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

DetroitTigerFan

DTF - I cant remember if you were doing any sort of HR training or not.  How long ago was that HM you did that you were using that pace?  I guess what I am looking for is if you feel that you are occasionally pushing your aerobic fitness every now and then.  Pushing your heart and lungs occasionally should make them able to work harder in the long run.  If I have it in me, I like to do those final miles of a LR pretty close to GMP, which it appears you are doing.  So I guess my question is, "does your weekly quality day truly feel like a quality day, leaving you thinking that you gave a solid effort that will boost your fitness?"

Indy - thanks so much as always - this is good stuff - the HM at 8:18/mile was my final Pfitz tune up race last year in mid-Sept. I'm running the same one again this year in mid Sept.  This next month is important as I enter into solid long runs over 16 miles. So i'll have to decide what to do.  As for HR stuff, I use a monitor in my training and watch the pace and avg HR for each workout and compare notes.  For long runs, Pfitz says my HR should be 134-151. For those non-MP long run's, I've been hitting HR's ~138 at paces ~ 9:35.  So this sounds like the lower end of the range on a cool day. I agree with pushing things to not chase pace goals in a book.  I'm thinking I may need to push myself to 9:30  (Hansons 3:50 pace) or better with the final miles at GMP (9:09). This would be different than how I prepared last year so maybe it will be a good stimulus.  I just worry a little since conventional wisdom in the books say that you build endurance by running slower on long runs

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

DTF - Are you using a formula for your max HR number, or have you pushed the limit to actually have a more trusted number.  The formula is pure and utter BS.  If you havent really tested your MHR I wouldnt do it until after your MRT is done this time around.

I am a 48 yo male and I have determined my max HR to be 195.  How far off would the formula have me?

Oh, and I am willing to bet you could run a stronger HM if you werent in the latter half of MRT.

Just Run!!!

DetroitTigerFan

Hello all - 20 down - was a procedural mess though - 30 min delay this am - lost my cheap sun glasses in my pocket in a grass field before starting and couldn't find it with a flashlight.(I forgot my headlamp too) So did my 8 mile loop and saw the glasses on the second loop -lol. I ran this one more on effort and had a good pace but have mixed feelings if I did well or not

Indy - ok - not sure if I ran smart or not today lol - averaged 9:14 today which makes me wonder if I ran a little too close to GMP for the whole run -  ran first 3 at 9:45 (135HR) + 13 at 9:14 (140 HR) + 4 at 8:56 (148HR) finishing in 3:05 - last year I ran more on pace target and finished in 3:30. My real goal was to run at 9:30 with the last 4 at MP but I pushed myself to work those lungs. Am I losing any endurance by doing this or does it seem like I have the endurance, just not peak fitness? should I do similar workouts for the rest of my long runs in Sept? PS -  the HR targets are from the book formula. I've never been had a test though to determine max HR.  Everyone else is invited to comment too

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 miles tonight.

DTF, remember the LRs are best done slow enough (unless a paced run), so your effort was probably the right pace for the day.  Glad you found your sunglasses.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

DTF - find out your max properly or its pointless to look at your HR data.

I'm under the assumption that running at MP will still build endurance because its still aerobic but its harder on the joints, muscles, etc... and you may not recover to run your next workout at its fullest effort because of that.  But I think its important to finish your LR's strong like you did today.  Nice Job

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

DTF - Well, maybe just a large chunk of that was a tad fast but, if it felt good and you recover well, then I say "no harm no foul".  And with Josh that makes two votes that you have got to get out sometime and test for your max HR.

Dont know what the heck I was thinking today.  I went out after forgetting my HRM and just ended up running by how I felt.  Ended up being a short tempo run of sorts. 5 miles @ 7:18 avg pace, splits:  7:27, 7:16, 7:14, 7:04, 7:27.

I have noticed lately also that my resting HR is consistently below 50 bpm in the middle of the day.  I havent tried it waking up of anything but I would say it must be i the low 40's when I am actually sleeping.  I may need to re-do some HRR conversions.  With a max of 195, I may well need to be running faster all of the time anyway.  I am a little suprised after coming off of a month with no running.  I guess the cycling indeed kept my fitness level from falling off the cliff.

Just Run!!!

Rusk Runner

12.2 miles and week 1 of HMRT in the bank.  Avg pace of 8:55.  Hills and heat.  Went from 68 to 86 deg in the snap of a finger.  Uphill finish was a workout.  Finished the week with 36.5 miles.

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  My 16 @ MP+10% turned into 12 at that pace when I started having severe nausea at Mile 10.  Bleh.

8 miles tonight.  We'll see how I feel.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Good morning!  Abs, 5 easy TM miles, and stretching at the gym.  This workout felt easier than the last Monday workout after a 16 mile LR.  Hope that bodes well.  I'm on the other side now as last week was my peak mileage week in the Hansons beginner plan.  Starting to get real...

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Hi all!

I have not been around for some time as I have done very little running in the last month and a half, mostly due to lack of motivation. I can certainly feel the difference, I have gained about 6 lbs and lost a lot of fitness.

I have read the last few pages of the thread and congratulate you all on how well you are doing, several mentions of really good interval paces and solid long runs. Especially considering the heat most are having to deal with.

Good to talk to you all again.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rusk Runner

Good to hear from you again, Simon.  You will notice that this thread is very quiet lately as the Donuts have opened a facebook page.  I dont know if you facebook much, but if you do, try to get on there.

I and some others continue to post on here all the time.

Just Run!!!

DTF - how are the legs after that 20 miler?

I treated last week as a cut back due to trying to rehab this hip/ITBS/nerve, whatever it is, and ended up with only 24 miles which was up from the seriously low week the week before. Back to the normal 35-40 this week hopefully. This HAS to get better before MRT starts mid Sept.

Simon - good to see you here

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

Welcome back Simon!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

nachosgrande

Simon - Welcome back.   Assuming you get back into running, you'll find your fitness coming around quicker than you think.