Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

Smashy!!!

Shout out to all my homies in donut land!

Finished 10 easy. Garmin's dead right now, so I dont know what my pace was, but I think it was somewhere between 9:50-10:00.

Flinders, !dawg, nice intervals!

Onemile, so far, for me, it's been the exact opposite. MP runs have been feeling good, and the LR has been killer. Of course, my MP runs are on the shorter side, so we will see when they get longer.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

mdawg, nice intervals.

RVD, onemile, and bagopux, morning!

Roll, enjoy vacation and I hope you get a run in.

Cbus, nice run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Roll - I am taking tomorrow off of work, so I will try the run later tonight.

DTF - There is a great trade off when it comes to training by HR.  HR is supposed to dictate your pace so that you are training at the correct intensity level.  There of course is play in that due to heat, humidity, etc.. but the idea is to stay in the zone and not overdo or underdo a workout.  If you are training by pace, you need to basically use your HR data to figure your goal pace etc... and then utilize HR Data for informational purposes i.e. (I must be overtraining, its too hot I should slow down, I might have overjudged my goal pace).  For what it is worth, HR data has helped me in the past in realizing injury and fatigue and has helped me understand what I am actually capable of doing.  I tend to train in the upper edges of Pfitz recommended zones.

Nice running, all of you that are capable of doing so!  I hope to rejoin the ranks today!

cbus - My revised goals are HM fun run in September, 4 mile race in November, 50 mile ultra in April, 156 mile bike ride in July, with BQ marathon TBD.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Finished 10 easy. Garmin's dead right now, so I dont know what my pace was, but I think it was somewhere between 9:50-10:00.

Onemile, so far, for me, it's been the exact opposite. MP runs have been feeling good, and the LR has been killer. Of course, my MP runs are on the shorter side, so we will see when they get longer.

I did the 3 wu / 3 cd for the MP runs so they were usually the same length as the LRs but harder.  But I think the MP runs start a little shorter on the beginner plan?  I can't remember.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Welp, dewpoint got to me today for the first time ever.  I haven't had much difficulty in the heat and humidity, but today I withered in the 69 dewpoint and 85% humidity.  I just felt like I was slogging and even my legs hurt.  It felt exactly like the marathon.  I ended up stopping at 8 miles instead of 10.  I did 5 on the TM last night...and the AC was broken in the gym, meaning...you can't win here right now (but at least the gym had a fan).

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

I don't know. Looking at the plans, the MP runs wouldn't be as long as the LR until it got to 10 MP mile, if one is doing 3 wu and 3 cd. In the Beginners plan, they start a mile shorter, and then after a couple of days are the same. The difference is in the amount of wu and cd. The other thing that makes the MP runs tougher is the fact that you're coming off of speed or strength on T. Right now, I'm not doing any quality on T., so that's probably why MP days don't feel tough right now.

I did the 3 wu / 3 cd for the MP runs so they were usually the same length as the LRs but harder.  But I think the MP runs start a little shorter on the beginner plan?  I can't remember.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

If you look at the precipitation potential for Atlanta for Thursday morning, those runners are screwed.

Do you do your long runs on Saturday or Sunday?  I've got one more 16 for this Sunday.  Afterwards the long runs move to six 18s and then six 20s.  I usually hit the Silver Comet about 10 - 15 minutes before dawn to get started.

You're not kidding.  Glad I can put off my run that morning if needed.

I do my LRs on Sundays.  This week I'm doing it on Saturday though.  I'm definitely running it at the Comet this weekend.  I've got to juggle my schedule a little due to business travel next week.  The only way to avoid two hard days in a row is to switch the Saturday easy and Sunday LR this weekend.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Afternoon, donuts Smile

Quick drive by for me today.

Probably going to go do some elliptical/strength stuff after work today.  I would like to run on Tuesdays ideally, but I'm still hesitant to test my IT band.  It is actually feeling pretty darn great today, but I think I'm going to give it at least a few more days.  I originally aggravated it a little over two weeks ago, and waited 8 days to run again, but I don't think it was quite ready to run - it never really felt bad during the run, but in the days after I was certainly feeling it.  Now 8 more days later, I feel just a little bit better than I did last week, so I'm going to make sure and give it lots of time to heal up before trying to run again.  I'd rather take an extra week now than keep going with this cycle of waiting a week and then aggravating it again.

Hopefully the strengthening and cross training I've been doing has been working to strengthen the leg so that when I can get back to running, the IT band cooperates.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Ball of Fury

Hi all!!  Just time for a quick update:  today was Insanity Cardio Power & Resistance, which I followed with a 3-mile run at 10:15/mile.  Legs were tired on the run but no pain!  They are pretty sore now though, hopefully just from not running for so long, not from residual injury.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Hi all!!  Just time for a quick update:  today was Insanity Cardio Power & Resistance, which I followed with a 3-mile run at 10:15/mile.  Legs were tired on the run but no pain!  They are pretty sore now though, hopefully just from not running for so long, not from residual injury.

Nice!!!

Donuts, FYI, Sun & Ski has some of the BrooksPure 50% off. I just bought the Flows for $47.xx.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

Great news.

Docket_Rocket

Great news, Ami!!!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

DTF, I run my HR and like Cbus said, it is affected by other things, heat, humidity, sleep, food, so it could be you just had a good day.  I would trust the HR % more than the pace and if it gives you a fast day I would take it.

Docket - thanks - i'm still learning all this heart rate stuff to be honest.  When you say trust the heart rate % is that just avg heart rate during run divided by max heart rate or some other calc? I know pfitz gives intensity levels based on heart rate %, where I have to guess my max heart rate (since I don't want to figure it out formally at a gym or something)

Bago - thanks- I like your approach to heart rate, even if Pfitz talks about it alot.  It seems like we know how it feels to run a tempo, long run, and recovery and there always is some overlap in a range. So, it makes me nervous just looking at the heart rate during a run. Maybe I just need to get used to it.  Last year I did more of a paced Pfitz approach and that seemed to be fine. Add to that - it's been way cooler here than last summer, so comparing to last years data is tricky too

Indy - thanks - so if I understand you correctly, you initially use the heart rate data for pace determination and then maybe spot check HR during a run (so when you run in training you more look at pace and occasionally look at HR?)

Sprinkles - you're using Pfitz - how do you use heart rate in your training ?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

That's fantastic, Ami!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

I base my max HR from a 5K race and use Maf as my HR to run at (not necessarily average, I just never pass that number).  I think Maf is 70% of the max.

Having said that, I had to say fuck off, HR today because I was apparently running at easy pace but at HMP heart race.  Sometimes, on days like this where the dewpoint is too high, the HR goes crazy.  Or maybe it's the owner.  Ha.

Docket - thanks - i'm still learning all this heart rate stuff to be honest.  When you say trust the heart rate % is that just avg heart rate during run divided by max heart rate or some other calc? I know pfitz gives intensity levels based on heart rate %, where I have to guess my max heart rate (since I don't want to figure it out formally at a gym or something)

Bago - thanks- I like your approach to heart rate, even if Pfitz talks about it alot.  It seems like we know how it feels to run a tempo, long run, and recovery and there always is some overlap in a range. So, it makes me nervous just looking at the heart rate during a run. Maybe I just need to get used to it.  Last year I did more of a paced Pfitz approach and that seemed to be fine. Add to that - it's been way cooler here than last summer, so comparing to last years data is tricky too

Indy - thanks - so if I understand you correctly, you initially use the heart rate data for pace determination and then maybe spot check HR during a run (so when you run in training you more look at pace and occasionally look at HR?)

Sprinkles - you're using Pfitz - how do you use heart rate in your training ?

Damaris

Fundraising Page