Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 4 easy today (@10:10) to give me 15 for the week. The breathing, heart, and everything cardio related feels good. Energy feels good too. But the legs feel banged up, structurally speaking. I'm assuming they just haven't fully healed from the training. I'm gonna run every other day this week, and see if my legs catch up.

Onemile, you still haven't said whether you've read my response to your Graston question. Now I'm starting to think you're ignoring me! Anyways, I said to get it done at least 2 weeks out, if not 3. If nothing's bothering you, I'd suggest waiting until after.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Hey all,

Got in 4 easy today (@10:10) to give me 15 for the week. The breathing, heart, and everything cardio related feels good. Energy feels good too. But the legs feel banged up, structurally speaking. I'm assuming they just haven't fully healed from the training. I'm gonna run every other day this week, and see if my legs catch up.

Onemile, you still haven't said whether you've read my response to your Graston question. Now I'm starting to think you're ignoring me! Anyways, I said to get it done at least 2 weeks out, if not 3. If nothing's bothering you, I'd suggest waiting until after.

Not ignoring you! I just have been busy this weekend! And I'm trying to catch up.

What was/is bothering me is my left hip.  I went in a month ago and one appointment made it better. But now I can feel it again on longer/faster stuff. Like my MP runs.  BUT it's not like it's bad and it's sort of a regular nagging thing.

I read an article that said that getting Graston done pre-race can actually improve performance.  And also I thought it might be a sort of preventative thing to do to keep my hip happy.  It's MUCH better than it was in late Jan/ early Feb.

So I don't know.  After my last appt, I didn't really have much post-appt soreness and my hip immediately felt a lot of improvement.  But minus some soreness on my tempo run this week, it has felt just fine the last few days. so at this point I'm not sure if it's even worth the bother to make an appointment.  My half marathon is in 2 weeks from today.

White Lightning

Afternoon everyone.  18 miles finished at 9:28 and only 70% HRR.  My legs were really tight at the start and never really loosened up so I really had to push through at the end.  Aggravated my left ITB in the first 6 miles when I tried to run on the ice and puddle hop but the second half felt better when I found some clean paths and could settle into a consistent pace.  Windy and depressingly overcast so not so many smiles on this one.  51.2 for the week which is a PR by about three and my legs knew it.

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

My only concern would be post appt. inflammation. If that hasn't been an issue for you, then I'd say go for it. It wouldn't hurt. And if you do have a little adhesion somewhere in your hip, I do think it could improve your performance on race day.

Not ignoring you! I just have been busy this weekend! And I'm trying to catch up.

What was/is bothering me is my left hip.  I went in a month ago and one appointment made it better. But now I can feel it again on longer/faster stuff. Like my MP runs.  BUT it's not like it's bad and it's sort of a regular nagging thing.

I read an article that said that getting Graston done pre-race can actually improve performance.  And also I thought it might be a sort of preventative thing to do to keep my hip happy.  It's MUCH better than it was in late Jan/ early Feb.

So I don't know.  After my last appt, I didn't really have much post-appt soreness and my hip immediately felt a lot of improvement.  But minus some soreness on my tempo run this week, it has felt just fine the last few days. so at this point I'm not sure if it's even worth the bother to make an appointment.  My half marathon is in 2 weeks from today.

Smashy!!!

Donuts on the mileage PR!

Afternoon everyone.  18 miles finished at 9:28 and only 70% HRR.  My legs were really tight at the start and never really loosened up so I really had to push through at the end.  Aggravated my left ITB in the first 6 miles when I tried to run on the ice and puddle hop but the second half felt better when I found some clean paths and could settle into a consistent pace.  Windy and depressingly overcast so not so many smiles on this one.  51.2 for the week which is a PR by about three and my legs knew it.

onemile

I've had post appt inflammation before. But only when it was treatment for a bad injury.  I should post my ITBS graston bruise pics here. haha.   What I have going on right now is just.. I wouldn't even call it an injury...just a sort of nagging issue.  I'm thinking to go on Wednesday since that's my rest day and I have more time.

My only concern would be post appt. inflammation. If that hasn't been an issue for you, then I'd say go for it. It wouldn't hurt. And if you do have a little adhesion somewhere in your hip, I do think it could improve your performance on race day.

nice mileage PR josh!

I ran a very enjoyable 9 miles at an average pace of 8:37. It was almost effortless. Why couldn't my HM last weekend have been as easy, I coulda hit below 1:50. I know 8:37 isn't on pace for that but I wasnt pushing it at all tonight. Oh well. It was a good run, loved it.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Flinders and Jedi. I don't think I congratulated you guys yet- great races!

Good progress Cbus, and good week Josh.

Tough run for me today, about 9 miles, I felt weak and my legs were like rubber, no particular reason I can think of; stuff like this happens sometimes.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I ended up doing another 10 miles so 20 total yesterday.

onemile, hope your hip feels better.

Joshlynn, congrats.

Cbus,  ready to tackle the week?  How are you feeling?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! SRD for the most part for me with short run tonite with my son. i was going to do some strength training this morning but bed felt like a beter option this morning. Think still getting used to DST yet. Not liking it's still dark at 7am. feeling pretty good, but calves still really sore. Wearing my compression socks all day today and lots of rolling later.

Thanks for all the support with my race this weekend. Really appreciate it.

josh - nice mileage

onemile - rest that hip

cbus - glad you're feeling good again

Roll - love those runs when you flow like the river

Docket - badass!

Simon - sorry to hear runw as tough. Some days it's just like that.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  It was pouring rain this morning so I headed for the gym and the good old TM!  6 miles easy and did lots of push-ups, pull-ups, kettle bell swings, etc...between each mile.  My legs felt surprisingly good, but my ITB is feeling it now!  Didn't hurt at all during the race or running this morning, but it kinda feels like a big bruise right now...definitely need to go to PT this week!  First strength run tomorrow and I am working 24 hours so I guess I need to get up at Indy time and get it done!

Onemile:  Awesome weekly mileage...you are going to kick ass at Carmel!

Docket:  Nice 20 yesterday...you rock!

Jedi:  Sometimes sleep is just what you need!

Simon:  Sorry about the tough run...we all have them!

Roll:  Nice run...I love it when runs feel great!

CBus:  Glad you are feeling better and you got some miles in...keep listening to your body!

Josh:  Nice 18 and congrats on the mileage PR!

Dtf:  The weather was actually pretty good for the race...33 degrees (felt like 26 or 27 at race start) but a little windy 10-15 mph!  I was thinking of you this morning as I was on the treadmill because I could see my ponytail bouncing in the mirror...was actually getting on my nerves!

Indy:  Nice 17 yesterday!!

Flinders:  Hope you feel better today!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

mdawg87

Good morning!  Abs, cycling, and stretching this morning at the gym.  I was a little sore from my hilly run yesterday after not having run them in over 3 months.  Nothing related to the calf.  Just that "hey you haven't done this in a while" stiffness in the glutes and hammies.

Jedi:  You need to update your HM PR in your signature!  I love doing that!

AmiK:  Good grief you have some serious shift hours!  I guess you're kinda used to it?

Docket:  Glad to see you back out there.

cbus:  Hope you get your running mojo back this week and are feeling better.

simon/roll:  Isn't it crazy how running works sometimes?  All the stars have to align to have that "perfect" run and we all just hope it's on race day.

josh:  Congrats on the mileage PR!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

onemile

Morning!

Regarding my hip - it's not something I'm worried about. I won't be resting and it's actually better than it was a month ago despite me running more.  I probably will go in for more Graston though.

I'm not sure what I'm running tonight.  8 easy is my scheduled workout for today but I was toying w/ the idea of doing tomorrow's run instead, which is 11 w/ 3x2 miles at MP-10.  The reason I would change it is to shift everything over to give me more of a taper for my HM (next week).  BUT, the weather for tonight looks a little sketchy - rain/snow mix and I don't want to do the faster run if it's slippery out.  And my legs felt sort of tired yesterday and they aren't feeling great today.

Josh - very nice 18 miler and nice weekly mileage!

Roll - wow, nice job on the fast paced easy stuff. I can't say I've ever had an effortless run at that pace.

jedi - enjoy the rest

Amik - Thanks. I hope so!  Strength run at Indi-time sounds awful. Good luck!

mdawg - glad your calf didn't mind the hills.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

mdawg - yeah, just have not gotten around to it yet.

Good morning!  Abs, cycling, and stretching this morning at the gym.  I was a little sore from my hilly run yesterday after not having run them in over 3 months.  Nothing related to the calf.  Just that "hey you haven't done this in a while" stiffness in the glutes and hammies.

Jedi:  You need to update your HM PR in your signature!  I love doing that!

AmiK:  Good grief you have some serious shift hours!  I guess you're kinda used to it?

Docket:  Glad to see you back out there.

cbus:  Hope you get your running mojo back this week and are feeling better.

simon/roll:  Isn't it crazy how running works sometimes?  All the starts have to align to have that "perfect" run and we all just hope it's on race day.

josh:  Congrats on the mileage PR!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Rest day for me today. Like Ami, we're got pounded with rain this AM. It's tapered off some now.

Like I said, my insides feel a lot better. Now, it's just my legs. They feel a little wrecked. So, I'll run every other day this week, all easy and probably nothing more than 4 miles at a time.

Nachos, how bout them Bruins! Strange season, to say the least. But happy we won the Pac-12.

Happy running everyone!!!