Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, they are did the ultrasound today.  Hoping for some answers by tomorrow.  We lost a kitty due to chronic vomiting but we never found the cause.  I just hope there is nothing in the house making them ill.  Lily was super underweight to begin with and I think she had some cancer or something unknown to us, but when Trixie started throwing up 9 months later, I had deja vu.

Congrats Onemile on an awesome time!

Damaris-Sorry to hear about Trixie.  Chronic vomiting kitties are so hard to figure out.  Even when you have the right diagnosis, it's a challenge finding the right cocktail.  If you feel like you're not getting there fast enough, you can always ask for a referral to an internist.  It's pricey, but sometimes endoscopy or ultrasound is needed to get an answer and determine treatment.

Today 16 miles-2 mile warmup, 6 at MP, 6 at HM + 10-20 sec, then 2 mile cooldown.  70 degrees and sunny out.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Nice job Onemile!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Nice PR, onemile! Knew you could do this!

Flinders & Josh- I'm totally bummed, but what can you do?  I'm heating and putting arnica on it and then I'll be rolling and icing and taping and going to Graston and maybe even trying accupuncture.  This was the 55 mile week on Pfitz but I think I'm screwed on that now and will have no choice but to abandon the plan and do a novice level plan from hereon out- like I said, its smarting a bit right now and my ego is really wounded.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

White Lightning

Nice PR, onemile! Knew you could do this!

Flinders & Josh- I'm totally bummed, but what can you do?  I'm heating and putting arnica on it and then I'll be rolling and icing and taping and going to Graston and maybe even trying accupuncture.  This was the 55 mile week on Pfitz but I think I'm screwed on that now and will have no choice but to abandon the plan and do a novice level plan from hereon out- like I said, its smarting a bit right now and my ego is really wounded.

Yeah this running thing sure is tough.  Should we have had 50 mpw's before we started pfitz?  Everything I read says up your mileage with easy running but we are hitting 50+ mpw's for the first time with speed work and tempos and I'm thinking its a bit much.  I've got this thing on my quad and hip that just wont go away and had to miss today's run, same as most of early this week.  I think i'm going to skip intervals and tempo's and just try to complete the mileage if I can get this thing healed up.  Really sucks because I know my heart, spirit, etc... is there but my legs just can't keep up.

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 recovery miles and weights.  Expecting good news from the ultrasound, but if not, Trixie will be going under the knife.  I am just hoping nothing serious or lethal appears.

Happy Birthday, onemile!!!!!!!!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Been MIA last few days with daughter having dance competition this weekend in lancaster. I got some decent running in over the weekend though. 6.5m Sat and 9.5m Sunday. 58m for week so I will take that. No real LR last week, but got a couple 10-11 milers in alst week. Hoping to hit 60m this week. SRD today on account of the frigging snow on March 25th and stomach been bothering me last few days or so. Really Mother Nature?Smile

onemile - congrats on the PR. 2.5m is great improvement on a half. Way to tough it out in those conditions.

Josh - congratz to you as well on your new PR.

Good racing from the group all around. Go to jet as work is busy again this week.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

mdawg87

A true week of winter here in Atlanta.  Won't get out of the 40s today or tommorrow and windy.  Awesome.  It appears to be warming up for the weekend to near normal high 60s.  I hope the weather man isn't wrong.

Had a great 7+ mile run with DH on Sunday which gave me 28 miles for the week.  That's the most since the December injury.  Whee!  Also ran the last one at 7:40 pace.  DH wanted a fast finish and I couldn't resist since it'd been so long since I'd run fast.  No ill effects on the calf.  Think I'll try a true tempo run either Tuesday or Thursday.  Abs, cycling, and stretching at the gym this morning.

Docket:  Fingers crossed for good news on Trixie's results.  Poor baby!

onemile:  Congrats...again maybe?  I can't remember if I posted it yesterday or not.

Simon:  Whew...so glad you are okay.  That's scary.  I agree.  Take nothing for granted and always, always run against traffic!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Yeah this running thing sure is tough.  Should we have had 50 mpw's before we started pfitz?  Everything I read says up your mileage with easy running but we are hitting 50+ mpw's for the first time with speed work and tempos and I'm thinking its a bit much.  I've got this thing on my quad and hip that just wont go away and had to miss today's run, same as most of early this week.  I think i'm going to skip intervals and tempo's and just try to complete the mileage if I can get this thing healed up.  Really sucks because I know my heart, spirit, etc... is there but my legs just can't keep up.

Not trying to be negative, but this is EXACTLY what was happening to me when I got injured with Pfitz 18/55 five weeks out from Chicago.  My leg(s) finally gave out on me.  I did the same thing with a good build up (40+mile weeks) prior to beginning too.  I just wasn't ready for that many miles and quality combined.   Again, I think it's a great training program, but I made the leap before I had enough experience and mileage in my legs.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

onemile

Ok, I'm going to try to catch up a little but wow.

Sprinkles - Ugh.  Sorry to hear your calves/achilles are still giving you trouble. That sucks.

Joshlynn - congrats on your half! Very nice. I need to read your RR yet.

Damaris - how is Trixie doing?

Flinders - great pace on the almost 16 Smile And nice miles for the week!

Amik - too funny about you checking on the Jennifer's.  Did you guess the right one?  I meant to post sooner but after the race I ended up going to lunch with a friend and then had to drive home (the race was about 90 minutes from where I live)

Simon - scary. I've had that happen before and it gets the heartrate up!

mdawg - nice on the 7 and glad your calf seems to be agreeing with the increasing load.

Thanks for the kind words about my race, everyone!  I was feeling kinda disappointed about it yesterday but I guess I'm over it.  I just think I should have been able to run it faster.  But I guess running on tired legs and into the wind was just too much.  Oh well, what can you do?   8 easy for me tonight. I'm pretty sore and stiff so it should be great fun.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

It's spring, but you wouldn't know it if you looked at Columbus, OH. With 3-5 in. of snow on the ground, it looks as wintery as ever.

Unfortunately, I'm still sick. I think I've got Pink Eye. Hopefully, I'll get better by midweek. But that's another few days of not running. Hopefully, I come back just in time for my race.

Onemile, congrats!!!

Sprink, get well!

Josh and Mdawg, +1.

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Onemile & Cbus: Thanks for the well wishes!

Mdawg: I'm not sure this is a Pfitz thing- to be honest, I worked so much the last 3 weeks, I never hit above 43 mpw.  That was my absolute max, so I never hit 50...and I ended up having to cut some of the speedwork because I was stuck on a treadmill some of that time due to ice and running at weird times.

I'm starting to think that I screwed myself by running in the pureflows too much without my orthotics (I ditched them because I didn't want to wear them WITH support shoes), but maybeI should have been wearing them if I was wearing a more minimal shoe).  I am going to take my pure flows, my wave riders, and my orthotics to the podiatrist and see if she can mess with them to create a slight heel rise.

The fact that this pain is more in the upper right gastroc and lower left gastroc leads me to think this is just a muscle tear of some kind- a friend of mine who is a former NCAA gymnast was saying it sounds muscular.  I have no swelling, nothing is tender to the touch, and it doesn't hurt to walk...so maybe, MAYBE this isnt' AT.

Smashy!!!

You might not have any of those symptoms with AT either. But the fact that the pain is higher up the leg indicates that it is probably not AT. I don't think it's a muscle tear either, or else you most likely would have chronic pain. Can you do an eccentric heel lift without pain? My thinking is that it is "normal" wear and tear associated with the race two weeks ago, and maybe you're right that racing them in the shoe with a lower heel drop might have contributed. You're only on your second week out from the race, and depending on how hard you raced it and how ready you were for it, I could see it taking 3-4 weeks to fully recover. So, I don't think it's time to hit the panic button just yet. Maybe just continue taking it easy with all the stretching, doing eccentric heel lifts, rolling, etc. you are already doing.

Onemile & Cbus: Thanks for the well wishes!

Mdawg: I'm not sure this is a Pfitz thing- to be honest, I worked so much the last 3 weeks, I never hit above 43 mpw.  That was my absolute max, so I never hit 50...and I ended up having to cut some of the speedwork because I was stuck on a treadmill some of that time due to ice and running at weird times.

I'm starting to think that I screwed myself by running in the pureflows too much without my orthotics (I ditched them because I didn't want to wear them WITH support shoes), but maybeI should have been wearing them if I was wearing a more minimal shoe).  I am going to take my pure flows, my wave riders, and my orthotics to the podiatrist and see if she can mess with them to create a slight heel rise.

The fact that this pain is more in the upper right gastroc and lower left gastroc leads me to think this is just a muscle tear of some kind- a friend of mine who is a former NCAA gymnast was saying it sounds muscular.  I have no swelling, nothing is tender to the touch, and it doesn't hurt to walk...so maybe, MAYBE this isnt' AT.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

You might not have any of those symptoms with AT either. But the fact that the pain is higher up the leg indicates that it is probably not AT. I don't think it's a muscle tear either, or else you most likely would have chronic pain. Can you do an eccentric heel lift without pain? My thinking is that it is "normal" wear and tear associated with the race two weeks ago, and maybe you're right that racing them in the shoe with a lower heel drop might have contributed. You're only on your second week out from the race, and depending on how hard you raced it and how ready you were for it, I could see it taking 3-4 weeks to fully recover. So, I don't think it's time to hit the panic button just yet. Maybe just continue taking it easy with all the stretching, doing eccentric heel lifts, rolling, etc. you are already doing.

This is what I am thinking I can do eccentric heel lifts without pain- some soreness, yes, but that is distinct from pain.  I raced that thing hard. ..particularly the hills.  I was ready for it, but leading up to the race I hadn't been running as much as I would have liked due to work, and even had to rest the whole weekend before because of work issues.  It was also COLD the day of the race and I could NOT warm up the entire time, so my calves hurt starting on the first hill and continued until the race ended.  Typically, when it is cold, I wear compression socks to keep my tendons warm, but this time it didn't, and i had zero warmup.

Docket_Rocket

I think Pfitz is an advanced program, so maybe the buildup was not sufficient, as in timewise?  How long had you been doing 40mpw before starting Pfitz?  That could've been a reason.

Not trying to be negative, but this is EXACTLY what was happening to me when I got injured with Pfitz 18/55 five weeks out from Chicago.  My leg(s) finally gave out on me.  I did the same thing with a good build up (40+mile weeks) prior to beginning too.  I just wasn't ready for that many miles and quality combined.   Again, I think it's a great training program, but I made the leap before I had enough experience and mileage in my legs.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Trixie's ultrasound was negative.  They are still trying to get her to eat and then check her liver enzymes once more.  I don't think she will come back home today unless she eats and everything is fine (no vomit).  We'll see!

Damaris

Fundraising Page