Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

White Lightning

josh:  I haven't read anymore since getting back from vacation.  However, DH and I are going to give it a test drive.  Overall, it's not too much of a change for us.  We already eat well, but the hidden calories and mental hunger games are something we can improve on.  Using his tables and calculations, DH has around 2 lbs to lose and I have 3-4.  How about you?  What are your thoughts?

I'm giving it a go and so far this week I've noticed quite the difference in my energy levels and think I've pushed through my plateau   Following his guidelines on carb intake as an average for the week is something i've never done before which has made it easier to stay on my diet, less fluctuations day to day.  I hit 50 miles next week so we'll see how I fair energy wise and losing weight at the same time.  There were a couple of nights last night that I woke up just absolutely starving, even after I consumed 3300 calories that day.  What ever I've done has definitely shocked the system.  Still have 18 to go

Play the Game Hard!

bagopux

Couple of things to report on.

First, I took my stress test last week and it all turned out OK.  Of course, as soon as the doc explained how the test works, my first questions was, "What's the record?"  The record was 21 minutes.  I made it to 16 minutes, at which time I was running a 12 min/mile pace up an 18% grade.  If you're wondering, at 21 minutes you'd be doing 10-minute miles up a 22% grade.  And you're doing all this with about a dozen wires hanging off you.  Its a little awkward.  Anyway, the doc saw nothing unusual in the data and  my takeaway was that my issue is more an annoyance and intermittent training hindrance than a serious health issue.  So that's that for now.

Second, I ran my 10-mile race yesterday. Nice course, through the various campuses of Duke Univ.  Overcast and about 40F.  The plan was to do it as a training run with 2 mi. w/u, 6 at HMP (about 8:45) and 2 mi. c/d.  So I didn't do any real taper.  Started out a little fast.  First two miles averaged about 9:15.  After that, things really came together.  I ended up fairly comfortably increasing my pace and keeping my HR under control culminating in hitting the last two miles at 8:06 per.  Overall was 1:25:30, an 8:35/mi. pace.  Really, it couldn't have gone any better.  Hopefully this means my tempo work is paying off, so my goal race for the spring -- a half in mid-April -- could go well.

And Duke beat Miami, so its been a pretty good few days.

Rusk Runner

uhmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Go Hoosiers.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Nice!!  Graduates from IU and so did DH!

uhmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Go Hoosiers.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

Amik - You should run the half there.  Its a tough, hilly, course.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Maybe we will do that next year!!  My stepson is a student at IU so maybe he can do it with us.  He is a former cross country runner who has gotten out of shape and we have tried to encourage him to jump back in!

Amik - You should run the half there.  Its a tough, hilly, course.

Congratulations Rollcast!  We now have the exact same HM pr...lol!  Docket, glad you enjoyed the trail run!

Well, I am in good company!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

DetroitTigerFan

34 at the start of the half marathon this AM at 6:30. . 1:51:15 whcih I'll take (PR by 3 minutes). there were 1110 runners. I placed 24 in the AG and 147 in the open field.

24th....147th....8:40/m front......8:23/m back......1:51:15 chip time

ROLLCAST

56:18.0

8:40/M

54:57.9

8:23/M

36:48.1

1:51:15.9

1:51:20.7

Roll - nice PR today ! that's a pretty big HM.  What did you wear with the temperature so low today ?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

DetroitTigerFan

josh:  I haven't read anymore since getting back from vacation.  However, DH and I are going to give it a test drive.  Overall, it's not too much of a change for us.  We already eat well, but the hidden calories and mental hunger games are something we can improve on.  Using his tables and calculations, DH has around 2 lbs to lose and I have 3-4.  How about you?  What are your thoughts?

mdawg - just curious - are there any good tables / websites you'd suggest? sounds kind of interesting

Indy - hope the govt can get things worked out for your job. I know alot of people are nervous

josh - hope the weather improves for you. It's about 25F here and a normal winter i'd say. However, i looked at my training log and last year at this time we had a record warm spring including a few days at even 70 degrees. Some of the routes that i ran last march are now ice covered still.  So, this is limiting my time outside to once a week.  I'm anxious to run them but they are just too icy right now.  I'm going to try some treadmill stuff coming up to start building miles

bago - glad to hear things went well

Doesn't March madness start soon ?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Roll - nice PR today ! that's a pretty big HM.  What did you wear with the temperature so low today ?

It was CHILLY. I wore dri fit Nike shorts, long sleeve runners core/thermal, long sleeve tech, ear warmer head band, safety orange beanie, and safety orange gloves. And compression shorts. Shed the beanie and gloves around mile 7. Almost stopped and went shirtless around 11. As it approached late 40's early 50's.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Flinders- working for the gov right now?  I thought about becoming a prosecutor, but I had just closed on my apartment and couldn't take the paycut at the time- I like my group / job etc., I'm just tired this month from being super busy.

Josh- Now I am intrigued by this book - I eat pretty well save for my ice cream and red vines problem, and I"m not sure I'm willing to give it up even for the 5 vanity pounds I whine about nonstop lol.  I could go for increased energy though!

Bago- glad to hear the stress test went ok, and nice race!  I'd be trying to beat the stress test record next time!

Indiana- sports? what? LOL Smile  I went to NYU - no sports teams, but we made NYU football shirts in jest.  I try to care about March Madness for social purposes...I won a bracket pool once after running a stats program on the data once.

Roll-  Nice half marathon PR!  That's really close to where I was going into Philly when I sub-4'ed.

Me- 18 mile run today- started out flat and then headed to Central Park to take on Cat Hill, Harlem Hill, the West Side Hills and the Bridle Path (and its hills).  I got home and got slammed with a migrane - at least i know why I was feeling awful all week - typically I do feel like crap right before I get one.  Now I'm just zonked out.  I think we are going to get drinks but its gonna be OJ for me Smile  I'm skipping the 20 miler next weekend most likely as part of taper for my goal half marathon (and bc my friend's philharmonic concert is that day and I won't have a place to run it).

Happy Weekend, Donuts!  Off to eat some ice cream Smile

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

White Lightning

Fitzgerald emphasizes eating a certain amount of grams of carbs per your body weight and your training duration.  If you average 61-75 minutes of endurance training per day you need eat 5-6 grams of carbs per kg of body weight.  76-90 minutes 6-7 g/kg.

So me for example, running 50-55 miles per week should take me 8-9 hours which is 70 minutes a day average.  I weigh 168 pounds/76kg so need to eat 6 * 76 = 450 ish g of carbs a day.  I'm finding it very hard to eat this much, like eating a bowl of oatmeal before I go to bed to get my carbs up.  So far its working

So sprinkles if you are 125 pounds and workout about the same as I am, he's saying you need 340 grams of carbs a day to have the energy to get through your workouts.  Then if you want to lose or gain weight, you add/subtract protein/fat calories to create the calorie deficit you want, but keep your carb intake the same.  If you only eat 1500 calories a day, no way you are getting that many carbs.  I'm looking at my log right now and i've had 1800 calories today with only 235g of carbs and i'm a bread and tortilla eating machine so I need to get on it, smoothie here I come

Lots more in the book and some weird stuff but its a good follow up to Racing Weight.  I'm going to trust Pfitz and Fitzgerald to get to my race.

Play the Game Hard!

Good run Rollcast, always nice to set a new mark.

I am about 4 pounds over race weight at the moment but that should gradually go away over the next few weeks as I increase my mileage.

I must say I am glad I have the kind of metabolism that allows me to maintain a pretty even weight, moves up and down only slowly, and I never have gone on a diet or counted calories. Just fortunate I guess.

Ran trails over snow and ice with my son today, tough on the knees and ankles but enjoyable and fun.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ball of Fury

Bago:  Happy to hear the stress test was negative!  Now I want to go have one just to see how far I could get...lol!

Josh:  Congrats on breaking through the plateau!  I don't know if I could force myself to eat that many carbs!

Sprinkles:  Nice 18 but sorry to hear about the migraine..hope you are feeling better!

Simon:  Nice trail run with your son.  I am about 4-5 lbs heavier than I was last summer, but I have been too lazy to try to lose it!

Yucky run this morning..was supposed to be 7 easy but only got 5 done!  I got up in plenty of time (had to be at work by 6:30 so I got up at 3:45), but had some gi issues and just didn't get out of the house in time to finish 7 miles.  Truthfully, though, I was so cold by the time I finished 5, I am not sure I would have done 7 even if I had more time...it was 18 degrees and I guess I didn't dress warmly enough because I was freezing the entire time!  Last speed workout tomorrow but I am working another 32 hour shift today/tomorrow so if I don't get much sleep tonight, I may have to push it to Wednesday.  I would rather get it done tomorrow to have more recovery for my 10K Saturday but we will just see how I feel.  Hope you all have a good Monday!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Taper in full effect here. Progressive 5 miler this morning to kick-off race week. Took my legs a couple of miles to wake-up today hence the progression run. Hilly 5 miler yesterday. felt nice to keep it short on a Sunday. Just a fly-by for now as I have mtg to go to, but will be back for shouts.

Good running all!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???