Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

onemile

Roll - congrats on the HM!  And the PR!

bago - glad the stress test went well and your run too!

Sprinkles  - nice job on the 18!

Amik - I hate underdressing. It makes the whole thing miserable :/

Jedi - nice job on the progression.  I don't like tapering. For some reason I just lose any motivation to run because and start to feel like there's no point.

I got in 8.2 last night making 65 for the week. A weekly PR by about 3 miles.  My schedule says easy 6 for tonight. We're supposed to be getting a ton more snow starting tonight.  If that gets pushed back I might try to do my strength run tonight or else I'll likely be stuck at the indoor track tomorrow.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

onemile - I like the break the taper gives you. It's just taking the volume down but not losing the intensity. BIG believer in taper magic. Gotta let those legs heal up a bit so they are strong race day. Nice job on the mileage. 65mpw is good marathon training week. I've yet to hit 60m this year yet.

Jedi - nice job on the progression.  I don't like tapering. For some reason I just lose any motivation to run because and start to feel like there's no point.

Roll - nice job on the HM and the PR! Do Work!

bag - good news on stress test!

AmiK - I am so ready for longsleeve tech and shorts weather. I was mad I had to break out tights again this morning. Just too windy today. Hoping this might be last tights run until 2014.Smile

cbus - good to see you back buddy!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have an SRD today with a vet visit after work.

Off to work.  I'll check back later.  Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Good morning y'all!  Abs, cycling, and stretching at the gym this morning.  Yoga was quite refreshing last night.  May have to make that a regular Sunday night thing.  It certainly wouldn't hurt me to do it more often given my abyssmal flexibility.

Jedi, AmiK, Onemile, etc.:  I'm with you on being over cold weather.  I'm crossing my fingers the warm up we've got coming this weekend lasts and that we've seen the last of frost/freezes in the south. Forecasters seem to be thinking so, so I'm crossing my fingers.  I have the utmost respect for you folks living in the colder climates!

Josh:  I'm kind of in a quandry about how to attack the Fitzgerald plan given my injury.  I'm not running high mileage, but am running 20-25 miles a week plus other cardio, weights, etc.  Do I try a quick start or go with the regular plan???  One part I can't wrap my head around is the whole milk dairy thing.  I guess that comes from years of living in the low fat craze!

DTF:  Josh and I are talking about a book series by Matt Fitzgerald called "Racing Weight"...i.e., how to get to it.  That's where the tables/calculations I mention come from.  Josh's post above gives a little insight into it.  I believe indi also read the book and liked it.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

White Lightning

morning everyone.  Cold and still a bit snowy up here so will enjoy my SRD.  Need to drive to town and see if my paths are clear enough for my tempo tomorrow

onemile - great mileage last week.  How much higher are you going to go?

mdawg - With the whole fat dairy thing, he's just saying make sure you eat food without any additives.  When you take the fat out of dairy, you lose texture and flavor so food companies are adding different things and all of a sudden its not a "clean" food.  If you are just trying to lose a few pounds, i'd just follow his regular plan then you have a good foundation on your nutrition when you start marathon training.  I also believe that he doesn't want you to be at your racing weight except a few times a year at your goal races.

Play the Game Hard!

onemile

mdawg - what does Fitzgerald say about dairy? I eat a good amount of dairy (cottage cheese and greek yogurt FTW)

josh - I have three weeks that are 65ish on my schedule. Not planning to go higher than that.  And then the rest are 58ish.  Only 7 weeks to go til M day!

D - enjoy the rest!

White Lightning

mdawg - what does Fitzgerald say about dairy? I eat a good amount of dairy (cottage cheese and greek yogurt FTW)

josh - I have three weeks that are 65ish on my schedule. Not planning to go higher than that.  And then the rest are 58ish.  Only 7 weeks to go til M day!

D - enjoy the rest!

I believe he lets you use cottage cheese as a lean protein but dairy is no problem as long as over the course of a week you eat more veggies than fruit, more fruit than nuts/seeds, more nuts/seeds than fish/lean meats, then whole grains, dairy, refined grains, fatty meats, sweets and last fatty foods.  I struggle with eating less whole grains and more veggies.

Play the Game Hard!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Greek yogurt for FTW.Smile

D - enjoy the rest!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Flinders - thanks for heads up on course. Hoping to get at least one LR on course before race. Lot of people told me it is a PR course. Hills don't really bother me. HM this weekend is really hilly and Frederick will feel flat in comparsion.Smile

Jedi:  I'll let you know about Frederick.  At this point, it is probably about a 25% chance that I'll be able to run it.  As for the course, I thought it was fair, but not a PR course.  There were a couple of long pulls uphill in the second half that would sap your energy if you were trying to PR.  That being said, I did PR the course, but I think mine was due more to better pacing and more consistent training leading up to the race than anything else.  (However, I don't regularly run in hilly terrain, so if you're used to it, the hills might not be an issue).  One note of caution is that they finish on the racetrack at the county fairgrounds -- if the ground isn't soft, there will be lots of hoof marks baked into the dirt from the harness races they run there.  I found I had to slow down quite a bit to make sure I didn't turn an ankle on that last stretch to the finish.

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

So, I'm open for some feedback. Last week, I ended up taking two URDs (Fri. and Sat.), and running 6 on Sunday at a very slow pace (11:40ish). I did the scheduled 7 this morning @ recovery pace. Usually, when I get back to back days off, I come back pretty lively. But today, the legs were absolutely dead. My cardio felt fine. It's just my legs are totally gone. This is week 13 of the schedule, and I'm not sure what to do. Even if I feel better this week, I'm going to cut out one of the midweek quality days. But I think I need to do something more aggressive--I'm just not sure what. Take the week off? Start tapering now? Strangely, I felt confident I could achieve my goal at the end of week 11. But since then, I felt like I've been tearing myself down more than building myself up. Sheesh, what a train wreck. This is how I felt at the end of my marathon training cycle, and that race ended horribly. This is only a half-marathon, but I'm still concerned. In the end, the faster paces did me in. Any suggestions?

Roll, donuts on the PR! I'm glad you are no longer experiencing pain in your feet.

Onemile, congrats on the mileage PR. You're a monster!

Jedi, you're gonna smash your race.

Mdawg, how are the Riders treating you?

Josh, you've got me interested in this Fitz book. But I'm not sure I'm ready for all the work of counting calories, and such--we'll see.

Ami, keep at it sister! Don't let the weather play with your mind.

Sprink and Banshee, hope you're feeling better.

Hi to everyone else!!!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Cbus, Wow, I don't even know what to tell you? How far are you out from your race?  I don't have a whole lot of experience with this. Usually for me it goes weeks of feeling crappy and then magically and suddenly I feel stronger and faster.  So I haven't dealt with what you are dealing with (yet).

Smashy!!!

I'm 5 weeks out. In the end, the paces were just too aggressive. You're a more advanced runner than me, so I doubt you'll encounter this problem. In fact, I'm certain you're gonna smash Carmel right in its sugary face!

Cbus, Wow, I don't even know what to tell you? How far are you out from your race?  I don't have a whole lot of experience with this. Usually for me it goes weeks of feeling crappy and then magically and suddenly I feel stronger and faster.  So I haven't dealt with what you are dealing with (yet).

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - maybe back-off on the goal or just see how the week goes and just do the one quality workout this week. probably the HMP tempo be best.

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Awww, man Cbus, I am sorry.  Also not sure about what would help.  I've felt like that but it's been mental more than anything.  I took a week off and it helped.  My only worry is that if you do that and you still feel like that, what next

Can you take this week easy and just run short runs to keep yourself from not losing any fitness (or rest altogether), the try to piece a 4 week schedule/taper for what is left?

good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

CBus - a massage and a few days off from running. Swimming has always helped me recoop my legs.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27