Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Docket_Rocket

Have you seen the weather forecasts for next weekend?  It is cooler for me than it's right now but I'm sure you'll feel it.  Remember to take the heat and humidity into consideration.  Now get off that cold!

Happy Friday Donuts!

Banshee:  Enjoy the TM workout and the HM!  Pretty soon, we are all going to be doing Graston!

Flinders:  Nice lunch run.  I know they are a bit different than the Connects, but I really love the Flows...have had zero calf pain.

Onemile:  12 miles on the track...that takes dedication...nice pace too!

Docket:  Awesome 9 miles!  Hope your workout goes well tonight.

Sprinkles:  A team workout sounds fun...do you have a running team/coach?

Indy:  Hope you had a nice run this afternoon!  I am actually feeling pretty good today (thanks for asking!) except DH and I have finally caught DDs dreaded cold!  It's not bad, just mostly annoying to be this congested.

MDawg:  How exciting...3 days left!  I hope it goes well.

CMB:  Sorry you are feeling sick...I took 2 days off due to my ITBS and the mild cold, but decided to go ahead and run today.  It was fine except I felt a bit short of breath because my sinuses are so congested.

Roll:  Hope you are feeling better also!

CBus:  Nice 4 miler.  I had shingles on my eye last year...hurt like hell!

Zoe:  At least your feet are great...lol!  Hope the Graston works for you!

Akalei:  Nice 6 miler at a fast pace!

So, as I told Indy, DH and I have caught DDs cold (she has had it for at least 2 weeks so I guess it was inevitable), but it's not too bad yet.  Just nasal congestion and a sore throat in the morning.  I really needed to run today (took 2 days off already this week) so I opted for the gym.  I figured that was better than 30 degrees and windy...and I secretly wondered if it would help me acclimate to the possibly warm temps for next weekends race (although I don't really think so).  Anyway, I did 2 mile warm-up (10:00/mile, 3 miles at GMP (9:05 since on the TM it was either that or 9:13) and a mile cool-down so 6 total.  Felt really good the entire run, with zero aches or pains.  It was  tiny bit harder to breathe than normal because I am congested but otherwise a good run.  Still trying to stretch and foam roll twice a day and go back to chiro Monday afternoon.  I work 12 hours tomorrow and then I have a blissful 16 days off work...I don't think I have been off that long in my entire life, except for maternity leave!  Hope everyone has a great Friday and a great weekend!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Roll - That sounds like a good time for you!  Enjoy yourselves!  My wife has once or twice asked me if I would go on a cruise but, after 20 years in the Navy 13 on (sea duty) I am still not ready for it.  Maybe soon.  I heard they feed you well so be careful.

Sounds like the crud is making its way through all of us.  Get well soon!  I am just about better and grateful to be about over it.

Cbus - I am going to really go over the Hansons book again after the Spring in order to figure out all of these different paces.  I am still debating on going with a custom Hansons program though.  Who knows?  There is certainly time to think about it.

Went ahead and did a tempo run today.  2 miles warm-up @ 8:55 pace.  5 miles @ 7:27.  3 miles cool-down @ 9:00 pace.  All systems go.  Other than being a tad windy, it was a gorgeous day for a run.

Docket - How is your arm now?

Amik - Its too late to acclimate.  Just adjust as required and have a great race!  You are getting ready to do something that very few people have done.

Happy Running Everyone!!!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

Rollcast - lol, let's see if we can come up with a quinoa donut recipe that isn't fried.  I made quinoa pizza dough last night and it was surprisingly good, gluten free too

Sick people - Sorry to hear.  I'm a huge believer in sinus rinses since I had sinus surgery.

Banshee - Frustrating up here with races, they sell out 3-6 months in advance so every time I feel like running one like you are, no way to get in.  city with over a million people, we have very few races

Me - Ran a very purposeful 5.3 miles at 11:00 mm.  HR nice and low at 71% of max.  Everything creaky again.  Knee was sore, then felt fine but ankle hurt, then fine then knee again, then fine, then ITB..... I swear every time I run slow i just hurt.  Knee is starting to cause me some concerns though.  Maybe its my shoes are finally worn out, I wore my 500+ mile shoes today

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Banshee, have fun!

Roll, have fun too! Did you end up deferring Houston?

Ami, + 1 to Indi and Docket. Don't underestimate heat and humidity,especially if you are not training in it.

Indi, nice tempo.

Josh, im totally commiserating with you about your ITBS. I've been there. Just hang in there until you can see the chiro. On the upside, nice discipline on that recovery run.

Flinders, did you ever get a Garmin for Xmas?

Did I ever mention that I'm jealous of you who are doing Wineglass?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Docket:  I am hoping the forecast stays on the lower side of the current predictions but who knows!  Truthfully, I wouldn't mind the rain since it may keep things cooler.

Indy:  I know it's too late....I was mostly rationalize my wimpy choice of using the TM!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Ball of Fury

CBus:  I know the heat and humidity will definitely alter my pacing!  When we did the ToT 10-miler down there in September, I had been running in it all summer (not quite as humid as FL here, but pretty hot and humid) and I still had a tough time.  Ended up average a full min/mile slower than my HMP!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Trail Monster

Nice running all!

Indiana - Holy Tempo! I can't fathom those paces yet!

joshlynn - if it was a local race it would probably sell out. It's two hours away and in the next state plus it's super cold so I guess they'll take whoever is willing!

Ami - I'm sure it will all turn out. No use worrying now!

My heart monitor battery showed up just in time! I had a 2 mile warm up, 5 x 2 minute hill sprints @ 6% incline with 1 minute recovery, and then a half mile cool down scheduled today. I wore the HRM and got the following:

Max: 181

Avg: 142

Started at 10:20 pace and HR was around 132. Bumped up to 10:10 and HR was around 140. At 10 flat it went to 143-ish and at 9:50 it went to 149. I think this will help me sort out my questions on pacing different workouts. Of course, this was all on the treadmill at 0% incline but it gives me a baseline for each pace and the effort. The hill sprints were done around 8:20 pace and my heart rate stayed in the 170's during each except for the last one when I got up to 181. I'm going to hazard a guess that my actual max is probably around 185 and I would have gotten a little higher had I done one more hill sprint.

If you actually read my babbling then you deserve a cookie but I figured anyone who's used a HRM for training may have some input for me. Thanks for all the help you've all been offering as I try to work this out!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Well, the doctor asked me to email her the pics from 5 hours post shot (they are horrible and huge), so I expect a WOW any time soon.

Arm feels itchy and hurts in areas (swollen areas) but it's fine.  The first 24 hours are always the worse but seriously, I've never had it this bad before.

Roll - That sounds like a good time for you!  Enjoy yourselves!  My wife has once or twice asked me if I would go on a cruise but, after 20 years in the Navy 13 on (sea duty) I am still not ready for it.  Maybe soon.  I heard they feed you well so be careful.

Sounds like the crud is making its way through all of us.  Get well soon!  I am just about better and grateful to be about over it.

Cbus - I am going to really go over the Hansons book again after the Spring in order to figure out all of these different paces.  I am still debating on going with a custom Hansons program though.  Who knows?  There is certainly time to think about it.

Went ahead and did a tempo run today.  2 miles warm-up @ 8:55 pace.  5 miles @ 7:27.  3 miles cool-down @ 9:00 pace.  All systems go.  Other than being a tad windy, it was a gorgeous day for a run.

Docket - How is your arm now?

Amik - Its too late to acclimate.  Just adjust as required and have a great race!  You are getting ready to do something that very few people have done.

Happy Running Everyone!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I live in Miami.  The low will be gone out the window by the time the sun is out.  It will be something like this:

6am - 60F

7am - 62F

8am - 63F

9am - 68F

10am - 70F

That's typical of Miami.  Humidity is highest from 5-10am.  The new forecast if 58-75F.  Not trying to scare you but I know how Florida works.

Docket:  I am hoping the forecast stays on the lower side of the current predictions but who knows!  Truthfully, I wouldn't mind the rain since it may keep things cooler.

Indy:  I know it's too late....I was mostly rationalize my wimpy choice of using the TM!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

So Banshee, my question for you is...did you feel like you really maxed yourself out?  If the answer is yes, good.  But if you feel like you have pushed yourself harder in the final moments of a 5K, you might think about running one and pushing yourself in the end of the race like you never have before.  You might be suprised how high your HR will go and how much work it can take to get it there.

If you feel like you have found your max, its really just a matter of doing your math and figuring your training zones.  Even better is to find your zones using Max HR reserve.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

bagopux

rollcast, did you get Clarks are another brand?  Glad you got some relief.

Smashy!!!

Dang Docket, I hope the arm doesn't turn out to be anything serious.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Nah, it's just that they increased the dose too high for what my stupid can handle.  It's trial an error.  Next time, they'll increase as if I'm a baby.  I'm THAT allergy, ugh.

Dang Docket, I hope the arm doesn't turn out to be anything serious.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

So Banshee, my question for you is...did you feel like you really maxed yourself out?  If the answer is yes, good.  But if you feel like you have pushed yourself harder in the final moments of a 5K, you might think about running one and pushing yourself in the end of the race like you never have before.  You might be suprised how high your HR will go and how much work it can take to get it there.

If you feel like you have found your max, its really just a matter of doing your math and figuring your training zones.  Even better is to find your zones using Max HR reserve.

I plan to run a 5k with my HRM. I think I have a good idea of my max now but I don't think I actually hit it. I'm estimating 185-187 based on the formulas and my 181 today. If the battery wouldn't have died I would have worn it Monday For the NYE 5k. Now I won't race another 5k for who knows how long. But I'll be able to track data now and adjust my zones/paces a bit when I finally do race again or the next time I do speed/hill work. Thanks for the input! Oh, I will look at HR reserve too. I'm hoping I can remember to check my HR in the morning but I probably won't.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

Nah, it's just that they increased the dose too high for what my stupid can handle.  It's trial an error.  Next time, they'll increase as if I'm a baby.  I'm THAT allergy, ugh.

That's crazy!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop