Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Or should I say Grastonites?  4.5 miles @ 10:34/mile this morning.  It was freezing outside...had on 2 layers on top and bottom, plus hat and 2 pair of gloves and was still cold!  It was an ok run, I guess, with no pain (yay!) but just felt kinda sluggish and heavy.  Just wasn't feeling it, I suppose, but it's done!  Hope everyone has a great day!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

akalei

Morning, donuts!  Kind of SRD for me today--since I'm not on any set "plan," per se, those days just come and go.  But since I've already put in 19 miles this week and I'm doing 12 tomorrow (trying to keep it around 30 or less per week until some problems resolve), I figured I'd better take today off.  Going to try and talk DH into going to yoga and lifting with me this morning, though.

Docket: that sounds awful!  You can't seem to catch a break!

cbus: you should join us for Wineglass! Columbus to Corning must only be like 7 hours or so Smile  I'm excited for Wineglass, but when I got to thinking the other day about how it's a "do or die" to BQ in 2013, I got a little nervous.  I need to stop that now or I'll be a wreck come October!

Ami: Glad you got to run without pain this morning Smile Everyone has an off day, and the cold certainly didn't help, I'm sure!  But at least nothing was hurting!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

onemile

Morning guys.  My 7 last night were pretty miserable.  6 on schedule for this afternoon.  I think part of what killed me this week was running my warmups and cool downs too fast for both of my "quality" days.  I'm going to make a good effort to do them very easy this week and hopefully that will help.  Otherwise I'll try slowing down the MP a bit.  But when running the MP miles, it felt fine and MP-like, so I don't know.  I am one who runs a lot of easy miles so maybe I just need to get used to running faster stuff?  Or maybe it's ok for me to feel this beat up...I was barely able to hold the MP+2 mins per mile pace but it did fall within their range for an easy run.

mdawg87

Morning donuts!  1 hour on the stepmill this morning and stretching at the gym.  27 degrees this morning in Atlanta.  That's cold for us.  I suppose it's a silver lining that I didn't have to do a long run in those temps...which I know are northing compared to what some of you face.  I'm such a cold weather wimp!

akalei:  I understand about putting pressure on yourself to BQ.  I was so focused on that for Chicago last year that when I got injured, it was a mental battle to let that goal go.

amik:  brrrr...you're tougher than me.

onemile:  Running your easy runs and w/u and c/d miles should help you feel less tired.  Once I finally learned that, it was amazing how much better I felt.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Onemile - I think the question yoy have to answer for yourself is "are you healing from one workout before you enter the next"?  Could be you just had an off day last night.  Could be you are mentally questioning your efforts.  Or it could be that you need to slow down a tad.  Maybe you could give yourself a week more at your current plan, and assess your condition again.  If you are monitoring your heart rate, that would tell you alot more than just perceived effort.

Amik - Common taper feelings.  Sucks about the weather though.  We may well get some more bad weather here which worries me with a 16 mile GMP run scheduled tomorrow.  I might go look at shoes today and find something that runs in slush, snow, and ice better.  Pure flows in these conditions are like dipping your feet in butter and running on glass.

5 recovery miles on the treadmill this morning.  1 deg incline, 9:40 pace.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Onemile - I think the question yoy have to answer for yourself is "are you healing from one workout before you enter the next"?  Could be you just had an off day last night.  Could be you are mentally questioning your efforts.  Or it could be that you need to slow down a tad.  Maybe you could give yourself a week more at your current plan, and assess your condition again.  If you are monitoring your heart rate, that would tell you alot more than just perceived effort.

Today my legs feel SO MUCH BETTER.  And I know Hansons believe in active recovery.  7 miles seemed like overkill for a  recovery run though. We'll see if I'm recovered enough to hit my paces for my next few workouts. Maybe it's ok to feel trashed for a couple of my easy runs as long as I'm recovered enough for the next one.

I don't wear a HRM or want to.

MA runner girl

Morning donuts! Another relurk to say that I was catching up on the thread and suddenly had a MASSIVE craving for donuts... so DH is off to get me a blueberry cake donut... Thanks! Wink I'm 29 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and still running about 13-15 MPW. Feeling good and hoping I can keep it up through the end now... just 11 weeks until my due date! Reading this thread makes me anxious to get back to training for something.

Onemile - Just want to +1 the others on slowing down the easy runs and warm up/cool downs. I used to be really injury prone, but when I finally learned to slow down when I should the injuries stopped... It's tough when you are used to running certain paces and are a slave to the garmin (like I was), but so worth it! Good luck!

PRs: 5k - 21:22, half marathon - 1:39:43, marathon - 3:37:16

onemile

Onemile - Just want to +1 the others on slowing down the easy runs and warm up/cool downs. I used to be really injury prone, but when I finally learned to slow down when I should the injuries stopped... It's tough when you are used to running certain paces and are a slave to the garmin (like I was), but so worth it! Good luck!

I actually do run slow for my easy runs and I NORMALLY run slow for my wu/cds.  But this week I did them at the track and I got carried away.  And I learned my lesson. hehe

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning, all.

I'm taking a rest day today. Yesterday was 3.5 @ 9:02 (this felt really slow, so I might have had some much faster portions in there) at lunch, and gym after work for about an hour-fifteen: lots of stretching and rolling at the beginning and end, and 45 minutes of leg work.

An issue I'd like some thoughts on:

My right quad and hamstring felt wonky about halfway through my run yesterday -- like it was really tired.  The ache in my quad was above my knee by about three inches and on the inside, and the hamstring ache probably was more likely a hip adductor muscle.  The tired-like ache was gone by 40 minutes after the run, and I had no issues while at the gym after work.  No idea what it was; it happened the day before yesterday, too, and same result.  I'm wondering if I am waking up muscles that aren't used to being used (i.e. My form has been not so great, and I had been compensating, but now that I am working on my form, I am using the muscles I should be using yet they are under-trained).  Thoughts?  I have seriously neglected core work, so the issue could be a flow-down issue from a very weak core, too.  (One of my running resolutions this year was to focus on the little things that will help me get better and be able to run more...strength training is one of them.  I did a very light core workout for the first time in six months on Thursday and was really, really sore Friday and still have some soreness today...So, yeah, I need to work on that).

As all of this relates to training for the full I signed up for in mid-March; I'm not going to be in any shape to race it, but I'll be at the point, hopefully, that I can run it as a fun run/LR. The race course runs past my front door, so, it isn't like it is going to be expensive or time-consuming to get to.  And if it turns out to have been a really poor idea, I can DNF by stepping off the course at my house.  I'm on a WTF training plan because I knew I had more important things to work on this winter, namely getting stronger, working out kinks in my form that were holding me back, and getting over injuries.  I am toying with shifting the entire plan to target a goal race of a 10-miler in late April, basically it would be marathon-like with LRs (other than my fun run marathon) topping out at 16-17 miles and more focus on faster things (assuming I don't blow up).  Ideas are appreciated.  I don't really want the structure of a formal plan, but I am thinking about something along the lines of this:  M: recovery; T: hill/interval; W: easy/MLR; R: tempo/fartlek; F: XT/recovery; Sa: LR; Su: off.  Life intervening might make the LR on Sundays some time, with Monday then being off, or I might run a short recovery run on Sundays and take Mondays off.

cbus: I haven't gotten the Garmin yet.  I'll probably bite the bullet one of these days, but there is no timeline.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

Good that you listen to your body.  Some push on throughout the whole training and then wonder why their marathon went badly.  Great job!

I actually do run slow for my easy runs and I NORMALLY run slow for my wu/cds.  But this week I did them at the track and I got carried away.  And I learned my lesson. hehe

Morning!  I did 11 miles in 72F and 97% humidity, no albuterol, and the pace was faster than the Berlin Marathon.  I don't understand asthma at all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I get the same issues and my weak part is the adductors.  I do inner thigh exercises to work the area.

Morning, all.

I'm taking a rest day today. Yesterday was 3.5 @ 9:02 (this felt really slow, so I might have had some much faster portions in there) at lunch, and gym after work for about an hour-fifteen: lots of stretching and rolling at the beginning and end, and 45 minutes of leg work.

An issue I'd like some thoughts on:

My right quad and hamstring felt wonky about halfway through my run yesterday -- like it was really tired.  The ache in my quad was above my knee by about three inches and on the inside, and the hamstring ache probably was more likely a hip adductor muscle.  The tired-like ache was gone by 40 minutes after the run, and I had no issues while at the gym after work.  No idea what it was; it happened the day before yesterday, too, and same result.  I'm wondering if I am waking up muscles that aren't used to being used (i.e. My form has been not so great, and I had been compensating, but now that I am working on my form, I am using the muscles I should be using yet they are under-trained).  Thoughts?  I have seriously neglected core work, so the issue could be a flow-down issue from a very weak core, too.  (One of my running resolutions this year was to focus on the little things that will help me get better and be able to run more...strength training is one of them.  I did a very light core workout for the first time in six months on Thursday and was really, really sore Friday and still have some soreness today...So, yeah, I need to work on that).

As all of this relates to training for the full I signed up for in mid-March; I'm not going to be in any shape to race it, but I'll be at the point, hopefully, that I can run it as a fun run/LR. The race course runs past my front door, so, it isn't like it is going to be expensive or time-consuming to get to.  And if it turns out to have been a really poor idea, I can DNF by stepping off the course at my house.  I'm on a WTF training plan because I knew I had more important things to work on this winter, namely getting stronger, working out kinks in my form that were holding me back, and getting over injuries.  I am toying with shifting the entire plan to target a goal race of a 10-miler in late April, basically it would be marathon-like with LRs (other than my fun run marathon) topping out at 16-17 miles and more focus on faster things (assuming I don't blow up).  Ideas are appreciated.  I don't really want the structure of a formal plan, but I am thinking about something along the lines of this:  M: recovery; T: hill/interval; W: easy/MLR; R: tempo/fartlek; F: XT/recovery; Sa: LR; Su: off.  Life intervening might make the LR on Sundays some time, with Monday then being off, or I might run a short recovery run on Sundays and take Mondays off.

cbus: I haven't gotten the Garmin yet.  I'll probably bite the bullet one of these days, but there is no timeline.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 6.14 @ 9:47, which is a deceptively low avg. because most of my miles was around 9:55-10:00, and then I put in a fast finish, which brought the avg. down.

Akalei, I totally considered Wineglass, and rationalized the 7 hr drive. But in the end, I just couldn't fathom that drive time with the 3 kids. I once drove with the family to NYC, and I LOATHED driving through PA on the turnpike. But at that time we only had one child. You guys will just have to have fun for me. What problems were you referring to in your post? As for te BQ, just try to focus on doing your best.

Zoe, how's te leg? And did I read your post right that te chiro only worked on one leg? Are you eventually gonna have him work on bth?

Flinders, the quad ache sounds like ITBS to me. I'm not sure about the hammy pain. But I'm thinking these aches and your PF are all related. There might e some compensation going on. Or it might be the strands and bands of fascia that are affecting all tese areas in your legs. One word: graston. I don't really have any thoughts about the race plans, especially if you aren't going to race the marathon. Regarding the Garmin, if you are a Costco member you can get the 410 on pretty steep discount because they just got in the 610.

onemile, I think you already figured it out, but I'll just reiterate a few things. Not only your wu and cd, but also jog your recovery intervals. The cool down, run it very slow, around recovery pace. Treat it not as a cool down from the workout but as preparation for the next day's run (a Pfitz idea, ahem). But you are also correct that it's okay to do those easy miles on thrashed legs, so long as you recover along the way. So run those as easy as need be to recover. Last, you might have to adjust your MP pace. This is only the beginning of the program, and if you are already trouble recovering, its only going to get tougher. But try running the easier stuff easier before you alter your quality pace.

Ami, nice job on your run. You might feel sluggish, but that's normal during taper. Just focus on getting recovered. You can also throw in some GMp miles to shake the cobwebs off.

MA, welcome back!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei- I stayed in one of the Staybridge Suites at the NJ half last year and it was nice- might do that too.  Ugh hate the 2 - nights thing, I don't need this race to cost me an arm and a leg.  Ther'es not THAT much to do in Corning on a Sunday night!

AmiK- I belong to a team but I dont' go to practice often because the timing doesn't fit with my schedule.  We have a coach.  I'm still doing Pfitz though- I'm kind of an intermediate member of the team- everyone else is either running 10:00 miles or BQing , so I mostly train on my own right now.

Rollcast- drive by ... perhaps a "crop duster"?

Me: URD today.  I'm feeling tired so I slept in.  Training starts next week.  All my runs have to be easy anyway or I could throw off my blood tests.  I decided to go see a sports nutritionist on Tuesday- I'm curious as to what she recommends. I'm a bit worried that I'm not eating properly for my training level, especially doing Pfitz.  I don't have the energy I normally do lately.  It might be related to being stuck on the treadmill due to my back issues- I have to run flat and on soft surfaces for as long as I can get the pain to stay away for a week.  so far so good.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

DetroitTigerFan

Good afternoon donuts. Hope everyone who is sick feels better - remember that GU's have vitamin C Smile

Nothing like a 10 mile run in 19 degree weather !  I've been using lens wipes with anti-fog on them. It worked pretty good but started to get a little iffy after an hour. I ran by a Tim Hortons - it smelled so good - i'm not sure if the cold weather helps make the smell stronger - lol. Have you ever run by a restaurant that smells good or has a good old greasy hamburger smell ? lol

cbus - thanks for your comments on Hansons - i'm going to take a peek in that thread

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Canuck

Morning all.  Decided to run to and from the gym this morning - I had a personal training appointment.  Ended up being 7.5 miles total.  I had to skip my 6 miler yesterday, as my PF was a bit sore from the Graston and I didn't want to aggravate it (this is why I needed to drag my butt out of bed in the morning!).  Good news is it felt better than it has all week on my run this morning.  I will add a few miles to tomorrow's run as it is just an easy 8 on the schedule.  I have another Graston appointment next week on Friday so I might switch my rest day to Friday instead of

Wednesday.

Cbus - it was my first appointment so by the time he'd finished evaluating me, there were only about 10 mins left, so he just did a bit on my left leg - which is the tighter one.  My next appointment is an hour and no evaluation necessary so he'll be doing both legs as well as adjusting my SI joint.

ami - brr, that sounds cold - it is 45 and rainy here today.

akalei - enjoy the yoga.

onemile - sounds like that cumulative fatigue they talk about!  I'm sure with this plan there will be quite a few "easy" days that feel like that.

mdawg - I'm impressed you can stay on the stepmill for an hour, I find that thing hard.

indiana - speedy tempo yesterday.  I've heard that about the pure flows, sounds like some alternate shoes might be a good idea.

Docket - nice run.

Flinders - sounds like you have a number of imbalances - so you'll definitely feel it as they work themselves out.  You might want to consider seeing a personal trainer for a session or two - a good one can assess where your weaknesses are and give you some exercises to work on them.

Hi sprinkles and DTF!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)