Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Ball of Fury

Happy Sunday Donuts!

MDawg:  Nice crosstraining workout!  I don't think our gym  has a stepmill...have heard great things about it though.

Indy:  I really love my PF 2s....so much so that I actually considered running the marathon in them, but decided to be conservative and go with the Wave Riders.

Docket:  Hope your migraine/nausea is better and you get your run in.  The forecast for next weekend is looking just blah...weather channel says low 59 and high of 79...yuck!  Remind me, are doing Goofy or just the full?

Last longish run of the taper today.  I did 10 miles with 8 of them around 9:55/mile and 2 @ GMP (9:13 and 9:04 respectively).  Felt really pretty good throughout the run, except the wind pick up quite a bit around mile 6 (15 mph) so that sucked but other than that, no pain and legs/lungs felt great.  A couple slight twinges on the hills but that's it so I was happy.  The cold is just very minor congestion at this point so hopefully, it stays that way!

Question:  Has any run with a pace team before?  I can't decide if I just want to line up near the 4:00 team and stay near them or  if I want to actually sign up and run with them.  On the one hand, it might be nice to run with other to take my mind off the whole thing, but on the other, I am completely used to running alone so I don't know if it would be an annoyance or not.  Thoughts?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Morning guys. Or afternoon, I suppose.

Josh - that pace bunny has been on my ass all week. I think I finally ran enough to get him to back off :P  Re; pacing... I ran very conservatively my first marathon. I want to be a little more aggressive this time around (not delusional but I do want to ride the line)

mdawg - an hour on the elliptical? wow. I don't know if I could do it.

cbus - nice job on the 8!

docket - sounds like a tough workout. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Amik - I ran just behind the pace group in Chicago. (4:30).  It was nice seeing them as a reference but I didn't hang with the group because I really like running alone.  I'd consider running near the pace group at Carmel if they have one for my goal time.

Got my 10 done at 9:07 pace. Wasn't sure I could do it based on the last two days but apparently there's a method to the Hansons madness and I was recovered enough to pull it off.

Rusk Runner

Shout Out to Cbus!!!!!  Good week of running with no injury problems!  I am super psyched for you and that accomplishment!  Keep it going Bro, Keep in going.

Amik - I ran both marathons in Pureflows.  They have more than enough cushion to protect your feet.  I guess the only question is how many long runs did you do in them.  When I transitioned to the Flows I did long runs in them and shorter runs in the Ghosts.  As to your pace group question; I only have one experience with a pace group and it was not satisfactory.  They were banking time and finished early.  From that day I vowed that I would never run anyone elses race again.  There are so many people with positive experiences with pace groups, but for me I have come to realize that the coaching is over after the last training run.  Heck, with GPS, pace bands, etc.... I am not sure pace groups are all that important anymore anyway.  If you are not signed up for a pace group, they are not going to tell you to keep your distance and you cant run with us!  So you can dog tail them, converse with them, or whatever you want to do anyway.

Hit the hills today for a 16 mile GMP run.  5 miles w/u, 1 mile c/d @ 8:48 avg pace (w/u was progressively speeding up to GMP).  10 miles GMP @ 8:08 avg pace.  Average HR was at 83% HRR.  This is in the right zone, but would have been much lower on a somewhat level course.  I have concluded that 8:15 to 8:10 should be an acceptable goal pace.  Of course, I could be wrong.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

I'm doing the Goofy. Big grin

As to the pace group, I think with this weather, if you stay with the 4 hour pace group, I predict you'll walk a great portion of the second half.  I think you have a chance at a 4-4:05 but with the mid 70s we'll have for most of the race, I don't recommend you shooting for it from the beginning.

Happy Sunday Donuts!

MDawg:  Nice crosstraining workout!  I don't think our gym  has a stepmill...have heard great things about it though.

Indy:  I really love my PF 2s....so much so that I actually considered running the marathon in them, but decided to be conservative and go with the Wave Riders.

Docket:  Hope your migraine/nausea is better and you get your run in.  The forecast for next weekend is looking just blah...weather channel says low 59 and high of 79...yuck!  Remind me, are doing Goofy or just the full?

Last longish run of the taper today.  I did 10 miles with 8 of them around 9:55/mile and 2 @ GMP (9:13 and 9:04 respectively).  Felt really pretty good throughout the run, except the wind pick up quite a bit around mile 6 (15 mph) so that sucked but other than that, no pain and legs/lungs felt great.  A couple slight twinges on the hills but that's it so I was happy.  The cold is just very minor congestion at this point so hopefully, it stays that way!

Question:  Has any run with a pace team before?  I can't decide if I just want to line up near the 4:00 team and stay near them or  if I want to actually sign up and run with them.  On the one hand, it might be nice to run with other to take my mind off the whole thing, but on the other, I am completely used to running alone so I don't know if it would be an annoyance or not.  Thoughts?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

akalei

Hi, Donuts!

cbus: can't say I blame you.  Heck, the turnpike coming from out west (Pitt to HBG) takes FOR-EV-ER as it is, can't imagine with 3 kids (but P.S., wouldn't I-80 be easier to get to NY from where you're at?  Not that I ever drive it, just assuming.

Sprinkles: Agreed on the Sunday in Corning.  I had thought of checking out wineries in the area Sunday afternoon and staying Sunday night, but my clerkship is *supposed* to be over at the end of August/beginning of September, so I don't know that I would be able to take that Monday off, wherever I'm at.

AmiK: I did Steamtown in the PureFlows and they were great! Comfortable and light.  Though I tend to stick with one pair of shoes for everything, which I know most people don't.  Also, re: pace groups.  I started Shamrock with one and, since it was my first marathon, couldn't keep up after about 10 miles.  However, I know the group leaders are generally pretty good about boosting morale and what not, so it could be fun if you want that!

Josh: I'm trying out my pasta maker attachment for my mixer tonight for the first time... glad I know someone I can ask if I mess it up royally! Smile

As for me, did 12 @ 8:45 overall today, but my first two miles were 9:50 and 9:30, respectively, because the trail had patches of packed snow.  I think I ever-so-slightly tweaked my knee at one point.  Need to stretch well tonight.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Ball of Fury

Jag and Akalei:  Nice speedy run today!  My concern with the PF was the same one you brought up...I have only done a couple longer runs in them.  I have done one 16 miler and a couple 8-10 milers.  They have felt great, but since I have only had them for about a month, I was a bit concerned making the leap to race day.  As far as the pace group, I am not huge on running with others, but since I tend to go out to fast in races, I thought maybe the pace group would help me  hold back.

Docket:  I figured you were!  I do know the heat will have an effect, but I am not sure what to do with my pacing.  I don't want to go out to fast, but I also don't want to always feel like I have to "catch up!"  I hoped the 4:00 pace group would help me try for even effort/splits.  What do you suggest?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Indi, thanks for the shout out. And yes, I consider myself back on schedule for spring half training, and I'm definitely in for a fall full.

Onemile, awesome LR. Yes, the Hansons do know what they're doing. I think taking those two easy reasy between the Tempo and the LR EASY is key. Looking forward to seeing how this week goes for you.

Ami, I would talk to the pace leader first. If you hear the words, "bank time," then I'd forget about hanging with them.

Akalei, I-80 faster? Maybe...but I'd have to first know what that is! We drove to NYC our first year in Columbus, so we didn't know the routes very well. We also wanted to stop in Philly for a visit (so disappointed). On the way back, we wanted to stop in Pitt, which we loved. We also stopped in Harrisburg on the way back for lunch, which was really different from both Pitt and Philly. Hope your knee is okay!

Docket, nauseous? Maybe you're pregnant! Big grin

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Hi all,

Good to see how well each of you are doing.

I'm back in motion, 20 miles this week all around 9:50 and all on the dreadmill.  I'm happy to be moving again and starting to feel the juices flowing.

Happy and healthy week ahead to you.

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

I would throw the 4 hour goal out the window if the weather is above 70F during the race (and we will only know that by Friday).  Otherwise, I would start slow and pick up afterwards.  Seeing the weather forecast, I suspect each one of us will come in 10-15 minutes off pace.  If you start too fast, your fade might increase.  Can you repost your PRs and how recent they are?  I forgot.

Jag and Akalei:  Nice speedy run today!  My concern with the PF was the same one you brought up...I have only done a couple longer runs in them.  I have done one 16 miler and a couple 8-10 milers.  They have felt great, but since I have only had them for about a month, I was a bit concerned making the leap to race day.  As far as the pace group, I am not huge on running with others, but since I tend to go out to fast in races, I thought maybe the pace group would help me  hold back.

Docket:  I figured you were!  I do know the heat will have an effect, but I am not sure what to do with my pacing.  I don't want to go out to fast, but I also don't want to always feel like I have to "catch up!"  I hoped the 4:00 pace group would help me try for even effort/splits.  What do you suggest?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Angry

Indi, thanks for the shout out. And yes, I consider myself back on schedule for spring half training, and I'm definitely in for a fall full.

Onemile, awesome LR. Yes, the Hansons do know what they're doing. I think taking those two easy reasy between the Tempo and the LR EASY is key. Looking forward to seeing how this week goes for you.

Ami, I would talk to the pace leader first. If you hear the words, "bank time," then I'd forget about hanging with them.

Akalei, I-80 faster? Maybe...but I'd have to first know what that is! We drove to NYC our first year in Columbus, so we didn't know the routes very well. We also wanted to stop in Philly for a visit (so disappointed). On the way back, we wanted to stop in Pitt, which we loved. We also stopped in Harrisburg on the way back for lunch, which was really different from both Pitt and Philly. Hope your knee is okay!

Docket, nauseous? Maybe you're pregnant! Big grin

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Oh, AmiK, if you trained with a HRM, I would bring it up and look at your HR closely during the race.  If you can sustain your MP heart rate (not pace) without issue, I would run by that.  It's a great indicator of weather and how you're doing through it.  Before the sun goes up, the humidity is at its highest and in Miami, it's close to 100% from 5-7am, lowering to 80% by 10am.  If you encounter those numbers too, the pace will slow down.  If humidity is low, I think your chances are better.

This is Tuesday hourly forecast.  The temps are not really what worries, but the humidity.  We're probably going to have this on race day (if we're lucky):

6 am

Partly Cloudy

60°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>60° </dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>100%</dd></dl> PRECIP:<dl><dd>0%</dd></dl> WIND:<dl><dd>NNE at 6 mph</dd></dl>

7 am

Partly Cloudy

61°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>61°</dd></dl> HUMIDITY:<dl><dd>100%</dd></dl> PRECIP:<dl><dd>0%</dd></dl> WIND:<dl><dd>NNE at 6 mph</dd></dl>

8 am

Partly Cloudy

63°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>63°</dd></dl> HUMIDITY:<dl><dd>97%</dd></dl> PRECIP:<dl><dd>0%</dd></dl> WIND:<dl><dd>NNE at 6 mph</dd></dl>

9 am

Partly Cloudy

66°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>66°</dd></dl> HUMIDITY:<dl><dd>93%</dd></dl> PRECIP:<dl><dd>0%</dd></dl> WIND:<dl><dd>NE at 6 mph</dd></dl>

10 am

Partly Cloudy

70°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>70°</dd></dl> HUMIDITY:<dl><dd>84%</dd></dl> PRECIP:<dl><dd>0%</dd></dl> WIND:<dl><dd>NE at 7 mph</dd></dl>

Damaris

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

Going Columbus to NYC, going via the turnpike or going via 80 is probably not much different.  80 basically goes from Cleveland straight to NYC.  You either drive across the southern half of PA on the turnpike, then cut up to NYC, or cut up to 80, then drive across the north half of PA and straight into NYC

From Columbus to Corning, you'd probably take whatever the highway is that goes from Columbus to Cleveland (can't remember the number), cross just the very tip of PA up by Erie, and hop into NY state right there, and drive across it on I-86, which takes you all the way to Corning.

I've done Ithaca to Cleveland via that route a few times, which is roughly 6 hours, so I'd guess that Corning to Columbus is somewhere between 6 and 7.  No PA turnpike involved, but it's not any more exciting, LOL.  At least they don't make you pay money for the boring Smile

My family used to do the 7 hour trek from NJ to Pittsburgh on the turnpike every year at Christmas when I was a kid.  And when I lived in Indiana, I drove to my parents' house multiple times, which basically involved getting on I-70 near Indianapolis, driving it until it hit then PA turnpike, then driving the turnpike until it hits NJ.  I am more familiar than I'd like to be with PA roads Smile

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Saturday 10K race report: alarm set for 4:15, out of the house by 5pm. Drove to Jersey City to park and ride PATH and subway to get to the bib pick-up at NYRR offices on 89th Street. Arrived at about 6.45. Cold, I would say around 30-32, but with a windchill factor taking it down to mid to high 20. The streets and avenues in Manhattan funnel the wind, but once you get into Central Park, most of the wind disappears.

Having no particular goal, I set off pretty conservatively, and finished the first mile in 8:45. Warmed up and the density of runners reduced, I picked up the pace mile 2, but was still surprised to clock 8:03. Mile 3 contained a brute of a hill, but I cannot help making a big effort in hills, and clocked 8:18 for mile 3. Mile 4 started with a second hill just after the big one, and that one really slowed me down, as did the remaining ups and downs: 8:40. I was a little dispondant when I saw that mile time on the watch, but then I figured that if I could do the last two miles in 8:10, a sprint over the last 0.2 would actually bring me pretty close to my PR of 52:00. Morale was assisted by the first mile and a half of the 2.2 being pretty flat or even descending, but I knew also that the last 0.75 contained a couple of climbs. What the heck, I decided to go for it, and clocked 8:07 and 8:08 for miles 5 and 6. Ran the last quarter mile at 7:39, and finished at 51:54, a PR of 6 seconds, but I will take that with pleasure, considering that it was not an easy flat course, and my intention at the start was just a good workout.

Sunday: 14-mile LR. if you have problems running your LR slow enough, try doing it after a 10K race. Works wonders: average pace 10:20!

Shoes: currently running with two different pairs of Brokks Glycerine 9; one pair at 500+, it's probably time to retire them (although I may keep for soft surfaces) and introduce a new pair. THinking of trying the Nimbus for a change. Anyone had any experience with these?

Pace groups: prefer to run at my own pace, finding and following a pace group is just an additional stress. I can understand people doing this from a social angle, but I am a silent runner, so not great company!

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Nice PR, Two-foot!

Thanks for all who commented on my various issues.  Cbus, the quad twinge is on the inside of the leg; were it on the outside I'd  think ITB.  I didn't run today or yesterday.  Given where the residual soreness is, I think this issue is hip/core weakness:  the muscle that feels slightly sore today is a hip flexor.  Zoe, I've considered a couple of sessions with a personal trainer, but in my case, I haven't darkened the doors of my gym for anything other than cardio machines and the pool since last May, so I don't want to pay a trainer to tell me to do all of the things I know I need to do anyway.  If nothing improves with a month or so of work, I do plan on doing a couple of sessions with a trainer.

So, I'll consider myself on the DL until I sort these things out.  I did check about my March full and possibly downgrading.  It is a RnR.  The website says just run the half if you want if you've paid for the full.  So that lets me have the ultimate game-time decision: peel off with the half-ers at mile 12 if I'm not feeling it, or continue on it things have gone well.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Ami- I ran with a pace group at the wineglass Half and it was a godsend. I stuck with them for half the race and then made it my mission to lose them and break 1:50. Worked great. I would not do it for marathon yet because I am not confident in estimating how fast I can run that distance yet.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55