Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Smashy!!!

This week kicks off our goal races, peeps!!! Ami, Docket, Jojo, and Braycon are all heading to Orlando to smash Mickey's face right open. Hang in everyone through this last week of taper. Remember you can't do anything to improve your race. Just fine tune all of your rituals and plans. Travel safely, and stress free. Don't try anything new on race day. And have a smashing good time! We'll be rooting for all of you!!!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

bagopux

All of you talking about running past food smells - I ran past Panera Bread, Leeann Chin (fast food Chinese), a Mexican restaurant, Taco Bell, and then one big intersection where I was within smelling range of Chipotle, Smashburger, Burger King, Outback, and Arby's.  I seem to pass food pretty regularly, particularly this time of year when I need to stick to the bigger roads since the sidewalks there have a better chance of being plowed.  Some days, it makes me want to puke.  Others, it makes me hungry.  Yesterday I was HUNGRY - I think it was Smashburger that was grilling onions and it smelled so. good. at mile 15 when I passed it.

I ran a 10k once that ran us right by the local Krispy Kreme Donut shop as they were baking the morning batches not once, not twice, but three times!  Totally unfair!

They do a race in town called the Krispy Kreme Challenge.  Run 2.5 miles, down a dozen doughnuts, and run back.  Roughly 2400 calories.  Maybe that should be the premier race of this forum!  This year's race is Feb. 9.

Rusk Runner

Cbus - Baclava is delicious. I dont think I would wear it for a mask.  Have you given some thought to what I said about why I was waiting another cycle to start Hansons training?

Sprinkles – I am very interested in your first go around with Pfitz.  Please be descriptive in how you feel about your training.  (make your log public?)

My legs are feeling suprisingly good today.  I am adapting to MRT much differently this cycle.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Cbus - Baclava is delicious. I dont think I would wear it for a mask.  Have you given some thought to what I said about why I was waiting another cycle to start Hansons training? 

No, I swear, they're called Baclavas!!! You wear them on your face, like those counter-terrorists special forces guys.

I remember you saying that you were going to wait. But what did you want me to think about?--I must've missed that part.

cmb4314

Banshee - I missed that you got a PR too - congrats!  I agree with Cbus that you have a sub-2 in you, particularly once you have the insane endurance from all those marathons and ultras that are in your sig Smile

Cbus - I have never worn a balaclava, I just usually suck it up and gradually adjust to the cold on my face.  I have an unnatural aversion to having my face covered, it makes me claustrophobic or something. I especially hate the way that my breath makes it all moist and warm underneath a scarf or something.  Blech.  Really, it didn't bother me at all while I was out there, I just noticed it when I came inside.  I think both the lips and nose were made worse from the fact that I have a head cold right now, so I was slightly pre-chapped from blowing my nose so much.

Bago - I have heard of that Krispy Kreme race.  I think it would make me puke Dead

Also, to add onto what Cbus said - good luck all that are racing this weekend!  I totally wish I was going to Disney with you all.  Not that I feel like running a marathon this weekend, but heck if I wouldn't enjoy a good Disney trip Joking

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

I have an unnatural aversion to having my face covered, 

For some reason, this line made me laugh out loud. It should be your signature or something. But if that's true, then you could never be a  ninja...

Rusk Runner

Cbus - Its balaclava Wink.  I had given you specific reasons as to why I was going to wait another cycle to do the Hansons plan.  You said it was making you think.  I was just wondering if you had come to any conclusions.  When you talked about Pfitzers getting that extra SRD I thought about the reasons I had previoulsy metioned as to why I would do another cycle on 18/55 first.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Cbus - Its balaclava Wink.  I had given you specific reasons as to why I was going to wait another cycle to do the Hansons plan.  You said it was making you think.  I was just wondering if you had come to any conclusions.  When you talked about Pfitzers getting that extra SRD I thought about the reasons I had previoulsy metioned as to why I would do another cycle on 18/55 first.

Isn't a balaclava a cookie? Joking (Just kidding--I'm just trying to hide my embarrassment.)

As for Pfitz v. Hansons....hmm, I still think it's easier to spread those miles out over 6 days. I did feel like taking a day off today, but that would mean I would have to squeeze in 6 miles somewhere in the week, and that comes with its own issues.

bagopux

I have never worn a balaclava, I just usually suck it up and gradually adjust to the cold on my face.  I have an unnatural aversion to having my face covered, it makes me claustrophobic or something. I especially hate the way that my breath makes it all moist and warm underneath a scarf or something.  Blech.  Really, it didn't bother me at all while I was out there, I just noticed it when I came inside.  I think both the lips and nose were made worse from the fact that I have a head cold right now, so I was slightly pre-chapped from blowing my nose so much.

I did a 20-miler once with temps in the 20s and a stiff breeze.  Someone told me that it helps to smear some vaseline or a similar ointment on your face.  So I tried it.  It really did help reduce the effect of the wind.  Very popular with the cyclists I'm told.  They got a fancy-shmancy name for it too: embrocating.

And by the way, I'm sure I have worn baklava at some point.  I'm a messy eater Smile

Canuck

Cbus - Baklava is a delicious Greek dessert made of filo pastry, honey and nuts.  I don't do anything special with my shoes when it rains, there isn't much point, my feet are going to get wet no matter what.  I rotate about 5 different pairs of shoes at a time, so I can allow them a couple of days to dry out completely if they get really wet.  I also wear Smartwool socks most of the time - wool is better for keeping your feet warm if they get wet.

Mdawg/Indy - the Seahawks are a scary proposition for any team.  They actually finished the year as the top ranked team in the league on Football Outsiders, a really good stats site.  Top 4 in all of defense, offense and special teams.  Atlanta at least has the home field though, the Seahawks at home are amazing.

6 easy for me today.  Going to run at lunch as I'm planning to watch the BCS Championship Game tonight (it's on at 5:30 here).  Also need to do some yoga and foam rolling tonight while I'm watching the game.

On the subject of 6 days a week vs. 5, today would be an SRD on a Pfitz plan, but getting in an easy 6 instead isn't much of a hardship as it takes me just under an hour to run 6 miles at my easy pace.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

onemile

Morning!

Indiana - nice job on the 16 yesterday. Speedy pace and with hills even!

Docket - Sorry to hear the weather for Goofy looks yucky.  Nice job on the 9 yesterday.

Akalei - speedy 12 yesterday!  8:45 overall? wow.

Strider - treadmill only? Ick!

Two-foot - congrats on the 10k PR!

Banshee - congrats on the PR!

zoe- nice job on the 12 yesterday.  I'm interested to see what you think of Hansons when you start the quality work.  so far for me, it's been harder than I expected.

mdawg - hope your calf is feeling better.  Graston really fixed mine quickly!

cmb - nice job on the 20 yesterday!  Sun makes all the difference to me.

cbus- I have been running 6 days a week for the last 6 months but the faster paces are wearing me down quickly!

6 easy for me tonight also.

White Lightning

TFS / Banshee - Great PR's!!!

Dream - Nice miles last week

Cbus - Nice week, glad you've turned the corner.  My winter running jacket has a bacalava built into the hood, very convenient

Docket - Great week with great paces.

Me - Looking for an easy 6 this afternoon when it finally warms up.  My knee is actually my other knee, on the back inside like i've strained a muscle.  Feels better today.  Went searching for the Adrenaline 13's and they just aren't available in Canada yet so I have to wait until a family member fly's back from the states.  My LRS said they think 2 months until they get them, they typically get models 3-4 months after released in the states.  Might just pick up another pair of 12's for the time being

Play the Game Hard!

White Lightning

I swear to god I'm going to throw this HR monitor into the river.  This whole spiky thing is pissing me off.  Think I'm going to go back to the hard strap and see if its any better.

Anyways, now that that's out of my system... Easy 6.4 miles @ 9:59, 15 F was pretty cold.  When my HR strap was working, HR was nice and solid.  The whole Vaseline on the face worked pretty good.  Leg held up through the run

Play the Game Hard!

Trail Monster

Woohoo Docket, Ami, Jojo, and Braycon are gonna kick some asphalt!

bagopux, I'm pretty sure I could kick ass at a Krispy Kreme challenge. I'd probably puke after but I could totally down 12 donuts in like 2-3 minutes.

Indy, glad to hear you're feeling good!

cmb, I've been running ultras for longer than I've been running marathons. I'm just good at being slow! Hopefully I'll be able to gain some speed by training differently.

zoe, nice 6! I wish my easy pace was better than 6 MPH!

onemile and joshlynn, have a nice run!

Went for my Graston today. Looks like my left knee funkiness is NOT ITBS! It's tight calves! We went through some range of motion and movement checks. Knee joints are solid so it's just the calves. My inner thighs (adductors?) are weak/tight too plus my piriformis is tight/tender. So we'll be working on those weekly until I get everything straightened out. The Graston itself actually tickled/felt good until he hit the problem area in my calves. Then I had to do some deep breathing but it wasn't bad overall. I do have bruising but it's actually fingerprints from where he did ART/myofacial release! It's crazy seeing perfect finger prints in my calf muscles. Good thing it's not shorts weather or someone might think DH was abusive!

4.5 miles of hill walking today. 5 minutes at 8% incline, 2 minutes at 2% incline. Repeat ad nauseum. I'm definitely getting stronger at hills though. I spent 65 minutes doing this and could have kept going.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Canuck

Banshee, the circular bruises might actually be from the Graston as well, I have them all over my calf - the chiro said that they usually appear circular like that as they are the result of a small, weak blood vessel that is caught up in the scar tissue breaking.  You can really tell the problem areas though can't you, it feels "crunchy".

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)