Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Sorry to hear of all the health and injury problems- get better soon, all of you!

Banshee I log here because it is easy to use and comprehensive. I used the calendar function and counted the number of runs each month then just added them up for the year totals. You can use arrows at the top of the month display to move forward or back to the next month.

I enjoyed your race report and pictures, looked like the trail was pretty flat and firm.

Onemile your interval plan should be good- but remember you should be able to maintain the pace. If you slow down after a few, or if you maintain the pace but cannot finish the workout, then you have set the pace too fast. You should feel afterwards that you could manage another 800 but glad you don't have to.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

onemile

Onemile - I go with the "If its not in the chest..." rule. If I didnt have a fever, or I didnt have body aches and chest congestion, I would run. But thats me. Ive heard different folks say not to run if you have a cold, etc... but I always do with the exceptions previously mentioned.

I've heard this "if its not in the chest..." but is a cough considered in the chest?  It feels like it's in my throat!

onemile

mdawg - I can't remember if you tried Graston yet or not. If you haven't, I'd highly recommend it.

Trail Monster

Docket, hope the shot goes well!

Simon, I log here too. I'm just too lazy to go count every run. I was hoping I could find a tool to give me the count. Wink

One mile, I run with a sore/scratchy throat. So long as I don't feel like I have any lung/breathing difficulty I usually run.

I'm scheduled for speed work today. Well I guess it's more stamina? 3 x 5k paced intervals. Normally I would be excited or at least okay with this but I'm not feeling it today. After Graston yesterday and then my workout I was tired and sore/tender. When I laid down for bed it got worse. Then I was wide awake and didn't fall asleep until after midnight. Not sure if I'm walking the line into over training or if it was just the Graston/chiro/massage plus workout tenderness and an over active mind. I guess I will try the workout and if the first interval totally sucks I will switch it for tomorrow's workout which is 90 minutes easy using run/walk. Then if I have sleep issues again tonight I will skip the speed work entirely this week. Does that sound like a good plan?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 8 easy @ 9:49. See, I complain about having to run 6 days a week, but I get em done. Tomorrow's a SRD--yippee! I ordered some shoes--I'm going with the Mizuno Elixir to see if the extra bit of stability can help me keep the pressure off my knees, so that I can forestall the recurrence of ITBS.

CMB, feel better.

Mdawg, +1 to Onemile's recommendation to get Graston. If there isn't any swelling, I'd lean more to fascial restrictions than to damage to a ligament and tendon, especially the way you are describing the pain.

Onemile, a friend of mind told me to never run with a sore throat because that is when your body is fighting an oncoming infection at its most vigorous, and to run takes away the resources it needs to fight it off. That rule of thumb has turned out to be true in many cases for me. But lately I've been waking up with a touch of sore throat, which I think has to do with some postnasal drip caused by the cold weather. So, I've run on those no problem (but that type of sore throat also went away with some fluid). So, I think you gotta make a judgement call. If the sore throat is just some gunk in the throat, then a run won't hurt, and it might actually help clear the throat. But if it's a prelude to a sickness, then I recommend not running and focus on recovering instead.

Banshee, sounds like a good plan. I'd err on the side of caution because, as I've been told, it's better to be undertrained than overtrained.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

bagopux

onemile, when it comes to illness, I just keep running until i notice it affecting my running, like if i feel unusually sluggish or my HR is unusually high.  At that point, you're body is telling you that it needs the energy for other purposes and that you need to rest.  Over the summer I felt a little something coming on.  I went out and ran a 14-miler.  First couple of miles were OK and then my HR soared and I had to slow to a crawl to get through it.  I did do the whole 14 miles, but it was a huge mistake.  Within a few hours, I was completely exhausted and clearly sick.  I should have saved my energy to fight off the illness because the 14 slow miles did me no good.

onemile

Thanks guys. I guess I'll give it a go and see how it goes. So far I feel fine energy-wise. With Hansons it's hard to move things around due to the other workouts for the week.

Smashy!!!

Thanks guys. I guess I'll give it a go and see how it goes. So far I feel fine energy-wise. With Hansons it's hard to move things around due to the other workouts for the week.

You might want to review the section of the book that talks about adjusting the schedule due to unforeseen events. I forget what they are offhand, but they give some guidelines on how to adjust the schedule and juggle workouts in the event of injury, etc.

onemile

I did read that section. And I thought about adjusting it.  I just think my only option would be to move it to tomorrow, take my rest day today and then do my MP run on Friday.  But I don't know if I'll be any better tomorrow.  I feel ok so I think I'll just try it tonight.

You might want to review the section of the book that talks about adjusting the schedule due to unforeseen events. I forget what they are offhand, but they give some guidelines on how to adjust the schedule and juggle workouts in the event of injury, etc.

onemile

For Hansons plan followers.  I posted a long time ago on their fb page asking about what to use for my MP and this is their response:

"Tough question, Jenny. If your HM result gives you an 8:30 GMP, then why are you doubting it? We recommend trying to stick to the prescribed paces based on your previous race times for awhile to see how it goes. You might surprise yourself. If you're really struggling, maybe adjusting pace would be wise until you get to the tune-up race to see where your training has brought you. Good luck."

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Hi guys! Going to start becoming a regular here. Took my SRD today as I've been fighting a cold and started coughing a bit yesterday. I had planned for some 400s today so thought it was a wise move. Took a Mucinex and cough medicine today and have not coughed once today since. Hope to be back at it tomorrow.

onemile - agree with others take the RD and nip whatever ails you in butt and don't try to push thru.

cbus - Elixir 8's? I want to get the Ronin 5's soon, but might get some 4's as they are super cheap right now on RWH.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

akalei

Hi, Donuts!  I love how I miss a day and have 4 pages to catch up on.  And now I'm hungry for baklava... mmmmm.

SRD yesterday, getting in 5 after work today.

onemile: I basically agree with bago.  Until I feel really sluggish or achy, or if there are stomach issues involved, I go for it.  but cbus is right, too... if I feel like my lymph nodes are swelling, I skip it, because that means your body is fighting an infection!  I've heard the flu is rough this year, so listen to your body!

Question for everyone: (I think docket will answer in the affirmative on this one) Has anyone done HMs on back-to-back weekends?  I'm running Shamrock and planned to give it an all-out effort to gauge where I stand with my BQ hopes, but the next weekend, I'll be visiting a friend in Oakland while the Oakland Running Festival is going on.  They have a 5K but I'd prefer to do the half.  Am I asking for injury doing this?

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Smashy!!!

Onemile, that's an interesting response. I think you and I have similar HM PRs, and I just can't see holding 8:30 for 26.2. My HM PR came weeks before TCM, and I went out slower than 8:30, and STILL blew up. But I like their optimism.

Jedi, no, I ordered the 7s because they're marked down with the impending release of the 8s.

Akalei, I've never done back-to-back halves. And I don't think I could race two back-to-back. But I definitely could race one and then run another the following week (that's basically what one does during MRT, isn't?).

onemile

Onemile, that's an interesting response. I think you and I have similar HM PRs, and I just can't see holding 8:30 for 26.2. My HM PR came weeks before TCM, and I went out slower than 8:30, and STILL blew up. But I like their optimism.

I wonder if your HM time is from BEFORE the cycle starts, if by the end of the cycle it will prepare you to run that MP?  (Just speculating)  I plan to race a 15k in a month and then a HM 4 weeks before the marathon to help narrow down my GMP.  In the meantime, I've been trying to use the 8:30 pace.

Trail Monster

Akalei - I've done back to back halves. In fact my October went 5k in the first weekend, marathon in the second weekend, 5k/10k/half in the third weekend, and 5k and half in the fourth weekend. I definitely don't recommend that but you can totally do one half easy and race the other one.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop