Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

onemile

I have done them three weeks apart and I felt like that was barely enough time to recover to RACE another one.   But I race hard and it took me three weeks to feel normal again after my last half.   I do think you could run the second one at easy pace though without a problem.  That I have done before too.  (Raced the first one, ran the second one a week later at easy pace).  I just wouldn't try to race them both.

Question for everyone: (I think docket will answer in the affirmative on this one) Has anyone done HMs on back-to-back weekends?  I'm running Shamrock and planned to give it an all-out effort to gauge where I stand with my BQ hopes, but the next weekend, I'll be visiting a friend in Oakland while the Oakland Running Festival is going on.  They have a 5K but I'd prefer to do the half.  Am I asking for injury doing this?

Smashy!!!

I wonder if your HM time is from BEFORE the cycle starts, if by the end of the cycle it will prepare you to run that MP?  (Just speculating)  I plan to race a 15k in a month and then a HM 4 weeks before the marathon to help narrow down my GMP.  In the meantime, I've been trying to use the 8:30 pace.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. And it makes sense, given the Hansons' approach. So, you race a HM at the start of the cycle, and it equates to an 8:30 GMP. You then train around that pace in the Hansons program. That increases your fitness at shorter distances, as a byproduct. You race a half near the end of the cycle (like a tune up race in Pfitz), and you PR, which produces a GMP of, say, 8:15. BUT you haven't trained at that 8:15 pace. You've spent all your time building to support the 8:30 pace. So that's the pace you should race at--not the new 8:15 pace. Is that how you are thinking about it?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

This is exactly what I'm thinking. And it makes sense, given the Hansons' approach. So, you race a HM at the start of the cycle, and it equates to an 8:30 GMP. You then train around that pace in the Hansons program. That increases your fitness at shorter distances, as a byproduct. You race a half near the end of the cycle (like a tune up race in Pfitz), and you PR, which produces a GMP of, say, 8:15. BUT you haven't trained at that 8:15 pace. You've spent all your time building to support the 8:30 pace. So that's the pace you should race at--not the new 8:15 pace. Is that how you are thinking about it?

YES, exactly!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I just finished reading book, but think there is a section they say they don't like you doing races before the strength workouts start. I think reason being you could still change your goal up to when you start strength workouts. Week 7 was what it said if memory serves me.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

That's the kind of cough I get when I get some cells stuck in my throat.  Could be an infection waiting to come out.  If it continues, try to get the doctor to prescribe tessalon pearls.  I consider a cough to be in the chest.  Hope you feel better.

I've heard this "if its not in the chest..." but is a cough considered in the chest?  It feels like it's in my throat!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Akalei, I would do both but use the first one as a PR effort and rhe second one as either an MP or tempo run or easy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dreamn

Do the half Akalei, just don't race one of them and then you can be a Half Fanatic Smile.  But yeah, I don't see why you can't do both, as long as both aren't all out efforts.

My turn for a question.  Last year, I won an AG award in a 10k.  They invited me back "to defend my title" (lol) but it's 1 week before the Richmond Marathon.  Decline?

It's unseasonably warm around here and I can't wait to get off work for a run!

Rusk Runner

Dreamn - I would vote "skip it".  Remember the goal.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile - My 13's should be here end of next week.  I have two pairs of 12's i've been rotating one at 350 miles and one at 520 miles.  Excited to see if there is any difference since everyone said brook's screwed up the 12's and the 13's are more like the 11's.

joshlynn and onemile - I'm playing catch up on the forum today, and am digging this up from several days back.  I skimmed the rest of the posts for more info in the 13's but may have missed something.  So I also have two pair of the 12's (335 mi and 564 mi) and my marathon is coming up on the 27th.  I either need to grab some 13's and get some miles in them, or use my 12's with close to 400 mi (by then).  Onemile, did you get some time on your 13's?  Joshlynn, do you think your 12's would have life in them for race day?  Are you still waiting to get 13's?  Thanks

akalei

Do the half Akalei, just don't race one of them and then you can be a Half Fanatic Smile.  But yeah, I don't see why you can't do both, as long as both aren't all out efforts.

My turn for a question.  Last year, I won an AG award in a 10k.  They invited me back "to defend my title" (lol) but it's 1 week before the Richmond Marathon.  Decline?

It's unseasonably warm around here and I can't wait to get off work for a run!

I never knew there was such a thing as the Half Fanatics, but now I'm intrigued! Smile

As for your back-to-back race weekend conundrum, which race is more mportant to you?  OR, kind of alternatively, do you feel like you can do full effort two weekends in a row?  Obviously you can handle 6 miles the weekend before Richmond, but defending your title means some serious effort!

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I think I'm gonna go for the Oakland half, as well.  I could use a race shirt/medal from Cali!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

White Lightning

Cbus – Days like today I love having the HR monitor. Very windy so helped keep my in check. Still waiting on my new insurance so I can get my first Graston apointment

mdawg – bummer :-(

onemile/Cbus – that's my big question. Say I run a 1:49 HM this week which they say is a 3:47 FM. No way I could do that. But after a full cycle at their pacing without complications, could that 3:47 be possible? I'm sure the type of plan you pick makes a huge difference too. Beginner is lacking but is their advanced program designed to pull that off? Or do you need to upgrade to a 60-80 plan from their site? I'm sure the faster your goal, the more advanced plan you need

dark_streets – Now keep in mind that I'm still fairly overweight. I have roughly the same mileage on my two pairs of 12's that you do and no way I would run a full in them. One pair, actually the one with 300 ish miles on them are totally worn out, the 500+ mile pair are on their last leg and i'm 99.9% convinced they are causing problems for me right now. I'm really trying to hold out for the 13's but they aren't avaiable in Canada yet. The 12's are still $139 up here and I don't want to cough up that money knowing I probably won't get full use of them. If I could get the 12's on sale like they are in the states right now, I'd get a pair today. I have a pair of 13's coming up from the states in three weeks with a family member but I don't think I can wait that long, might just have to bite the bullet. Think I'm going to take up golf, think its cheaper

Dream – lol, you know the answer to that one already, NO :-)

Me – 6.5 very cold and windy miles but nice and easy at 10:28. Everything hurt, ached and creaked at the start but after about 5 miles I felt great. Decided today that I need to start taking my core/strenght training more seriously so I put together a plan to go along with my upcoming cycle, Game On

Play the Game Hard!

Ball of Fury

Hi Donuts!  Look what happens we a miss a day...way too far behind to catch up!  Thank you all for the well wishes for the weekend.  I will admit that I threw a big, spoiled brat baby fit this morning over the weather (when I looked at my weather app and realized I would be running the final 10K at around the same time in a few days and it was 66 degrees with 94% humidity).  Thankfully, DH told me to suck it up and quit whining and I am feeling better now.  I am just going to do the best I can and if I don't make my goal, well, there is always next time.  I briefly contemplating just "running" it for fun and stopping for pics and stuff, but I know myself better than that....it's just not me!  Even if I said that was my plan, I wouldn't stick to it.  Another poster on RA sent me a message (he knew my info from the FE thread) and we have very similar training/times/goals so I think we are going to at least start running together and see what happens.  Ok, back to running.  Did 6 miles this morning, the first 3.5 with DH @10:15ish and then 2 @ GMP (9:09 and 9:06).  I felt pretty good during the run but my hip is pretty irritated now.  Definitely need to foam roll and stretch tonight.

Akalei:  I haven't run 1/2s back to back but I definitely would.  I would, as the others said, race the first and just run the second.

Dreamn:  If the marathon is your goal race, I would skip the 10K altogether.  I think it would be very tough to go back and run it "easily" because adrenaline would probably get the best of you and defending the title would suddenly become a good idea (at least, that's what would happen to me!).  So, I wouldn't want to jeopardize all the marathon training, ya know?

Other donuts:  Sorry I don't have time for full personals, but again, thanks so much for the all the well wishes and advice...you guys rock!  We leave Friday and after that, I am not sure how much I will be able to post for the week (we are there for a full 7 night vacay) because for some reason, my I-phone will let me read the forums but I can't post.  Anyone had that problem?  I can hit reply, type something, but then there isn't a submit button!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

I forgot to welcome jedigunnie to the mix.  Welcome to the Donuts, Jedi!  Some explanation to the screen name? E7?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I never knew there was such a thing as the Half Fanatics, but now I'm intrigued! Smile

As for your back-to-back race weekend conundrum, which race is more mportant to you?  OR, kind of alternatively, do you feel like you can do full effort two weekends in a row?  Obviously you can handle 6 miles the weekend before Richmond, but defending your title means some serious effort!

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I think I'm gonna go for the Oakland half, as well.  I could use a race shirt/medal from Cali!

Akalei- I'm a half fanatic Smile  I did 3 back to back half marathons in 3 back to back weekends and set 3 successive PRs.  I say go for it.  I did not get injured.

Onemile- Go for the run while sick but don't freak out if your paces aren't the best...that's what I would do.

Me- Graston on calves today.

I went to see a sports RD and found out that I have an RMR of 1550/day and need to be eating 2000 calories per day while training.  Basically, I'm causing my body to FREAK OUT by eating 1200/day- 1400/day out of sheer laziness and because that is what I have always eaten.  hopefully this leads to getting to be a lean mean running machine!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Trail Monster

Dreamn, skip the 10k.

Akalei, yes to Half Fanatics! I'm a Marathon Maniac and Half Fanatic and DH is a Half Fanatic. Smile

Joshlynn, I feel like strength and core training has helped me a lot. I've been aiming for 2-3 times a week and I already feel a lot stronger.

Ami, get that hip 100%!

Sprinkles, how was your Graston? My calves are still very tender and bruised 36 hours later!

Managed to make it through my scheduled workout surprisingly well. 2 mile warm up, 3 x 10 minutes at 5k pace with 3 minutes recovery between, 1 mile cool down. Ended up with 7 @ 9:21 average.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop