Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Docket_Rocket

I wonder when will the Sayonaras come in.

I am intrigued by the Evos but after my experience with the Universes (I ran 3 miles and thought I would get a SFx just by running in them that time) I am reticent to trying out any super minimal shoes.

I like the Mushas and have done 20 miles in them.  One them I would try them out for a marathon but doing multiple marathons force me to go with more support during them so the feet are fine and dandy for the next.

I did yesterday's strides in the Mushas and it's the minimal shoe I love the most (even above the Ronins).

Needless to say I will try out the Sayonaras.Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Yay, I hope he Grastons you. It helped my calves SOOOO much!

Forgot to answer your 1st question.  Yes, this sports doc does it all...Graston, ART, etc.

Smashy!!!

This almost sounds like an insult, like "Get Grastoned!" Or "Graston you!" Or "Up your Graston!"

I also think getting Grastoned needs to be part of the Donuts initiation process.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I think the Sayonaras have a July street date. I'll probably not do another marathon in the Mushas. Even in the hanson book they talk about this and that a racing flat more for runners in the 2;45-3:00. Running shmoes like you and me the Precision, Elixir, Rider probbaly better shoe for our needs.

I wonder when will the Sayonaras come in.

I am intrigued by the Evos but after my experience with the Universes (I ran 3 miles and thought I would get a SFx just by running in them that time) I am reticent to trying out any super minimal shoes.

I like the Mushas and have done 20 miles in them.  One them I would try them out for a marathon but doing multiple marathons force me to go with more support during them so the feet are fine and dandy for the next.

I did yesterday's strides in the Mushas and it's the minimal shoe I love the most (even above the Ronins).

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

All the cool kids are doing it.  Joking

This almost sounds like an insult, like "Get Grastoned!" Or "Graston you!" Or "Up your Graston!"

I also think getting Grastoned needs to be part of the Donuts initiation process.

Docket_Rocket

LOL.  Wait.  All current members excluded from the Graston requirement, right?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

True.  However, the Elixirs I'm going to leave for PR attempts at marathons.  The last 3 marathons have been in Elixirs and, although I felt awesome, my feet also got tired the last two times.  Must be that multiple marathon thing, I think.

I love the new Riders, for sure.  Will run in them at the ING Marathon in two weeks.

I think the Sayonaras have a July street date. I'll probably not do another marathon in the Mushas. Even in the hanson book they talk about this and that a racing flat more for runners in the 2;45-3:00. Running shmoes like you and me the Precision, Elixir, Rider probbaly better shoe for our needs.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

No.  Better get to it.  Evil

LOL.  Wait.  All current members excluded from the Graston requirement, right?

Docket_Rocket

But nothing hurts, why do I have to get it??????????  Yes, I'm whining.

No.  Better get to it.  Evil

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Sprinkles, are you taking meds for your thyroid?  I was diagnosed hypothyroid and started meds a couple of weeks ago.  If you were/are taking meds, I was just wondering how it affected you (if at all) from an athletics standpoint.  Thanks.

I take synthroid and cytomel - I improved as a runner while on them, likely unrelated to the medication.  They definitely did not hurt me in terms of running.  I started them in December 2011 but recently had them upped right before the marathon - still no difference.  I'm just less exhausted, which I think is a huge help in terms of being able to get up and run or find the motivation to do so.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Canuck

Morning all.  More morning meetings at work today, so I'm behind again.  An easy 6 tonight after work as I'm switching my rest day to Friday as I have my next Graston appointment at 8am and based on last week, I'm probably not going to want to run that evening.  I suppose it depends on what he does exactly, but might as well switch it up.

Banshee - I did 12 x 400 because that is what the Hansons plan calls for.  They want you to do a total of approx 3 miles of speed work, so the intervals will add up to that.  Next week is 8 x 600, then 6 x 800 etc.  The intervals get longer, but the pace and rest period stay the same (400m).  Eventually you do 3 x 1 mile with just 400 m rest in between, and then you switch to the longer, slower "strength" intervals - i.e. things like 6 x 1 mile at MP - 10secs, 3 x 2 miles etc.

Jedi, I was thinking the exact same thing - once I finished my 6th interval, it felt much better to say, ok, only 6 left, 5 left, 4 left etc!

So far I've always run my marathons in my primary trainer (i.e. the one I do most long runs in) - which has been the Vomero, although I seem to be using the NB 890v2 more this time round, so that will probably be my main trainer this cycle.  At our speed, I think that is the safest way to go.  I do use lighter shoes for shorter races - I've worn the Kinvara up to the HM distance.

Josh - 30 MPH winds, yikes!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

nachosgrande

Hey Donuts!  Unfortunately, don't have much to add to the ongoing shoe/graston/plan discussions.

Good news is that I was able to run each of the last three days (and 4 of the last 5).  All short runs (5, 4.5 and 3.5) but it's progress.  Going to look at a beginner HM plan to begin building base mileage back up.  I'm dropping the idea of running the Ojai Marathon and I'm going to focus on getting in shape for the La Jolla HM.  If things progress as hoped, I'm going to try to run the SD Rock & Roll full in June since it literally runs right in front of my house (around miles 17/18).

When my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday (which is today Cool), I asked her if she'd perform Graston on me.  Her response: "I hope that's not like a Hot Carl or something!"  Yes.  I married a classy woman.  Joking

Docket_Rocket

Good thing I'm not drinking any water at this time, or you would owe me a keyboard.

Hey Donuts!  Unfortunately, don't have much to add to the ongoing shoe/graston/plan discussions.

Good news is that I was able to run each of the last three days (and 4 of the last 5).  All short runs (5, 4.5 and 3.5) but it's progress.  Going to look at a beginner HM plan to begin building base mileage back up.  I'm dropping the idea of running the Ojai Marathon and I'm going to focus on getting in shape for the La Jolla HM.  If things progress as hoped, I'm going to try to run the SD Rock & Roll full in June since it literally runs right in front of my house (around miles 17/18).

When my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday (which is today Cool), I asked her if she'd perform Graston on me.  Her response: "I hope that's not like a Hot Carl or something!"  Yes.  I married a classy woman.  Joking

Damaris

Fundraising Page

bagopux

I take synthroid and cytomel - I improved as a runner while on them, likely unrelated to the medication.  They definitely did not hurt me in terms of running.  I started them in December 2011 but recently had them upped right before the marathon - still no difference.  I'm just less exhausted, which I think is a huge help in terms of being able to get up and run or find the motivation to do so.

Thanks.  For me, nothing negative so far.  Nothing positive yet either, but my understanding is that's not unusual either.

mdawg87

I'm wondering what they'll do today since the achilles area is compromised.  I guess you can have Graston or ART done while there's some other thing still going on?  I was thinking it was more of a preventative thing used to address the root cause of issues and if I needed it, it would be done once I'd healed up.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)