Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Thanks.  For me, nothing negative so far.  Nothing positive yet either, but my understanding is that's not unusual either.

It took awhile for things to change and improve, but a year later its much much better than it as a year ago.  I don't think it impacted my running at all.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Hoping you feel better soon.

Thanks.  For me, nothing negative so far.  Nothing positive yet either, but my understanding is that's not unusual either.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bagopux

Hoping you feel better soon.

Thanks, but I don't feel bad.  But the lab results just kept getting worse so it was time we did something.  Who knows, maybe I've been getting out of kilter so slowly over the years that I've forgotten what I'm supposed to feel like.  Frog in hot water kinda thing.  Point is, maybe I will feel better, but maybe I just won't start feeling worse.  Either is OK with me.

Ball of Fury

Hi Donuts!  I don't have much to add to the discussion either, except that I still haven't decided which shoes to wear Sunday...might be a game time decision.  And Nachos, I don't even know what a Hot Carl is and I still laughed out loud!  SRD for me today, just getting stuff together for the trip.  We have DS's 9th birthday party the day after we get back so trying to get all that stuff together.  Obviously not running related, but am I the only person who thinks it is stupid that we pay for a birthday party at a cool place, invite children, and then have to pay more to give them some silly bag full of useless crap?

Oh Lightning, as far as calories/BMR, when I was losing weight and doing Insanity, I was eating 1800-2000 calories to LOSE weight, and I am a 5'2" 120 lb female, so my guess on the plateau is that you need to slightly increase your calories.  I would go up by 200 or so for a couple weeks and see what happens.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

White Lightning

Zoe – they died to 20 by the time i finally got out there. Just a bummer because it was 45 degrees and I still had to dress in my winter gear (cold wind), really wanted to wear shorts

Nachos – lol. glad your getting back at it

Amik – that's what i'm figureing, i'm sure going lower would screw with my training

Me – Bit the bullet and bought another pair of Adrenaline 12's which I should have done a month ago. Aches and pains just mysteriously went away, first pain free run post marathon.  Had a great 10 mile run at 10:30 mm, even though it was crazy windy and froze my you know what's off. I did screw up and didn't get out until later than normal so didn't fuel for the run properly, 8 hours between breakfast and lunch (I usually run right before lunch and use lunch to re-fuel) and my last 2 miles were tough, plus I didn't bring any water today. Stupid

FINALLY ahead of that stinkin pace bunny

Play the Game Hard!

Trail Monster

Well, I can't add anything to the shoe discussion. It's going to be a one brand kind of year for me because I just got picked up by Altra! Shocked Woohoo! I've been running in the Superiors and walking in the Intuitions so I asked for a pair of the Delilahs (more minimalist) to try out. They're going to be adding some more types in a couple months so I'm waiting to see what else they come up with before I try out any other models.

Cbus and OneMile, LOL at the Graston stuff! I would totally suggest Graston to someone I didn't like. Even though it works (I felt probably 75% better on tonight's run) it's still not a lot of fun.

zoe, thanks for the info. I have never seen a plan with that many repetitions of intervals before. I just downloaded the Hanson's book from iTunes last night so I'll check it out for myself once I get that far into it. I did 3 repeats of 1.25 miles at 5k pace with .2 miles of recovery in between yesterday so I guess I'm running more what you're calling strength intervals?

Nachos, welcome back to running! And LMFAO at your wife!

I ended up with 9 miles of 9:1 run/walk tonight. Average pace about 10:15. Not 100% sure on exact time. I accidentally knocked the power thing on the treadmill somewhere in the 8th mile and had to guess exactly where I was in my workout to finish.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Nice.  I don't like the Altras, but being picked up by anybody is awesome.

Well, I can't add anything to the shoe discussion. It's going to be a one brand kind of year for me because I just got picked up by Altra! Shocked Woohoo! I've been running in the Superiors and walking in the Intuitions so I asked for a pair of the Delilahs (more minimalist) to try out. They're going to be adding some more types in a couple months so I'm waiting to see what else they come up with before I try out any other models.

Cbus and OneMile, LOL at the Graston stuff! I would totally suggest Graston to someone I didn't like. Even though it works (I felt probably 75% better on tonight's run) it's still not a lot of fun.

zoe, thanks for the info. I have never seen a plan with that many repetitions of intervals before. I just downloaded the Hanson's book from iTunes last night so I'll check it out for myself once I get that far into it. I did 3 repeats of 1.25 miles at 5k pace with .2 miles of recovery in between yesterday so I guess I'm running more what you're calling strength intervals?

Nachos, welcome back to running! And LMFAO at your wife!

I ended up with 9 miles of 9:1 run/walk tonight. Average pace about 10:15. Not 100% sure on exact time. I accidentally knocked the power thing on the treadmill somewhere in the 8th mile and had to guess exactly where I was in my workout to finish.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Everything they say about Graston is true...

It's painful!  But it works!  Significant difference from the time I walked in to the time I left.  I'll be interested to see how I feel in the morning.  Here's my recap...

Locked SI joint in left hip.  Compensation by right side creating issues down the chain compounded by naturally tight calves.  Lots of adhesions in the right calf area.  That's the cliff note version.  I can't remember all the info or muscle names.  Got a little Graston, a little ART, and some electrical stimulation/icing to help mitigate soreness and promote healing.  Between 4 and 6 sessions should get me where I need to be.  A test run of 1 or 2 miles after a couple of sessions is likely, depending on my progress.

Next session is Friday if I'm not too sore.  If not then, it'll be Monday.  I'm being cautiously optimistic that I'll be back running quicker than I thought.  Keep your fingers crossed.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Awesome mdawg! Hope you're back 100% soon!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Another convert?  Sheesh, I'm going to have to join the wagon!

It's painful!  But it works!  Significant difference from the time I walked in to the time I left.  I'll be interested to see how I feel in the morning.  Here's my recap...

Locked SI joint in left hip.  Compensation by right side creating issues down the chain compounded by naturally tight calves.  Lots of adhesions in the right calf area.  That's the cliff note version.  I can't remember all the info or muscle names.  Got a little Graston, a little ART, and some electrical stimulation/icing to help mitigate soreness and promote healing.  Between 4 and 6 sessions should get me where I need to be.  A test run of 1 or 2 miles after a couple of sessions is likely, depending on my progress.

Next session is Friday if I'm not too sore.  If not then, it'll be Monday.  I'm being cautiously optimistic that I'll be back running quicker than I thought.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Supereasy 5 recovery tonight on the belt, 9:20 pace, 1 deg incline.  Gotta get to bed to wake up way early and slip in 8 miles GA before work.

See ya tomorrow Donuts.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Yay! Glad to hear you got it done!  I've found even if it is sore, it's ok to get it done again.  It might hurt a little more, especially if they do it on top of bruises, but the sooner the gritty stuff gets scraped out the quicker it heals.  Your calves might need more but mine was pretty much back to normal after three sessions.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Yay, mdawg!  Glad it helps!  re: matching your suit to your running shoes:  I did that yesterday, too.  I had a meeting in the morning where I had to look presentable, so I packed dress shoes for that, but wore my Kinvaras (black, with lime green accents) to and from work, and then after the meeting when I could retreat to my office.  I figured the black of the shoes would go with a charcoal suit reasonably well...

Docket: I haven't hopped on the Graston bandwagon yet, either.

nachos:  glad you are able to get back to running!

Re: general shoe discussions.  I am a Mizuno whore and I don't plan on trying the Evos, either.  I don't have any interest in a minimal trainer.  I have a pair of Brooks Pure Connects in my closet with 16 miles on them, gathering dust. I don't run with an efficient enough stride for shoes like that to work for me; the Ronins and shoes of that ilk are about the minimum of shoe I can get away with.  But I did snag three pair of the WR 15s on liquidation yesterday, so I should be set in the general trainer department for a couple of months.

onemile: enjoy the rest!

Me:  Continuing my short runs while I try to get my hip healthy.  It starts to act up later and later into the run each day, but frustratingly that still comes about 3 miles into the run.  But, what is strange to me is that the gym work doesn't seem to bother it, so I'm keeping that up, too, so hopefully I won't have lost too much fitness by the time I'm able to start running longer.

3.5 @ 8:52 at lunch.  Leg workout plus 30 minutes on the stairclimber, with 15 on the stationary bike as a c/d after work.

Hi to everyone I missed.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

My Elixirs came--yay! I'll get to see if they are the "elixir" for my IT Band woes tomorrow.

Nachos, happy bday!!! I have no idea what a Hot Charlie is, and I'm curious, but I'm afraid to Google it. The Lajolla hm is hilly, I imagine.

Mdawg, that is awesome to hear! I hope the therapy continues to work.

Banshee, its also awesome that the Graston is working for you too. And getting picked up by Altra is awesome too. How did that happen?

Flinders, the way your pain only occurs when running makes me think it's a fascial restriction. I really think you should look into Graston.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Banshee, its also awesome that the Graston is working for you too. And getting picked up by Altra is awesome too. How did that happen?

Power of social media. I went to the RW Half & Festival as part of the media group back in October. Altra gave everyone in the media group a free pair of shoes plus a running form assessment and a presentation. I liked the guys (small company, the founder and most of the 'big wigs' were at the presentation and expo and fitting people for shoes) and even had dinner with Golden. I've been keeping in touch with all of them ever since and transitioned over to mostly running in my Altras full time. That's probably what caused the calf tightness (going from 8mm to zero drop) but I like the way they feel and I like the wiggle room. They asked if I wanted to be an ambassador and I agreed. My blog has been a huge blessing in getting me in touch with companies that I really want to work with and support. This year I have INKnBURN, Altra, FitFluential, and GU plus I get the occassional campaign from other companies that want me to review products.

If you (or anyone) wants to get started on brand ambassador campaigns then Active.com is the best way. Fill out a complete profile and you'll get matched up with companies looking for ambassadors. I got Under Armour, reGen and Aquaphor through Active before I struck out on my own.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop