Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Bago- Yeah  I didn't honestly feel that bad when I was hypo- I was just tired and a little more run down than usual.  I didn't realize anything was wrong until I took medication.

AmiK- game time decision is sometimes the best one.

Josh- I'm with AmiK on this one- for years I did NOT trust the "eat more to lose more" philsophy, but really, we runners burn so many calories in training that sometimes our bodies full-on freak out.  I got to the point where I gained weight on 1100 calories per day.  So far I'm not gaining on 1600-1800.  My goal is to get to 2000 when training gets more intense...I'm about AmiK's size- 5'4 and like 115-120 given the training volume/intensity/how much I care.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Canuck

Banshee, if you're running at 5K pace you're still doing "speed" (VO2 max).  That sounds like an tough workout.  Strength intervals are at a slower pace - GMP - 10secs, so for me, I'd run strength at 8:12 pace (my speed pace is 7:24).  You do more miles with the Strength as well, the total ends up being 6 miles, broken up as 6 x 1, 4 x 1.5, 3 x 2 and 2 x 3.

mdawg - wow, you and I are injury twins, except on different legs.  My left si joint is locked in a "down" position, which has led to everything on my left side being tighter, including my calf, hamstring and hip, so all of my injuries are always on my left side.  Chiro is going to adjust me on Friday in addition to the Graston so I'm hoping that if I get that adjustment and then continue with the yoga and core work I've been doing, I can get that left side to eventually loosen up.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Docket_Rocket

Woohoo!  Best shoes ever!  Have you tried them before?  I am waiting for the new ones (I pre-ordered from the House).  Enjoy!

Hey all,

My Elixirs came--yay! I'll get to see if they are the "elixir" for my IT Band woes tomorrow.

Nachos, happy bday!!! I have no idea what a Hot Charlie is, and I'm curious, but I'm afraid to Google it. The Lajolla hm is hilly, I imagine.

Mdawg, that is awesome to hear! I hope the therapy continues to work.

Banshee, its also awesome that the Graston is working for you too. And getting picked up by Altra is awesome too. How did that happen?

Flinders, the way your pain only occurs when running makes me think it's a fascial restriction. I really think you should look into Graston.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

Delurking : Josh - check out the MEC hot chocolate race Jan 26th. There is a 5 and 10k event. (I'm in Calgary). Relurking. (Ill think of posting later when I have More time and am seriously thinking of a full).

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 3:57:03

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

White Lightning

Delurking : Josh - check out the MEC hot chocolate race Jan 26th. There is a 5 and 10k event. (I'm in Calgary). Relurking. (Ill think of posting later when I have More time and am seriously thinking of a full).

um yeah, everyone looks pretty cold in the pictures.... but for $15 and free hot chocolate, done.  Signed up for the 10k, thanks

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

Good Morning Donuts.  Its about 4:30 and I am filling out my log, eating breakfast/recovery food, and cooling down.

8 miles easy/GA @ 8:45 avg pace.  Felt super easy this morning at 30 deg.

Banshee - Congrats.

Nachos - Congrats.

Will shout out again later today.  I gotta get a shower.

I am officially signed up for the Southern Indiana Classic Marathon, 6 April 2013.  Paid pain.  (my substitute for graston?)

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Donuts.  Another day in Court (the nerve) and after that, off until Monday!  Either an SRD or 4 recovery miles.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Morning guys.

Banshee - I agree with zoe, that would be a speed workout. And a hard one at that!  Nice job on it. I have a hard time running my 5k pace outside of a race.

Flinders - Agree with cbus on the Graston (of course Wink).  Glad you could get in a short run at least.

Josh - nice job on the 10 miles!  Let me know when you finally try the Adrenaline 13's. I'm curious what you think.

indiana - very nice pace on the 8 miles!  but there is no substitute for Graston.  Joking

Docket - enjoy the rest (or the recovery miles).

I have 12 with 6 at MP tonight.  Just gotta get through this one and Hansons are giving me FOUR easy days in a row!!

Docket_Rocket

onemile, good luck with the MP miles.  I'll be doing my MP workout on Sunday (some miles at MP).

Damaris

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

Morning!

I finally am getting over this cold.  I think I've pretty much fought it off, I just need to get last bits of stuff out of my system at this point.  I'm hoping that I can do my easy run that is scheduled for tomorrow.

Banshee - I agree with everyone else, I call 5k pace intervals speed workouts.  3x1.25 miles sounds like a heck of a hard workout!  I never do more than ~1000s at that pace, and usually by the end of 1000m I'm pretty glad I get to stop and rest.

Indiana - holy crap that is early.  It is pretty darn impressive that you were *finished* with 8 miles at 4:30 AM.  I can't even get myself started at that kind of a time.

Onemile - good luck with the MP run!  Enjoy your upcoming easy days.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Trail Monster

Banshee, if you're running at 5K pace you're still doing "speed" (VO2 max).  That sounds like an tough workout.  Strength intervals are at a slower pace - GMP - 10secs, so for me, I'd run strength at 8:12 pace (my speed pace is 7:24).  You do more miles with the Strength as well, the total ends up being 6 miles, broken up as 6 x 1, 4 x 1.5, 3 x 2 and 2 x 3.

Thanks for the explanation! My 5k pace is around 8:00. I used 7.4MPH (8:06 pace). The workout was 2 mile warm up, 3 x 10 minutes at 5k pace (8:06 in this case), 3 minutes walk (15:00 pace) recovery, 1 mile cool down. Total workout was 7 miles. It was tough but it felt really good at the same time. I think I probably could have done 7.5MPH which is exactly 8:00 pace but I wanted to be conservative and be sure I could finish this time since last time I tried this workout I couldn't make the full 10 minutes each interval. Next time this workout comes up I will most like go for the 8-flat. Smile

Indy, nice 8 and wow, early!

Docket, hope today goes quickly so you can enjoy the weekend!

cmb - get well soon!

I'm scheduled for weights/CrossFit today. I think I might do some recovery paced miles to shake my legs out before I lift.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

mdawg87

My blog has been a huge blessing in getting me in touch with companies that I really want to work with and support. This year I have INKnBURN, Altra, FitFluential, and GU plus I get the occassional campaign from other companies that want me to review products.

If you (or anyone) wants to get started on brand ambassador campaigns then Active.com is the best way. Fill out a complete profile and you'll get matched up with companies looking for ambassadors. I got Under Armour, reGen and Aquaphor through Active before I struck out on my own.

Kind of an odd question for you, but what's your opinion of the fitness/runner blogging community?  I'm curious as I've met a few and would like an insider's thoughts.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Kind of an odd question for you, but what's your opinion of the fitness/runner blogging community?  I'm curious as I've met a few and would like an insider's thoughts.

The ones I've met have mostly been amazing! There's a few who spread misinformation or try to sell gimmicks or take campaigns for products they don't actually believe in but the majority are in it to help motivate and educate. That's a huge part of the reason I changed my major to health and wellness. I want to be one of the 'good guys' and not misinform newer athletes.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

mdawg87

Good morning!  1 hour of elliptical and stretching at the gym this morning.  I'm able to wear my normal shoes to work today.  I did wear my lowest pair of heels though.  I also brought my Sauconys with me just in case too!  I have a slight bruise on the inside of my calf and the areas are slightly tender to the touch, but that's all.  I think I'll be good to go for another session on Friday.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and vibes!  The real test will come when I run a couple of miles sometime next week.  Trying not to get too excited, but the results so far are better than I could've hoped for.

Zoe:  I thought about you last night when he started using the "boomerang" tool you described on my calf.  I'm going to ask about my left calf too on Friday.  It's fine now, but had a similar issue that put me on IR for Chicago.  I'm sure there's adhesions on that side too.

Sprinkles:  Meant to comment on your figure skating diet post, but forgot.  You should be commended for being strong enough not to fall into that trap.  That's a real mind game with body image especially when you combine it with a competitive sport.  Kudos to you!

cbus/docket:  I wanted to try the Elixers, but the women's colors were FL Gator orange and blue.  Never gonna happen in this UGA house!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

akalei

Morning, donuts! I was out of the loop most of yesterday--busy week.

As to the food discussion, I agree with Sprinkles.  My body has gone into deprivation mode and I've bloated up on around 1200, but I lost weight when I was eating 5-6 times per day, not counting calories really, since most of what I eat is fruits, veggies, meats, some grains.  I say this as I'm about to go to the farm show over lunch and get the most delicious milkshake ever Smile But it's true.  When I cut back on training, I don't cut back on the frequency, but the volume.  Seems to work well for me.

Running has been sub par this week because of how busy I've been.  Boss leaves town today though, so it should slow down.  Hoping to get 6 in this afternoon to work off that milkshake!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com