Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - what is mileage for LR for Hanson HM plan and do they do tempo runs same way? Thinking of maybe buying a 5k plan to do right before I jump back into Hanson advanced marathon plan.

For my log just copy workout and delete portions not part of that segment.

onemile - RD only day i get to do any XT, but try to do core daily and strength at least one other time a week.

Damaris - Musha 5 feel lot lighter?

Hey all,

SRD. I came down with a cold Mondayish, so I'm hoping this day of rest will have me ready for tomorrow's Tempo. Went to Graston today, and my regular doc was out. This doc did the Graston, but it didn't feel painful at all. I kept asking her if it should hurt, and she kept saying, "Not necessarily." I dunno, I was kinda bummed/suspicious.

I compared the Hansons' half-marathon plan with the Beginner marathon plan, and there is not that much difference mileage-wise (the main difference is the LR, obviously). So, I think when MRT comes around this summer, I'm gonna do the Advanced plan instead.

Indi, sorry bro, you're on your own! Watch out for zombies!

Onemile, I didn't think of the intervals getting longer! I was just happy to have the set of 12 over. For some reason, doing 12 intervals seems more daunting than 3X1mi. But the target pace of my Speed workouts is 7:43, so I'm not running them as hard as you.  Regarding shoes: my regular chiro always comments on how my adhesions are all around the knees, and not up the hip. I'm wondering if this has to do with a lack of support. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Mdawg, hang in there! It sounds like you are making progress, albeit slowly. So take courage.

Jedi, how do you get your log entry to list a run as "Warmup/cooldown"? Do you have to enter the intervals, and name it there? Never mind, I figured it out.

Great runs everyone!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

They arrived at the office so not sure I wanted to wear green shoes here.  oh, I also got the Ronins.  I live the House gift cards!

cbus - what is mileage for LR for Hanson HM plan and do they do tempo runs same way? Thinking of maybe buying a 5k plan to do right before I jump back into Hanson advanced marathon plan.

For my log just copy workout and delete portions not part of that segment.

onemile - RD only day i get to do any XT, but try to do core daily and strength at least one other time a week.

Damaris - Musha 5 feel lot lighter?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I do as onemile.  Even if my GMP is slower, I still do the intervals at 5K PR Pace.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Why are you doing your intervals so slow?  I thought they were supposed to be at 5k race pace.  Even if you are using a more conservative GMP, I would think you would still want to do the VO2 Max work at your real 5k pace.  Which I would assume is the same as mine or faster.

And If you think of it this way, you are doing 3 miles of intervals each time, but with the 12x400s, you get recoveries that are equal to the interval.  But when you do 1000s and you get only 400 for recovery, it's less than half the interval length.  And I'm really dreading the 3x1 mile! But I have a hard time running 5k pace outside of a race.  (well I guess inside of a race it's hard too)

I dunno. I'm using 3:50 as my goal. According to the chart, unless I looked at it wrong, Speed is done at 7:43. As I understand it, the Speed is not done at true 5K race pace, but at the pace they prescribe which they call "5K" pace. But maybe I'm wrong. As I see it, it makes sense not to run the Speed too fast, or else the rest of the week would be shot. I've also got to leave something in the tank for the rest of the schedule--this was only the first workout after all. But I will look at the book again tonight.

I see your point about the limited rest, but I dunno, something about the way my brain works, longer intervals is easier than more intervals.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

The mileage of the LR tops out at 12, and then alternates with 10 every other week, like it does in the marathon plans. All the other workouts are done the same way. That's actually what confuses me about the plan. They say the Tempos are at GP and Strength at GP - :10. But that'd mean doing 5-10 mi. @ HMP??? And then those Strength intervals even faster? That makes little sense to me. So, I'm just using my goal MP. If that means I'm doing my workouts too slow, that's okay because I figure at this stage of my running, even a little bit of quality will be of benefit.

Smashy!!!

Cbus, I got the new Elixirs and Mushas.  Will report tomorrow on the Elixirs.  Feel better.

damn SRD....

Awesome! Can't wait to hear your report.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

i thought the 5k/10k paces they have in book are just a guide for you to use, but you can use your true 5k pace in workouts if you know it.

I dunno. I'm using 3:50 as my goal. According to the chart, unless I looked at it wrong, Speed is done at 7:43. As I understand it, the Speed is not done at true 5K race pace, but at the pace they prescribe which they call "5K" pace. But maybe I'm wrong. As I see it, it makes sense not to run the Speed too fast, or else the rest of the week would be shot. I've also got to leave something in the tank for the rest of the schedule--this was only the first workout after all. But I will look at the book again tonight.

I see your point about the limited rest, but I dunno, something about the way my brain works, longer intervals is easier than more intervals.

Damaris - jealous you got Ronins too. That is my next shoe, but might get a pair of 4s since so cheap right now.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

I'm pretty sure that it said in the book that you can use their charts to estimate but a race result is even better.  If I did my intervals at 7:43, it would be like doing tempo paced work instead of vo2 max work. (I would assume the same would be true for you since we seem to have similar PRs).  So far doing them at 7:19ish pace hasn't trashed me for the week.  It's only after the tempo run on top of that that I start to feel trashed. But then you get two easy days before the long run.

Smashy!!!

i thought the 5k/10k paces they have in book are just a guide for you to use, but you can use your true 5k pace in workouts if you know it.

Damaris - jealous you got Ronins too. That is my next shoe, but might get a pair of 4s since so cheap right now.

Again, I'll have to look at the book. But I remember them warning not to run the Speed too fast. They also say they are to be done around 85% of VO2 Max (I forget the exact figure, but they make the point that it is lower than most speed workouts in other plans).

nachosgrande

Jedi - Agree with the others.  Your mileage is beastly.  Good luck with getting to that goal BQ.

Cbus - Sorry to hear about the cold.  Not sure if you've noticed, but our Bruins have turned it around on the hardwood.  I'm going to snag some tickets and head up to the new Pauley for a game in the next month.

Mdawg - glad to hear you're making progress.

RnR expos are awesome (been to one in Vegas and last year's San Diego).  Tons of freebies and mostly well organized.  The race organization appears to be hit and miss.  I was at RnR Las Vegas in 2011 to cheer on my wife and that was a total mess.  I ran the San Diego half in June and I thought it was great.  I enjoyed the course and the post-race goodies were plentiful.  No issues with aid stations either.  Depending on my health, I'll be running either the half or full this year.

During marathon training, SRDs were welcomed.  But I always managed to get in some other type of activity, usually strength training.  Now that I'm just kind of running low mileage and without a schedule, I do not like taking days off.  One of the major reasons I started running in the first place was to help manage issues with anxiety/blues, so a day off leaves me without a physical outlet for that anxious energy.

My leg bounced back with some treatment so I logged some short runs the past two days.  Mon - 5 @8:39 and yesterday was a 3.5 mile recovery run @ 10:40.  Overall, I've managed to run 21 miles in the last 5 days.  That's my first week over 20 miles in three months.  Smile  Shooting for another 6 miles after work today and then going to take tomorrow off.  I found it interesting that the most recent swelling incident occurred after my only run wearing my Adrenalines.  They felt great during my run, but maybe they're causing some of the shin splint issues due to my feet being less "active" in them.  All the other runs have been in my Pure Connects.

Smashy!!!

I'm pretty sure that it said in the book that you can use their charts to estimate but a race result is even better.  If I did my intervals at 7:43, it would be like doing tempo paced work instead of vo2 max work. (I would assume the same would be true for you since we seem to have similar PRs).  So far doing them at 7:19ish pace hasn't trashed me for the week.  It's only after the tempo run on top of that that I start to feel trashed. But then you get two easy days before the long run.

Actually, I did feel the Speed felt like a traditional tempo workout. But I thought that was the point, since their Tempo is also slower than a traditional tempo run. But maybe you're right...I'll have to look it up again.

onemile

I thought the strength was supposed to be like a traditional tempo workout.  Oh now I'm confused.  Better re-check my book tonight too.

Actually, I did feel the Speed felt like a traditional tempo workout. But I thought that was the point, since their Tempo is also slower than a traditional tempo run. But maybe you're right...I'll have to look it up again.

cmb4314

The mileage of the LR tops out at 12, and then alternates with 10 every other week, like it does in the marathon plans. All the other workouts are done the same way. That's actually what confuses me about the plan. They say the Tempos are at GP and Strength at GP - :10. But that'd mean doing 5-10 mi. @ HMP??? And then those Strength intervals even faster? That makes little sense to me. So, I'm just using my goal MP. If that means I'm doing my workouts too slow, that's okay because I figure at this stage of my running, even a little bit of quality will be of benefit.

5-10 miles at HMP is a tough run.  I've been doing a lot of my Pfitz tempos at a little bit slower than HM pace to compensate for the sheer duration of the run - I'm pretty sure the Pfitz plan is written with faster runners in mind (the tables in the book max out at a 4 hour marathon, lol).  Though, I've also been doing them on the treadmill, where I consistently run slower than outside, and where it's easily 75 degrees so heat has been a factor for me.

FWIW, I ran my 5k pace intervals at ~7:49 this morning.  That's actually a little bit faster than my actual 5k PR pace, but it's slower than what my HM predicts I can run (my actual 5k PR predicts a HM that is 3.5 minutes slower than my PR).   Speed is my weakness - my legs just don't go fast efficiently, so I know that in order to finish workouts standing up, I have to give myself a little bit of cushion on the speed I am "supposed" to hit.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

I thought the strength was supposed to be like a traditional tempo workout.  Oh now I'm confused.  Better re-check my book tonight too.

I think that depends. The faster the runner, the closer Strength will be to HMP. But my MP and HMP are out of alignment. So, I expect those Strength runs not to have an exact equivalent in other plans. But again, maybe you are right that I'm running too slow. So let me look at it again tonight...

nachosgrande

I hear tons of talk about the Elixirs and Mushas.  What type of shoes are these, and what do they equate to in say Asics or Brooks?  Are they lightweight or standard trainers?  Just curious because I just received a gift card for RoadRunner and I'm in the market for a lightweight everyday trainer to replace my Adrenalines.  Looking to try a neutral shoe since I'm not having any problems with the Pure Connects.