Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

onemile

Have you considered Graston?

Graston completely fixed my calf tightness in 3 sessions.  Amazing.

onemile

thanks, although I could've done without that last tidbit. Wink I thought as much, but after Onemile-gate, I thought I should verify.

heh, I always thought CMB was a guy.  Whoops.

Docket_Rocket

I love all your jokes.

When Chuck Norris wears a sports bra, the sports bra feels supported...

(okay, be honest, who loves my CN jokes?)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Canuck

I get regular massage therapy, so I haven't felt the need for Graston at this point - my massage therapist will get any knots out for me.  The main issue for me is maintenance - the only thing that will permanently solve my problem is increasing my calf flexibility which unfortunately can't be done in a short period of time - acute problems can be treated quickly with Graston or massage, but not the underlying cause.  Problem is, I'm just not diligent enough - I should be stretching and rolling twice a day every day really, but that hasn't happened yet.  Maybe one day I'll manage it.  I find my calf problems tend to diminish with increasing mileage oddly enough, probably because the more I run, the more I stretch and roll - I forget to do it if I'm not running.

Docket - the adizero Bostons I generally use for easy runs and I've also used them for long runs and raced a HM in them.  They are essentially "everyday" shoes.  If you prefer to race in lighter shoes than they probably aren't for that.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

DetroitTigerFan

So what do you all use for determining training paces nowadays?

I see that the McMillian website changed again. Last year, everyone was saying how their last website change made the paces much more aggressive. Do you trust these? or is there a better website that you like.  Looking for something to show equivalent training paces for a given current performance,etc - thanks !

Also, for those of you uploading GPS running data to RA, do you find it much better than the Garmin Connect website ? RA seems much cooler with more features, but wasnt sure if there is any big advantage to using Garmin Connect,etc...

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

I love racing in lighter shoes but I'm currently doing multiple marathons so I'm now racing in heavier shoes to get more support.  Otherwise, the lack of support might hurt me later (by the 3rd marathon).  Thanks for the review.  I was going to try them out today but will try them on Saturday!

I get regular massage therapy, so I haven't felt the need for Graston at this point - my massage therapist will get any knots out for me.  The main issue for me is maintenance - the only thing that will permanently solve my problem is increasing my calf flexibility which unfortunately can't be done in a short period of time - acute problems can be treated quickly with Graston or massage, but not the underlying cause.  Problem is, I'm just not diligent enough - I should be stretching and rolling twice a day every day really, but that hasn't happened yet.  Maybe one day I'll manage it.  I find my calf problems tend to diminish with increasing mileage oddly enough, probably because the more I run, the more I stretch and roll - I forget to do it if I'm not running.

Docket - the adizero Bostons I generally use for easy runs and I've also used them for long runs and raced a HM in them.  They are essentially "everyday" shoes.  If you prefer to race in lighter shoes than they probably aren't for that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I still think they are too aggressive, but if you input your most current race result from the same distance, things do not look that bad.

So what do you all use for determining training paces nowadays?

I see that the McMillian website changed again. Last year, everyone was saying how their last website change made the paces much more aggressive. Do you trust these? or is there a better website that you like.  Looking for something to show equivalent training paces for a given current performance,etc - thanks !

Also, for those of you uploading GPS running data to RA, do you find it much better than the Garmin Connect website ? RA seems much cooler with more features, but wasnt sure if there is any big advantage to using Garmin Connect,etc...

Damaris

Fundraising Page

We should change the name of this group from the Donuts to the Grastonites. Ha

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Evening, all.

cmb and zoe, I'll commiserate on the PF. I had a bad flare in November/December.  Mine is getting better.  I think I pinpointed the cause of mine as dress shoes and a weak kinetic chain.  I have really weak glutes, I have found out, and that seems to mess everything else.  I also found that running more kept it in check, probably because I roll and stretch more the more I run.  15 mpw or less is ok because it doesn't aggravate it much, and over 30 is good because I stretch and roll a lot.  It is the 20-25 zone that I was having the most issues with when I was also dealing with the post-marathon funk.

I did 3.7 @ 8:59 at lunch.  36F, clear and windy.    1:15 at the gym, doing core and legs.  I probably will be feeling it in the morning.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Rusk Runner

Lots of fun going on in here today!  I 100% agree that lower mileage creates less stretching and rolling.  I suffer from that malady myself though I always tell myself not to.

Feeling a little bit better today but, good night nurse, am I tired!  Stayed up to watch the Orange bowl last night and I am paying for it now.

5 recovery on the mill tonight, 9:38 pace.  Rescheduled tomorrow's 10 miler to Friday so I dont have to run icy roads at 3:00 AM.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

One mile- me too re: the tightness in tHe calves...sometimes I legit can't stretch a spot and need the knot worked out.

docket- I'm loving the chuck Norris jokes

Cmb- your avatar is of womens shoes! My friend runs in them Smile

rollcsst- grastonites! I'm a believer

me: 6 very easy miles after work - still just building slow miles until I start training. My back felt good, yay

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

Another fan of the Chuck Norris jokes here. Keep at it Cbus!

And sometimes I feel like a Graston salesperson, but really it's just so fast and effective.  I have another appointment tomorrow night. I'm not sure that I need it because my calves are feeling pretty good but my chiro said 'see ya next week' so I scheduled another appointment since he NEVER tells me when to come back - he usually just zooms out of the room.  Big grin   I'm thinking about going regularly through marathon training as a maintenance / prevention thing every few weeks just to keep any issues at bay.  For $20, I think it's worth it if it prevents me from getting injured.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Another fan of the Chuck Norris jokes here. Keep at it Cbus!

And sometimes I feel like a Graston salesperson, but really it's just so fast and effective.  I have another appointment tomorrow night. I'm not sure that I need it because my calves are feeling pretty good but my chiro said 'see ya next week' so I scheduled another appointment since he NEVER tells me when to come back - he usually just zooms out of the room.  Big grin   I'm thinking about going regularly through marathon training as a maintenance / prevention thing every few weeks just to keep any issues at bay.  For $20, I think it's worth it if it prevents me from getting injured.

That's what I did before Philly- I went every month pretty much until the last two months when I just didn't have time.  It's not that I'm not strong or flexible- I do work on both of those things, but I get knots...nasty nasty knots, even when I stretch.  There's a spot on the interior of my calf that i would literally have to sprain my ankle to stretch- Graston fixes it.  For $20 I am sold!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Ball of Fury

Holy cow...missed a day and I am 3-4 pages behind!  Yesterday was a SRD, and I took the day off work to spend time with the fam.  I did go to the chiro and he did Graston (which he called poor man's Graston because it wasn't the official metal tool, but some other version), stretching, etc....I was planning to do an easy 5ish this morning, but it was pretty sore when I woke up (bruises aren't terrible though), so I took an URD.  I am going back Monday and then one other time before the race so hopefully, it will help!

You ladies have talked me out of the sparkle shirt (I think the fact that it's Disney was swaying my clothing judgment!).  The only reason I was contemplating a skirt was that I like a bit of compression, but don't really want to wear capris or tights.  I do have one pair of compression shorts for running but they pretty long and not very cool in hot weather.  Sorry I can't get to personals....way too much to catch up on!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Hey, I have sparkle skirts, AmiK.  They don't come with compression, as far as I know.

Morning!  Last night my run was horrible.  My allergy shot had such a bad reaction, the whole arm is red and swollen.  It's like I have the drawing of a cake or pie in it.  Bah.  9 easy miles tonight if I can breathe.  This mother hurts my asthma.

Damaris

Fundraising Page