Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Rusk Runner

Josh - I should mention that originally I wanted to use an HRM just to make sure I was running recovery runs slow enough to allow for a proper recovery.  Since then, I have gotten used to monitoring all of my paces.  I certainly dont mind being a little on the high end for various reasons.  And I still have no intention of using an HRM during a marathon.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

Josh - my max HR is around 195.  I keep my runs on the high end  of all of Pfitz recommended HRs.  I may be a bit in error however since I know my resting HR is lower than it was when I did my original HRR calculations.  Let me know if you see something in error.  God knows I suck at math. 

I'm around 194-195 as well and looking back on my last cycle I ran my long runs 15-20 bpm slower than you're running your long runs.  Nice to know I can follow his recommendations and push myself a bit harder as long as my legs can handle it.

I think I finally get the no HRM during the race and I probably wont run with mine, or at least shut the screen off, AS LONG as I can consistently hit my paces during training in the proper HR zones.

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

Josh - when you are running your long runs, I think you should still be able to pass the talk test through most of your run and you should be breathing easy no matter what your HR.  Another thing is you should be recovering well, not comprimising further runs.  My HR would be lower through my long runs if I ever ran somwhere that did not include 200 foot changes in elevation, etc.  But as much as I know long runs are supposed to be at a easy pace, I agree with Pfitz and others that they arent supposed be be long slogs of slow jogging either.  Just dont push yourself too hard that your training becomes miserable.  And remember we all react differently to training stresses.

Just Run!!!

LCanida

LC Runs

Happy Friday Donuts!

Anyone running long tomorrow?

LCanida

LC Runs

Hey all,

We've been getting pounded by snow all morning. But I got a 6 easy in nonetheless. Averaged 10:31. Pace was slower because of the snow, obviously.

Cmb, hopefully this ITBS goes away. In my experience, ITBS can come on suddenly like that. Get on that foam roller!

Happy running all!

Can't imagine the snow! We haven't had a bit in bama... They freaked yesterday, delayed school, and of course woke up to 50 degree weather.. Good job on the 6 in the snow!

LCanida

LC Runs

There is a rule here.  If you get a pedicure, you must provide pictures to prove it.

Now I have a migraine, sigh.

I'm getting one tomorrow! After 3 Marathons in the past few months.. I'm in need!!

Rusk Runner

LC!! Long time no post!  Welcome back!

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

Josh - when you are running your long runs, I think you should still be able to pass the talk test through most of your run and you should be breathing easy no matter what your HR.  Another thing is you should be recovering well, not comprimising further runs.  My HR would be lower through my long runs if I ever ran somwhere that did not include 200 foot changes in elevation, etc.  But as much as I know long runs are supposed to be at a easy pace, I agree with Pfitz and others that they arent supposed be be long slogs of slow jogging either.  Just dont push yourself too hard that your training becomes miserable.  And remember we all react differently to training stresses.

Gotcha, I'm pretty sure I'm on the right page.

Play the Game Hard!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Happy Friday Donuts!

Anyone running long tomorrow?

Me.  Its icing out, and DH is insisting on going to the suburbs for the weekend so we can go to his friend's party, which is at noon, on Sunday at Buffalo Wild Wings.  He is turning 30.   I'm judging.  I want a huge cocktail in my hand as the clock strikes 30, not a buffalo wild wing. This of course means that I will not be snow running/slipping thru Central Park as I would like and will be doing 13 miles with 8 at MP ON A TREADMILL (because the suburban parks freak me out since I'm a city mouse and think serial killers are lurking in the weeds).

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - I think you would not enjoy running my road at 3:00 AM Shocked.

Just Run!!!

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - I think you would not enjoy running my road at 3:00 AM Shocked.

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Mine is around 194 too (based on a 5K), but I run my long runs at 148-151.  Maybe I'm running them too low?  Although they would not feel that easy if I run them faster.  I am currently using Pfitz guide to HR.

I'm around 194-195 as well and looking back on my last cycle I ran my long runs 15-20 bpm slower than you're running your long runs.  Nice to know I can follow his recommendations and push myself a bit harder as long as my legs can handle it.

I think I finally get the no HRM during the race and I probably wont run with mine, or at least shut the screen off, AS LONG as I can consistently hit my paces during training in the proper HR zones.

5 recovery miles tonight.  What a day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

MORNING!  Where is everybody?  4 recovery miles done.

Hope everybody has a great Saturday!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Damaris - Was that 5 last night and 4 this morning?  Looks like many had a good night out last night.

I have 5 or 6 recovery scheduled for today.  Will do it after I get some plumbing done in the upstairs bath.  Off to shop for suppllies for now.  Got 2 pairs of Asics merino wool socks on sale at running warehouse today.  9 bucks a pair is alot better than me having to travel to LRS and pay 15 per pair for another brand.

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Yes, 5 horrible miles last night and 4 nice ones today.  Enjoy your run!

Damaris

Fundraising Page