Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Preparation for Manhattan Half not ideal, with just 2 x 8 mile TM runs all week. In addition, transport issues meant that I arrived 10-15 minutes late (bonjour le stresse) and just managed to pass the start line before they pulled it up. No warm-up or stretching. I haven't downloaded my Garmin yet, but to kill all suspense, time was 1:55:06. Quite happy considering the week that that's preceded, the temperature and late arrival. oh, and I forgot the hilly profile from my list of excuses. Also happy that the splits were pretty constant, all between 8:45 and 8:50. All in all, a good workout. Objective for HM will be to beat my PR end of March.

Next week the serious stuff begins with Pfitz: 50 miles on the program, which will be a record for me if I make it.

Speaking of 15K, I have never raced this distance, will probably give it a try in MArch / April, as there are a couple in New Jersey around that time.

Good running to all!

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Smashy!!!

Mdawg, excellent news on the calf. Hopefully it's only good news from here on.

Indi, thanks for the shout out. Yes, i am pleased with the mileage. But I'm also pleased with the quality of the paces.

Zoe, sorry it didn't go as planned. But a PR is a PR.

Docket, sorry it didn't go well. There's always next week, right?

Darkstreets, congrats on the sub4!

Simon, welcome back.

TFS, glad you enjoyed your race.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

nachosgrande

cbus - nice mileage and paces.  me thinks you are going to crush your spring race schedule.

tfs - congrats on the enjoyable half.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

zoe - nice job on the 15k.

Simon - welcome back!

cbus - nice job on the LR! Think I am going to buy some Ronins today.Smile

Morning Donuts! Damn frezzing rain nixxed my run this morning. I got in some spin/strength/core instead. Hoping for 4-5 recovery miles after work tonite once it clears up. I had a decent LR yesterday for 13.3. Most miles in 8:00-8:10 range. Legs had a bit of zip in them yesterday. Confidence booster on hilly HM course I'm running in March. Ironically avg. pace was 8:18 which is goal pace for my Hanson LRs if I was following Hanson right now.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

I feel ya jedi.  I am looking at the weather and my 14 miler for Wednesday may run into weather problems.  I may well have to pack up stuff and go to a gym quality dreadmill that day.  Hoping not to but, we do what we gotta do, right?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Yes, but I'm not running another next week. Or am I? Shocked  But yes, you win some, you lose some.  I'm glad I finished; those three I saw down and  under CPR, might have not.

Mdawg, excellent news on the calf. Hopefully it's only good news from here on.

Indi, thanks for the shout out. Yes, i am pleased with the mileage. But I'm also pleased with the quality of the paces.

Zoe, sorry it didn't go as planned. But a PR is a PR.

Docket, sorry it didn't go well. There's always next week, right?

Darkstreets, congrats on the sub4!

Simon, welcome back.

TFS, glad you enjoyed your race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

yes indi, hence all my TM runs of late.Smile

I feel ya jedi.  I am looking at the weather and my 14 miler for Wednesday may run into weather problems.  I may well have to pack up stuff and go to a gym quality dreadmill that day.  Hoping not to but, we do what we gotta do, right?

Great job Docket. Sorry it was a tough day.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

mdawg87

Calf healing continues.  It was a little stiff after Sunday's run, but nothing serious.  I had DH use the stick on it that evening.  You can still feel a small "bump" of scar/hardened tissue when you get deep in there.  I'm guessing a couple more weeks before it's fully healed.  I'm going to be super cautious as I don't want a set back.

Zoe:  That reminds me of a half marathon I ran a few years ago.  It was a very crowded race, but we were all zipping along at the pace our corral stated we should be running...i.e., we're all in the right corral.  Then, I hear a guy come up behind the gal next to me and say "on your left".  She turned to him and said your exact comment..."Really dude?  This is a race.  Back off or find a way to get around."

Two Foot:  Nice result with all the day's challenges!  At least it wasn't crowded at the start for you.

Docket:  Congrats on another notch in your marathon belt!

Dark Streets:  Congrats to you too.  Looking forward to a race report.

Jedi and Indi:  Stay warm, safe, and dry!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Thank you all for the condolences and prayers.  It was a tough weekend because my Aunt was a very special lady, but she is in a better place.  I did get in one run while down in Arkansas.  7.25 miles @ 9:30ish.  Run felt pretty good but I somehow lost the sidewalk for the last mile and run was pretty uneven so ITB started to hurt.  Add that to the copious snot running down my face and I just called it a day.  Cold is still lingering and I actually called in sick to work today because I just need to rest.  Great job to all of you on your training runs and races this weekend....I did catch up reading all the pages!  Will get back to personals tomorrow.

Hanson people:  I am sitting down to map out our HM plan (we have 14 weeks so I guess we will just start at week 14) and I do have a question.  I read the book on the trip and understand the paces to run, but since there is nothing in the book regarding his HM plan, I am confused on distances for the speed and strength runs.  Should we just use those suggested in the book for the marathon plans?  Shorten them?  Truthfully, I thought about just doing the beginner marathon plan to keep our mileage up, but do you think that's overkill?  Thanks for any and all opinions!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

dark streets, tfs, zoe, dock, - congrats on your races

cbus - mileage is looking strong

indi & jedi - winter will end eventually, TM miles are better than no miles.

Mdawg - calf news is good news

Sunday run, went out for 9 and came home with 5.5. Legs felt fatigued or not rested so i cut it short to avoid another toe issue. Very windy, foot went numb again and just wasn't feeling it. 5.5 is way better than 0.0. Ended the week with 28.8.

Question : Its not an injury so thats good but, at mile 3 or 3.5 on every run my left foot goes to sleep and may or may not return. My last few 7 milers were mostly with no feeling in my left foot. My toe issue was with the right foot. This has happened in the past when i have taken some time off to recover but it doesnt usually last this long. I have tried changing shoes, loosening lacing, socks, calf compression, stretching, shortneing stride, massaging brefily before and to no avail. Any ideas?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Just finished reading through all the posts made while I was away- sorry too many to respond individually, but congrats to Darkstreets.

Nachos, on the cost of running, I find I get free shirts from races, shorts and tights are expensive but last a long time, shoes can be not too bad if you wait for a sale and if you aren't a high mileage runner, as I am not. Golf seems very expensive as each round costs money in addition to the equipment!

Great month, Docket! You run more miles than I run kilometres. Actually, several of you are embarrassing me this way recently.

Braycon, I did not run a race in a couple of years after my last half, and am just getting back into it now. I did a variety of running, much lower mileage than you, but with tempos as the only speed work. Intervals are now difficult to run at the paces I used to run, but that should solve itself after a "sharpening" period when I get closer to my next race. Your 25-30 miles a week in the slower periods sounds like plenty to me.

Training in lighter shoes- I find the Mizuno Elixir is great, my NB Minimus are for short distance and tempo only, but have not tried Ronins. Kinvara do not suit my feet but would be another good light trainer.

Our holiday went well, likely the last chance we will have for a family vacation as my son moved out several years ago and will no doubt have a wife and a mortgage before we can afford to go again!

Anyway, we were away 10 days, with a travel day each way, so 8 potential running days, of which I ran 6 times for a total of about 52 miles. Hawaii is extremely hilly and the weather was warm and humid, around 75-80 degrees F all the time. My son is fitter than I am (and 26, not 61!) so I had to run hard to stay with him on the hills, though the flats and downhills are not a problem. I must admit I went too hard and really had a case of DOMS after a couple of runs, also had a problem in my right knee after some steep descents, but the running was terrific!

My son spent several hours on the plane talking with Michael Arnstein and his wife, who are ultrarunners (quite well known) who eat only fresh fruit and uncooked vegetables. Interesting people- Arnstein was there to run a 100 miler, the HURT100.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

indi & jedi - winter will end eventually, TM miles are better than no miles. 

^This

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

AmiK - they have Hm plan on their site. Just use that and and workouts from book. Think tempos done +20sec. Book lines up marathon and half goals and has HMP you should run tempos as it is same pace for marathon. Figures out to be HMP +20sec. Cbus would know better.

Hanson people:  I am sitting down to map out our HM plan (we have 14 weeks so I guess we will just start at week 14) and I do have a question.  I read the book on the trip and understand the paces to run, but since there is nothing in the book regarding his HM plan, I am confused on distances for the speed and strength runs.  Should we just use those suggested in the book for the marathon plans?  Shorten them?  Truthfully, I thought about just doing the beginner marathon plan to keep our mileage up, but do you think that's overkill?  Thanks for any and all opinions!

Up Next:

???

cmb4314

Morning Donuts! Damn frezzing rain nixxed my run this morning. I got in some spin/strength/core instead. Hoping for 4-5 recovery miles after work tonite once it clears up. 

No excuses!! Joking.  (Just kidding Big grin) I got stuck out in freezing rain for ~the last 8 miles of my run yesterday, and it was seriously miserable.  Felt like a million little shards of glass smacking my face.  When it started, I really couldn't get home any faster than I would have by just finishing out the loop.  Could have saved maybe 10 minutes at most, so at that point, I just decided to finish out the miles.  By the time I got home, it looked like someone had dumped sno cones all over the sidewalks.

Two-Foot-Shuffle, Docket, Zoekat, and Darkstreets - Nice job on the races!

Mdawg - Glad your calf is feeling better!

Kudos all around to everyone on their weekend runs - sounds like we're getting to be a speedy bunch Big grin

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

onemile

Morning guys!

Damaris - you are running another full in a week?  Shocked

Amik - I'll let cbus answer your Hansons HM questions - he is following that plan.  I only know about the plan for the full.

cmb - sounds like my run yesterday. ick.  spring will come eventually, right?

Just 6 easy for me tonight.

I've kinda been debating if I just adjust my MP for training or just stick with it.  I've been using 8:30 so far (on week 7 of the plan now) but effort wise / breathing wise it feels too hard to be MP.  BUT at the same time, I'm confident that I can complete all the Hansons tempo workouts at that pace.  I did 7 at 8:30 plus 3 / wu and 3 cd last Thursday and while it was hard, I'm pretty sure I could have done 3 more at that pace (the plan maxes out at 10 at MP).  Do I get more benefit from using the faster pace for training or should I adjust it now to a more reasonable 8:45 pace?