Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

White Lightning

Here's video from the TM tonight, running at 10:00 min/mile.  Any thoughts?  Did a regular speed and slow motion video.  Shoe wear on the left is outside heel and outside toe.  Shoe wear on right side is outside heel and inside toe.  This is why several LRS's have had troubles putting me in a shoe because each side is different

Barefoot

Full Speed

Slow Motion

Play the Game Hard!

nachosgrande

Cbus - i've run in an earlier version of the tempo which i liked.  i thought the 4 and 5s were a little stiff and they didnt fit well with my arches.

josh - it looks as if your pronation is normal in the left leg but youre slightly overpronating with the right leg.  maybe try a lesser support shoe like the ravenna?  i had been running in the adrenalines and switched to a shoe with minimal support (Connects) and havent had any problems.  actually the soreness and swelling i get only happens when i run in the adrenalines now.  i wouldnt worry too much about the shoes' support/structure designation.  just try a ton of shoes on and walk out with the ones that feel the most comfortable to you.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Recovery run tonight.

josh, I cannot see these videos from my office but I will look at them tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Josh, +1 to Nachos comment about not worrying about the label. Yeah, just try on some shoes and walk out with what feels best. But IMO, I see overpronation on both sides. Slightly less on the left, but you can see it at initial contact, and that is where most medial support systems will help. But how you run on a TM will differ from how you run on the roads. And how you run in the first few minutes will differ from how you look after 10 miles. And it also matters what's going on at the knees and hips. So it's very complicated, and one can't make a sure fire recommendation from a short clip.

Another shoe idea, anyone run in the Saucony Fastwitch?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - I should have them tomorrow (love RWH!) in time for my cruise intervals on Thursday. I got the 4 considering I paid $42 for them.SmileDisagree about the Precisions though. Very smooth ride for me and responsive on the toe off. Guess everyone is different. Love that shoe and look forward to Sayonara. Did you see the write up on the RWH blog yesterday? Also where is that race calendar you update? i did not see post in list.

Jedi, I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the Ronin (Flinders: thanks for your thoughts too). Are you going for the 5? Or the 4.

I ran in the 4 once, and I remember thinking they were too narrow underfoot to be used for training. But what I love about the Elixir is that it's got a bit of snap, for a more responsive toe off. The Precision just feels room much like dead fish on my feet. And if the Sayonara is anything like the Precision, then I'm worried it'll feel like dead fish too. That's why I'm wondering about the Ronin for workouts and stuff.

Morning Donuts! 8.6m w/10x400s@ R pace (VDOT 49 6:00 pace) w/400 recoveries. Did 400s on TM with warm-up and cooldown to/from gym. Plan was for 12x, but got out of house late this morning. Good thing Daniels says i can do 10 or 12.Smile

DR - do you ever take a RD after 26.2?Smile

Banshee - nice job on the run

AmiK - cbus nailed with the recoveries. Sometimes I do half the recovery or a timed recovery like 90sec/2min, but basically same as a recovery 400 though.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

RV, my elevated periods are not spikey, but they are significant.  Do yours occur during exercise only? Mine do.  Do yours occur at predictable times?  Mine generally do:  Usually about 15 minutes into a run, but once after about 4 miles.  Do yours occur during all runs? Mine do not.  I can run the same route two different days at the exact same effort level and one time it will happen and the other time not.  And this is why a stress test concerns me.  If it doesn't happen during the test, its a waste of time, no?

cmb, yeah, weird, your easy HR level is my tempo level.  My max is only about 155.

They initially only occurred when I was running, but later migrated to even just sitting on the couch watching TV.  Mine didn't occur all the time in the beginning, but gradually became more frequent.  It got to the point that I didn't need an HRM to tell that I was in experiencing the fibrillation.  I would initially self convert back to a normal rhythm, but there came a point that that stopped occurring.  I would have to go to the hospital to be cardioverted with the paddles.  I actually ended up undergoing four ablation procedures before they finally got it fixed.  (Two is normal because the likelihood of success on the first one is only around 70%.)

By going to a cardiologist who was a runner and familiar with runner heart rate monitors i was able to get to the heart of the matter much more quickly that otherwise.  I actually showed him the heart rate graphs from Garmin Connect which aided him in his original preliminary diagnosis.  Later that was confirmed by triggering the condition on the treadmill while hooked up to monitors.

They can also give you a device, kind of like a heart rate monitor, that you can wear when running.  You press a button when you feel the fibrillation coming on.  It actually takes a snapshot of 10 or so seconds before the button was pressed and 20 seconds or so afterwards and this data can then be transmitted.  (It is actually always monitoring, but only writes the data when it detects the button press.)  This is probably the best approach when this issue is intermittent.

After I was "fixed" I freaked when I again saw similar readings on my HRM.  It turned out that I needed to tighten my HRM strap considerably.  Even though it felt snug it wasn't on tight enough and that caused the same kinds of readings that I had seen with the PAF.  I also use Static Guard on the insides of my synthetic running shirts to get rid of any noise caused by static electricity.

onemile

Morning guys...

Tonight I have the dreaded Hansons ladder workout of 400,800,1200,1600,1200,800,400 at 5k pace with 400 meter recoveries (~9 miles total).  We are having 50+ degree weather today but tonight it shows 90-100% chance of Rain/Thunder.  I'm trying to decide if I should do the intervals outside, at the indoor track or wu/cd outside and ladder on the TM.

I'd probably pick the indoor track but Thursday is supposed to be 13 with 19mph wind and I'm wondering if I should save my track day for Thursday (I have 13 w/ 7 at MP). I don't think my ITB can handle 2 longer runs on the track.

Morning guys...

Tonight I have the dreaded Hansons ladder workout of 400,800,1200,1600,1200,800,400 at 5k pace with 400 meter recoveries (~9 miles total).  We are having 50+ degree weather today but tonight it shows 90-100% chance of Rain/Thunder.  I'm trying to decide if I should do the intervals outside, at the indoor track or wu/cd outside and ladder on the TM.

I'd probably pick the indoor track but Thursday is supposed to be 13 with 19mph wind and I'm wondering if I should save my track day for Thursday (I have 13 w/ 7 at MP). I don't think my ITB can handle 2 longer runs on the track.

Interesting....  I'm using the purchased Hanson "HansonMarathon 20 week 40 - 60 miles per week" plan and there are no ladders. Smile  This morning I had long intervals of 2wu+3(2m@1/2MPw1mr)+2cd.  He does have a couple of progression runs though, but they are run as 8 miles as follows: MP+50, MP+40, MP+30, MP+20, MP+10, MP, 1/2MP, 10k

cmb4314

Josh - my legs are also different from one another, and my Adrenalines wear somewhat similar to yours - my left foot wears on the outside heel, and center of toes.  My right foot wears outside heel, inside toe.  When I put on a less supportive shoe, the difference is REALLY obvious - my right ankle pronates a lot, and my left ankle barely does.  My right foot also turns out a lot more than my left.  Thusly, my right leg is the one where I've had pretty much all of my injury issues.

7 easy for me today.  My IT band has been really weird since last Wednesday - no issues while running, in fact, it actually feels generally okay when I'm standing, walking, running - it just aches when I sit still.  Not getting any better, but not getting any worse, even though I did a 6 mile tempo (10 miles total) on Saturday, and a 17 mile long run on Sunday.  I'm still wary of a) intervals, which I'm supposed to do tomorrow and b) running the actual marathon.  I'm waffling on going to a PT around here just to see what they say.  There is one that does Graston...Joking

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

bagopux

RV, That was extremely helpful.  Thanks for taking the time to write all that out.  I did take my Garmin HR charts to a cardiologist (who I am pretty sure was not a runner) and he didn't seem to care much about it.  He sent me for a cardiac MRI.  The original reason for the referral was unrelated to the issue we're discussing here.  The MRI on that issue turned out fine and that was that. I will definitely pursue this further.

Smashy!!!

Jedi, the table is forthcoming. I've was absolutely swamped when Sra dropped the bomb on me, and it hasn't let up since. My apologies. But the plan is to have it up by the week's end. Regarding the Precision. That is why I think you'll love the Sayonara, along with all other Precision users. I'm just not sure it'll appeal to the Elixir faithful.

Onemile, I get to skip that ladder workoutSmile. Is there a way to program it onto Gramin? If not I may get to miss it every time! Smile Regarding where to do it. Whatever you choose, it'll be the right choice. Keep in mind that running outdoors in 13 degree weather is another opportunity to look like a ninja.

Cmb, I thought for some reason you were a Graston faithful. But yeah, I'd get Graston done asap. The fact that it's not hurting on the run is a good sign that you might catch it early if you get Graston done now.

Regarding Docket's race schedule, she follows up a marathon with a recovery run of, oh, 26.2 miles...

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Why do you get to skip the ladder? No fair!  Yeah I have it programmed into my Garmin and ready to go for tonight.  It was a PITA to program but no way I could keep track of it otherwise Smile

Onemile, I get to skip that ladder workoutSmile. Is there a way to program it onto Gramin? If not I may get to miss it every time! Smile Regarding where to do it. Whatever you choose, it'll be the right choice. Keep in mind that running outdoors in 13 degree weather is another opportunity to look like a ninja.

onemile

Oh, I'm just using the Advanced plan from their book.  It's also around 40-60mpw but they have 5k paced interval workouts every Tuesday that increase in duration for the first half of the plan.

Interesting....  I'm using the purchased Hanson "HansonMarathon 20 week 40 - 60 miles per week" plan and there are no ladders. Smile  This morning I had long intervals of 2wu+3(2m@1/2MPw1mr)+2cd.  He does have a couple of progression runs though, but they are run as 8 miles as follows: MP+50, MP+40, MP+30, MP+20, MP+10, MP, 1/2MP, 10k

Docket_Rocket

I did, yesterday.  Kickboxing does not count, right? Big grin

cbus - I should have them tomorrow (love RWH!) in time for my cruise intervals on Thursday. I got the 4 considering I paid $42 for them.SmileDisagree about the Precisions though. Very smooth ride for me and responsive on the toe off. Guess everyone is different. Love that shoe and look forward to Sayonara. Did you see the write up on the RWH blog yesterday? Also where is that race calendar you update? i did not see post in list.

Morning Donuts! 8.6m w/10x400s@ R pace (VDOT 49 6:00 pace) w/400 recoveries. Did 400s on TM with warm-up and cooldown to/from gym. Plan was for 12x, but got out of house late this morning. Good thing Daniels says i can do 10 or 12.Smile

DR - do you ever take a RD after 26.2?Smile

Banshee - nice job on the run

AmiK - cbus nailed with the recoveries. Sometimes I do half the recovery or a timed recovery like 90sec/2min, but basically same as a recovery 400 though.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- Milk N Cookies is amazing.  We have a thing of Chubby Hubby in the freezer right now, but my skinny hubby ate most of it already...he left me a pretzel in the bottom as a joke.  MEAN.  I made my way though the green yogurt strawberry the other day.  With all this ice cream talk, you'd think I'd be a fat kid...but I assure you that I am  not (or maybe my pics are all fake).

Josh- they all told me I pronate, only when I went into support shoes, I ended up with injury after injury- now I run in PureFlows and Wave Riders (neutrals).  I do still pronate, technically, but I don't have any calf or leg issues right now, despite higher mileage and more intensity.  I wouldn't rely on anything completely- try different shoes and see what keeps you injury free.  For me it was 18 months of irritating trial and error.

Me- 10 miles today- running log is being updated by Garmin as we speak.  I wish there were a way to do total manual entries for t/m runs, but I don't know how, so I put n my runs plain by mileage for the rest of the week.  Today was outside- a bit slippery out there.

I'm not at work even though I should be- doggie knocked a chair over this morning (metal chair) and scared the crap out of himself, so I am sitting here with the furchild in my lap doing work and posting here before I leave for the day.

Happy running all.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55