Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

mdawg87

Mdawg, Milk n' Cookies is like Cookies n' Cream, but instead of Oreos, it uses chocolate chip and chocolate chocolate chip cookies, with fudge and cookie swirl. It tastes a lot like CnC, but with a B&J's twist. It's awesome!

Oh my...

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Speaking of Ben and Jerry's, we have a flavor up here called "If I Had a Million Flavors".  Apparently the same one in the States is called "Everything but The".  It is chocolate and vanilla ice cream with mini peanut butter cups, chocolate covered almonds, white chocolate and chocolate covered toffee.  Amazing.

This tops any donut I've ever heard of...

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

I've never done that before.  Do you do all runs or just the speedwork like this.

Wow, nice pace on the intervals!

I always program my workouts on Garminconnect.com and then click 'Send to Device' and it puts it on the garmin.  It's easier that way. You just go under Plan | Workouts | New Workout.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Another busy day in court but at least I got to run.  4 recovery miles.  Super slow but I cannot expect it to be fast two days post marathon.  Reflux seems to be under control.  Everything is fine.

Hope everybody is doing well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Tonight's run was pure misery.  I did it outside since the forecast changed to "light rain" and 50 degrees.  That rain was more than light and the trail was flooded in parts and my shoes got soaked, I got soaked and I couldn't see a thing it was so foggy and my headlamp just reflected off of it.  It was soooo hard I just wanted to sit down and cry.  And I couldn't it the paces I wanted.  UGH

onemile

Just the speedwork. It makes it so much easier to put it on the garmin and then keep track of the intervals Smile

I've never done that before.  Do you do all runs or just the speedwork like this.

Smashy!!!

Tonight's run was pure misery.  I did it outside since the forecast changed to "light rain" and 50 degrees.  That rain was more than light and the trail was flooded in parts and my shoes got soaked, I got soaked and I couldn't see a thing it was so foggy and my headlamp just reflected off of it.  It was soooo hard I just wanted to sit down and cry.  And I couldn't it the paces I wanted.  UGH

But you got it done. Fought through adversity. You're BA. Bring on the Tempo! (Oh yea, I double checked, and indeed I do get to skip the Ladder and the 3X1600, he he Cool.)

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like Miami in the Summer.  Sorry it was so bad.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Tried to do this last nite and said it could not do it for my 405 for some reason.

Just the speedwork. It makes it so much easier to put it on the garmin and then keep track of the intervals Smile

Morning B&B! Easy 7+ miles today. Legs kinda beat up from my 400s yesterday, but got it done. Really foggy on run this morning. Excited to get my Ronins today.

onemile - way to get it done. I hate ladders too.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

Cbus- thanks and consider yourself incredibly lucky to skip the ladder and 3x1600!

Jedi - what happened when you tried?  I used to have the 405 and was able to send my workouts to it.  Now I have the 610 but it's pretty much the same deal.

D - glad your reflux seems to be under control. Nice job on the recovery miles.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

it said something like it could only except it but I would still have to hit manual lap button or something. I kinda feel that defeats the purpose imo. Does not matter has half of my quality runs on mill right now anyway due to weather conditions.

Jedi - what happened when you tried?  I used to have the 405 and was able to send my workouts to it.  Now I have the 610 but it's pretty much the same deal. 

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

bagopux

I do intervals that way with my Garmin 305.  Works great.  It forces you to not take too much time between intervals and, most importantly, it keeps track of how many you've done.  Its not that good for shorter stuff like short (10-second) hill sprints or 10 x 100s and stuff like that.  And once you get to something like 5 miles at MP or HMP or whatever, there's really no point.  But everything from, say 200 meters to 30-40 min. pace intervals its really helpful.

Ok so I just sat here and typed a very lengthy post with personals and for whatever reason the computer didn't post it and it got erased Angry.  So, in summary, you are all doing some great runs, especially those speedy intervals for one mile, Jedi, CBus, and Banshee.  Welcome Chewbacca.  Zoe, I hope your pain is better and nothing serious and glad MDawg's recovery is going well.  Docket needs to take a whole day off sometime!  I know I am forgetting some and I am sorry....damn computer!  Anyway, I still have this cold and didn't go to work again today, but I couldn't stand to take another day off so DH and I went to the track to test out running intervals before we start our program next week.  We did 2 mile warm-up and then 4 x 400 with 400 recovery jogs.  I did the first 2 too fast @ 6:57/mile but then hit the next 2 @ 7:15/mile, which was my goal.  They were hard but fun, but I am a bit concerned about doing 12 of them next week.  I was pretty tired today and it was hard to breathe, but I am  hoping it's because of the cold.  We decided to stop then and just do 1.5 mile cool-down as my ITB was starting to ache a little and I was having a coughing fit.  Quick question if ya'll don't mind:  we start our Hanson plan next week and the next 3 Tuesdays, I have to work over 12 hours.  So, I am going to need to run around 4 AM.  Should I do those at the track...does anyone use knuckle lights?  Or should I just use the TM so I don't have to run around a dark track?  I don't mind running early in my neighborhood in the dark, but am a little nervous about the track.  Thanks!  Those of you I missed on personals, I will catch tomorrow.

I'm also doing the Hansons' 40 - 60 twenty week plan and am currently on week 14 and it's going great.  I also get up at 2:45/3:15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays to do the interval work.  I get to the local high school track between 0400 and 0430 depending on how many miles I have to do.  There is enough ambient light (moonlight & reflected light) to see, but the high school turns on lights at 0430 which includes a big spotlight on the track.  I have knuckle lights but have actually never used them.  I also have a headlamp that I've used on the street a couple of times, but I don't like it because of the difficulty with wiping sweat off my brow.

I think if I were you I would try the knuckle lights.  After you get on the track though, you might want to try turning the light off and let your eyes get accustomed to the dark.  You may find that you can see the lane lines totally fine.  You could still carry the knuckle lights in case you need to actually see something.  When those intervals start getting longer I think the treadmill would get even more onerous.

Also, when you write a long post it is not a bad idea to do a Control A / Control C to copy the text to the clipboard before hitting the Post button.  Then if there is a problem you can always paste to a new message and all is not lost.

RV, That was extremely helpful.  Thanks for taking the time to write all that out.  I did take my Garmin HR charts to a cardiologist (who I am pretty sure was not a runner) and he didn't seem to care much about it.  He sent me for a cardiac MRI.  The original reason for the referral was unrelated to the issue we're discussing here.  The MRI on that issue turned out fine and that was that. I will definitely pursue this further.

The name of the portable/wearable device is a Holter Monitor.  You might want to ask your cardiologist about using one to trap your fibrilliation  instances.

I usually just do it for intervals.  For example, yesterday I had 2wu+3(2m@1/2MPw1mr)+2cd and had it set up as a workout. I had the 2wu as the first step, then I had a set of two items that repeated three times, namely 2 miles at 1/2MP followed by 1 mile recovery.  I then had one more step which was the 2cd.

Tomorrow I have 2wu+8m@MP+2cd.  I could set up this latter one as a workout several ways, like 2wu as the first step, 8 miles as the second step and 2cd as the third step,  Or I could do the warmup and cool down the same as above but show the 8 miles as a recurring 1 mile that repeats 8 times, so that I could track my individual mile paces.

In this particular case I probably won't bother using a workout since I have the lap distance set on my Garmin as 1 mile, so I will just end up with 12 laps, the first two of which are wu, then 8 laps of MP and then 2 laps of cd.