Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Getting pounded by rain this morning. Luckily, it's my SRD! But I get to do 5 tempo tomorrow in the snow!

Happy running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Jedi - yeah hitting manual lap would defeat the purpose.  That's a strange error - I haven't gotten that one before.

Bago & RVDowning - I am pretty much the same way. Program it for intervals but not for my MP runs or tempo runs which are easy to keep track of.

cbus - enjoy the rest!

SRD for me too.  I've been enjoying my rest days since I started this Hansons plan Smile

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

I finally got the race calendar table up on the sticky. You're only on it if you've posted your races with relevant info on that sticky. If you want to be on the table, please post your info to the sticky--I'd love to be able to memorize peoples signatures, etc., but I don't have the mental capacity, so I'm asking you to post your info to the sticky.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

nachosgrande

Jedi - I had the same issue when trying to schedule a workout on my 405.  I never bothered to find a solution.   I run all of my speed work at the track so I don't really need the workout function.

I've got weights/core scheduled during lunch and then 5 easy miles after work.  Had a scare at the end of a 3 mile run yesterday - some real pain in my left leg right where the inside of the tibia meets the ankle (again when I tried to run in the adrenalines).  No pain later on while running around barefoot with my son, so I'm hoping it was just a random kink.  I think there is definitely something to be said for a minimal shoe allowing your feet/legs to do what they were naturally meant to do.

Ball of Fury

Thanks RV!  I really hate the TM and with the longer workouts, I would be pushing it to get them done before work (gym doesn't open until 5) so I think I will at least try the track.  I am not sure what time the school turns on the lights.  The track is at the back of the school and it just seems like it would be pretty dark.  I have a headlight but I don't like running with it.  I may try the knuckle just to have something in case.  And thanks for the posting tip...I did not know you could do that!

I'm also doing the Hansons' 40 - 60 twenty week plan and am currently on week 14 and it's going great.  I also get up at 2:45/3:15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays to do the interval work.  I get to the local high school track between 0400 and 0430 depending on how many miles I have to do.  There is enough ambient light (moonlight & reflected light) to see, but the high school turns on lights at 0430 which includes a big spotlight on the track.  I have knuckle lights but have actually never used them.  I also have a headlamp that I've used on the street a couple of times, but I don't like it because of the difficulty with wiping sweat off my brow.

I think if I were you I would try the knuckle lights.  After you get on the track though, you might want to try turning the light off and let your eyes get accustomed to the dark.  You may find that you can see the lane lines totally fine.  You could still carry the knuckle lights in case you need to actually see something.  When those intervals start getting longer I think the treadmill would get even more onerous.

Also, when you write a long post it is not a bad idea to do a Control A / Control C to copy the text to the clipboard before hitting the Post button.  Then if there is a problem you can always paste to a new message and all is not lost.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

I wonder if I might be misunderstanding what we are trying to do to our 405s as far as intervals go. I have all of my pfitz speedwork programmed in with warm ups, cooldowns, and recovery portions, and havent had any problems. All of the alerts are automatic, including speed up or slow down. I use the training center software that came with my watch. I do not use garmin connect.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

bagopux

O Great Shoe Guru (Shuru?), I come to you seeking knowledge:

I'm currently in Saucony Ride 4s, which is a pretty vanilla shoe with a 12 mm heel drop and decent cushioning.  Since the Ride 5s have an 8 mm heel drop I need a new shoe.  I would like to try an 8 mm drop, so the Ride 5 is definitely an option.  Any other recommendations?  Got to have decent cushioning for my old knees but I don't have any particular pronation or supination problems.

thanks.

onemile

This is how I do it on Garminconnect.com-

1.  Go to New Workout.

2. Create the workout. Add the intervals.

3. Name it and save it.

4. Then click Send to Device.  It then puts it on your Garmin Watch (You need the Garmin Communicator plugin for this).

5.Then on your Watch go to Training - Workouts - Custom and choose it and select "Do Workout".  Then press start.  It will then tell you what to do... It will tell you the interval pace and for how long and you just run it. It beeps when the next interval / recover starts and tells you on the screen what to do.

Garmin Connect

I wonder if I might be misunderstanding what we are trying to do to our 405s as far as intervals go. I have all of my pfitz speedwork programmed in with warm ups, cooldowns, and recovery portions, and havent had any problems. All of the alerts are automatic, including speed up or slow down. I use the training center software that came with my watch. I do not use garmin connect.

And man, nothing is worse than having it tell you "SPEED UP" "SPEED UP" and you are like fuck, I'm trying!

bagopux

If you can get it to work, the Garmin Connect interface is a lot nicer for setting up workouts.

nachosgrande

onemile - thanks for the tip...and LOL.

Canuck

Afternoon all.  Meetings most of the day today, so haven't had much time to sit down at the computer.  I had my chiro appointment this morning - he agreed with my self-diagnosis of shin splints - he really noticed that the front of my right leg - both the muscle over my shin and then the front of the calf where it attaches to the tibia - was quite a bit tighter than my left leg, so that appears the cause.  Did some ART work there and then did Graston for both legs.  Didn't go as deep on the Graston as last time since my calves didn't respond well previously.

Anyway, I'm going to take one more day off today - still having some pain in my shin for certain movements, but it does seem to have improved.  Will try a run tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to get back to it, but I will probably lay off speedwork for a couple of weeks and just run the majority of my runs easy.  I've run through shin splints before, they don't generally hurt while you're running, just afterwards, but you have to really make sure to address the underlying cause or they just keep getting worse (and ice after every run).

I haven't used the workout function of my Garmin yet, I should try that next time though.

onemile - sounds horrible, but hey, you were able to get it done!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

White Lightning

Afternoon all.  SRD with yoga on tap but instead think i'll just hop in the pool and hot tub and relax.  Still cold with no sun, a bit depressing.  Spent all day looking for cheap plane tickets so I can get away from the cold for a few weeks.  Trying to find an island I can fly to and just chill out in the sun.  Had ART this morning on my hip, still think its pretty amazing stuff.  Feel like new.  Stressing that I need to keep working on my leg strength.

Hope everyone has a great night

Play the Game Hard!

Zoekat - my wife did jazz and ballet growing up and when they got shin splints they would do a stretch:excercise that is putting your heel as far back behind you on the ground and then lifting the foot an inch off the ground and touching your pointed toe to the ground way out in front of you while keeping your torso straight and upright. Repeat each foot in 20-30 rep sets a couple of times a day until  better. Usually only takes me 2/3 days.

Cbus - thanks for taking care of the race board

onemile -  that's rough. Mental ammo for ya

josh - take pictures

one hour one spin for me at 5:30 this AM and 4 miles at 9:00 minute pace this PM

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Evening!  Next to impossible to catch up here today.  Today was a horrid day at work, etc.  But at least I prevailed and I was able to do my hour of kickboxing.

Sorry for being MIA.  I'll be better tomorrow!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Cbus and onemile - happy rest day!

nacho - hope the pain was a random one-time thing!

zoe - sorry it's not all going the way you want. Hope your shin splints heal up soon!

joshlynn - I did a yoga DVD last night and think I liked it. I'm going to do it every other night or so.

docket - nice work on the kickboxing!

8.5 at 10:29 average pace tonight. Just a nice, easy run. Graston today was much better and much less painful too. We used a laser on my bruising and it's already looking much better. Hopefully I'll be able to wear shorts the next time we get some great weather! Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop